• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
There's a huge cost differential there, but the gap between what we're expecting of the new consoles and high end GPUs will get even bigger next year.

Am I wrong for thinking next gen will be the most balanced systems we have seen in decades though? I don't see any weaknesses in the components we are looking at. Going into this gen we knew the CPU was shit from the start.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is a difference between having an early "alpha kit" available to a handful of people, and those later stage hardware accurate kits that we usually get leaked documentation from.

We're getting to the point where it's plausible that third parties would have the earliest kits.

Dude said many devs have kits now and specifically called out Ubisoft. Neither of those things are true.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Am I wrong for thinking next gen will be the most balanced systems we have seen in decades though? I don't see any weaknesses in the components we are looking at. Going into this gen we knew the CPU was shit from the start.

Depends on whether they'll use SDD or not. If they stick with a HDD, it will be a bottleneck.
But from a traditional perspective taking into account CPU and GPU, yeah they'll well balanced. RAM may be a limiting factor though.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was true 8 months after the PS4 Pro had launched. We are talking about the first months of the PS5 so these numbers are the only numbers that matter. It could actually be worst in the PS5's case because the price difference will probably be higher than 100$ from the current gen consoles and the Pro does 4Kc, the difference between that and 4k native isn't very noticeable to most people.

It's a very bad idea to launch a new console without exclusives, especially if the old console that runs these games is the most popular console on the planet.
They should probably think about EOLing the Pro once PS5 comes out and do a PS4 super slim to discourage the pro as an upgrade path for the millions of PS4 owners. They could label the Pro as being an experiment.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Dev kits out in the wild are PC with console target spec'ed kits in a dev kit form factor, not the real ones with new silicon. New silicon dev kits are only inhouse in prototype stage. Applies to Sony and MS as well.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, keep in mind that Sony and MS can still show next-gen exclusives that aren't necessarily coming at launch. Infamous: Second Son wasn't a launch game but was still revealed with the PS4. Same with Quantum Break for Xbox One.

I fully expect Sony to go all out and show games further down the pipeline like Horizon 2 at the PS5 reveal. Same for Microsoft, I expect to get a glimpse of Playground's Fable game at the Scarlett reveal.
The new Harry Potter game will very likely be at the console launches too as NG exclusive. I reckon Sony has sewn up the marketing rights for that game.

Feb 10, 2018
Depends on whether they'll use SDD or not. If they stick with a HDD, it will be a bottleneck.
But from a traditional perspective taking into account CPU and GPU, yeah they'll well balanced. RAM may be a limiting factor though.

In terms of games development would HDD be a bottleneck?
Isn't all it would do is increase loading times?
But games would be the same because everything is loaded and read off the ram anyway?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty hard to believe a Fall 2019 launched when GDC 2019 just ended and not a peep of next gen information was discussed to developers from either Sony or MS.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I'm surprised that "first half of 2019" wasn't a more popular option, next gen Xbox news seems pretty much guaranteed for E3.

Feb 23, 2019
I think a Spring 2020 is possible for Sony. Recall that Sony introduced the PS4 Pro immediately as the new node shrink was available for the silicon. Isn't Navi targeting this fall?

I see Sony following shortly thereafter to give their hardcore audience access to new hardware as quickly as possible. No reason to wait unless there's a massive shortage of certain components.

For those saying it doesn't have the software...they have TLOU2. If it's a launch PS4/PS5 title just like BOTW, that's all they need to tide them over until the Holidays. And it worked very well for Nintendo.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Something like this at the end of PSX. Nothing fancy. Just something to get a spark going for the firestorm that is soon to come.

So Sony doing their own event basically? In the Fall of 2019? Hm.

Ok let's put it this way in simple math/marketing terms -

#1 - January 30th of 2013 is when the PS4 Event Reveal date was announced.

#2 - February 20th, 2013 is when PS4 was Announced.

#3 - PS4 Launched on November 16th of 2013.

So we have same year announcement, same year release.

Now we live in a bit of time now and things do change within the industry on when/how are things officially talked about and what not. However, one thing I've learned is that there is always a general rule of thumb which is a time frame that's usually always in same spectrum.

The difference between February 20th and November 16th is basically 9 months.

If PlayStation 5 is going to be released in March 2020 (As Sony currently was/is planning (unless something internally changed in their strategy or something is lagging behind)

then let's do this - March is the 3rd month of 2020, take away 3 months you're in 2019. Take away another 6 months you're in June. What's in June ? E3. But wait, Sony is NOT doing or attending E3 at any form whatsoever.

Now hypothetically speaking what if I told you that Sony is doing this as bait? Microsoft will obviously have a conference at E3 in and most likely revealing their consoles at this point, they've been quiet vocal about their plans recently and their future stuff for the most part with all these studio purchases, project xCloud and so on.

What if Sony decided to do their own event on same day Microsoft is doing theirs but at a completely different venue and nowhere near E3 but rather once again in New York or whatever they place they want DURING the happenings of E3.

The reality is that sooner or later they will have to make some noise, they can't let Microsoft have the entire show floor to themselves for a whole week of E3. Something needs to happen either during it, or VERY SOON after. This is my 2 cents - take what you will from it.

EDIT - Overall though, if it's not during the Summer, then I would say Fall/Winter (which is still 2nd half of 2019 - it includes June to December) is a very good bet as well and honestly with PlayStation 25th anniversary coming up in December of 2019 which is around same time as PSX then this is pretty much guarantied where they break silence.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So Sony doing their own event basically? In the Fall of 2019? Hm.

Ok let's put it this way in simple math/marketing terms -

#1 - January 30th of 2013 is when the PS4 Event Reveal date was announced.

#2 - February 20th, 2013 is when PS4 was Announced.

#3 - PS4 Launched on November 16th of 2013.

So we have same year announcement, same year release.

Now we live in a bit of time now and things do change within the industry on when/how are things officially talked about and what not. However, one thing I've learned is that there is always a general rule of thumb which is a time frame that's usually always in same spectrum.

The difference between February 20th and November 16th is basically 9 months.

If PlayStation 5 is going to be released in March 2020 (As Sony currently was/is planning (unless something internally changed in their strategy or something is lagging behind)

then let's do this - March is the 3rd month of 2020, take away 3 months you're in 2019. Take away another 6 months you're in June. What's in June ? E3. But wait, Sony is NOT doing or attending E3 at any form whatsoever.

Now hypothetically speaking what if I told you that Sony is doing this as bait? Microsoft will obviously have a conference at E3 in and most likely revealing their consoles at this point, they've been quiet vocal about their plans recently and their future stuff for the most part with all these studio purchases, project xCloud and so on.

What if Sony decided to do their own event on same day Microsoft is doing theirs but at a completely different venue and nowhere near E3 but rather once again in New York or whatever they place they want DURING the happenings of E3.

The reality is that sooner or later they will have to make some noise, they can't let Microsoft have the entire show floor to themselves for a whole week of E3. Something needs to happen either during it, or VERY SOON after. This is my 2 cents - take what you will from it.

EDIT - Overall though, if it's not during the Summer, then I would say Fall/Winter (which is still 2nd half of 2019 - it includes June to December) is a very good bet as well and honestly with PlayStation 25th anniversary coming up in December of 2019 which is around same time as PSX then this is pretty much guarantied where they break silence.
Crouching level increased to 100.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I don't expect Sony to say anything about next gen until at least TLoU 2 is released. I think the thinking inside Sony is that they want get these last few 1st/2nd party titles out the door (Days Gone, TLoU 2, Dreams, Death Stranding) to bookend the PS4's life in terms of in-house support, so they can start fresh hitting the ground running with PS5 support.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I don't expect Sony to say anything about next gen until at least TLoU 2 is released. I think the thinking inside Sony is that they want get these last few 1st/2nd party titles out the door (Days Gone, TLoU 2, Dreams, Death Stranding) to bookend the PS4's life in terms of in-house support, so they can start fresh hitting the ground running with PS5 support.

I would be very surprised if TLOU2, DS and GoT aren't a big part of the PS5 support as cross-gen titles.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely see Sony releasing a TLoU 2 definitive edition as a PS5 launch title, but I don't see them talking about that until well after the regular PS4 version of TLoU 2 is released.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
I definitely see Sony releasing a TLoU 2 definitive edition as a PS5 launch title, but they wouldn't be talking about that until the regular PS4 version of TLoU 2 is released well after.

Let me fix that for you "I definitely see Sony TLoU2 Playable on PlayStation 5 as well once it launches"

Ok. It's getting late here I am heading to bed. Good night fellas.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Though I doubt the 3 of them will release at the same time (as in PS5 launch).

Obviously this will depend on when PS5 is launching (if early 2020 then maybe some of them will release after that), but I can see one or two of them releasing before fall 2020 and then having a upgraded version at PS5 launch. Wonder how Sony would monetize that though, crossbuy would be ideal and not a "remastered" version.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Yeah, like I said...I think Sony wants to start PS5 out with a bang. Even if TLOU2 is ready, I think they will delay it to coincide with PS5. It would make a huge splash like BOTW did for Switch.
I do think that TLOU2 on PS5 would help sell units but Wii U sold really poorly, a lot of people had to buy the Switch to be able to play BOTW, that's not really the case here.

Feb 23, 2019
I do think that TLOU2 on PS5 would help sell units but Wii U sold really poorly, a lot of people had to buy the Switch to be able to play BOTW, that's not really the case here.

It's not so much about the WiiU or the PS4 as it is about the Switch and PS5.

A big title like that gets a lot of talk/mindshare about the new platform. The hype of both the new release of a AAA game AND a new platform is huge and gives a lot of initial momentum for the platform. Having it release first and PS4 and then be BC on the PS5 doesn't have the same effect, imo...I'd honestly rather wait until PS5 to play it my first go around, and I'll be too temped to play it first on PS4 if it releases before the PS5 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.