• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
www8.hp.com

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

The ultra-light, ultra-immersive HP Reverb G2 VR (Virtual Reality) headset delivers a more immersive, comfortable, and compatible experience. Learn more here.

store.steampowered.com

HP Reverb G2 on Steam

The next generation HP Virtual Reality HMD–developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft–delivers an immersive, comfortable and compatible VR experience. It’s the new standard in VR.

header.jpg

Developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft, the next gen HP VR headset
delivers a more immersive, comfortable and compatible experience than the
previous generation. It's the new standard in VR.​

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not WMR? woah
Wait maybe it is? Not sure
Don't think Steam would sell it if it were WMR but Microsoft helped make it so maybe it is??

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
Soo... Is there a chance that this thing or a version of it comes to the XsX?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
"No compromises" doesn't sound like it's gonna use inside out tracking, probably more of that Lighthouse stuff. You'd hope for wireless at least but with Lighthouses you'd still be limited to the one room you've rigged up for VR.

Oh, man...if Microsoft lets you use this on the Series X...

If MS has any sense they're going to support SteamVR. Otherwise compatibility is going to be a patchwork of checking which model does what.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what's with the lack of details. Does it require addition hardware or standalone?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this will be a 2nd gen inside-out tracking headset to compete with the Rift S and whatever comes after it.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
No details on the headset at all?

This is more of an announcement of collaboration, than an announcement of the headset itself.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
"No compromises." OK, show me.
Also this should work on the next-box mid cycle refresh upgrade because why not, MS. Just fucking do it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
"No compromises" doesn't sound like it's gonna use inside out tracking, probably more of that Lighthouse stuff. You'd hope for wireless at least but with Lighthouses you'd still be limited to the one room you've rigged up for VR.

If MS has any sense they're going to support SteamVR. Otherwise compatibility is going to be a patchwork of checking which model does what.
I feel like using a Lighthouse is compromising the experience, forcing you to only use it in a single room with power outlets near the lighthouse units plus wires. Since they are partnering with Valve it might unfortunately be using Lighthouse. Well done inside-out tracking is the better way to go (WMR inside-out was kinda subpar, Rift S/Quest better) along with a wireless headset. I would love a wireless headset, although I am not sure how a wireless experience for the PC will work without a PC adapter or requiring a Wi-fi 6 router. Oculus Quest wireless (5 ghz wireless AC) still has too much input lag compared to the wired mode.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
When signing up for the newsletter, it says the name is HP Reverb G2.

Excited to see more info on this.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
HP's original HMD wasn't even first gen, lol. I think it was the worst WMR headset?

Next gen is wireless, foveated rendering, micro varifocal displays. If it has 2 out of 3 of those then maybe it passes. Of course it also needs way better tracking/controls than the first wave of WMR.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Only thing I want from Window MR 2nd gen is more than two camera tracking/better tracking and better controllers.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Series X doesn't support VR atm, and from what Spencer said in the near future they have no plans to support console VR, so probably not.
To skip console VR support altogether next generation is a bit short-sighted imo. The next-box mid cycle refresh should be more than capable of delivering a decent VR experience and it will be nice to give their console-only consumers a taste. The ones that can't really afford or even know how to build their own VR PCs. Console VR support is better for everyone in the long run and the best time to jump in is now.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Still waiting for a HMD that's compatible with PC and console. I'd drop my Rift S for that.

e - Looks like a similar audio solution to the Index. "No compromises" sounds expensive but it could just be a shot at Oculus' PC offering.

Last edited:

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
To skip console VR support altogether next generation is a bit short-sighted imo. The next-box mid cycle refresh should be more than capable of delivering a decent VR experience and it will be nice to give their console-only consumers a taste. The ones that can't really afford or even know how to build their own VR PCs. Console VR support is better for everyone in the long run and the best time to jump in is now.
I mean Xbox Series X is running basically a version of Windows 10 so it could be added later. I think they are just afraid of gaming which requires extra devices to work, I think they are afraid of having another Kinect situation where they throw a bunch of money at it only for them to later have it get tossed in the trash.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Never knew HP makes VR headsets too, i normally have bad luck with any HP products quality wise and breaks down easily, want to see how good this is. I just want a good but cheap VR headset

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Hypothetical:
* Do you think Microsoft would have one VR headset for Xbox Series X?
* Or have "Xbox Series X Compatible" VR headsets - in the same manner that Sony plans on doing with its PlayStation 5 hard drives (for those that want to upgrade)?

Either way, teaming up with Valve sounds like a great idea. :)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
VR is here to stay. This will be usable on Xbox Series X and maybe even PS5? If not Sony will make it's own headset again. Any word on wireless? I fear wireless technology isn't there yet. But it's so good to see VR getting some steam. It's the best thing that happend to gaming in the last five years.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
methinks it's a software update away

Sure, but that's why I said in the "near future Series X has no plans to support VR".

Maybe Xbox will software patch it, but until then Series X won't support VR, and it won't support this headset.

Microsoft could very well change its stance on VR. Xbox One X was suppose to support VR but it didn't happen.