• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 gpu at 8tf is complete nonsense. If you guys read the Mark Cerny eurogamer article, you'll understand Sony's criteria for next gen. And power is one of the criteria
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

From the article :
What becomes clear is that Sony itself - perhaps unlike its rival - does not believe that the concept of the console hardware generation is over. Cerny has a number of criteria he believes amounts to a reset in gaming power: primarily, a new CPU architecture and vastly increased memory allocation. And of course, a massive revision in GPU power - Cerny refers to a 434 page, eight-hour PowerPoint presentation he gave to developers about the PS4 graphics core. It was a new paradigm for game makers.

By all of these criteria, PS4 Pro is not a new generation of hardware

But perhaps the biggest takeaway I had from the meeting with Mark Cerny was the insight into how Sony views the console generations. PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio have been seen as the beginning of the end of the jump to a new, more capable wave of hardware in favour of intermediate upgrades. What's clear is that Sony isn't buying into this. Cerny cites incompatibility problems, even moving between x86 CPU and AMD GPU architectures. I came away with the impression that PS5 will be a clean break, an actual generational leap as we know it

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 gpu at 8tf is complete nonsense. If you guys read the Mark Cerny eurogamer article, you'll understand Sony's criteria for next gen. And power is one of the criteria
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

From the article :
lets be clear even a 12tfp gpu isnt the gen jump people think, 4k takes so much gpu resources to do the same thing its not funny. given what we know about what amd had, you would need a discrete gpu to even aproach a genarational leap, and I am not sure amd has a gpu that strong.

Bloodcore

Mar 24, 2018
10tf minimum with other parts up to par console for 399$. I'm wondering where all this confidence in amd gpu's is coming from.
The possibilities of a GPU architecture made for 7nm.
Vega 7nm was just a port and it had serious amounts of HW features for compute, these won't be a part of Navi.

So, expect Navi to be similar to Polaris and with frequencies up to 17-1800MHz for dGPU and somewhere around 1300MHz for an APU.
And if they actually solved the 64CU "limit", then a console could have somewhere between 60-80CUs. That is 10-13.3TF which is a very big range of performance, allowing for adjustment for lower/higher clocks depending on yield.

The only question is if the thermals can be balanced, however this is just speculation and we'll get a better idea after the GPU launch in Q3-Q4.

Dec 31, 2017
The possibilities of a GPU architecture made for 7nm.
Vega 7nm was just a port and it had serious amounts of HW features for compute, these won't be a part of Navi.

So, expect Navi to be similar to Polaris and with frequencies up to 17-1800MHz for dGPU and somewhere around 1300MHz for an APU.
And if they actually solved the 64CU "limit", then a console could have somewhere between 60-80CUs. That is 10-13.3TF which is a very big range of performance, allowing for adjustment for lower/higher clocks depending on yield.

The only question is if the thermals can be balanced, however this is just speculation and we'll get a better idea after the GPU launch in Q3-Q4.
You'll get 10Tflops for 400$ if you're lucky. Vega VII does almost 14Tflops but it is extremely expensive and I doubt Navi will be any cheaper, and then you've got to factor in all of the other components!

GTX 2070 costs pretty much the same my 1080 cost me at release in 2016, yet it isn't really more powerful in terms of benchmark although the story is slightly different with the RTX cores.

Fact is, we haven't been getting the increments in power we are used to, and I feel like next gen might disappoint some. The 500$ price point of the X needs to become standard if we are to expect something powerful enough that we can really call next gen, or else it won't be that much of an upgrade.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
You'll get 10Tflops for 400$ if you're lucky. Vega VII does almost 14Tflops but it is extremely expensive and I doubt Navi will be any cheaper, and then you've got to factor in all of the other components!

GTX 2070 costs pretty much the same my 1080 cost me at release in 2016, yet it isn't really more powerful in terms of benchmark although the story is slightly different with the RTX cores.

Fact is, we haven't been getting the increments in power we are used to, and I feel like next gen might disappoint some. The 500$ price point of the X needs to become standard if we are to expect something powerful enough that we can really call next gen, or else it won't be that much of an upgrade.
its not that gpus are vastly more powerful today, than 2013, they are, but most of that power has been eatean by the jump to 4k.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 gpu at 8tf is complete nonsense. If you guys read the Mark Cerny eurogamer article, you'll understand Sony's criteria for next gen. And power is one of the criteria.

He also says power is not a goal, just what they can do with that power.

It could still end up being 8tf, don't set yourselves up for disappointment by being convinced it definitely, 100% won't.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Psn now isn't in the same league. I've had both services. Cancelled ps now cause it just didn't make sense. But gamepass makes sense to have if you game on Xbox and arnt a physical media warrior.

Besides every single brand new Microsoft game that goes in there, more and more 3rd parties are putting their games in at launch. Then there's the plethora of AAA games that are only a few years old.
I'm not trying to make this a war between the 2 services. Sony does a lot of great things. Gamepass is just in another league than the other subscription game services right now.

Although whenever Sony is ready to make ps now a real legitimate competitor they can match gamepass or even surpass it.

Bloodcore

Mar 24, 2018

Yes, however instead of luck.. It might be Sony and Microsoft taking the extra cost.
Navi 10/12 is going to be Polaris 2.0, it is for the mid-range and Navi 20 is the high-end which is coming out sometime in 2020.

We are getting a new architecture, new full-node process and TSMC is most likely the only one creating the chips, which is a good thing. GlobalFoundries 14nm was worse than TSMCs and it was noticable. This time the GPU/CPU won't be held back due to this.

We'll have to wait for the Navi dGPU later in the year if we want any real guesstimations though.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
He also says power is not a goal, just what they can do with that power.

It could still end up being 8tf, don't set yourselves up for disappointment by being convinced it definitely, 100% won't.

wise words. People care more about arbitrary on paper numbers than they do the actual unit's capability. We saw the same with PS4's GPU and CPU. THe PS5 and the Xbox whatever will be more than capable as new baseline machines.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

From the article :
That is just marketing speak. Both companies will target a price in shops and design around that. If Sony wants 399 at launch, 8TF might happen (depending on what other hardware is in there). The numbers I have seen thrown around in these threads are very optimistic... remember that the big upgrade this gen will be the CPUs. Much better CPU with 8TF GPUs should provide quite a good upgrade.

That being said... I expect 10TF consoles :) Anything above that will be premium tech and will be expensive. MS might push a bit higher *if* they are willing to take a hit or if they have an "entry level" console as well, but I think they shouldn't bother if they can't get at least 20% extra power over PS5.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lets be clear even a 12tfp gpu isnt the gen jump people think, 4k takes so much gpu resources to do the same thing its not funny. given what we know about what amd had, you would need a discrete gpu to even aproach a genarational leap, and I am not sure amd has a gpu that strong.

"Generational leap" is such a nebulous term, but to me at least, a hypothetical 12 teraflop GPU paired with things like checkerboard rendering feels like it would produce results many people would consider a generational leap.

Nov 12, 2017
Most people won't trade in though, and in any case it affects both companies.

Plus if you trade in a PS4 for a PS5 because the PS5 is BC, then what does it matter to MS?

You won't be able to play your PS4 games on the Xbox Two so that ties you up even more strongly to Sony

Yeah, "really hard". Except for those PS4 owners that wanna play PS5 (and PS4) games. Which I'd say are most of them

Just a wild guess
We don't know what launch exclusives both console have ....
Data show that very MOST people want mostly play multiplat blockbuster as cod battlefield assassin's Creed FIFA GTA e rdr.....

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Super data which is extremely inaccurate. Basically vgchartz.

That's saying gamepass only has 41 million in revenue durring q3 of 2018. Which would only be 1 million subs. Phil Spencer has already said they have millions of subs.

And if they do only have 1 million subs than all of Microsoft's first party games must be selling really good. State of decay2 and sea of theives both have around 5 million players and Forza horizon 4 has over 7 million.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I understand being conservative, but expecting the PS5 to only be a 8TF is being too conservative imo.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Some more Navi news this morning:

Our Japanese friend who wrote about AMD Gonzalo is also tweeting about Navi a lot,i found this one interesting:

Google translate:
"It is convinced that Navi 10Lite is not a Windows driver that is visible? Because, PS5 DX ( It will work with OpenGL / Vulkan (FreeBSD) instead of Windows, so you can understand that it only looks at the UNIX-style driver."

ImGumbyDammit

Banned
Nov 25, 2018
I am still not sure what that chart shows. Are you trying to compare to other services? To GamePass? To Profit? To prove PSNow has revenue?

1. First, it is very important to note that chart is based on made up numbers. Neither Sony nor Microsoft release numbers on either of their services. Secondly, it is basing those numbers on revenue, not profit. Which is a completely misleading number to how profitable a service may be at the time. And it tells us nothing of the expense that revenue may have on per user. Even if we took this report and the author as actual fact there are several obvious points that make it not the PSNow rah-rah moment you think it is.

PSNow is twice the expense on monthly basis compared to GP and even more so compared to EA Access (Xbox or EA Acces Origin) So, naturally, PSNow would be higher on the revenue end. Once again it is profits that should matter. Even attachment rate is much more important to a service like these. I suspect that PSNow current upkeep is drastically more than either any EA subscription or GP just on the simple requirement the service has to license all the other games for streaming and it needs to service those servers to provide streaming. As for user base as we can look at the whole year of the cost of PSNow vs EA Access and it actually shows how popular that EA service relative to PSNow. EA Access is $29 a year compared to over 3 times that for PSNow at $99. Just looking at those numbers as if all users are yearly subscribers means EA Access Xbox has more users subscribing to that service then PSNow has subscribed to that service. EA Access Xbox is shown at 16% means $44 million which in turn is 1,516, 241 subscribers for EA Access on just Xbox ($29/yr). Compared to that PSNow at 52% is $143 million in supposed revenue but only means 1,444,444 subscribers (based on $99/yr) Which means EA Access has a very large attachment rate because it depends on a population of users (Xbox) that is more than half the number of consoles compared to the number of users PSNow has access to. I can guarantee EA Acess with EA owning all the games and only has a downloaded option definitely has a lot fewer costs associated with spending on a user basis than PSNow has to retain their users on revenue end of things as well.

2. In relation to Game Pass, the study and the corresponding chart reflects it was done only a few months after GamePass was released (Q2 of 2018). Which takes one must take into consideration that GP revenue is based on nothing but assumptions. Considering most users were free users (free month) or using that $3 for a month or other deals that happened during those early months it tells us very little about actual numbers in that short period. Once again this is revenue guessing by the studies author, not actual revenue or profit. So those numbers are important to consider with all this. It be much more interesting to see this comparison a Q3 of 2019 when GP has had a chance to actually establish itself (over a year later). Not when the service was only a few months old in relation to another service that had 3 years to establish its user base at the time of this study.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

That's saying gamepass only has 41 million in revenue durring q3 of 2018. Which would only be 1 million subs. Phil Spencer has already said they have millions of subs.

And if they do only have 1 million subs than all of Microsoft's first party games must be selling really good. State of decay2 and sea of theives both have around 5 million players and Forza horizon 4 has over 7 million.

You really can't work out things that way since MS gives away gave pass or has deals on it fairly often .
Either way it not hard for Sony to match game pass since they add downloads all they would have to do is add there games day 1 .
Of course right now that makes no sense for Sony business wise.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Some more Navi news this morning:

Our Japanese friend who wrote about AMD Gonzalo is also tweeting about Navi a lot,i found this one interesting:

Google translate:
"It is convinced that Navi 10Lite is not a Windows driver that is visible? Because, PS5 DX ( It will work with OpenGL / Vulkan (FreeBSD) instead of Windows, so you can understand that it only looks at the UNIX-style driver."

so basically this is further confirmation that gonzalo is the PS5 apu right? is there anything else we can analyze from this?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
MS does Not have to beat Sony or anything...

they just have to be a fierce competitor to Sony and Nintendo and then we Gamer decide which One we buy

Nov 12, 2017
MS does Not have to beat Sony or anything...

they just have to be a fierce competitor to Sony and Nintendo and then we Gamer decide which One we buy
I'm not even sure that Ms see Sony as competitor at this point. I think are more interested in the moves that Google and Amazon are doing .
For us ? I agree more they fight better is

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
so basically this is further confirmation that gonzalo is the PS5 apu right? is there anything else we can analyze from this?

Probably.PS OS is FreeBSD but it has its own PS API,it doesn't use OpenGL/Vulkan.But his point (caution,this is Google translate after all) is that there is no Navi 10 Lite Windows driver in Gonzalo ,just Unix type driver and FreeBSD is open source Unix type system.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Probably.PS OS is FreeBSD but it has its own PS API,it doesn't use OpenGL/Vulkan.But his point (caution,this is Google translate after all) is that there is no Navi 10 Lite Windows driver in Gonzalo ,just Unix type driver and FreeBSD is open source Unix type system.
doesnt the ps4 use opengl if I recall?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
10tf minimum with other parts up to par console for 399$. I'm wondering where all this confidence in amd gpu's is coming from.

Confidence in Sony

PS5 will not be in the single digit TF range.

My man

"Won't be much of an upgrade for less than $499"

This statement won't age well.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

SMH. Superdata is a research company owned by Nielsen who use their research data to make estimates. They don't just make things up. Comparing them to VGChartz is laughable.

my bad, I had heard it was based on opengl.
This is common misinformation a lot of people spread.

FYI, the PS4 has two graphics APIs: The low level GNM and high level GNMX. In order to make it easier for devs to adapt to the PS4 development environment GNMX is meant to have similarities with DirectX and OpenGL but it's still a proprietary API.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
wise words. People care more about arbitrary on paper numbers than they do the actual unit's capability. We saw the same with PS4's GPU and CPU. THe PS5 and the Xbox whatever will be more than capable as new baseline machines.

Indeed. They'll both be worthwhile upgrades

"Basically VgChartz".

Lol no

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 will not be in the single digit TF range.
Fq6AZP5.gif

Single-digit range would mean it was weaker than Vega 56 [who is near gtx1070].

Status
Not open for further replies.