• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
can't wait to get my hands on this

skipped 2k21 current gen -- hope the 5 on 5 gameplay is on point

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
looks good on ps5, but yeah more realistic models become, more jarring the stiff animations look.
also don't like how the framerate tanks at start.
not my type of game anyways

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
An annualized sports franchise is probably the one game where you would be least likely to find significant differences from generation to generation, but damn, the PS5 version looks amazingly cleaner. It's not even close.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The craziest thing to me is that, if you'd asked me yesterday, I'd have told you NBA 2K21 is a great looking game on PS4. But it looks AWFUL compared to the PS5 version.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
Eeeh, was expecting quite a bit more tbh. Also, what's up with no camera flashes and atmosphere in the last sequence there? From 1:07 onwards the crowd background is dead compared to ps4. Did they forget to add in that part of lighting?

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 version looks TERRIBLE
4MiLnHJ.png

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
Damn this makes me sad lol. Madden will never look this good. They still don't even have body types that really match the players. Just kinda generic bodies. But, that is the least of the problems with Madden.

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question. how does this come into play on these games that have a PC version? Will it look that good if you're PC allows it or will you still require a "next gen" update?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
the game looks great, graphically. just added a lot of detail that makes it pop and closer to the real thing.

but the gameplay looks exactly the same based on the past few games. same animations, same physics.

hope the ai is much better

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, 2k14 cloth physics were absolutely bonkers. It looks like the lighting model with character accuracy is now combined though. It still looks really good. Go look at 2k14 cyberfaces.......they all look balloon fished lol.

Nah, its just compression. It looks solid, but you can tell the new lighting model fixes a lot of the faces with the glare and shimmering. A good lighting model can go a LONG way. I mean look at how beautiful 2k14 still looks TO THIS DAY. It was a god damn launch title 6-7 years ago!!!

2k14 had fucking insane lighting and cloth physics that really make it still an eye opener to this day. Also that soundtrack was god damn amazing.

2k14 is still my favorite 2k this gen, and the best part is the offline mode is still the full career and you can glitch it to give you unlimited skill points EASY. It's such a breath of fresh air. Your characters felt insanely responsive too because the animations weren't super locked into the motion engine they have.

Are you kidding me? Why does 2k14 looks MILES better than 2k21??? If they showed that trailer I would be a hell of a lot less impressed by the PS5 version.

ACH1LL3US

Aug 6, 2020
I have a question. how does this come into play on these games that have a PC version? Will it look that good if you're PC allows it or will you still require a "next gen" update?

From what I understand the pc version this year is based on the current gen version and I believe this is also what happened with the ps3 to ps4 jump too. Next year you should be able to play the next gen version.

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
From what I understand the pc version this year is based on the current gen version and I believe this is also what happened with the ps3 to ps4 jump too. Next year you should be able to play the next gen version.
Interesting. So, in theory, the next-gen consoles will look better no matter what even if the PC is stronger. That's cray.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, this is unexpectedly the biggest next gen upgrade I've seen so far. Not even Spider-Man/Miles Morales makes such a jump. O:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
also, to be fair. this is ps4.

it looks a litte better on the one x.

though it's still pretty clear the difference is real vast.

but yeah, 2k14 was unbelievably good looking for its time. still does.

how far we've come

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The realistic graphics kind of make the strange animation interactions and clipping stand out even more in these sports titles. Gets more and more uncanny.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Is the pc version much better than the ps4 version? I could have sworn I've seen a good number of people say the pc version looks the same as the ps5 version.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
the game looks great, graphically. just added a lot of detail that makes it pop and closer to the real thing.

but the gameplay looks exactly the same based on the past few games. same animations, same physics.

hope the ai is much better
It is really flashy in a video showing off the stars and some specific animations, but just watch how janky the animations and AI are during rebounds and then it doesn't look any different to most NBA games.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
This makes me very interested to see what Madden will look like. Hopefully it makes a lot of sense why the current gen version feels like a beta.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is the pc version much better than the ps4 version? I could have sworn I've seen a good number of people say the pc version looks the same as the ps5 version.

Those people are mistaken.

I still can't get over this bit of the trailer. Shaders are absurd. This is the most lifelike footage I've seen from a next-gen game.
3743211-nbanextgen.jpeg

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
2K20 looks a lot better than this on Pro, also I think the video here is just very compressed, but you can still tell the games are a gen apart. There is more detail and much better lighting in the PS5 version.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It is really flashy in a video showing off the stars and some specific animations, but just watch how janky the animations and AI are during rebounds and then it doesn't look any different to most NBA games.
Exactly. That will be something they iron out as this looks like they're just continually building off the last gen base. But probably not knowing 2k these days.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Don't like how the clothes are lit, on jerseys, refs, coach, crowd. Huge divide between the detail on players and them.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, stiff animations here and there and ps4 looking like ps3 aside, that ps5 version is legit amazing at times. Photorealistic even at points. Impressive

Oct 28, 2017
Those people are mistaken.

I still can't get over this bit of the trailer. Shaders are absurd. This is the most lifelike footage I've seen from a next-gen game, both internally and externally.
3743211-nbanextgen.jpeg

The first time I watched this was on my phone, which is a bo-bo phone but then I watched this on the 4k in the living room and it legit looks like real life.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Lol that PS4 footage is a mad downgrade from 2k20. And tbh that PS5 footage looks marginally better then what we see on the Xbox on x.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Lighting and player models look so much better.

I just wish they would put that much time and effort into re-working their animations.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap, I don't care for sports game but it's bizarre how bad the PS4 version looks. Did the previous game look close to that?