• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Let me fix that for you "I definitely see Sony TLoU2 Playable on PlayStation 5 as well once it launches"

Ok. It's getting late here I am heading to bed. Good night fellas.

I see, so you could be referring to ytilibitapmoc sdrawkcaB rather than something classically cross gen or remastered *taps my nose*

Thank you for reinvigorating our discussions, have a good night

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
If the resolutions and settings are scaled well it won't make a difference.
For example the switch can play some current gen games despite it being significantly less powerful then the base consoles.
Lockhart could be 1/2 the tflops of anaconda and it would work with

Lockhart 1080p - 1440p
Anaconda 1440p - 4k

I understand the HOPE is for Lockhart to be 10tf but then I wouldn't understand the point of it. Then it's 399$ and andaconda is 499$. I don't get that.

The only way Lockhart makes sense is if it's 300 and andaconda is 500$. Or whatever there needs to be a 150$ difference or more. Lockhart should be the 1080p box and andaconda the 4K box. Lockhart being around 5-6 tf and andaconda being around 12tf.

Why make Lockhart at all if it's so closely spec'ed and priced to andaconda.

Remember, the baseline is more important than a higher-end SKU. If Micrsoft, and its ever-growing lineup of first party studios, ever hopes to match Sony's first party studios in the next generation, then Microsoft needs to have the most powerful base console, that at least matches Sony's PS5 price. That is more important than having a more powerful premium model at launch, because it is the base model that every developer assumes people will have.

It's not so much about pixel resolution, but what the hardware is capable of overall. I don't believe the 4K vs 1080p/1440[ argument works across the board just like that. The less powerful Microsoft machine either won't be capable of matching what an Anaconda or PS5 can do if developers target far more advanced graphics, or, the lower-end Microsoft machine will hold Anaconda back (but not Sony's 1st party on PS5, or 3rd party devs who go the extra mile). Sony has had the most powerful base console since 2013 (1.8TF) and started off at $100 less expensive than Xbox One (1.3 TF), regardless of Microsoft choosing to put an albatross around Xbox One's neck with Kinect, charging $100 more.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
In terms of games development would HDD be a bottleneck?
Isn't all it would do is increase loading times?
But games would be the same because everything is loaded and read off the ram anyway?
Only if the RAM is too small. With 16 or 24 GB, I doubt if it will and if they have a few GB of dedicated flash memory for caching than it won't be for sure.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony announced that there would be no E3 presence only to "AH-HA!!" and reveal PS5 during E3 I am going to laugh my ass off. That would be so needlessly dramatic.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
PSX in December and PS5 reveal event already in February/March would be pretty weird. It has to be one or the other.

What will they show at PSX? If it is to show more of Ghost Of Tsushima, The Last Of Us 2 and Death Stranding (counting that these games will not be released in 2019), maybe it is better not to do it, as they decided not to do E3. They need to reveal the PS5 on PSX, or leave to show more of those games (and some others that have not yet been announced) in the PS5 event.

There is also the possibility of doing PSX as an event for fans without any kind of keynote and broadcasts. It would just be an event to gather fans and do panels with developers about some games.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If Sony announced that there would be no E3 presence only to "AH-HA!!" and reveal PS5 during E3 I am going to laugh my ass off. That would be so needlessly dramatic.

lol, it would be funny to see unfold, and ya know I just realized I wasn't remembering one of their quotes properly. I thought they had said they would not be holding any other events around the time of E3, but in fact the line was:

When asked if Sony would push its event off-site, similar to how Electronic Arts provides a show adjacent to E3, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark elaborated further saying, "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3."

So that just precludes the possibility of them doing something in the general area around E3. Damn, while it's not confirmation of anything I think I would wind up laughing uncontrollably until I pooped if they did pull a stunt like that. Such a move would have to be seen as a sign of confidence though, either in the console, their game lineup, or both.

Well, in the unlikely event they're doing something around the time of E3 they'd have to send out press invites what, about 2 weeks before the event? Or would 1 week be enough time given so much of the press would be headed to E3? Where would they hold it, the PlayStation Theater? Checking the event bookings for that location in June they have events June 1, 8, 11 and 13th. The 11th would line up with Sony's traditional E3 press conference date, so that would be out. No reason they couldn't hold something in that window between the 1st and the 8th though.

Anyways, enough fantasizing for now. Going back to expecting something either at the end of the year or early next year. :)

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
AMD Holding Partners Summit On April 23 – 7nm and Navi On The Agenda
https://wccftech.com/amd-partners-summit-april-7nm-navi/

There is more from clickbait site. WCC site says its not a GCN GPU. ??? I am a little confused here.

AMD's Navi GPU, the first non-GCN GPU, is ready for launch

NAVI GPU is a very special GPU, in fact, it is slated to be the first graphics card from AMD that will not be made on the GCN macro-architecture. This is something that I was told in my talks with AMD insiders more than a year back – the same people who told me that NAVI is not landing before 2H 2019. While we have no idea what specs AMD will decide to go with, we do know this will be the first GPU architecture capable of breaking the 4096 SP limit imposed by the GCN macro arch. This is exciting stuff because it will put AMD back in the GPU game.

HWINFO.
hwinfo-amd-navi-1480x646.png

That said, it would make sense for the company to start off slow and with mainstream segment cards rather than the high end one. In fact, I have been told that one of the earliest SKUs will have just 40 CUs – which translate to a core count of 2560 SP if the CU to SP ratio is the same as GCN (of which there is no confirmation as of yet). If that is the case then we are looking at a performance metric that will go up against the GTX1660 Ti/RTX 2070 class of cards – which is really the most profitable and voluminous segment

Navi will be a new microarchitecture and the same IP that powers the succeeding Navi die. Here's the thing though: there have actually been rumblings that AMD is going to start with Navi 12 first and not Navi 10. And it is the Navi 12 GPU that will have 40 CUs. If this is true, then Navi 10 is going to be the flagship part that y'all need to look out for. The performance of the card will be somewhere around the Vega 56 depending on the clock rate, but much cheaper!

https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-preliminary-support-added-to-hwinfo-as-amd-gears-up-for-launch/

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They aren't at E3 because a: Layden doesn't like how it is nowdays b: nothing really to show

Yup, and that's absolutely positively certainly most likely the case. It's just the thought of all that being a giant troll to then announce the PS5 at a separate event at the same time or around the same time as E3 is too funny a picture to not laugh :)

First Kaz did the "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?" line only to announce the PS4 reveal event soon after, and maybe Shawn Layden wanted to one-up that with a troll on a much grander scale. lol

...But yeah, seriously, we probably won't hear anything until the end of the year or early next year. :)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Now hypothetically speaking what if I told you that Sony is doing this as bait? Microsoft will obviously have a conference at E3 in and most likely revealing their consoles at this point, they've been quiet vocal about their plans recently and their future stuff for the most part with all these studio purchases, project xCloud and so on.

What if Sony decided to do their own event on same day Microsoft is doing theirs but at a completely different venue and nowhere near E3 but rather once again in New York or whatever they place they want DURING the happenings of E3.

The reality is that sooner or later they will have to make some noise, they can't let Microsoft have the entire show floor to themselves for a whole week of E3. Something needs to happen either during it, or VERY SOON after. This is my 2 cents - take what you will from it.

EDIT - Overall though, if it's not during the Summer, then I would say Fall/Winter (which is still 2nd half of 2019 - it includes June to December) is a very good bet as well and honestly with PlayStation 25th anniversary coming up in December of 2019 which is around same time as PSX then this is pretty much guarantied where they break silence.
Damn, while it's not confirmation of anything I think I would wind up laughing uncontrollably until I pooped if they did pull a stunt like that. Such a move would have to be seen as a sign of confidence though, either in the console, their game lineup, or both.

Well, in the unlikely event they're doing something around the time of E3 they'd have to send out press invites what, about 2 weeks before the event? Or would 1 week be enough time given so much of the press would be headed to E3? Where would they hold it, the PlayStation Theater? Checking the event bookings for that location in June they have events June 1, 8, 11 and 13th. The 11th would line up with Sony's traditional E3 press conference date, so that would be out. No reason they couldn't hold something in that window between the 1st and the 8th though.

Anyways, enough fantasizing for now. Going back to expecting something either at the end of the year or early next year. :)
Jeez. Sign of confidence? That would be a ridiculously aggressive move. I have no doubt it would be cheered by gamers everywhere, but what a shitty (and as you said needlessly dramatic) thing to do that would be. Anime betrayal indeed. I can't imagine that would go over well with the other platform holders, though. It would be arrogant Sony throwing its weight around just because it can (or if you have faith in what Microsoft and/or Nintendo and/or Google are doing, desperate Sony trying to salvage some attention). I can't imagine that accomplishing much except getting the other players to team up to take down the bully on the playground.

But yes, I too would laugh if Sony trolled the entire industry for the giggles. (What if State of Play was just to deepen the ruse..)

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
So Sony doing their own event basically? In the Fall of 2019? Hm.

Ok let's put it this way in simple math/marketing terms -

#1 - January 30th of 2013 is when the PS4 Event Reveal date was announced.

#2 - February 20th, 2013 is when PS4 was Announced.

#3 - PS4 Launched on November 16th of 2013.

So we have same year announcement, same year release.

Now we live in a bit of time now and things do change within the industry on when/how are things officially talked about and what not. However, one thing I've learned is that there is always a general rule of thumb which is a time frame that's usually always in same spectrum.

The difference between February 20th and November 16th is basically 9 months.

If PlayStation 5 is going to be released in March 2020 (As Sony currently was/is planning (unless something internally changed in their strategy or something is lagging behind)

then let's do this - March is the 3rd month of 2020, take away 3 months you're in 2019. Take away another 6 months you're in June. What's in June ? E3. But wait, Sony is NOT doing or attending E3 at any form whatsoever.

Now hypothetically speaking what if I told you that Sony is doing this as bait? Microsoft will obviously have a conference at E3 in and most likely revealing their consoles at this point, they've been quiet vocal about their plans recently and their future stuff for the most part with all these studio purchases, project xCloud and so on.

What if Sony decided to do their own event on same day Microsoft is doing theirs but at a completely different venue and nowhere near E3 but rather once again in New York or whatever they place they want DURING the happenings of E3.

The reality is that sooner or later they will have to make some noise, they can't let Microsoft have the entire show floor to themselves for a whole week of E3. Something needs to happen either during it, or VERY SOON after. This is my 2 cents - take what you will from it.

EDIT - Overall though, if it's not during the Summer, then I would say Fall/Winter (which is still 2nd half of 2019 - it includes June to December) is a very good bet as well and honestly with PlayStation 25th anniversary coming up in December of 2019 which is around same time as PSX then this is pretty much guarantied where they break silence.
They'll do their event by announcing big games in 2019 with at least TLOU2 and maybe Death Stranding or surprise like Demon's souls remastered. That would be enough to draw attention on them and kill a bit of MS hype.

If they release PS5 in 2020 that makes absolutely no sense to announce in 2019. They won't take the risk to lose precious sales from holiday 2019. Besides, they already stated they wanted to follow the Apple methodology by announcing hardware just before the release. Announcing in 2019 for a 2020 release makes only sense for forumers like us, because it's exciting. But economically for Sony it would be utterly stupid.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
If they release PS5 in 2020 that makes absolutely no sense to announce in 2019.

I agree.I really can't see Sony announce PS5 year in advance like MS did with Scorpio or what they plan to do with Scarlet.If PS5 is announced in 2019-it will launch in 2019.
The whole idea with PS5 announcement at some PSX in Q4 2019 in order to launch it in Q4 2020 doesn't make any sense at all.Q1 2020 launch doesn't make much sense to me either,why skip Q4 2019 holiday season? What do they get with few months delay?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree.I really can't see Sony announce PS5 year in advance like MS did with Scorpio or what they plan to do with Scarlet.If PS5 is announced in 2019-it will launch in 2019.
The whole idea with PS5 announcement at some PSX in Q4 2019 in order to launch it in Q4 2020 doesn't make any sense at all.Q1 2020 launch doesn't make much sense to me either,why skip Q4 2019 holiday season? What do they get with few months delay?
If it's releasing in March then it's getting revealed this year, you don't reveal your next gen console a month or two before launch as marketing takes time, the few months delay from holiday 2019 could also be as simple as none of the big 3 are ready and they want to launch with one of them.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing Another User Over a Series of Posts; Accumulated Infractions
Haha so all the roads for you lead back to 2019 despite literally every big name in this thread telling u ps5 is 2020? I know u have me on ignore because u can't stand someone telling u 2019 isn't happening.just let it go :D 2019 IS NOT HAPPENING

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
If it's releasing in March then it's getting revealed this year, you don't reveal your next gen console a month or two before launch as marketing takes time, the few months delay from holiday 2019 could also be as simple as none of the big 3 are ready and they want to launch with one of them.

I dunno,the whole Q1 2020 launch doesn't make much sense to me,Q4 is much more realistic.That said,Sony will be in a tricky situation if their plan is now Q4 2020 launch after MS announces next gen consoles at E3 in June,plus Stadia launch later this year.
It's really puzzling that they left such a huge gap-basically after E3 2018 to some point in 2020.Something is not right.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I dunno,the whole Q1 2020 launch doesn't make much sense to me,Q4 is much more realistic.That said,Sony will be in a tricky situation if their plan is now Q4 2020 launch after MS announces next gen consoles at E3 in June,plus Stadia launch later this year.
It's really puzzling that they left such a huge gap-basically after E3 2018 to some point in 2020.Something is not right.
I don't really think they are bothered with Stadia as streaming is still a new thing and doubt will affect them just yet, easily next year launch means 6 months having the market for themselves, I don't see why it wouldn't make sense or Sony saying no to that.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I don't really think they are bothered with Stadia as streaming is still a new thing and doubt will affect them just yet, easily next year launch means 6 months having the market for themselves, I don't see why it wouldn't make sense or Sony saying no to that.

I have a feeling there were some issues with Sony management after Andrew House left in 2017.I don't think Kodera was up to the task,probably that's why Jim Ryan is taking over now-you don't change CEO every year in normal circumstances.

Broncs

Nov 26, 2018
Ps5 could release at any time of the year & sell out which is why an early 2020 release could easily work. You get the big launch sales & then load up again for the holidays rather than combining both in one hit, selling out, then not having stock for weeks.

Here in Australia we had to wait months before the next ps4 shipment so they lost out on all the Christmas sales. Pretty sure it happened around Europe as well.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a feeling there were some issues with Sony management after Andrew House left in 2017.I don't think Kodera was up to the task,probably that's why Jim Ryan is taking over now-you don't change CEO every year in normal circumstances.
Dude the delay is not due to Sony management .amd is not ready with Navi and once they r ,first they will put out PC cards.so all these delays are due to gpu being delayed by amd.out of Sony hand .but again u won't listen to his and in few page u LL say u wonder why Sony management of ps5 was so bad and why they didn't launch 2019.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It was true 8 months after the PS4 Pro had launched. We are talking about the first months of the PS5 so these numbers are the only numbers that matter. It could actually be worst in the PS5's case because the price difference will probably be higher than 100$ from the current gen consoles and the Pro does 4Kc, the difference between that and 4k native isn't very noticeable to most people.

It's a very bad idea to launch a new console without exclusives, especially if the old console that runs these games is the most popular console on the planet.

Less to do with exclusives and more to do with having a base PS4 $100 cheaper. When pro came out you're already in the more price sensitive phase so the drop in PS4 is by far the more relevant device. Pro is trying to sell in large part to people that already bought a PS4 in 2013 as an upgrade (Sony themselves said it was partly to prevent those players moving to pc)

1:5/1:4 whatever is possibly a big success for Sony helping to have some higher ASP maintained and engagement with the enthusiasts for longer.

I'm serious regarding sales of pro vs 1X whether Somy might be tempted to go higher in price for a ps5 pro

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Though I doubt the 3 of them will release at the same time (as in PS5 launch).

Obviously this will depend on when PS5 is launching (if early 2020 then maybe some of them will release after that), but I can see one or two of them releasing before fall 2020 and then having a upgraded version at PS5 launch. Wonder how Sony would monetize that though, crossbuy would be ideal and not a "remastered" version.

They could flip it around and have one or more launch on ps5 'optimised and built around the capabilities blah blah' and then 'also available for PS4. positioning it not like a BC thing or a simple patch but trying to push more as a ps5 launch game without losing the ps4 market

I still think Spring 2020. First 6 months is enthusiasts anyway, get your production ducks in line during summer, build word of mouth and have a big first fall with the usual third party heavy hitters. And spring is already established as a big secondary season nowadays with Sony having tentpole titles out and more third parties choosing it instead of the crazy fall period

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Dude the delay is not due to Sony management .amd is not ready with Navi and once they r ,first they will put out PC cards.so all these delays are due to gpu being delayed by amd.out of Sony hand .but again u won't listen to his and in few page u LL say u wonder why Sony management of ps5 was so bad and why they didn't launch 2019.

I don't believe AMD not having Navi ready (if that is even true) has much to do with Sony's PS5 Navi-based APU program. I remember a lot of noise about delays and whether it would live up to expectations around Polaris in Q1/2 2016 yet meanwhile Sony had final silicon/spec hardware in the PS4 Pro dev kit over 6 months before Polaris launched.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
lol, it would be funny to see unfold, and ya know I just realized I wasn't remembering one of their quotes properly. I thought they had said they would not be holding any other events around the time of E3, but in fact the line was:

When asked if Sony would push its event off-site, similar to how Electronic Arts provides a show adjacent to E3, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark elaborated further saying, "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3."

So that just precludes the possibility of them doing something in the general area around E3. Damn, while it's not confirmation of anything I think I would wind up laughing uncontrollably until I pooped if they did pull a stunt like that. Such a move would have to be seen as a sign of confidence though, either in the console, their game lineup, or both.

Not 'activate' so that sounds like not even send out invites? They can't leave the floor entirely open to MS ago get all the press. Maybe they could put out spoiler comments or an interview talking in general terms - 'it's our 25th anniverary', 'PSX is big for us', 'maybe some interesting things to talk about this year', 'technology is always evolving' etc. Just create some buzz to take the edge off whatever MS talk about

If we put aside the February reveal, they could ditch the tech talk by Cerny and just do the 'e3-launch' phase. So that's more like a 5 month lead time - they could theoretically do a holiday announce and spring launch.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting that the latest fad is the belief that Sony would intentionally release PS5 6 months early just to keep ERA happy, and basically have it come out in small shipments.

Frankly the whole "it would sell out anyway" argument is pure fantasy. Sony isn't going to trickle out PS5 as they made them through out 2020; they are going to do what they did with PS4, which was to make them and build up inventory for 6 months or more, and THEN release them all in one go in November.

The amount of PS5's they will sell would be the same either way, but the big difference is that they would literally have an explosive November when their entire store inventory would be sold all at once, generating massive media interest and headlines of "best selling Sony console Ever!"

Selling the PS5 in small batches every month from March onwards is just a silly concept. There is no benefit to Sony to do it that way when the PS4 way was already a proven success. Sony does NOT want PS5 to be an Enthusiast machine, they want everyone to be able to buy it. Making PS5 release in small batches is just ensuring the average Joe never get their hands on one, and the scalpers making a killing.

Also I do note that I tend to rain on people's parades a lot in this thread. But it is just because I am not invested in this emotionally, and as such have no stakes in wanting the PS5 as soon as possible to the detriment of Sony.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't believe AMD not having Navi ready (if that is even true) has much to do with Sony's PS5 Navi-based APU program. I remember a lot of noise about delays and whether it would live up to expectations around Polaris in Q1/2 2016 yet meanwhile Sony had final silicon/spec hardware in the PS4 Pro dev kit over 6 months before Polaris launched.
didn't Polaris pc card in 14 nm (better than pro which was 16nm) launch in june 2016? so 4 months ahead of PS4 pro.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
didn't Polaris pc card in 14 nm (better than pro which was 16nm) launch in june 2016? so 4 months ahead of PS4 pro.

14nm was GF, 16nm was TSMC is all. Launch dates are correct but I'm talking about what we subsequently found out with the NEO docs leak. It stated clearly the dev kit had final spec hardware and that dev kit was tested by Japan MIC in December 2015.

Maybe,i dunno.He says card will be long (according to Google translate).

Btw, 8GB almost certainly means 256 bit bus,i think.

Physically long/big? How would that be known right now? Seems an odd thing to know at this point!?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I find it interesting that the latest fad is the belief that Sony would intentionally release PS5 6 months early just to keep ERA happy, and basically have it come out in small shipments.

Frankly the whole "it would sell out anyway" argument is pure fantasy. Sony isn't going to trickle out PS5 as they made them through out 2020; they are going to do what they did with PS4, which was to make them and build up inventory for 6 months or more, and THEN release them all in one go in November.

The amount of PS5's they will sell would be the same either way, but the big difference is that they would literally have an explosive November when their entire store inventory would be sold all at once, generating massive media interest and headlines of "best selling Sony console Ever!"

Selling the PS5 in small batches every month from March onwards is just a silly concept. There is no benefit to Sony to do it that way when the PS4 way was already a proven success. Sony does NOT want PS5 to be an Enthusiast machine, they want everyone to be able to buy it. Making PS5 release in small batches is just ensuring the average Joe never get their hands on one, and the scalpers making a killing.

Also I do note that I tend to rain on people's parades a lot in this thread. But it is just because I am not invested in this emotionally, and as such have no stakes in wanting the PS5 as soon as possible to the detriment of Sony.

Ok, firstly, you need to quit the snooty 'hivemind ERA lives in a bubble and only thinks of itself' garbage. The concept of the early, BC-focused PS5 release is not about 'pleasing ERA', it's about targeting essentially the same audience that went for the Pro and the X, which, last I checked, numbered in the millions of people and are also responsible for an larger % of actual game and subscription sales then those millions would suggest. Assuming the Xbox wasn't coming unit November that amount is more than enough for a substantial lead. It's not about making the PS5 itself an enthusiast console, it's about recognising a market of millions and catering to that market, without taking anything away from the casual customers who will buy the console later.

Secondly, the idea is not that Sony would start making the PS5 in February and sell it in drips and drabs from March onwards, which would be ridiculous. It's that, if the PS5 spec that Sony decided on (7nm, Zen2, Navi, GDDR6) is ready to start being manufactured late this year, but the next-gen games are not ready until late 2020, then waiting an extra 6-7 months to release it would be rather pointless, assuming the existence of enhanced BC.

And lastly, you might think that building up all the stock for a November blowout would be the obviously better way of doing it, but that's merely your opinion, and I don't agree. The earlier release would mean that:

- Sony has the most powerful console and the best place to play games for 6 months.
- Sony has the only console on which demos of next-gen games can be released, building hype for the holidays.
- People who care less about which next-gen console they get as much as getting it ASAP will jump on the PS5, when they might have gotten the NextBox had they released simultaneously.
- PlayStation goes into the holidays with a sales lead of several millions, with the NextBox starting behind the 8-ball.

It's guesswork and speculation, but I really do not see how some 'best-selling PlayStation' headlines trump that.

Like I said, this is an idea that involves some assumptions. Obviously if Sony can't start making the PS5 until later into next year, or if the NextBox releases in March with proper next-gen exclusives, or if the PS5's BC doesn't have enhancements, or any number of things, then it would become a bad idea.

The predictions from well over 1 year ago about RAM prices falling significantly are coming true.

I expect Sony and Microsoft to take full advantage of this, and I know they're likely to be using GDDR6, but still.

Won't GDDR6 benefit from the same price drops as DDR4? I was under the impression that it's all DRAM in the end.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Sony announces their games 3-4 years before release, why not announcing a console 1 year earlier? 🙂

Anticipating hype for a console like that doesn't make any sense just look at Project Scorpio, so much hype surrounding the console but it only sells well once it's on sale for 350 - 399.

Hyping hardware one year before is a mistake, simply because hype dies half way waiting for it.

I'd rather have something like the Pro which was announced and quickly released

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Yeah, I'm sure it will. You're right, it's all DRAM anyway. That's why I put "but still" at the end of my post, without thinking about it too much.
Knew it in the back of my mind.

Well, fingers crossed. It would be nuts if these price drops went even further and we actually got 32GB GDDR6 in a repeat of the PS4's announcement. Though I do think that the 24GB GDDR6 + 4-8 GB DDR3 would be smarter, assuming that it was cheaper.

Should this also lead to LPDDR4X being cheaper?

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

They could have announced their used games policies and no online check in prior to E3 in 2013 but they chose the dramatic route of leaving it ambiguous until the big stage. The drama can work for them

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There is more from clickbait site. WCC site says its not a GCN GPU. ??? I am a little confused here.

AMD's Navi GPU, the first non-GCN GPU, is ready for launch

NAVI GPU is a very special GPU, in fact, it is slated to be the first graphics card from AMD that will not be made on the GCN macro-architecture. This is something that I was told in my talks with AMD insiders more than a year back – the same people who told me that NAVI is not landing before 2H 2019. While we have no idea what specs AMD will decide to go with, we do know this will be the first GPU architecture capable of breaking the 4096 SP limit imposed by the GCN macro arch. This is exciting stuff because it will put AMD back in the GPU game.

HWINFO.
hwinfo-amd-navi-1480x646.png

That said, it would make sense for the company to start off slow and with mainstream segment cards rather than the high end one. In fact, I have been told that one of the earliest SKUs will have just 40 CUs – which translate to a core count of 2560 SP if the CU to SP ratio is the same as GCN (of which there is no confirmation as of yet). If that is the case then we are looking at a performance metric that will go up against the GTX1660 Ti/RTX 2070 class of cards – which is really the most profitable and voluminous segment

Navi will be a new microarchitecture and the same IP that powers the succeeding Navi die. Here's the thing though: there have actually been rumblings that AMD is going to start with Navi 12 first and not Navi 10. And it is the Navi 12 GPU that will have 40 CUs. If this is true, then Navi 10 is going to be the flagship part that y'all need to look out for. The performance of the card will be somewhere around the Vega 56 depending on the clock rate, but much cheaper!

https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-preliminary-support-added-to-hwinfo-as-amd-gears-up-for-launch/

I wouldn't believe any source that says Navi is not GCN. No info from AMD thus far corroborates that.
It seems Navi 10 will be 8GB GDDR6 card:

cc: anexanhume

As expected. It's supposed to be a cost effective Polaris replacement.

Known Navi referenced thus far:
Navi 9
Navi 10
Navi 10 lite
Navi 12
Navi 14
Navi 16
Navi 20

Last edited:

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It will sell out as soon as they put up preorders. 3 months would be enough time

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not 'activate' so that sounds like not even send out invites? They can't leave the floor entirely open to MS ago get all the press. Maybe they could put out spoiler comments or an interview talking in general terms - 'it's our 25th anniverary', 'PSX is big for us', 'maybe some interesting things to talk about this year', 'technology is always evolving' etc. Just create some buzz to take the edge off whatever MS talk about

If we put aside the February reveal, they could ditch the tech talk by Cerny and just do the 'e3-launch' phase. So that's more like a 5 month lead time - they could theoretically do a holiday announce and spring launch.

MS can have their press. Unless they're launching in spring it won't hurt Sony. I think both will release in November but I wish they would release a little before then to get those people who will preorder right away and those first couple sellout weeks done before restocking for the holidays. By that time no one will remember or care who announced first. They won't have preorders available until mid 2020 most likely

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS can have their press. Unless they're launching in spring it won't hurt Sony. I think both will release in November but I wish they would release a little before then to get those people who will preorder right away and those first couple sellout weeks done before restocking for the holidays. By that time no one will remember or care who announced first. They won't have preorders available until mid 2020 most likely
Let me repeat, what you describe would just be a haven for Scalpers who would basically buy up all the stock for the entire 6 months. The "people who preorder straight away" are a small number compared to the army of scalpers would would drown out the supply. Sony doesn't want Scalpers, Scalpers don't buy games or PS+ memberships. Maximise the quantity released all at once is one of the few ways to ensure most real players could get a console. Slow trickle of machines is a recipe for permanent shortage with not even big sales numbers to show for it.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...I really don't think it matters when next-generation releases. There's a healthy appetite for better console technology so a March release, with inherently limited numbers with a new platform, should result in a sell-out.

The throttling element is software. There will need to be something that shows the benefits of a new generation. From that perspective platforms may synchronise to ensure enthusiasts have something to drool over.

Once that seed has been sowed, word-of-mouth takes a hold. Job done.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
- Sony has the most powerful console and the best place to play games for 6 months.
- Sony has the only console on which demos of next-gen games can be released, building hype for the holidays.
- People who care less about which next-gen console they get as much as getting it ASAP will jump on the PS5, when they might have gotten the NextBox had they released simultaneously.
- PlayStation goes into the holidays with a sales lead of several millions, with the NextBox starting behind the 8-ball.

This is sound logic and i think it definitely could succeed. But i do think its alot safer to wait until the big annual games release, we saw what cross gen COD/Fifa/Assassins Creed can do for PS4/XB1 when they launched, i expect they would carry the new systems as well if they launched side by side with enhanced versions of those games.

I would be worried that launching in March with enhancements to last years annual games would result in a perception that there's no reason to buy a PS5 right now, and that sort of stigma can be hard to get rid of, even if its not truly accurate.

But i guess if Q1 is stacked next year with a big titles from EA/Activision/Ubisoft it shouldn't be a problem, i agree that you don't need the holidays to launch consoles because they'll sell out for months anyways. The problem is Sony probably wouldn't want to gamble on that when they know for a fact that those titles will be launching in the fall...whether they're ready or not lol

Status
Not open for further replies.