• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
So you are both on team $299 + $499?

Yeah I am. I think they are looking for both a price differentiator (for mass market) and performance differentiator (for enthusiasts). If, for example, the consoles came in at 10, 12, and 14 TF... I could easily see people saving the money and going lockhart. Numbers obviously pulled out of thin air.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So you are both on team $299 + $499?

I've been there since the rumors started that there would be 2 different skus at launch.

A $100 difference doesn't seem like enough to me to justify launching 2 separate skus. It seems like a weird way to stretch resources when most outlets would likely just recommend the higher priced box at that point.

Feb 10, 2018
GPU, hard drive size, no disc drive and lower rated PSU will easily make up the $200 retail price difference.
Smaller/cheaper die. Less and smaller memory. Those will be the main methods, as those are the two most costly components. They could even do 8/12GB again.

The leak that suggested the $299 +$499 split also stated that both would use NVMe ssd (backed up by hmqgg )

I suppose 1/2 the tflops and 2gb less ram might get them close enough.

$299/£249 is one hell of a steal to play next gen games I might get one of it can manage 1440p.

But one other thing, in the reddit leak lockhart is rumoured to be 4tflops, which makes sense if it's aiming for 1080p and anaconda is 12tflops and aiming for 4k.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The leak that suggested the $299 +$499 split also stated that both would use NVMe ssd (backed up by hmqgg )

I suppose 1/2 the tflops and 2gb less ram might get them close enough.

$299/£249 is one hell of a steal to play next gen games I might get one of it can manage 1440p.

But one other thing, in the reddit leak lockhart is rumoured to be 4tflops, which makes sense if it's aiming for 1080p and anaconda is 12tflops and aiming for 4k.
I would treat Lockhart as a 1080p machine. Probably with slower WiFi as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember saying anything about PS5s price in particular. However, if my memory is failing me please do find an older post of mine talking about PS5s price.

You might be talking about someone else.

I guess it wasn't you. Maybe I'm thinking about the Reddit leaker. Too many sources to keep track of. But do you have an idea on the price?

Lock - ~4tf
PS5/Snek - ~12tf

?

I can't see Lockhart having less TF than the One X.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
Surely they couldn't make a 4tf machine and call it "next gen" when the X would be more powerful

I think it would make more sense to spec it higher then needed 5/6btflops if aiming for 1080p because some devs are bound to use 4kcb/1440p on the high end machines.

But if 12tflop machine are doing next gen games at 4k, a 4tflop would look exactly the same at 1080p, games would a lot better then the pro and X lol

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think they'd probably leave enough overhead to be able to handle Anaconda games that targeted 1440p at 1080p.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Lockhart can just be touted as 3x more powerful than Xbox one S. While anaconda is 5x

Edit: NVM lol.l just googled the tf power... Oh yeah I'm wrong hahahaha

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Incentive to give the hardcore a better machine that won't be lacking immediately. $500 now is a lot different than $500/$600 back in 2006 btw.
I also think there would be a big difference in that they presumably wouldn't reinvent the wheel and give developers an architecture they hate and would instead just give them more of what they want

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
We're back to 4TF? lol. They're not going to make a PS4 Pro-level GPU for their "next-gen" console when they've the past couple of years telling you how much better the X is than the Pro.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If lockhart is $299/£279 then the value of the X1X is going to tank so hard, no one's going to want them.

With full BC for Xbox One games, that won't matter. I would expect the Xbox One line of consoles to continue to receive support but are only there in passing to really move the Xbox brand forward to what's new.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're back to 4TF? lol. They're not going to make a PS4 Pro-level GPU for their "next-gen" console when they've the past couple of years telling you how much better the X is than the Pro.
Well there is not much else they could be doing. Making 2 4k system with 1 running on high settings and the other on medium doesn't make much sense.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Lockhart 4TF GPU has to be bullshit.

A 4TF GPU in a Microsoft console that plays Scarlett games, would be for the inexpensive (sub $200) xCloud streaming device that still needs some amount of compute power.

No way Lockhart is 4TF haha.

Unless Lockhart IS the cheap streaming device.

It's been assumed for some time that there would be 3 devices under the Scarlett umbrella.

1. Anaconda
2. Lockhart
3. inexpensive streaming device which relies mostly on xCloud but needs some compute to reduce latency.

So maybe the TFlops for those machines are:

12 TF
8 TF
4 TF

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Well because logic let me think that it will 399.....leave Lockhart free market at 299 is stupid as fuck......I would be VERy shocked if the ps5 is a 499 with a lockart out at 299 or also a 399

If the PlayStation 5 is the only console from Sony that's competing for Lockhart and Anaconda is being sold at $499 then that would imply that Sony is confident enough in their exclusives and the hardware power of PlayStation 5 that it is providing at that specific price (despite it being weaker than Anaconda).

This is if assuming the Anaconda is selling at $499 which is what most people has been kind of throwing around.

Honestly, though, I am not sure if 1 SKU is a good idea for Sony, but I have a weird feeling that Sony is becoming arrogant again and we all know what arrogant Sony likes to do so. I would not be too surprised I guess if that turns out to be the case.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the PlayStation 5 is the only console from Sony that's competing for Lockhart and Anaconda is being sold at $499 then that would imply that Sony is confident enough in their exclusives and the hardware power of PlayStation 5 that it is providing at that specific price (despite it being weaker than Anaconda).

This is if assuming the Anaconda is selling at $499 which is what most people has been kind of throwing around.

Honestly, though, I am not sure if 1 SKU is a good idea for Sony, but I have a weird feeling that Sony is becoming arrogant again and we all know what arrogant Sony likes to do so. I would not be too surprised I guess if that turns out to be the case.

Why do you think Sony is getting arrogant again?

Nov 12, 2017

Exactly ..this is what I'm thinking too...1 SKU strategy isn't gonna work with a competitor that is eating ur lower price market and at the same time on specs ..(if everything align with the past confirmed rumors)
I'm one who think that power matter...(lots) but for most buyers 100 or more dollars are enough to change idea instantly. For this reason I would say that would be stupid an Anaconda at 499 without a lockhart for the entry level market ...as it would be stupid (if we accept the existence of Lockhart) the PS5 a 499 leaving the biggest part of the market to Lockhart. This is the ABC ..IMHO PS5 is 399 or Sony have another sku.....or if Lockhart exist ...would be a PS3 gen again especially if Anaconda end up being more powerful at the same price .

Feb 23, 2019

Why is it assumed that Anaconda is more powerful than PS5 if they are the same price?

Status
Not open for further replies.