• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Same could be said of Horizon. As far as real-time cinematics, Hellblade is at the top. The best looking gameplay has come from indies during the PS5 showing.
There were some shots of Aloy riding across the world that looked to be in-game graphics with a cinematic camera. Underwater stuff is probably RDR2 style, slightly higher quality models leading up to the player taking control and then it switches. That's obviously just a 100 percent guess.

That Hellblade 2 trailer didn't resemble a game and they're switching to UE5.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't quite get your point. It looks excellent, but is it because you have a preference for realism? I don't see what it is doing technically as more impressive than other stuff that has been shown, but they have done an excellent job of creating a very convincing presentation at the relevant scale. And it seems to scale down pretty well. It is good to see a flight sim game that is pushing the boundaries again. I remember TFX back in the day blowing me away.
No preference for realism but the amount of detail going into FS is pretty staggering. Scale, detail, weather that is not just a cinematic thing and much more. I am looking forward to crashing planes into the ground because I stopped to check out some stuff.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
image_horizon_forbidden_west-42164-4519_0001.jpg

This was the most impressive part of Horizon II Forbidden West and what was shown for PS5.

OP
OP
nelsonroyale

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
There were some shots of Aloy riding across the world that looked to be in-game graphics with a cinematic camera.

Hopefully we see more of Hellblade 2 in July. My thoughts on the trailer was that it was pretty similar to what ND did with the original Uncharted 4 trailer. Real time assets, rendered offline. Either way, I am interested in seeing more. NT have some great graphics pedigree. Hellblade was a mixed back for me graphically - Senua looked fantastic but the environments weren't that high poly and it showed. I expect with a bigger budget again they will show some awesome stuff.

Raide: For sure it has awesome detail. Personally, I am just as impressed with other stuff, but I am super glad we have a flight sim with bleeding edge visuals again. I always found Microsoft Sim pretty boring, but given what they are doing visually with this, I am more interested.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait to see more of Halo Infinite. Last time we saw it was 12 months ago and looked amazing already

hi_e319_twtr_chiefonboard-510e4975ef9347bc91656918dbed71d8.gif

hi_e319_twtr_excitedpilot-cd718c1d69d24801963423887f51fbc5.gif

hi_e319_twtr_hologram-b5fc1e9151b34e3b952d26f66f50dbde.gif

hi_e319_twtr_ring-0a6279b9a1fc464f96edbbae00ab2c10.gif

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully we see more of Hellblade 2 in July. My thoughts on the trailer was that it was pretty similar to what ND did with the original Uncharted 4 trailer. Real time assets, rendered offline. Either way, I am interested in seeing more. NT have some great graphics pedigree. Hellblade was a mixed back for me graphically - Senua looked fantastic but the environments weren't that high poly and it showed. I expect with a bigger budget again they will show some awesome stuff.
People thought that when Hellblade 2 was first shown but after the recent UE5 showing, seems more likely it was using that engine and it more than capable of getting to that level. I know NT said they are on UE5 but I get the feeling they have had access to its features for a while now.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I don't quite get your point. It looks excellent, but is it because you have a preference for realism? I don't see what it is doing technically as more impressive than other stuff that has been shown, but they have done an excellent job of creating a very convincing presentation at the relevant scale. And it seems to scale down pretty well. It is good to see a flight sim game that is pushing the boundaries again. I remember TFX back in the day blowing me away.

DukeNukem: I would say the best looking gameplay has probably come from R&C form the conference. In terms of cinematics, the Project Athia trailer probably impressed me most, especially if the dragon at the end was rendered in real time. Looking forward to seeing Luminous engine without the restrictions of current gen.

In anycase flight sims without VR is severely handicapped. Like I refuse to play without VR now haha. The immersion is simply amazing even if the graphics are lower. Hoping MFS supports VR soon otherwise it's a no go for me.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
If they're switching engines I'd be surprised if we see it again in July. UE5 doesn't officially release until next year.

That team can definitely pull off some incredible visuals with limited resources. So yeah I'm expecting Hellblade 2 to look pretty crazy.

OP
OP
nelsonroyale

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
People thought that when Hellblade 2 was first shown but after the recent UE5 showing, seems more likely it was using that engine and it more than capable of getting to that level. I know NT said they are on UE5 but I get the feeling they have had access to its features for a while now.

UE5 isn't available to devs until next year I think. They just announced their intention to switch to UE5. The game is obviously far out, 2022 most likely or beyond. Unreal did mention the passage from UE4 to 5 should be super smooth though. And yeah, nanite should help with rendering that detail on static geometry. Senua being set in northern environments, looks a bit like iceland or northern Norway, means that they aren't going to need to render as lush vegetation like in Horizon 2. Hopefully see more in July.

OP
OP
nelsonroyale

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Demon Souls is looking really damn good. I wish they had shown some gameplay, although I can totally understand why they revealed it the way they did. In terms of real time cinematics, the opening landscapes looked stunning. Fantastic art and asset quality.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Fair enough. the point of this thread I suppose is that not everyone is disappointed, so it a place for people to express what they like and what they are hyped about. There are already several threads for those to air their disappointments. I would certainly contest that the showing was disappoint, however. I agree about the lack of explicit gameplay outside of R&C and a few other trailers though: Deathloop, Kena, Returnal, Ghostwire, etc did show what looks to be explicit gameplay though.

I also agree that it is early days. Yeah, interested to see what MS shows. I am expecting quite a bit of cross gen stuff, with some next gen only stuff glimsped that it is pretty far off. Hyped.
Oh, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

On topic, of the games shown, Horizon dropped my jaw. As did Stray. Ratchet n Clank looked pretty fantastic as well with the dimension-jumping. Hopefully we'll see Horizon gameplay soon.

OP
OP
nelsonroyale

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

On topic, of the games shown, Horizon dropped my jaw. As did Stray. Ratchet n Clank looked pretty fantastic as well with the dimension-jumping. Hopefully we'll see Horizon gameplay soon.

No worries, I know you were just trying to clarify why some people might reasonably think different, and that is perfectly fair.

Yeah, hoping for more gameplay soon in general. It is a bit frustrating how spaced out things are. Even have to wait quite a bit to see Ubis cross gen output.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I was very satisfied with my OG PS4 graphics during this gen, my only grip with it was the IQ (some aliasing) and the resolution of several games (Sub 1080P).
If those are fixed in NEXTGEN then i will be very glad.

Horizon will melt eyes when it releases.

Oct 25, 2017
Same could be said of Horizon. As far as real-time cinematics, Hellblade is at the top. The best looking gameplay has come from indies during the PS5 showing.

Ratchet & Clank isn't an indie. ;)
I did like how much gameplay a couple of those indies showed and how good they looked. It's pretty cool that we live in a day and age where you can make games that look AAA but don't have a AAA budget.

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
I think Horizon Forbidden West will also impress with the weather.

That lightning storm in the distance of that pic looks like they're upping the ante. HZD Frozen Wild's had great snow storms and snow deformation.
I hope they will improve the rain effect, the rain in the first one is so fake and jarring

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
There were some shots of Aloy riding across the world that looked to be in-game graphics with a cinematic camera. Underwater stuff is probably RDR2 style, slightly higher quality models leading up to the player taking control and then it switches. That's obviously just a 100 percent guess.

They are upgrading to UE5. Going from the latest UE4 to UE5 isn't a huge leap and you can bet they were building their game with UE5 in mind.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Ratchet & Clank isn't an indie. ;)
I did like how much gameplay a couple of those indies showed and how good they looked. It's pretty cool that we live in a day and age where you can make games that look AAA but don't have a AAA budget.
Oh don't worry I didn't mention Ratchet for a reason. The trailer looked great but I felt like the gameplay section they showed looked not so hot. Those portals were cool as hell though.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
They are upgrading to UE5. Going from the latest UE4 to UE5 isn't a huge leap and you can bet they were building their game with UE5 in mind.
Would they have known about the UE5 feature set when they started development?
Oh don't worry I didn't mention Ratchet for a reason. The trailer looked great but I felt like the gameplay section they showed looked not so hot. Those portals were cool as hell though.
What didn't look good about the R&C gameplay?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah, next gen is looking crazy good. I really don't understand those that are dissapointed. I think most that are somehow blind to how amazing it looks will come back on their opinion once the games run on their TV.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Would they have known about the UE5 feature set when they started development?

I mean UE is a third party engine in the end. So you would make it "with" third party devs. They probably have alot of discussions with devs who use UE on what they want to see, get feedback. Not crazy to think some big devs got earlier versions and info also. XGS for example is one of its biggest users and NT before they were XGS worked alot with Epic already and still do with Senua Studio (mocap studio)

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I mean UE is a third party engine in the end. So you would make it "with" third party devs. They probably have alot of discussions with devs who use UE on what they want to see, get feedback. Not crazy to think some big devs got earlier versions and info also. XGS for example is one of its biggest users and NT before they were XGS worked alot with Epic already and still do with Senua Studio (mocap studio)
Makes sense.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Considering how far we are still from even launch and all the chaos of the virus for the devs etc, i am really stoked by what was shown.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
In the reveal they were explicit about their partnership with Sony for UE5. So no, not the biggest partner.

But yes either way Microsoft would be kept in the loop I'm sure.
They have a partnership with Sony too but MS are developing multiple games using the engine and have been since the 360. Sony has Sony Bend who worked with it and who else?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
They have a partnership with Sony too but MS are developing multiple games using the engine and have been since the 360. Sony has Sony Bend who worked with it and who else?
It'll be used by literally everyone at the end of the day. Doesn't matter that much.

UE5 is gonna be a boost for next gen across the board

I do hope devs are already getting a head start on it so we don't have to wait so long to see what UE5 can do in execution.

Hellblade 2 could potentially be that first showcase