• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Im looking at the PS4 games I have here and I was just thinking why are these boxes so huge? Their way bigger then they need to be. Don't blurays come in smaller boxes that make a little bit more sense? It just seems weird that this isnt changing when it really doesnt need to be this way. Even Switch boxes are really big just to have a little cart inside, and discs are even flatter then that. Do people like these big boxes?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Big boxes catch eyes at retail shelves easier.

Though smaller ones would be better for the environment, yeah.

coryschmitz

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Wish they were in cardboard sleeves this time.

UntitledGooseGame_PS4_Lifestyle_01.jpg

Feels like a waste to use so much plastic on video game cases.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 cases are the perfect size for discs, there's no reason to change that. But SW cases could easily be smaller. 3DS cases are a good size for handheld games.

I would argue even PS4 cases are needlessly big. Why not make the cases squares that are just big enough to contain the disc? It's not like manuals exist anymore.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
listen they can't even design a case that keeps the disc where it's supposed to go, now you're asking them to make the whole thing smaller?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a study / data behind this argument though?

I feel like the Switch is doing just fine?

if cases are shorter, retailers can add more rows in the same aisle-feet

this would crowd cases closer together and also potentially encourage retailers to allocate less aisle-feet

i think this is part of the reason the dreamcast looked like it had fewer games than the PS2 in stores, even in the early days when it didn't

notably, switch cases are the same height as PS4/XB cases, by design

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I would be fine with something the size of jewel cases being used, just as long as its more durable than jewel cases were.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
PS3 had the best game cases. Hard plastic, not easy to break and smaller than the PS4 cases. PS4 cases felt cheaply done.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
They could be slimmer for sure. Easier to align on the shelf.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
As physical becomes a smaller and smaller % of sales, it doesn't make sense to create a special case. Just use the tried and true blu-ray standard case and save on material costs.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Those Xbox (One/Series)-cases are at least slimmer.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
they are probably using the same cases because they are cheap as fuck at this point and already being manufactured.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
If they were smaller I would definitely be more inclined to buy more of them. I really dislike how much space they all take up on PS/Xbox. I think Switch and 3DS sizes are fine but would even love them Vita sized if possible.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the classic DVD case size and material, like the PS2, Xbox, 360, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U used.
They feel good and have easily visible spines on my shelf.
They don't easily crack like jewel cases too.

I hate it when the cut holes in it to save plastic though. Makes them feel cheap, and sometimes it digs into the cover insert and causes tears or creases.
The shorter PS3 and PS4 cases are good too.

Definitely don't want sleeves as the only option.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a study / data behind this argument though?

I feel like the Switch is doing just fine?

Seems doubtful since competitors' cases are nearly always the same size, and comparative performance it always attributable to other obvious factors.

There's examples that clearly contradict that idea as well. I'm pretty sure N64 boxes had a greater surface area then PS1 cases.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The shelf space is already designed for that size. The shipping boxes are already designed for that size. It's recognizable. No / less new tooling at factories.

Ideally I'd like to see a hybrid of the plastic cases we have now at jewel case sizes. Almost like a 3DS game case. But I understand why they stuck with the same size.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Your assertion doesn't square with the fact that both the PS5 Digital and Xbox Series S are revolutionary in that their game cases are so small they're nonexistent....

Oct 25, 2017
Ps vita cases are adorable

Retailers should have large/dvd cases for display but exchanged for smaller cases for copies that are sold, assuming the relevancy of first post.

Also cardboard boxes needs the comeback. Gameboy and N64 cardboard boxes were great.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Cardboard boxes while neat, they're not as durable. Of course I'm sure everyone here would look after their boxes but I doubt the rest of the multi-million market will.

I would've liked CD sized cases. But I also like the cases being big for displaying purposes.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly getting back into game collecting, and getting a lot of cartridges/discs without boxes, I always feel like boxes are pointless.

I still want to stay physical, but I am completely for removing all the extra stuff that comes with the packaging.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
More than size, my issue would be their thickness. Games this days include nothing outside the disc, the cases not only are thick but have the space to add a booklet.

More thinner ones would be nice, if they really need to leave the size the same.