• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I know it's impossible to say for sure right now, but any guesses on how the ps5/next xbox will perform visually compared to gpus today? I believe the X1X can roughly be compared to a 1060. Could next gen be compared to something like a 2070?

I suggest people should temper their expectations for 2070-like performance. Jason stated next-gen is aiming higher than 10.7 Tf and honestly even 11 tf as the starting point is a vast jump over base consoles from last gen's.

Manufacturing costs is going to heavily intercept with other high performance components when it's all said and done. It's a closed platform. There's only so much you can fit in there without transcending 399. Which is what worked for a base PS4.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
...because the market spoke and said "nope" to 700 dollar consoles. (Adj to inflation)

Nobody here is suggesting Sony release a 700 dollar console. We all understand that's not feasible.

500 is.

You brought up inflation! Can't have it both ways! It isn't a good indicator in this case anyway.....

I just think with more competition than ever it would mean Sony taking less/no more risk, not more.

I could see Sony doing the same 2 SKU model if it is true that is what Microsoft are doing but I can't see them having a single $500 model. A $400 one would be a good Goldilocks model if the rumours about Scarlett are true ($300 & $500 models).

Oct 27, 2017
surprised at the post % but at best the new xbox is coming in the first 4 months of next year. will probably be annouced at E3. I see Sony waiting again... no reason for them to come out at the same time as xbox.. so I'd say by September of 2020 for ps5

Feb 10, 2018
I'd suggest people should temper their expectations for 2070-like performance. Jason stated next-gen is aiming higher than 10.7 Tf and honestly even 11 tf as the starting point is a vast jump over base consoles from last gen's.

Manufacturing costs is going to heavily intercept with other high performance components when it's all said and done. It's a closed platform. There's only so much you can fit in there without transcending 399. Which is what worked for a base PS4.

Some where between a vega 56 + vega 64 is quite a logical speculation imo.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Yep, it was posted. I'm very confident XBOX will announce based on history and rumblings from most insiders.

Obviously Microsoft have already done the announce one year, release the next and have been very openly talking next-gen already but I'd be surprised if Sony did the same given their recent history of Apple like short reveal/release. I guess feeling the pressure can change things!?

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking recently about what lessons we can learn from XB1/PS4 launch, and I think one aspect that might be overrated this time around is this "magical" $399 number that many think needs to be hit.

When the last gen of consoles launched, the PS4 was just impartially a better deal. It was more powerful, $100 cheaper and it didn't repeatedly shoot itself in the foot with its messaging like Microsoft did. It leaned into its strengths as a gaming machine and didn't dabble with Kinect and "TV." From a value standpoint, it was pretty cut and dry and it wasn't all that difficult to decide to switch over when the value proposition was so overwhelming.

This time around, it likely will not be that "easy." Say for example Microsoft offers their console with an SSD hard drive, a decent power boost and other advantages at a $499 price point compared to $399 for PS5. I've loved my PS4, but for $100 more for something I'll likely be investing years in, I'd rather just get the more "premium" console experience for slightly more up front. Price will ALWAYS be extremely important, but it likely wouldn't be similar to last gen where Playstation had the advantage in BOTH initial price and power.

One of the main takeaways from a financial point of view this gen has been the explosion in revenue from "services." You get customers used to paying on a monthly/yearly basis, and that is a helluva thing to have that reliable money coming in at a consistent basis. It only seems like this will be more of a thing with Microsoft doubling down on Games Pass and other similar services likely to be beefed up.

There's an insane amount of potential money to be made in gaming if you are the market leader. From a Playstation point of view, with Microsoft doubling down, Google entering, a "strong" Nintendo and whatever other competitors decide to jump in, playing it "conservatively" and not eating a significant loss might be not conservative at all as you're ceding advantages to the competitors for a short-term gain on initial hardware revenue at perhaps the expense of potential consumers buying other hardware and getting invested into that ecosystem.

With all that said, Playstation will likely have a SIGNIFICANT advantage starting the next gen if they truly don't bungle backwards compatibility. While digital libraries and an individuals investment in to a consoles ecosystem weren't nothing back in 2013, the importance of that and potential backwards compatibility has increased exponentially this time around.

It's all going to be real interesting to see who plays it "safe" and who really "goes for it" this time around. Increased competition should be a great thing for us.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Sorry, I think I mistyped - I meant for the game to copy itself to the RAM. Its data would also be on the HDD, but the entire game would fit in the RAM like a temporary RAM drive that I've heard you can make on PC. That really wouldn't be possible?
Well that will be possible. But unnecessary and complicated.

Basically. For a game to run portions of itself needs to be copied into RAM right? The issue with that is that whenever a game is being played and you "go home", as long as you don't close the application or do a complete shut down of the console that game sits and remains in RAM. So when next you come on to play (resume play) you can pick off right where you left off.

So how does the console know that when you are Dilly dallying around the UI, hover over a game, turn to talk to your sister or pick up you headphones; you actually meant to start auto loading that game into RAM and replace what's already in there. Only for you to go back and try and continue playing what you were originally playing and now be forced to a loading screen....

Best thing they can do for all games is what they are already doing now. Only difference is that it needs to be via an SSD to make up for the generational leap in RAM quantity.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
I am hearing that Sony wants to release PlayStation 5 in March of 2020 - however, there is a possibility it will be pushed to Holiday 2020. The March timeline and how quiet they've been lately makes actually a lot of sense.

Majority of their 1st party titles have been released in Spring such as Bloodborne which was in March 2015, Uncharted 4 in May, God of War in April and so is Days Gone as well. I think Infamous was in March 2014 as well and The Order 1866 sometime in late February. With the exception of Spiderman of course which was in September, but I am not sure if that's considered a 1st party title, i believe that's more 2nd/3rd party but I could be wrong.

Also, don't forget Switch launched in March of 2017 as well with Zelda. I know they're 2 completely different companies, but there is nothing wrong with launching a console in Spring season and its been recently done very well.

With that being said, March sounds very plausible.

However, take it with a grain of salt as always.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Still surprised we have not heard more about next gen yet. Compared to the last few gens details have been pretty sparse. Normally we have leaks all over the place in terms of targeted specs or such.

It's kind of exciting actually. With 4k prices way down, and coponent prices across the board down I think there is the possibility of something really special in the works.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I am hearing that Sony wants to release PlayStation 5 in March of 2020 - however, there is a possibility it will be pushed to Holiday 2020. The March timeline and how quiet they've been lately makes actually a lot of sense.

Majority of their 1st party titles have been released in Spring such as Bloodborne which was in March 2015, Uncharted 4 in May, God of War in April and so is Days Gone as well. I think Infamous was in March 2014 as well and The Order 1866 sometime in late February. With the exception of Spiderman of course which was in September, but I am not sure if that's considered a 1st party title, i believe that's more 2nd/3rd party but I could be wrong.

Also, don't forget Switch launched in March of 2017 as well with Zelda. I know they're 2 completely different companies, but there is nothing wrong with launching a console in Spring season and its been recently done very well.

Sorry, but if you don't mind me asking what does that mean?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I've been thinking recently about what lessons we can learn from XB1/PS4 launch, and I think one aspect that might be overrated this time around is this "magical" $399 number that many think needs to be hit.

When the last gen of consoles launched, the PS4 was just impartially a better deal. It was more powerful, $100 cheaper and it didn't repeatedly shoot itself in the foot with its messaging like Microsoft did. It leaned into its strengths as a gaming machine and didn't dabble with Kinect and "TV." From a value standpoint, it was pretty cut and dry and it wasn't all that difficult to decide to switch over when the value proposition was so overwhelming.

This time around, it likely will not be that "easy." Say for example Microsoft offers their console with an SSD hard drive, a decent power boost and other advantages at a $499 price point compared to $399 for PS5. I've loved my PS4, but for $100 more for something I'll likely be investing years in, I'd rather just get the more "premium" console experience for slightly more up front. Price will ALWAYS be extremely important, but it likely wouldn't be similar to last gen where Playstation had the advantage in BOTH initial price and power.

One of the main takeaways from a financial point of view this gen has been the explosion in revenue from "services." You get customers used to paying on a monthly/yearly basis, and that is a helluva thing to have that reliable money coming in at a consistent basis. It only seems like this will be more of a thing with Microsoft doubling down on Games Pass and other similar services likely to be beefed up.

There's an insane amount of potential money to be made in gaming if you are the market leader. From a Playstation point of view, with Microsoft doubling down, Google entering, a "strong" Nintendo and whatever other competitors decide to jump in, playing it "conservatively" and not eating a significant loss might be not conservative at all as you're ceding advantages to the competitors for a short-term gain on initial hardware revenue at perhaps the expense of potential consumers buying other hardware and getting invested into that ecosystem.

With all that said, Playstation will likely have a SIGNIFICANT advantage starting the next gen if they truly don't bungle backwards compatibility. While digital libraries and an individuals investment in to a consoles ecosystem weren't nothing back in 2013, the importance of that and potential backwards compatibility has increased exponentially this time around.

It's all going to be real interesting to see who plays it "safe" and who really "goes for it" this time around. Increased competition should be a great thing for us.
Don't forget exclusives. If power was everything the switch wouldn't be successful. And PlayStation has quite a few tried and tested market movers right now going into next gen. GOW, horizon, spidernan, TLoU2.....etc. All those games are potential 10M sellers.

Having said that, people really need to get over this idea that there will be some sort of significant difference in the all round package between the consoles. Neither Sony or MS are stupid. And they both have tons of really smart people working on these things. And they both know exactly what's at stake.

Like MS knew power alone will not be enough, and probably even knew Sony would probably match them in everything they do and where they don't it wouldn't amount to any kinda meaningful substantial difference.... So what do they do? Buy up a couple of studios.

First and foremost. What has and will always sell any console are the games.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I can agree with that. Maybe not necessarily the second point because we can do educated guesses on next gen consoles based on what we actually know and what is on the horizon for AMD. I would be more suspicious if someone said Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU

Problem is when a leak like the recent Dante XDK leak shows up and looks like someone essentially took this ERA thread speculation and combined it with Brad Sam's codename rumours, with no new or unique information, it starts to look more than a little fishy.

ntkrnl > cboat any day of the week.

Did ntkrnl every set up an account on here?

Twas a joke, fam.

Technical errors aren't always a dead giveaway. Sometimes the leaker doesn't know what they're looking at and conflate a few specs.

True, but the really obvious ones will be, most likely. I tend to er on the side of a healthy amount of scepticism.

To add to this, I think there's some things from past hardware leaks and info that can be applied to future leaks.

On the Sony side, for both Orbis and Neo, the leaks called out AMD's hardware specifically - mentioning "Jaguar" by name as the CPU core and GCN (or southern islands) for the GPU. For Xbox on Durango and Scorpio, they instead described the components as "custom" or apply no specific name or AMD reference (even though they're based on AMD architecture) to the CPU or GPU.

For a leak on PS5, the specific AMD components being listed should be expected (eg: Zen CPU, Navi GPU). But on the Xbox side, I think number of CPU and GPU components can be expected, with clockspeed, but not a reference to an AMD product type which those components are based on (eg: 8 core x64 cpu with multithreading, custom d3d12.x GPU).

Things of course can change, but I'm always suspicious if a leak for Ananconda lists specific AMD hardware - that's not how the Xbox team would label it in their documentation.

And obviously if a price is listed that's a red flag.

This isn't a Sony / MS thing, but more likely a legal copyright / IP requirement.

Jaguar is AMD's owned IP, so taking a standard Jaguar core with little to no customization and calling it "custom" would put MS in some serious hot water. MS has likely historically referred to their APU processors as "custom" because they feel confident the extent of their customization allows them to freely call it that, rather than the standard AMD IP design brand names.

It's most likely an extent of customization thing, so if Sony does some deep customization work on their Navi GPU, they may not call it a Navi GPU either.

It will be interesting because AMD is in an odd place. They have a design that has 300W TDP in 330mm^2. Meanwhile, Nvidia has a die nearly 3 times as big, with higher clocks, that has lower TDP. AMD RTG needs their Maxwell/Zen/Athlon 64/Conroe moment.

Radeon 7 was also over-volted like a horny electric mule. Many owners online are reporting being able to undervolt iso-clocks with the chips running along happily (sure silicon lottery and all that is likely a factor).

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suggest people should temper their expectations for 2070-like performance. Jason stated next-gen is aiming higher than 10.7 Tf and honestly even 11 tf as the starting point is a vast jump over base consoles from last gen's.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. For whatever reason, I was thinking a full generation between the X1X and the next console. Sub 2070 is probably more realistic.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Hearing from where exactly? Another forum? This thread? Your head?
So... on the Kotaku article about AC with a Viking theme, Jason confirms again that new gen is expected to be launch in 2020.

I really hope this is a launch title... AC Vikings on new gen consoles. Nice
And water is wet?

Feb 10, 2018
I know it's impossible to say for sure right now, but any guesses on how the ps5/next xbox will perform visually compared to gpus today? I believe the X1X can roughly be compared to a 1060. Could next gen be compared to something like a 2070?

Nearly all PC games are made with X1S as a base.
They are designed around the limitations of 8 core jaguar, 5gb of 150gbps ram and a 1.31tflop gpu.

I would imagine moving to Somthing like 8 core zen2, 16gb 500gbps+ ram and a 11-12tflop GPU will enable devs to build a more sophisticated foundation, there will be fewer visual and performance trade offs next gen.

I expect visuals similar to tech demos with have seen recently form UE4 (Troll demo), and the unity demo but worse in some areas and better in others.

Those tech demos may have been made using a 2080ti, but full games have a full team and large budget behind them, they will be able to do things not possible with the resources teams had to make tech demos.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
Sorry, but if you don't mind me asking what does that mean?

It simply means what I stated. That PlayStation 5 is planning to be released sometime in March of 2020 as of Sony's today's plans. However, there is a possibility of them delaying it due to whatever reasons they see fit. Basically, you will play PlayStation 5 either in March of 2020 or November 2020 those are current two known months/dates of a console release for Sony.

I also work in industry and own a website so if the mods feel like doing a check, they may do so. However, I do not give out sources due to privacy and job reasons as I am sure you understand. But just because i say something doesn't mean its 100% true and things can always change, so take it for what it is.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
6b7aE22.gif

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Some where between a vega 56 + vega 64 is quite a logical speculation imo.

Agree. Thats a bit more feasible around the 399 price point if we were to 'stretch it'. I honestly would love it, if it was more than that. In fact, I fuck heavily with Sony entertaining something on the ballpark of the Rtx 2070...but those GPU's are currently going for a ridiculous $499 price point. And I don't see that price decreasing much for a Fall 2020 worldwide release. Which is what I reckon PS5 is set to release.

Which is also why I hope Microsoft does talk about next gen at E3 and goes for the 2 model approach of $399 and $499, as the official console hardware strategy for Xbox. So Sony can visit the concept and integrates it to the Playstation family of consoles going forward.

Essentially, you cover the base console following while adhering to the high-end spectrum for the enthusiast. I'm not sure how and if that strategy is sustainable in the long term. As Sony came out very profitable this gen on the hardware and peripherals sectors on the quarterly reports and they would also want to revisit that strategy to keep investors happy and to keep Playstation hardware as profitable as it can be.

We'll see though. My door is always open for better graphics. Wether it be the hardware side or digital side doing the heavy lifting.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Nearly all PC games are made with X1S as a base.
They are designed around the limitations of 8 core jaguar, 5gb of 150gbps ram and a 1.31tflop gpu.

I would imagine moving to Somthing like 8 core zen2, 16gb 500gbps+ ram and a 11-12tflop GPU will enable devs to build a more sophisticated foundation, there will be fewer visual and performance trade offs next gen.
Yep. It's all about baselines.

That's why I'm kind of against the whole low-end Xbox sku thing.

Games will HAVE to be made with that baseline in mind, just like how all multi platform games today are made with the 2013 Xbox One in mind. It's quite limiting.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Problem is when a leak like the recent Dante XDK leak shows up and looks like someone essentially took this ERA thread speculation and combined it with Brad Sam's codename rumours, with no new or unique information, it starts to look more than a little fishy.

Oh yeah if it happens a day or a week after and is basically 1:1 the same leak then I agree, but I wouldn't be suspicious of any 8c/16t Zen2 10TFLOPs+ Navi GPU 16GB RAM 1TB SSD leaks

It simply means what I stated. That PlayStation 5 is planning to be released sometime in March of 2020 as of Sony's today's plans. However, there is a possibility of them delaying it due to whatever reasons they see fit. Basically, you will play PlayStation 5 either in March of 2020 or November 2020 those are current two known months/dates of a console release for Sony.

I also work in industry and own a website so if the mods feel like doing a check, they may do so. However, I do not give out sources due to privacy and job reasons as I am sure you understand. But just because i say something doesn't mean its 100% true and things can always change, so take it for what it is.

Thank you for clarifying I didn't know that. I am in no rush when it comes to PS5. It comes out when it comes out and until then I will enjoy all the great remaining PS4 games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

do you by any chance know any of any PS5 specs?

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that March seems very unlikely. Games would have to go gold about 1-2 months before release depending on when in March. So that may only leave around 10 full months or so to get things right and finished up when seemingly many developers don't have dev kits, let alone even know much about next gen. That just doesn't add up.

Only thing that would make this work is if there were no next gen only games released. If Sony is able to release one disc that has PS5/PS4 Pro/PS4 and plays in all machines they could release one of the big 3 and keep doing that throughout the rest of the year. Because I cannot fathom how a Sony studio could have any showcase next gen only title ready by March(A smaller title by Sony Japan, maybe), that just seems ridiculous.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have to say that March seems very unlikely. Games would have to go gold about 1-2 months before release depending on when in March. So that may only leave around 10 full months or so to get things right and finished up when seemingly many developers don't have dev kits, let alone even know much about next gen. That just doesn't add up.

Only thing that would make this work is if there were no next gen only games released. If Sony is able to release one disc that has PS5/PS4 Pro/PS4 and plays in all machines they could release one of the big 3 and keep doing that throughout the rest of the year. Because I cannot fathom how a Sony studio could have any showcase next gen only title ready by March(A smaller title by Sony Japan, maybe), that just seems ridiculous.
PS5 should have BC, I don't think it'll be a problem, it'll sell regardless if there are a lot of exclusive releases or not.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
just a bunch of cross gen PS5 launch titles
we already have 3 Major IPs Sony has yet to release and seem a far way off from doing so, while apparently there is a remake rumour and another sony IP game for the PS4 making it a total of 5 games (when not including Dreams, Days Gone, Concrete Genie, Medievil, etc...)

too much to cram in before March unless the PS5 just plays PS4 games easily like if it is its own library and/or they release the titles for both platforms

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah if the PS5 has Backwards Compatability I don't even need an amazing launch lineup (I still would love it to have amazing launch titles don't get me wrong!).

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Compatibility is a no question. 100 million PSN monthly active userbase needs to come over to PS5 to keep those Networks Services printing money and investors glowing in 2020.

HesienbergSHO

Banned
Dec 29, 2018
The sooner the better.

Give me 100% back compat with my PS4 titles and push them all to 4k 60fps more and less I am in day one.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
just a bunch of cross gen PS5 launch titles
we already have 3 Major IPs Sony has yet to release and seem a far way off from doing so, while apparently there is a remake rumour and another sony IP game for the PS4 making it a total of 5 games (when not including Dreams, Days Gone, Concrete Genie, Medievil, etc...)

too much to cram in before March unless the PS5 just plays PS4 games easily like if it is its own library and/or they release the titles for both platforms

It's a pretty safe bet to say that Death Standing and The Last of Us 2 are cross-gen titles at this point and will be best played on a PlayStation 5 at launch.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Information
Just a quick note to say that we weren't able to verify the actual information itself. Therefore I'd take the users advice and take the posts here with a grain of salt as always.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Will Sony get thunderous applause like they did in 2013 when announcing price if they show a beast console off and announce $499? I dunno and it would have to show some really mindblowing stuff.

I mean I would be there day 1 but the dropoff after the first 2 months or so would likely be much sharper than ps4

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Common architecture allows Sony/ms to launch with shorter notice, less need to provide dev kits early to 3rd parties which reduces risks of leaks. And third parties minimise risk with relatively simple cross gen support

Status
Not open for further replies.