• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Remove Japan and Europe for PS4 and then compare.

Why would you do that? Do consoles sold in those territories not exist?... what?!?

Of course it's not doom and gloom but it's complicated and 2019/20 will be challenging.

What's complicated about it?

PS4 global sales probably peaked in 2018 and will likely decline YOY until PS5 launches.

To anyone paying attention, its just the general console lifecycle.

PS4 still has latitude for a price drop or two, and that can stem the expected drop in console sales.

PS4 isn't the Wii and noone is expecting the platform's sales to colapse completely.

Point is, if MS can make so much revenue and have such a healthy Xbox business after selling 6+m consoles in 2018, then I don't see why Sony selling 17+m in 2018 means, "OMFG, Sony's Playstation business is colapsing and they need to rush out the PS5 in 2019 or else they will ded!!!!!"

There's a prominent ebb and flow to the console space and it seems to fly in the face of the more, more, more mindset of many investors.

When a company is doing as well as Sony is in this space right now, what's needed is a calm head and a little long term thinking in the face of a natural retraction.

But shareholders want all of the money all of the time. "Growth, growth, growth..."

This.

I didn't say I agreed. Personally I think the sales of PS4 are not relevant to the PS5 release date anyway.

I understood that. I wasn't implying that's what you were saying, I was just answering the point anyway.

And yeah, I agree with you to a large extent.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
One interesting thing i found in comments made by Sony analysts today:

Asymmetric Advisors' Amir Anvaradeh believes that the lack of growth in Q4 is due to Sony's preparation for the next generation.

"There is more downside as we believe slowing growth in its games division signals a very likely PS5 launch for next fiscal year and the ensuing costs that come with the launch of a new platform."

Meanwhile, Macquarie Group's Damian Thong says that promotional spending has increased.

"Strong profits from game software were offset by higher promotional and marketing costs aimed at driving PS4 volumes.
We are moving to the sidelines until we can better assess the risks in the Games segment."​

Sony 2019 fiscal year is from April 2019-April 2020.So it seems some analysts also think Q1 2020 launch is possible.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
One interesting thing i found in comments made by Sony analysts today:

Asymmetric Advisors' Amir Anvaradeh believes that the lack of growth in Q4 is due to Sony's preparation for the next generation.

"There is more downside as we believe slowing growth in its games division signals a very likely PS5 launch for next fiscal year and the ensuing costs that come with the launch of a new platform."

Meanwhile, Macquarie Group's Damian Thong says that promotional spending has increased.

"Strong profits from game software were offset by higher promotional and marketing costs aimed at driving PS4 volumes.​
We are moving to the sidelines until we can better assess the risks in the Games segment."​

Sony 2019 fiscal year is from April 2019-April 2020.So it seems some analysts also think Q1 2020 launch is possible.
This is where im betting

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017

Every time I read statements like that... My brain is like-
What if the next gen is the last and MS and Sony move into a 3-4yr console refresh (i.e. mid-gen updates) with backwards compatibility?

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama

What if the next gen is the last and MS and Sony move into a 3-4yr console refresh (i.e. mid-gen updates) with backwards compatibility?
Nah wont happen

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Those costs are now mitigated with PSN revenue

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Pretty typical. Consoles at holiday are generally heavily discounted. All those PS4 $199 Spiderman bundles drove a lot of volume (revenue) but not much profit (may have actually been a loss). Not unusual to see console profits down at the end of the generation since any $CM left in the console is being eaten up by bundles and price drops.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
I don't think analysts will really consider the factors we might do when thinking about release timing (ie. everything important like hardware, production, software, PR, etc), just the financial implications, so I don't put much store in this view.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty typical. Consoles at holiday are generally heavily discounted. All those PS4 $199 Spiderman bundles drove a lot of volume (revenue) but not much profit (may have actually been a loss). Not unusual to see console profits down at the end of the generation since any $CM left in the console is being eaten up by bundles and price drops.

Thanks as always for your smart analysis Albert! I'm guessing it also makes sense that your average investor wouldn't necessarily follow those trends?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

It seems to me that possible $199 7nm PS4/XB1 "super slims" don't make much financial sense for both Sony and MS.I think they would have to sell them at loss at this point?What do you think Mr Penello?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It seems to me that possible $199 7nm PS4/XB1 "super slims" don't make much financial sense for both Sony and MS.I think they would have to sell them at loss at this point?What do you think Mr Penello?

Their ability to reduce price will depend on how much they can shrink on 7nm, and whether they can go to a 128-bit GDDR6 bus. The latter actually helps twofold since it reduces the die area for memory controllers. And 2x the PS4 GDDR5 is actually below the min spec GDDR6 module, so they could accept poorly binned memory modules, and only need four of them per console.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Their ability to reduce price will depend on how much they can shrink on 7nm, and whether they can go to a 128-bit GDDR6 bus. The latter actually helps twofold since it reduces the die area for memory controllers. And 2x the PS4 GDDR5 is actually below the min spec GDDR6 module, so they could accept poorly binned memory modules, and only need four of them per console.

I see.Thanks Anex.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Thanks as always for your smart analysis Albert! I'm guessing it also makes sense that your average investor wouldn't necessarily follow those trends?

I suspect they would. However, companies are valued on growth and declining operating profits would be something an investor would consider, even if they understand the reason why.

Also profits from services like PSN, Xbox Live, etc. are not counted the same way as a games, accessory or console sale - they have to be amortized over a determined period. So profits from subscriptions will trail losses from consoles which are taken in the year of sale.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
I suspect they would. However, companies are valued on growth and declining operating profits would be something an investor would consider, even if they understand the reason why.

Also profits from services like PSN, Xbox Live, etc. are not counted the same way as a games, accessory or console sale - they have to be amortized over a determined period. So profits from subscriptions will trail losses from consoles which are taken in the year of sale.

Thank you for your feedback, Albert. Insight of this nature is invaluable and a great way to pivot the (lately stale) discussion into something that is much more productive than the typical system warz rubbish.

Oct 26, 2017
The other day me and my buddies were talking about Anthem. One of them thinks the downgrade is thanks to the base consoles. Now I don't know about that. Either way, one of my buddies said he really hopes we won't get that shit with next gen. Basically he isn't fond of the idea at all that MS will probably bring two Xbox consoles next gen.

One that has the specs of the X or slightly better at a very nice price for casual gamers and a very powerful one and much pricier. He doesn't want the weaker one to hold back the powerful one. That devs have to make a game so that it can still run on the "weak" X specced console. But I understand that the fear, since I'm not too sure about that either. Which one will be the base/main console for devs?

We'll just have to wait and see, but really I just wish it was just one new Xbox and one new Playstation.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
The other day me and my buddies were talking about Anthem. One of them thinks the downgrade is thanks to the base consoles. Now I don't know about that. Either way, one of my buddies said he really hopes we won't get that shit with next gen. Basically he isn't fond of the idea at all that MS will probably bring two Xbox consoles next gen.

One that has the specs of the X or slightly better at a very nice price for casual gamers and a very powerful one and much pricier. He doesn't want the weaker one to hold back the powerful one. That devs have to make a game so that it can still run on the "weak" X specced console. But I understand that the fear, since I'm not too sure about that either. Which one will be the base/main console for devs?

We'll just have to wait and see, but really I just wish it was just one new Xbox and one new Playstation.

My main hope is that with Zen2 consoles we will, at least,not have sub 30fps games next gen.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

If they do it right then the weaker console should just have a weaker GPU and less RAM, and only need to use lower resolutions. My hope would be for it to play games at native 1080p60 and reconstructed 2160p30, while the PS5 and Anaconda play them at reconstructed 2160p60 and native 2160p30 (maybe with better textures), though that sort of standardisation isn't likely.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My main hope is that with Zen2 consoles we will, at least,not have sub 30fps games next gen.

We'll start off with more games hitting higher framerates if they were conservative with their ambitions and engines. Then as the generation develops we'll get more games struggling. But by then hopefully variable refresh rate TVs will be more common and that will help us

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

I think this Gen the consoles were mostly CPU limited, as CPU workloads don't really scale they way graphics do, i.e. there's a minimum amount of CPU processing required for the game simulation before it has to be compromised to the point where its no linger the same gameplay experience.

Next-gen, provided the arcade Xbox version shares the same CPU, clocked similarly, it should generally be able to keep up, but then that depends on the magnitude of the delta between the arcade's GPU and the highest spec console's GPU performance.

Given the arcade and Anaconda/PS5 will all almost certainly launch on the same 7nm node, the perf delta between GPUs can only be 2x at most, which is much smaller than the difference between the XB1S and XB1X this gen.

Which in my mind, begs the question, what's the point of two SKUs? Alas, MS clearly thinks there's a benefit to be had, however, I wouldn't be surprised if there's very little performance difference and the biggest difference between SKUs is more around memory, clocks and storage (e.g. NVMe SSD inclusion).

Oct 26, 2017
If they do it right then the weaker console should just have a weaker GPU and less RAM, and only need to use lower resolutions. My hope would be for it to play games at native 1080p60 and reconstructed 2160p30, while the PS5 and Anaconda play them at reconstructed 2160p60 and native 2160p30 (maybe with better textures), though that sort of standardisation isn't likely.

That would be a ideal situation for all the systems really. But you like you, probably not likely.

I think this Gen the consoles were mostly CPU limited, as CPU workloads don't really scale they way graphics do, i.e. there's a minimum amount of CPU processing required for the game simulation before it has to be compromised to the point where its no linger the same gameplay experience.

Next-gen, provided the arcade Xbox version shares the same CPU, clocked similarly, it should generally be able to keep up, but then that depends on the magnitude of the delta between the arcade's GPU and the highest spec console's GPU performance.

Given the arcade and Anaconda/PS5 will all almost certainly launch on the same 7nm node, the perf delta between GPUs can only be 2x at most, which is much smaller than the difference between the XB1S and XB1X this gen.

Which in my mind, begs the question, what's the point of two SKUs? Alas, MS clearly thinks there's a benefit to be had, however, I wouldn't be surprised if there's very little performance difference and the biggest difference between SKUs is more around memory, clocks and storage (e.g. NVMe SSD inclusion).

Isn't that a little disappointing? The gpu difference being much smaller than XS VS X1X? Hopefully they won't let us wait until next year. I'd really like some clarity on this. I really want to be able to look forward to the next Xbox without "fears" that there will be a bottleneck because the lower specced one is the dev platform. Honestly I really doubt that though, MS wants to go all out with next gen and not have any problems again.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Isn't that a little disappointing? The gpu difference being much smaller than XS VS X1X? Hopefully they won't let us wait until next year. I'd really like some clarity on this. I really want to be able to look forward to the next Xbox without "fears" that there will be a bottleneck because the lower specced one is the dev platform. Honestly I really doubt that though, MS wants to go all out with next gen and not have any problems again.
The difference in GPU spec normally is tied to the price of the console, just like it is with PCs. The better PC will cost you more if you want the better GPU but same CPU. Same principle. Depending on your own requirements and demands, you as a consumer have to decide what you want to invest for it. I assume that you can expect a similar gap in performance of around 4TF like you already have this gen with a price gap of $200. I agree that games will usually scale down on resolution and some graphics quality settings between the alleged consoles. Just like today just on a higher quality & resolution tableau.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018

Ni No Kuni at 10-12FPS

On the PS3 emulator RPCS3

Running on Linux

Running on a PS4 Pro

Which is running on dual 4 core modules at 2.13 GHz

Yeah, I'd say Sony could brute force PS3 emulation on an 8 core at 3GHz Zen 2 and while I don't think they could allow for higher frame rates, I think they could up PS3 games resolution to 4K as that would be GPU bound and PS5 would be absolutely capable of delivering that if we base our guesses on current emulators.

This is, of course, running on a non official emulator that is still not able to run games like Metal Gear Solid 4 but you would think Sony has all of the means to be able to make those higher demanding games run properly.

Here's Breath of the Wild running on CEMU, on Linux on a PS4 Pro at 10-12FPS

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Ni No Kuni at 10-12FPS

On the PS3 emulator RPCS3

Running on Linux

Running on a PS4 Pro

Which is running on dual 4 core modules at 2.13 GHz

Yeah, I'd say Sony could brute force PS3 emulation on an 8 core at 3GHz Zen 2 and while I don't think they could allow for higher frame rates, I think they could up PS3 games resolution to 4K as that would be GPU bound and PS5 would be absolutely capable of delivering that if we base our guesses on current emulators.

This is, of course, running on a non official emulator that is still not able to run games like Metal Gear Solid 4 but you would think Sony has all of the means to be able to make those higher demanding games run properly.
That is absolutely hilarious and absolute proof that Sony could have PS3 BC if they just wanted to.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
I think that Nintendo is going to announce the switch revision in march and launch in the summer with animal crossing, sony will do a apple type of announcement , a big ps5 reveal after e3(july or august) with games that going to come out, price and what the console look like for a fall 2019 launch and the next xbox will be in spring 2020 with 2 sku,
ps5: 399$ Ps4 BC with enhancements like horizon zero dawn 4k 60fps GOw 4k 60fps and some games I think will come out next gen
the last of us 2 ps4/ps5 cross gen
ghost of tsushima ps4/ps5 cross gen
uncharted spin off
infamous spin off
killzone spin off
KNACK 3
Deep Down aka dragon dogma 2
horizon zero dawn 2
fallout 5 new orleans

Xbox infinite: Scarlet 299$ and anaconda 499$
halo infinite
new killer instinct
Forza 8
Another tycoon game
Scalebound(im still hoping lol)

That's my predictions

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Color me misinformed! I appreciate you taking the time to educate us Albert!

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
That seems a bit of a stretch. Clearly a lot of optimization would need to be done, and the base PS4 is only 1.6GHz.

I should've been more clear in my post. I meant that in reference to the PS5. I apologize.

Hasn't RPCS3 been a thing for like 5+ years now?
Yes, but the fact that it can run any game at beyond single digit FPS on a CPU as weak as what's in current consoles is new information to me.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I should've been more clear in my post. I meant that in reference to the PS5. I apologize.

Yes, but the fact that it can run any game at beyond single digit FPS on a CPU as weak as what's in current consoles is new information to me.
My mistake then, I see what you meant. I absolutely agree. Zen 2 @ 3+ GHz should have 3-4x the throughout of Jaguar at 1.6GHz.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
My mistake then, I see what you meant. I absolutely agree. Zen 2 @ 3+ GHz should have 3-4x the throughout of Jaguar at 1.6GHz.

There's also AVX512, right? I'm not clear on exactly what that is but I've seen it referred to multiple times in this thread as something that would help the PS5 mimic the vectorised nature of the Cell. I assume that would allow PS3 BC on the PS5 be even faster than the 3-4x CPU boost?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
There's also AVX512, right? I'm not clear on exactly what that is but I've seen it referred to multiple times in this thread as something that would help the PS5 mimic the vectorised nature of the Cell. I assume that would allow PS3 BC on the PS5 be even faster than the 3-4x CPU boost?

I don't think it is confirmed yet that Zen2 will have AVX512...?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony stock is still going down,investors are definitely not happy...

Sony sees biggest drop since 2015 on weaker playStation business
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/04/son...amid-worries-its-portfolio-is-in-trouble.html
"Investors are disappointed with Sony's declining operating profits at its core gaming division"
I think this is why we need to release consoles every 6 years instead of having these ridiculously long 7 year generations. PS4 is bound to have another 'weaker' year this year, and things are only going to get worse next year if Sony can only sell 3-5 million PS5s in the November-December months in 2020. Especially if Sony ends up taking a loss on each PS5 sold in the early months.

This is why I used to team 2019. There is no easy choice here. If they release after 6 years, they risk being outspeced by MS a year later. If they dont, their stocks take a hit for a good two years. If they release in 2019, they might have to take a loss on new hardware, but at the same time, those losses can be offset by PS4 sales that will undoubtedly be higher than they would be in 2020.

I think it came down to not having enough first party exclusives ready. Horizon 2 likely needed more time in the oven, and they have literally no other studios who couldve put out a game at launch in November 2019. I think Sony shutdown too many studios this gen and ended up fucking over themselves becasue all of their 2018 and 2019 studios are likely not going to have games ready until 2021 or 2022 at the latest. Shouldve kept Evolution Studios for a next gen Motorstorm at launch and GG Cambridge for a shooter at launch. Now they have to rely on the ever so unreliable PD and their increasingly shrinking second party studios to deliver.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is why we need to release consoles every 6 years instead of having these ridiculously long 7 year generations. PS4 is bound to have another 'weaker' year this year, and things are only going to get worse next year if Sony can only sell 3-5 million PS5s in the November-December months in 2020. Especially if Sony ends up taking a loss on each PS5 sold in the early months.

This is why I used to team 2019. There is no easy choice here. If they release after 6 years, they risk being outspeced by MS a year later. If they dont, their stocks take a hit for a good two years. If they release in 2019, they might have to take a loss on new hardware, but at the same time, those losses can be offset by PS4 sales that will undoubtedly be higher than they would be in 2020.

I think it came down to not having enough first party exclusives ready. Horizon 2 likely needed more time in the oven, and they have literally no other studios who couldve put out a game at launch in November 2019. I think Sony shutdown too many studios this gen and ended up fucking over themselves becasue all of their 2018 and 2019 studios are likely not going to have games ready until 2021 or 2022 at the latest. Shouldve kept Evolution Studios for a next gen Motorstorm at launch and GG Cambridge for a shooter at launch. Now they have to rely on the ever so unreliable PD and their increasingly shrinking second party studios to deliver.

I'm sorry, but none of this makes any sense. You as well as the rest of us have no clue what Sony is or isn't having ready for the release of PS5. Of course their stocks were going to drop. It's going into the 5th-6th year of PS4 and we are transitioning to a new generation. You don't think Sony realizes this? They just broke the records for some of the highest profits in PlayStation history and you think they don't have their shit together for a successful transition and launch? Come on man.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so kinda weird discussion, but the new days gone trailer is running at 60fps and the youtube options have a 4k 60 option, idk how to pixel count, but can someone check at what resolution it is running? looks pretty good for me.

anyway, my point was that its obvious that ps4pro cant do both 4k resolution and 60fps, so what if, WHAT IF, it was captured from a PS5 dev kit!? just the game running at an unlocked framerate on the pro is very surprising considering the amount of enemies and things happening in this game, but the thought of 4k 60 is impossible, unless if we are talking about next gen hardware.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Sony stock is still going down,investors are definitely not happy...

Sony sees biggest drop since 2015 on weaker playStation business
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/04/son...amid-worries-its-portfolio-is-in-trouble.html
"Investors are disappointed with Sony's declining operating profits at its core gaming division"
I made a thread about this, but no one seems to think it means anything

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bl...the-most-since-2016-on-weak-ps4-demand.97512/

xem

Oct 31, 2017
so kinda weird discussion, but the new days gone trailer is running at 60fps and the youtube options have a 4k 60 option, idk how to pixel count, but can someone check at what resolution it is running? looks pretty good for me.

anyway, my point was that its obvious that ps4pro cant do both 4k resolution and 60fps, so what if, WHAT IF, it was captured from a PS5 dev kit!? just the game running at an unlocked framerate on the pro is very surprising considering the amount of enemies and things happening in this game, but the thought of 4k 60 is impossible, unless if we are talking about next gen hardware.
interesting. here is the video for those interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgNSgxjMJTA

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

It may well be 1080p60 or something, with 4K being an option because that's a normal thing. I've actually heard that YouTube's 4K option has overall better picture quality even besides the resolution, so it would be worth it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Possibly. RPCS3 uses AVX-512, but it's unclear to what performance advantage.
I don't think it is confirmed yet that Zen2 will have AVX512...?

It is highly likely. Sony has made a lot of LLVM commits related to it and AMD has confirmed they've doubled the FP width on Zen 2. They could two cycle the operations just as they do now on Zen 1 for AVX2.

Status
Not open for further replies.