• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
EoRv4oZW4AEANE6
Meanwhile at Ubisoft..
watchd_l_b9ktu.jpg

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yes this is great analytical AA like REYES rendering. Everything is great. I want to see it in another type game using the frosbite engine. :)

Any team using Frostbite can look into integrating this work if they are interested. So I wouldn't be surprised if you see other FB games using it. :)

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
That hair is way too clean. All those sweaty faces, and then sat on top is a shampoo commercial.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hair itself looks fantastic. The animation is a bit too floaty though. Like they are in zero G with no air resistance.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One thing hair physics in games as well as in CGI movies get wrong all the time is the movement. It is usually way too floaty and soft. Real hair is stickier especially if not freshly washed and it doesn't float as if you are under water. It is fairly heavy and steady.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You should work as a producer. ;) People will be very happy with your budget savings, hahah.
Monochromatic Monk ARPG
Game with only bald people would cost like last gen games at full price and the next gen tax will only apply to the edition with next gen hair :P
Death Stranding: Ultimate Strand Edition - now with better hair
Dsnt matter...Kratos is bald anyways.
This tech could apply to beards too, no?
2qdcef7it9z51.jpg

A game where everyone looks like Patches...
Is that the Google guy?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I'm more impressed by the beards than the hair, games have had really shit beards for such a long time.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
need more gifs !
I don't care about FIFA, and the hair does look too thin but this is seriously impressive

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a little bit...floaty. I feel like subtlety is something Devs are scared of or something. It's like when they motion capture faces the annunciations are often hyper exaggerated almost in an attempt to make sure you notice the impressive tech more. But it ends up looking a bit weird. And I feel like hair tech is similar. Especially true for shorter hair styles. Short hair doesn't really flop around at all unless it has some serious wind force applied to it. But if it was as subtle as it is in reality, they'd maybe consider it devaluing the tech since less people will actively notice it...the solution. Crank up those sliders and make everyone look like they're underwater! They'll be sure to notice then! Lol

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
The presentation has other examples of hair movement that aren't as flowing looking as the shots the OP put in their post.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Watched that FIFA21 tweet video. Too floaty, overly shiny and individual strands of hair are too visible at any given time.

Impressive direction for hair tech, but still needs tuning to bring it back from uncanny valley so ones brain doesn't yell how hair is off and isn't real.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is the hair getting wet as the players sweat the longer the game goes on?
It looks like they just blow dryed it before they entered the game.
I don't think it looks right at all.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah its impressive for about 5 seconds before uncanny valley hits hard.
this needs some iterations and tweaks

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I can't say I noticed the hair but the stadium lighting seemed weirdly dark when I was playing last night.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
We finally have medium lenght hair that doesn't look like a plastic helmet and people complain that it's too shiny, floaty, whatevery.
We'll get there.
I'm sure when the tech has to be applied to a few main characters instead of hundreds of football players, developers will be able to tweak things to produce more believable results; the tech itself is incredible.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
This looks genuinely impressive. Not sure why so many people are trashing on it
Because it's not perfect, so it's trash.

Yeah the movements are too floaty but the tech is there, they can tweak it however they want and here they made it a bit over-the-top to make it more obvious I suppose. The tech in itself is really good looking, can't wait to see what they'll do with that in other games.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it performs better than Hairworks. That used to bring your computer to its knees.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
It looks like Frostbite has finally been given enough power for all its next-gen features. I was always immensely impressed by this engine but at the start of the 7th generation it always seemed like it was lacking. Now I only have to wait for a game with it...(no interest in sports games and Star Wars)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it performs better than Hairworks. That used to bring your computer to its knees.
Replays are 30fps so I guess not too great.

Although to be honest I've been watching some next-gen footage from actual gameplay and I struggle to notice this even during replays.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Next they need to combine this hair physics with sweat tech for the ultimate sports games.

What with humans being quite common in games and hair always having been a problem area, advancements in this area make sense.
But it still feels a little...you want to see the increased processing power used for something that affects games beyond the presentation.
Presumably that's being worked on as well though.

Aside from there being like a lack of friction or weight or something, they've done a really good job at this. Looks impressive, like a generational leap.

From just playing games, you know how easy it is for physics to glitch out because of clipping+bounding boxes. And this looks like a lot of physics in a small area.
If those kinds of physics calamities don't happen then I'm really impressed. But also I would like to see footage of it happening.

FIFA glitches are among the best out there. And on some level I would like for that legacy to continue.
ah0Tc2d.gif

The man just turns into a UFO.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
While not perfect, this is a huge leap, and a big stepping stone for what's to come. Can you imagine where we will be towards the end of this gen? I'm so excited!!

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Sports games are a LOT faster than TLOU2, especially at the competitive level where you're making extremely split second decisions and needing to input things quickly. It's hard to compare them. That and a lot of sports games involve contact to some degree.

Comparing Tlou2 to sports games. Geez.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think Spider-Man and Miles Morales are splines and not strands ? I don't know the difference it there is any. But either way, the new hair tech in the Spider-Man remaster was really great.
Whoops, you are totally right! My bad. But yeah, like you said, still really great stuff. I don't know if there's a difference, either.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
There seems to be a sense of uniformity in acceleration (and consequent speed) to every strand, and that is not often so with real hair clumped with sweat and dirt (plus inherent differences between players' individual hair attributes). So the different & changing force vectors acting on each strand per unit time looks be rightly shown, but what restraints portions of the hair and inhibits this fluid movement, is yet to be there.

All that said, this is a notable step forward where it is more physics driven than previous iterations and with time, it should get better. And perhaps the biggest benefit is that I no longer see any egregious clipping issues. As mentioned before, I do not care for it in FIFA given at the general camera distance (plus EA has yet to show off this during real time matches as opposed to these nice vertical slices that look like replays and/or intros) it will likely not be notable.

Let's see this tech in UFC or Fight Night (if that's still a thing) where the camera is much closer to the characters, as well as third person titles so that the computational cost of this tech can be assessed (by way of LoD, no. of supported characters on screen simultaneously etc).

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Physics for video game hair always seems way too loose. Visually though, we're getting there, but in motion it still looks a bit silly.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
imagine if you punch him again tho, the glorious mane of the dread wolf flying around
Compromise: give him the glorious mane as his demon Dread Wolf form so we get the amazing hair physics when we punch him, but still have the normal egg form to let the punnage continue. I just want to continue saying how I want to smash some eggs! It's too good a phrase to give up