• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
S should be smaller right?
I saw how that Pirate game was significantly smaller in size compared to the Series X.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
nba really, really needs to compress there shit.............2k21 on current gen is nearly 80GB

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's literally three times the size of NBA 2k20 on Xbox. THREE TIMES. How?!

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Storage next gen isn't going to last long. I hope those senate expansion cards drop in price soon enough.

How big is the One version, anyone know?

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
The smaller SSD drive for the PS5 is going to be annoying especially since you can't put ps5 games in an external. I hope that's the first post launch feature Sony works on.

Jun 23, 2019
Jeez man so if you have the Series S, just CoD and 2K alone is like what? 200+GB of the 300+ you get? That's insane.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
They pack allot of content in the game. It'll occupy space on my ssd when it gets here.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We really need portion installs this gen.

Once MyPlayer's all set, I might never load an NBA floor again. But all that data will stay on the SSD.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Prepaire for 121gb patches because 2k still doesn't know how to patch games without reinstalling the entire package.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
S should be smaller right?
I saw how that Pirate game was significantly smaller in size compared to the Series X.

I don't think that will happen across the board until cross gen dies. Wasn't one of the advantages of the new CPUs is that they could decompress files much quicker and more efficiently allowing for better techniques and compression without compromise? So until games are built around that from the ground up, I don't see it getting much better.

Maybe I'm conflating stuff I've read over the last year though.

Whatever happens though, I pray developers start building their games in a way that doesn't require redownloading almost the entire file every patch because it's all bundled together or some such

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez man so if you have the Series S, just CoD and 2K alone is like what? 200+GB of the 300+ you get? That's insane.
XSX sizes differ from Series S. But the real issue is these publishers, why aren't they supporting more modular game downloads?

This sounds like poor optimisation. Be mindful that there is no option on PS5 to store PS5 games elsewhere (I assume next gen file sizes would be similar). So this is an industry wide problem.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Seagate right now

PNkifyI.gif

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Ridiculous. Devs are now competing to be one of the four games on your storage device and I'm not going to stand for it. I'm not buying these 100+GB games.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Not duplicating as many assets (which was never quantified in the first place) is a wash if the assets are now significantly larger.

That claim was dubious in the first place.

I mean I can pretty easily imagine a sports game set in one room wouldn't have been doing much in the way of asset duplication in the first place. Spider-Man Remastered has higher-quality assets, but is the same size as Spider-Man PS4 with all DLC.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck. Then at least they should give the option to not install certain modes if you don't intend to use them similar to what Call of Duty does.

This is madness.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surely Comcast will raise their dumb data cap to compensate for larger game download sizes

surely

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I'm picking up the seagate expansion along with my console. Sucks though...

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
Damn this is bad news. I bet it's at least 25 gigs in music, they should let us delete the soundtrack to make room. It's Spotify for me after a few days of the same songs plus storage is at a premium.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
That's literally three times the size of NBA 2k20 on Xbox. THREE TIMES. How?!

Clearly because it's three times as fun.

/s in case it wasn't obvious.

For real the storage space is going to be a serious Achilles heel for consoles this gen if things keep going like this. Why does this need to be 121GB? Is it like, 16 languages with uncompressed audio or something?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

For real the storage space is going to be a serious Achilles heel for consoles this gen if things keep going like this. Why does this need to be 121GB? Is it like, 16 languages with uncompressed audio or something?

Its three times as many basketballs at once.

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to any CoD + 2K players

I was thinking about picking it up, and this single-handedly guarantees I won't. That size is absurd for what that game is

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

I remember seeing 2K uses a lot of uncompressed audio.........I would not doubt if that is the case. Because the file size the entire gen has just slowly crept up despite the games looking moderately the exact same all gen outside of 2k14 with the different physics and lighting model