• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I know you guys are thirsty for next gen but they need to launch with more than some cross Gen games. Come on guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, just because they can doesn't mean they should do it again. They should wow us with new games.
I think we'll be content with the new experiences. They've been prepping and working on next gen games for a minute and we are still more than a year away from launch (fall 2020 launch). They'll also benefit from not having to "start over" going from one gen to the next. I think all of that will lead to some impressive launch/first year games.

Not to imply game development will suddenly become easy next gen but yeah. I think there are at least a few things working in their favor compared to previous gen transitions.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Well, just because they can doesn't mean they should do it again. They should wow us with new games.

If the next-gen games can't release until late 2020, then you're not getting them until then no matter what. People who want enhanced BC in March shouldn't have to sit around and wait just because you want the console and the games to be released simultaneously.

At least with an earlier March release, they could show trailers for proper next-gen games and release demos for next-gen games from March to November.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Doing some number crunching on this post because why not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ayn97d/amd_66aff1_performance_in_compubench_performance/

This is a purported Navi part compared to Vega VII

Trex: 14.387 to 24.158 frames/s (59.55%)
Ocean Surface Sim: 3586.486 to 6321.65 frames/s (56.73%)
Optical Flow: 37.99 to 81.838 Mpixels/s (46.42%)
Face Detection: 129.803 to 227.011 Mpixels/s (57.17%)

The same post reports that the max CU counts and max clocks are 20 and 555 MHz, respectively. Assuming the SP count is double per CU on Navi as theorized, this would give the following performance uplifts on a SP/clock basis assuming Vega 7 is clocked at 1400MHz:

Trex: 125%
OSS: 115%
OF: 76%
FD: 116%

Obviously these numbers are stupid high and unlikely. We're already taking credit for double SPs per CU, so let's instead assume the clocks are 1GHz even, which would match the decoded values supposedly from one of the leaked APU chips.

Trex: 25%
OSS: 19%
OF: -2.6%
FD: 20%

Those numbers are a lot more believable, and a 20% uplift is right in the neighborhood of what we're expecting. A 1GHz clock would be easy to achieve on 7nm, and hopefully a doubling of SPs per CU would cut down on a little area overhead.

If you instead assume Vega 7 is closer to its boost clock of 1800MHz number for those benchmarks, the numbers are going to skew another 30% in Navi's favor.

If you equalized the SPs (30 CU Navi part), you're talking 90% of the performance of Vega 7 at 1GHz clocks. I think that's looking pretty good. That's around 8TF.

If you want to up Navi clocks a bit to say 1.25 GHz to bring it closer to Xbox One X frequencies, you're now 12% faster than Vega 7 and definitely in 2070/2080 territory. Asking only ~50% more transistors compared to Xbox One X (40 to 60 effective CUs) and negligible clock growth should put you well within your power bounds given 7nm gets you the same performance for half the power. In this case, you'll be at about 80% the power, but obviously way more performance. And these are 10TF numbers. Not some 12/14TF monster.

Again, you can scale these numbers based on clocks, but I've been pretty conservative by gimping the Vega 7. The other major question is how representative these select few benchmarks are of real-world performance.

Edit: this device appears to have 4GB memory, which would indeed be a lower end Navi part.

interesting analysis

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I know you guys are thirsty for next gen but they need to launch with more than some cross Gen games. Come on guys.
I've never understood stuff like this.

Or someone that says "well, the platform only has multiplats"....

I personally believe everything is new if you are playing it for the first time. Every multiplat is exclusive if you have only one console or means to play it.

The games will come.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Do you, by any chance, remember PS4's launch? Yeah, it wasn't spectacular when it comes to exclusives. And despite that consoles were flying off the shelves.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Do you, by any chance, remember PS4's launch? Yeah, it wasn't spectacular when it comes to exclusives. And despite that consoles were flying off the shelves.
Agreed. Engines are more scaleable now in comparison to the transition from previous gen. It will be easier for developers to implement visual enhancements early in the cycle.

Plus you have will have yet to be released current gen multiplats that are already being developed with this in mind. Games from studios like CDPR, Ubisoft to name a couple. Then there is all the year 1 exclusives, not all need to be available on launch date. I look to Switch year 1 to see how well that scheduling worked out.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The issues with spring releases are all going to revolve around software. You'll need to have a strong launch of next gen games and a healthy flow of next gen games for the rest of the year until the big holiday releases when the third parties show off their goods. If you don't, Pele are going to be wondering what they will be playing on their new machines

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The issues with spring releases are all going to revolve around software. You'll need to have a strong launch of next gen games and a healthy flow of next gen games for the rest of the year until the big holiday releases when the third parties show off their goods. If you don't, Pele are going to be wondering what they will be playing on their new machines

They will be playing PS4 games at 4K 60fps. The mid-gen consoles already proved that that's enough for literally millions to buy a console that does only that, so it would certainly be enough to sell millions of PS5s over the first six months, along with the promise of full next-gen games starting at the holidays. That's not even getting into the potential of early demos.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
They will be playing PS4 games at 4K 60fps. The mid-gen consoles already proved that that's enough for literally millions to buy a console that does only that, so it would certainly be enough to sell millions of PS5s over the first six months, along with the promise of full next-gen games starting at the holidays. That's not even getting into the potential of early demos.
Doubtful. The mid gen refreshes were still a ps4 and an Xbox one. These are supposed to be new, different machines and they need to software for that. Yes, weirdly it worked for Nintendo, so far as they went and made old Wii u games have new life, but that was because hardly anyone played them on the Wii u. Pay us $400+ dollars for these new boxes and only have games that you could have just played on the old ones for 5-6 months isn't going to grab most people. It will for us on here, but we're not the typical market.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Thought about dev kits/leaks: i have a feeling when Ubisoft studios get a number of dev kits we will then almost certainly get a proper leak,cause we know by now that Ubi leaks like a sieve :) What do you think anexanhume ?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
AMD Holding Partners Summit On April 23 – 7nm and Navi On The Agenda
https://wccftech.com/amd-partners-summit-april-7nm-navi/
Hehe... You've really got a bead on these things. Thanks for your efforts.
Thought about dev kits/leaks: i have a feeling when Ubisoft studios get a number of dev kits we will then almost certainly get a proper leak,cause we know by now that Ubi leaks like a sieve :) What do you think anexanhume ?
I honestly feel that leaks will be hard to come by this time around. I believe this to be the case because probably unlike any gen before now proper dev Kits will only be given out closer to the launch of the consoles than ever before. Maybe even as little as 3 months to launch.

This I attribute to the extremely scalable nature of current gen tech and how similar next gen tech will be to what we have now. Albeit significantly more powerful but similar.

Basically, all Sony or MS needs to do is tell everyone "ok, just build for a ryzen CPU, Vega 56, at least 16GB of RAM and assume there is an SSD and you will be in the ball park.

Nothing there to leak if thats all that's said.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018

Agreed.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Doubtful. The mid gen refreshes were still a ps4 and an Xbox one. These are supposed to be new, different machines and they need to software for that. Yes, weirdly it worked for Nintendo, so far as they went and made old Wii u games have new life, but that was because hardly anyone played them on the Wii u. Pay us $400+ dollars for these new boxes and only have games that you could have just played on the old ones for 5-6 months isn't going to grab most people. It will for us on here, but we're not the typical market.
Well you are kinda exaggerating.

If they launch in march/April next year there will at the very least be games like TLoU2. And a few other smaller titles.

Then like two months later there will be cyberpunk. And maybe another two months later death stranding. While these are all cross gen games, I dare say over 95% of everything released in 2020 will be cross gen. That percentage will drop noticably in 2021 but probably still over 30%.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
FWIW, I don't believe the consoles will have a problem selling with just cross gen games. I do think it is typically a good time to introduce new IP though and (ideally) a glimpse of what next gen can offer. Many of you claim the CPU bump is the most exciting thing about the next gen, your cross gen games likely will not be taking advantage of that in any meaningful way.

Jan 21, 2019
Am I the only one who is holding off to buy recent releases, as all of them will get enhanced PS5 versions?

I reaaaaally tried to resist Sekiro to hopefully play it at a stable 60FPS on the PS5 but I couldn't, I had to play it and it is awesome. But for Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2 I'll definitely wait. I think these 3 will be close enough to the launch of the PS5 that waiting is worth it, but I should start saving some money. I also need a new AV that allows for 4k60 and HDR passthrough. Got damnit.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well you are kinda exaggerating.

If they launch in march/April next year there will at the very least be games like TLoU2. And a few other smaller titles.

Then like two months later there will be cyberpunk. And maybe another two months later death stranding. While these are all cross gen games, I dare say over 95% of everything released in 2020 will be cross gen. That percentage will drop noticably in 2021 but probably still over 30%.

Yep most of the hardcore will move over right away .
Will try to get a PS5 on day 1 and playing games like Ghost or DS with extra power worth it for me and many others .

Jan 21, 2019
So what are you guys expecting from the PS5 versions of the final 3 games? I think they will be locked 60fps at native 4k. Maybe some better effects here and there, but I can't imagine a strong difference.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't know why but the cutout is making me thing of older sony devices like the d88 and ps-q7

94Xb8n3.jpg

CUzV3zY.gif

Maybe I'm just making the connection because it's all Sony but the cutout part along the disc slot is reminiscent of some other device I know of.

Daaamn. Sony won!
How in the middle of the project not a single person stopped everyone to tell how stupid those designs were?

jobboy

Mar 24, 2018
I reaaaaally tried to resist Sekiro to hopefully play it at a stable 60FPS on the PS5 but I couldn't, I had to play it and it is awesome. But for Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2 I'll definitely wait. I think these 3 will be close enough to the launch of the PS5 that waiting is worth it, but I should start saving some money. I also need a new AV that allows for 4k60 and HDR passthrough. Got damnit.
Damn i'm in the same position, but i'm still resisting (the pc videos really spolied me!!). Luckily my backlog is huge and...who knows...maybe they are going to announce next gen sooner than later :)

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Yeah,that's why i hope more people at Ubi will get access to dev kits soon ;)

Ubisoft had dev kits already for a while. I am pretty positive they've been chugging away at it - Assassin's Creed: Kingdom (Codename) the Viking Set AC game is going to be launching with next-gen consoles (this was confirmed by Jason from Kotaku) and Ubisoft confirmed earlier this year they're skipping Assassin's Creed this year to have more time to focus which is a smart decision.

I wouldn't be surprised that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is also a game being tested on the next-gen devkits as well - this was clearly a very early reveal of a next-gen game. Ubisoft is one of the publishers who tends to reveal next-gen stuff pretty early on without telling you what it is. This was same case with the original Watch Dogs back at E3 2012 I believe.

BioWare as well has devkits and are currently also working on a "Next-gen" version of Anthem (Yes, Anthem is a cross-gen game) but I don't think that's really a surprise for anyone. Think of it basically like the original Destiny before PS4/X1 launched.

Last edited:

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
BioWare as well has devkits and are currently also working on a "Next-gen" version of Anthem (Yes, Anthem is a cross-gen game) but I don't think that's really a surprise for anyone.
Do you know that for sure or are you repeating what one of the "leakers" said before (the guy that mention Anthem being in a horrible state)?

BTW: what can Bioware add to make it look next-gen? They'd have to rebuild the game because 60 fps is not enough.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know that for sure or are you repeating what one of the "leakers" said before (the guy that mention Anthem being in a horrible state)?

BTW: what can Bioware add to make it look next-gen? They'd have to rebuild the game because 60 fps is not enough.

I foresee little to no load time, many more enemies on the screen with better AI, and almost fully destructive environments

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018

Let's be real here - Do you honestly think that a developer like BioWare who's developing the next Dragon Age as we speak and how shitty Anthem runs and looks on current gen consoles that they will not have access to Devkits to upgrade/develop their next games for future platforms at this point?

When next-gen consoles come out next year and those people who stick it out with Anthem (despite all the issues it was having and assuming that the game will get in a much better state in a year's or so time) will only want to play on their old-gen systems with outdated visuals and crappy framerate? Of course not.

Also if you do not mind me asking, what leaker are you exactly talking about? There are many of them, both fake, safe and then the one of few real ones - if you have a link I'd like to see please.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real here - Do you honestly think that a developer like BioWare who's developing the next Dragon Age as we speak and how shitty Anthem runs and looks on current gen consoles that they will not have access to Devkits to upgrade/develop their next games for future platforms at this point?

When next-gen consoles come out next year and those people who stick it out with Anthem (despite all the issues it was having and assuming that the game will get in a much better state in a year's or so time) will only want to play on their old-gen systems with outdated visuals and crappy framerate? Of course not.

Also if you do not mind me asking, what leaker are you exactly talking about? There are many of them, both fake, safe and then the one of few real ones - if you have a link I'd like to see please.

The poster is likely referencing the Reddit leaker that called Sony skipping E3

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
The poster is likely referencing the Reddit leaker that called Sony skipping E3

When did that happen? Must of missed that or have been a while ago and I do not remember. There's many reddit posters lol. If a leaker who said that Sony skipping E3 turned out to be right (which obviously he did) and he says that Anthem is getting next-gen version or whatever then I guess that makes it more credible.

I personally never seen the original leak or anything, I was just going of very obvious and logical sense but that is kind of funny that a leaker already talked about that even beforehand.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Leocarian Well, I expected more direct answer. Yes/no.

Guy I'm referring to is called RuthenicCookie (from reddit). You can find his "leak" right here.

Fair enough, but we can't tell you all the secrets though, because otherwise it would not be fun? :) Ok, joking aside - Do you honestly think that many of the big 3rd party devs do not have devkits yet? If so, then what is your reasoning just curios what makes you think that some developers don't have access to them yet.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Leocarian Well, I expected more direct answer. Yes/no.

Guy I'm referring to is called RuthenicCookie (from reddit). You can find his "leak" right here.

I think the age of yes/no answers are over. To state anything definitely only exposes sources to being exposed. It is better to present the information as a, this is the only logical conclusion, to present definite information without risking sources. Sucks for us, but that's the breaks

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
I think the age of yes/no answers are over. To state anything definitely only exposes sources to being exposed. It is better to present the information as a, this is the only logical conclusion, to present definite information without risking sources. Sucks for us, but that's the breaks

You said it very well. Couldn't of said it better than myself, thank you so much for this. Maybe people now be a bit more understanding :) Much love <3

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
If Cyberpunk 2077 does not release in Spring 2019, no console will release in Spring 2019
It's the biggest non annual third party release in the next few years.

But as the release window for Cyberpunk 2077 is between fall 2019 and fall 2020, it could happen.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Ubisoft had dev kits already for a while. I am pretty positive they've been chugging away at it - Assassin's Creed: Kingdom (Codename) the Viking Set AC game is going to be launching with next-gen consoles (this was confirmed by Jason from Kotaku) and Ubisoft confirmed earlier this year they're skipping Assassin's Creed this year to have more time to focus which is a smart decision.

I wouldn't be surprised that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is also a game being tested on the next-gen devkits as well - this was clearly a very early reveal of a next-gen game. Ubisoft is one of the publishers who tends to reveal next-gen stuff pretty early on without telling you what it is. This was same case with the original Watch Dogs back at E3 2012 I believe.

BioWare as well has devkits and are currently also working on a "Next-gen" version of Anthem (Yes, Anthem is a cross-gen game) but I don't think that's really a surprise for anyone. Think of it basically like the original Destiny before PS4/X1 launched.

Thanks for the info.I am just surprised something didn't leak from Ubi already...mild shock :)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, but we can't tell you all the secrets though, because otherwise it would not be fun? :) Ok, joking aside - Do you honestly think that many of the big 3rd party devs do not have devkits yet? If so, then what is your reasoning just curios what makes you think that some developers don't have access to them yet.
the specs would have leaked if Ubisoft devs had access to it. Bioware too. Third party devs have no incentive to keep them secret like first party devs. I mean your sources and the 20 bioware sources of Jason Schrier would have leaked it to him or you by now.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
the specs would have leaked if Ubisoft devs had access to it. Bioware too. Third party devs have no incentive to keep them secret like first party devs. I mean your sources and the 20 bioware sources of Jason Schrier would have leaked it to him or you by now.

As Anex said,the number of people who have direct access to those dev kits is probably still very limited.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
I think that some third parties already know what's on the table. But I don't know either which of them or how many people are in the know. And I assume that some games will get a next-gen patch. But the older the game, the lesser the possibility of that happening.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Many verified users have said that people have dev kits at studios. Just not a ton of people with access to them to be able to give real information around complete specs.

It's become a bit obsessive since Jason said they're targeting higher than Google to know by how much, but it seems like it'll be pretty much whatever it takes to maintain 4K visual flare.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Many verified users have said that people have dev kits at studios. Just not a ton of people with access to them to be able to give real information around complete specs.

It's become a bit obsessive since Jason said they're targeting higher than Google to know by how much, but it seems like it'll be pretty much whatever it takes to maintain 4K visual flare.

Right. Jason likely has the article with next gen info ready, but is waiting for the info to be more broadly known in the industry to protect his sources

Status
Not open for further replies.