• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
this leak is fake as hell, lmao.
Also isn't Arcturus the gpu after GCN? Why would they stay with 64 CU?
In any case, this leak is more likely guesswork that means nothing, so calm down.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
this leak is fake as hell, lmao.
Also isn't Arcturus the gpu after GCN? Why would they stay with 64 CU?
In any case, this leak is more likely guesswork that means nothing, so calm down.

You want people to "calm down" what exactly? The picking apart of the fake leak? The discussions about which parts could even be theoretically possible? The general skepticism? You seem annoyed that it's being discussed at all but it's a speculation thread.

Edit: Nevermind. I hadn't noticed the user name.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You want people to "calm down" what exactly? The picking apart of the fake leak? The discussions about which parts could even be theoretically possible? The general skepticism? You seem annoyed that it's being discussed at all but it's a speculation thread.

Edit: Nevermind. I hadn't noticed the user name.
i am saying to calm down about people here that are believing every leak they see for no reason and go through hype/meltdowns for no reason.
this leak didnt come from any believable source and thus have no reason to be discussed.
and i dont see what my username has to do with any of this.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
i am saying to calm down about people here that are believing every leak they see for no reason and go through hype/meltdowns for no reason.
this leak didnt come from any believable source and thus have no reason to be discussed.
and i dont see what my username has to do with any of this.

Who is taking it at face value? One user. You're saying "calm down" as if the general sentiment is that this is real and we're all in awe. When in reality it's mostly people breaking down why it's unlikely.

And your user name is connected to an account that seems pretty enthusiastic about Sony so I figure discussions about MS may be annoying to you. That would at least explain why you're telling people having calm rational discussions to calm down.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Who is taking it at face value? One user. You're saying "calm down" as if the general sentiment is that this is real and we're all in awe. When in reality it's mostly people breaking down why it's unlikely.

And your user name is connected to an account that seems pretty enthusiastic about Sony so I figure discussions about MS may be annoying to you. That would at least explain why you're telling people having calm rational discussions to calm down.
well i am disappointed that you see me that way. but if that is how you do, i dont see why i should further prolonge the discussion. so goodbye.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
well i am disappointed that you see me that way. but if that is how you do, i dont see why i should further prolonge the discussion. so goodbye.

See you as what? A super fan? I didn't even say there was anything wrong with it. Like what you like but you have to let others like their thing too without it bothering you. For the record I don't dislike you.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
See you as what? A super fan? I didn't even say there was anything wrong with it. Like what you like but you have to let others like their thing too without it bothering you. For the record I don't dislike you.
i am saying goodbye, because i do not want to derail the thread with a ridiculous fanboy discussion as we can instead discuss more meaningful things.
but for your previous post, no i do not get angry just becasue there is a discussion about MS, i just want for us to discuss things that are not obviously fake.
that xbox reddit leak was an obvious fake that kept on getting talked about, that PS5 epsilon leak was fake and people kept on talking about it (as you can see i am not just shutting down MS discussion). I just wish for there to be meaningful discussion, the problem is that the meaningful discussion points just dont generate enough interest as people want to only discuss numbers, so when a leak with said numbers appear then there is usually a lot of enthusisasm regarding them even though they are obviously wrong for multiple reasons. mainly the epsilon and xbox reddit leaks.
and you are right there was mostly only one person that seemed to have believed the leak, it seemed more when i first looked at it.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
i am saying goodbye, because i do not want to derail the thread with a ridiculous fanboy discussion as we can instead discuss more meaningful things.
but for your previous post, no i do not get angry just becasue there is a discussion about MS, i just want for us to discuss things that are not obviously fake.
that xbox reddit leak was an obvious fake that kept on getting talked about, that PS5 epsilon leak was fake and people kept on talking about it (as you can see i am not just shutting down MS discussion). I just wish for there to be meaningful discussion, the problem is that the meaningful discussion points just dont generate enough interest as people want to only discuss numbers, so when a leak with said numbers appear then there is usually a lot of enthusisasm regarding them even though they are obviously wrong for multiple reasons. mainly the epsilon and xbox reddit leaks.
and you are right there was mostly only one person that seemed to have believed the leak, it seemed more when i first looked at it.

Ok, I understand.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think the leak is fake. The math works out for bandwidth, and GPU too well.

1650 mhz clock for the memory works out to 633 GB/s for the 384 bit bus. 352 bit bus for the GPU means the gpu gets 580gb/s, which is exactly what you need to feed 11.4-11.6 teraflops. The cpu gets 53gb/s, which matches up with Zen/Zen+ cores traditionally needing 50gb/s.

1GB of L4 is way too sophisticated as a fake. Fake leaks would just say stuff like 2GB for OS.

The stuff with the hyper scheduler seems way too randomly nuanced and detailed for a faker to come up with.

People who point point out Scarlett is missing a t. Naming typos happen ALL THE TIME in development.

Can you even divide up the bus width and memory bandwidth between GPU and CPU loke that? Is that even how it works?

My understanding was that GPU and CPU cannot access the main memory pool at the same time, as bus contention is a thing. Both CPU and GPU will have full access to all the data lanes to main memory and will access the main memory independently, requiring one or more bus cycles to refresh the bus between access of each.

Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable posters like anexanhume or Miniature Kaiju cam chime in here?

Nov 12, 2017
Seem that there are some right things in the last leak

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
like, if you want, we can stir this discussion into a lot more interesting things, MS's overall strategy, the implications behind SIE's lockdown, possibly next generation launch games and what tech will they utilize? IMO these topics are ten times more interesting than current discussion points.

are you referring to that MS guy saying its partially true? yea i still dont believe it, there are a lot of issues with the leak and it was most likely just lucky guesses that got some things right.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Yeah sure. Generally the things we've all been guessing here from the beginning. Things you can easily speculate on and don't need insider knowledge to be able to produce a reasonable guesstimate.

You're gonna see a lot of these fake leaks that do this.

Generally, if a leak has some info that's obviously BS, take the whole thing with a grain of salt. You only need to have read this thread to be able to produce a leak like this...

...which makes me think...

...come on guys, fess up! Which one of you was it?

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah sure. Generally the things we've all been guessing here from the beginning. Things you can easily speculate on and don't need insider knowledge to be able to produce a reasonable guesstimate.

You're gonna see a lot of these fake leaks that do this.

Generally, if a leak has some info that's obviously BS, take the whole thing with a grain of salt. You only need to have read this thread to be able to produce a leak like this...

...which makes me think...

...come on guys, fess up! Which one of you was it?
To be honest the only part that made me think was Ms going to use Acturus (or something that isn't Navi)...this would go in line with the infinite rumors about Sony have a sort of deal for the use of Navi ..it would just make sense and explain why all that voices

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I predict the following components. Cpu/Gpu/Mem/Psu and a case to cram it all in. The TF figure I expect to be around the numbers amount,

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
To be honest the only part that made me think was Ms going to use Acturus (or something that isn't Navi)...this would go in line with the infinite rumors about Sony have a sort of deal for the use of Navi ..it would just make sense and explain why all that voices

Does that even make sense? So because Sony have a "lock-in" to Navi, MS is going to get the better newer tech? Isn't Sony shooting themselves in the foot then?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
SEED - PICA PICA demo is real-time software rt. Yeah, it was running on the most powerful GPU at that moment (volta), but it works and it has not only reflections like BFV but also rt-shadows and other stuff. There is almost an hour long presentation from Digital Dragons Conference on how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXo0WdlELJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyTOGHqyquU

PICA PICA can use RTX GPU and it is not full path tracing like Quake 2 but an hybrid rendering demo for Volta and Turing but it runs much better on Turing. And it is a demo on a tiny scene.

https://fr.slideshare.net/mobile/DICEStudio/siggraph-2018-pica-pica-and-nvidia-turing

syysgraph-2018-modern-graphics-abstractions-realtime-ray-tracing-85-1024.jpg

Edit: The leak is fake L4 seriously. SMT disabled. Bus 352 bits.

This is hilariously fake.

Nov 12, 2017
Does that even make sense? So because Sony have a "lock-in" to Navi, MS is going to get the better newer tech? Isn't Sony shooting themselves in the foot then?
lol sure it work just when Sony made the best deals? Lol maybe it was a bet from Ms to delay their launch? Also Phil seemed so sure to have the power advantage 1 year ago ..it is weird

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
lol sure it work just when Sony made the best deals? Lol maybe it was a vet from Ms to delay their launch? Also Phil seemed so sure to have the paper advantage 1 year ago ..it is weird
it is either just meant to show confidence, or MS goes with a higher price for the premium sku that they believe sony would not dare to break. you are reading too much into this imo. i would understand if we already had leaks but the fact sony are avoiding leaks on this level means that MS likely do not have the PS5 numbers either.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Vega hasnt even released yet, scheduled for H2, but a year later Acturus will be ready to go? Sounds impossible to me. Maybe like Sony does adding some feature from the next architecture is possible?

Oct 28, 2017
At the moment, that seems to be in the price range of 399. But that is just hivemind Era speculation ;)

I mean if we get a 7-9tf machine, I'd be happy. We're currently getting games like re2, ace combat, bloodborne, Spider-Man, god of war, and these games look amazing with what, 1tf I think ps4 has?

Another 7-8 tfs on top of what we're already seeing with just 1 should be pretty good.

Now another question. What if devs made games exclusive to the PRO/X, utilizing all their power and forgetting the base models even exist, could they come close to making a next gen kinda impact visually or would they look mostly the same as games made on the base models.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if we get a 7-9tf machine, I'd be happy. We're currently getting games like re2, ace combat, bloodborne, Spider-Man, god of war, and these games look amazing with what, 1tf I think ps4 has?

Another 7-8 tfs on top of what we're already seeing with just 1 should be pretty good.

Now another question. What if devs made games exclusive to the PRO/X, utilizing all their power and forgetting the base models even exist, could they come close to making a next gen kinda impact visually or would they look mostly the same as games made on the base models.
if we are talking 1080p yes, on graphics, the cpus of the pro/x still suck. 4k they wouldnt see any improvement though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hope MS release or delay the next Xbox til 2021.

To get the next gen GPU and be more powerful? While the PS5 takes an uncontested minimum 12 months on the market establishes the basline power level for all multiplatform engines, and can probably leapfrog again with a PS5 pro 2 years later?
Nah.

Cherry pick some of hte next gen tech into PS5/XB2 if they're doing a lot of customisation on Navi. then save the other changes for a mid-gen refresh along with 5/3nm.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

The PS4 has 1.84TF, not 1, and next-gen will probably involve a quadrupling of resolution. Unless there's something in the new architecture that makes each flop go much further, 7-9TF would be very mediocre. It would be a smaller GPU jump than 360 to X1, and that only had a doubling of the expected resolution.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 has 1.84TF, not 1, and next-gen will probably involve a quadrupling of resolution. Unless there's something in the new architecture that makes each flop go much further, 7-9TF would be very mediocre. It would be a smaller GPU jump than 360 to X1, and that only had a doubling of the expected resolution.

yeah - pro needed 4TF to get to checkerboarded 4k so not native (although a good option). X gets to 4k native more often at 6TF. 8TF would not be that big a jump. It'd be around double if you kept checkerboard 4k, but if you tried to push native 4k and especially if you tried to push 60fps due to faster CPU, you'd get a pretty small improvement

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
yeah - pro needed 4TF to get to checkerboarded 4k so not native (although a good option). X gets to 4k native more often at 6TF. 8TF would not be that big a jump. It'd be around double if you kept checkerboard 4k, but if you tried to push native 4k and especially if you tried to push 60fps due to faster CPU, you'd get a pretty small improvement
it gets them native 4k, thoughts about it given they need 7.2tfps to reach 4k at the same quality as the ps4, that being said I stand by my 8tfp guess.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

8TF-9TF needed to guarantee native 4k in most use cases

At the end of the day I think it's going to be between 8-10TF paired with a 8 core Ryzen chip.

I do hope it lands GDDR6 to feed the APU

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Considering all the analysis, info and rumors of the past month, I'm changing my forecast of launch for both consoles to holiday 2020.

As a side note, if what we get in Q3-Q4 2020, is a ~8tf PS5, I think I'll wait it out for a pro version. Personally, for me, PS4 graphics quality at a native 4k just won't justify an upgrade. (Would buy only if PSVR2 launches at the same time)

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

Yeah an 8-9TF machine with better CPUs would be quite impressive. TBH that is what I am expecting in that price range. if somebody goes 499 (or takes a big hit at launch), we might be getting 12TF. I don't see them produce anything better, but who knows.

Anyway... the leap with this gen will be quite good because of the MUCH better CPUs. People will complain about the TFs (some here are expecting 14TF+) but the games will look great.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Yeah - I mean, my personal hope is that they focus on reconstructed 4K at 60fps, along with native 4K30 modes for those who want them. 7-9TF would probably need to aim for only reconstructed 4K30 to look next-gen in other areas.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
it gets them native 4k, thoughts about it given they need 7.2tfps to reach 4k at the same quality as the ps4, that being said I stand by my 8tfp guess.

Why is it compelling to me as a consumer that I can have the same level graphically as the pro but at native 4k? that isn't interesting to me (putting CPU and ram etc aside as that is more interesting)

I agree it might be around 8-10TF but I want to see what meaningful difference it'll bring rather than just slightly more accurately filling in the pixels on my TV when the pro fills them in by 'guessing' but does that guessing well enough for me.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I could care less about 4K but I know it's important for marketing. Give me those graphical effects of weather events and population density.

Edit: I say this to say, I hope more power is not spent just focusing on being able to say "True 4K" but making the embellishments people want to come true.

Worst trend of this generation is going from densely populated France like AC Unity to relatively empty huge open world collectathons like AC Origins and Breath of the Wild to me.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Considering all the analysis, info and rumors of the past month, I'm changing my forecast of launch for both consoles to holiday 2020.

As a side note, if what we get in Q3-Q4 2020, is a ~8tf PS5, I think I'll wait it out for a pro version. Personally, for me, PS4 graphics quality at a native 4k just won't justify an upgrade. (Would buy only if PSVR2 launches at the same time)

Things always seemed to be in motion for October/November launch because of prices..7nm will be cheaper, GDDR6 & SSDs will also become cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.