• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Xbox Series X is running basically a version of Windows 10 so it could be added later. I think they are just afraid of gaming which requires extra devices to work, I think they are afraid of having another Kinect situation where they throw a bunch of money at it only for them to later have it get tossed in the trash.
Also agree that MS is stuck on avoiding another Kinect situation internally for console peripherals at all costs. But think they're too stuck in the past mentally if they skip it altogether this gen. They're treating the VR experience on console as a Kinect one and they couldn't be more different from one another. It should be an easy sell internally with the right console VR tech demos from the current first party they have but we'll have to wait and see...

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Half Life Alyx being exclusive to the Series X on consoles due to this partnership would be a mindblowing deal

This is totally going to work with Series X, I'm sure of it

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Valve makes the Steam for Windows MR portal application that is required to use Windows VR headsets in steam in the first place. Valve is headset agnostic, they support all PC VR headsets.
I'm aware I just figured they'd only sell the native steamvr hardware on their store

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Half Life Alyx being exclusive to the Series X on consoles due to this partnership would be a mindblowing deal
Honestly i could see this happening. Valve and Xbox are super buddy buddy now with all their games releasing on steam, so it makes sense, plus phil spencer said he played alyx while it was in development

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool. What does "no compromises" mean here? It's a familiar marketing phrase, but it still doesn't make sense to me given that something always gives.

Series X 100% has a VR software update in the pipeline
Absolutely, there's nothing stopping them patching in support. What I'm curious about is whether or not Series X has any custom silicon built in specifically for VR.

This is totally going to work with Series X, I'm sure of it
The timing is absolutely right for MS to well and truly enter the VR space because they've had years to work towards something like this in tandem with their console. I can't see much hitting harder than Half-Life. Sony on the other hand, even though PSVR is BC it's less capable than this headset, and PSVR 2.0 will be truly next-gen but likely won't be good to go until late 2021 at the earliest. So it would be a really good get for the Series X, but of course a timed exclusive. Although, Phil's stance indicates that they aren't prepared to be aggressive with VR yet.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If it doesn't use lighthouse tracking and Knuckles or Knuckles-like controllers, it's not going to cut it. It'll just wind up being a premium WMR HMD.

That said, this is totally going to wind up working with the Series X. I'd bet the farm on it.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetical:
* Do you think Microsoft would have one VR headset for Xbox Series X?
* Or have "Xbox Series X Compatible" VR headsets - in the same manner that Sony plans on doing with its PlayStation 5 hard drives (for those that want to upgrade)?

Either way, teaming up with Valve sounds like a great idea. :)
If Microsoft decided to go for VR on XSX (though nothing has indicated that so far) it would almost certainly be in the "Series X compatible" manner. I just don't see Microsoft investing in it when they have a ton of partners more than willing to go for the proverbial "VR cake"

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Let's see if Xbox Series X actually supports VR before predicting exclusive VR ports.
But would it really be a bold prediction to think that Series X will support VR, tho? From a new console in 2020?

That's something that they would announce with a pair of headsets and games in a big conference, so maybe that's why they havent said much yet

Heck, even Sony havent said much about the PSVR 2 yet, despite being a given

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly don't care if it's the most preferred technical implementation, but after using the Quest any VR headset that doesn't use inside-out tracking is a non-starter for me.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is no way Sony or Microsoft are going to pass up Alyx for PS5 and Xbox Series if Valve are open to it.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Wait till specs and tracking is actually announced before cancelling that Index order btw. You might want to keep it just in case lol.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
But would it really be a bold prediction to think that Series X will support VR, tho? From a new console in 2020?

That's something that they would announce with a pair of headsets and games in a big conference, so maybe that's why they havent said much yet

Heck, even Sony havent said much about the PSVR 2 yet, despite being a given

You would think it would be on the table but all we have is Phil Spencer telling us that "nobody is asking for VR". We don't have much to go on, otherwise.

Also, we have this quote, from the same interview:

Phil Spencer said:
The vast majority of our customers know if they want a VR experience, there's places to go get those. We see the volumes of those on PC and other places.

I'd be thrilled if Microsoft announced VR support on the Xbox Series X. I'm a fan of VR and having it part of another high-profile console would be great for the VR platform as a whole.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Also this should work on the next-box mid cycle refresh upgrade because why not, MS. Just fucking do it.

I feel like the HW requirements on the console/PC side are extremely minor, based on the functionality of the PSVR breakout box: https://www.roadtovr.com/sony-plays...h-for-ps4-psvr-playstation-4-virtual-reality/

I don't think MS has to wait for the mid-gen refresh to support VR. I think the biggest obstacle is supporting the roll-out of HW and SW. Sony invested a ton of resources into trying to get PSVR off the ground, and I'm not sure it's been a fruitful investment yet. People can crow about the 5 million PSVR headsets sold, but PS Move sold 15 million units and was widely considered a failure.

I think if there was this surplus of supply of and / or demand for VR experiences for the Xbox, MS could roll out a headset / interface pretty easily. But since there isn't, I think MS looks at the $200m it would take to develop the hardware, fund exclusive VR content, and generally market the experience as better spent on traditional games that they can use to sell GamePass.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
This is what Phil said in February. Clearly, he leaves the possibility open.

"VR is not just as simple as plugging your headset" into the console, Spencer said. "You have to redo the dash, like there's a bunch of work that goes into it." While Valve, Sony, and Facebook's Oculus division have done that work and "know the completeness and what it means to support that platform," Spencer said he doesn't see the feature as "so important" that it's a "no-brainer for us to support it" — yet. But he says he hopes demand for VR hardware will increase.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think it's quite possible that Phil would have created the Series X with VR compatibility AT SOME POINT in mind. There's no guarantee, of course (especially since that could be a selling point for a mid-gen upgrade), but considering how forward thinking some of the hardware decisions were even in the much maligned 2013 era, I think MS is probably laying the groundwork to build VR compatibility in. I also agree that there's no reason for Xbox to make their own VR headset - PROVIDED they can create a stable and comprehensive base for their partners to hook into.

Oct 27, 2017
Under the bed
Interesting. Need more info on this and if MS plans to use it for next-gen or not.
If only

If you mean for Xbox, definitely don't see that happening, especially if it's meant to be a competitor to Index which means it will be pricey.
The only possible way I see it as happening is if development is so similar between PC and XSX that a developer could port their VR experiences between the two with nearly no effort. Otherwise, they would get minimal content.

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Not that long ago HP and MS announced working on a VR headset. Alongside Valve as well I think.

That part I was aware of. I was looking for what specifically linked that tweet to the MS/Valve headset as opposed to PSVR2 or any other upcoming headset. I was then informed that the NDA for the device in the tweet is ending soon so it can't be PSVR2 anyway.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
If Xbox Series X supports VR in the future, that's terrific news.

But it it would be a complete reversal from Phil's previous statements.
his comments have never been there will never be VR on Xbox consoles, its been more about delivering what people have been asking for and more 1st party titles and better hardware have been what people have asked for.

Pretty much since VR became a thing they have said that they will keep supporting and growing it on PC before it reaches the point it can be seamlessly on console ie no cables/cable boxes, cameras etc which to be fair can be done now.