• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nope, judging by the gameplay section, the cars models are the exact same. (and the hands of the player model too)

GT Sport vs GT7:

gMUEJIN.gif

I'm OK with GT7 not looking mind blowingly better than GTS. What I wanted most out of GT7 was a great single player campaign. I wanted my CARPG back.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy with the visuals seen in Horizon and Ratchet, games a few years in gonna be spectacular.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have literally seen nothing of what next gen has to offer. Ain't that a bit early to call graphics "underwhelming"?

We have literally seen some things of what next gen has to offer, we've had two video conferences from MS and Sony.

Figuratively, "we have seen nothing" because next gen will be 7 years long so we've seen so little it could be described as nothing in hyperbolic terms.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think we've really been shown any gameplay of the games that are supposed to blow you away visually. I do however think you might need glasses if you think drive club looks better than GT7 tho lol.

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I understand where you are coming from.
I've felt this way since the announcement of PS2.
Although I am sure that I'll get amazed by the progression in time, but right now I am in the diminishing returns department.

NES to SNES was amazing, snes to PS1 and N64 was both iffy and amazing. Anything since then has largely been iterative to me, which is not a problem since things are progressing but at a slower rate than the 12 year old in me would have liked.

I am sure that at the end of this next generation we will be accustomed to graphical fidelity that we today feel is unobtainable, at the same time we will be disappointed by the fidelity of the next generations first offerings.

Circle of life.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I've waited so long for PS5 showcase because i really want to see next gen graphics.

And now finally PS5 games got revealed, I rewatched all the trailers again at 4K.
But hey, those next gen visuals are just...Meh?

I know it's hard to judge from an early PS5 games, but it's still disappointing while Killzone Shadow Fall and Driveclub blew me away visually on the early PS4.
I still think Driveclub looks better than GT7.

Only game that impressed me was Horizon Forbidden West but not as much as i might have expected

capcom-deep-down-wallpaper-004.jpg

original_k.jpg

store_Infiltrator_screenshot_10-1920x1080-03d2046eb551360ddd2978940c50249c.png

This is what i expected from next gen graphics. Those tech demos are almost 10 years ago and it looks incredible even in 480p quality

Demon's Souls Remake looks similar to the Deep Down but it doesn't look much better.
Project Athia which is using same Luminous engine as Agni's Philosophy looks bad in the gameplay part of the trailer.

Are video game graphics reached their plateau or what?
My expectations for next gen have been lowered now.

I feel the same way with what I've seen so far. You need to wait and see the other games at launch or the ones released next year. This gen has everything in place to produce a graphical change similar to from PS1 to PS2. The SSDs as well will play a role in leading to the creation of games we cannot imagine at the moment. The devs are going to be developing for AMD hardware for the second gen in a row so they should hit the ground running. On the other hand GT7 was so underwhelming. I think Forza is going to produce much better results.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
That underwater Horizon shot is impressive, especially the detail in the environment and especially look at those bubbles. There's thousands of tiny air bubbles when you zoom right in. Presumably all particles that interact. It's jaw dropping. And this is year one. Once we see actual gameplay and the CPU comes into play.. wow. Just look at Ratchet and Clank and all the particles effects and physics happening all over the place.

It's definitely not a massive leap at first glance, especially when we're watching YouTube videos or dodgy streams, but in person I think this will be the generation of polish and immense virtually perfect image quality. Cannot wait.

It's amazing also seeing what indies can do. Stray looks amazing as well. I'm actually more excited to see what that game is as much as Horizon.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, judging by the gameplay section, the cars models are the exact same. (and the hands of the player model too)

GT Sport vs GT7:

gMUEJIN.gif
Did you not see the reflections on the helmets or even the reflections of other cars' mirrors? Can't see that stuff on GTS. Also look at the cockpit on the DB11 or even the dashboard shown in the very beginning of the trailer.

Jan 21, 2019
Not surprising that some people are underwhelmed. We had that thread a while back where people were literally expecting next-gen games to look like Avatar. I hope those people feel silly. Games looked great to me and were in line with my expectations.
I was one of the once jokingly comparing next gen games to Avatar and I gotta say, I got more than I expected. I am fully expecting an end gen Kojima game to come very close to Avatar (obviously we won't reach something in realtime that took months to render offline, but I am talking about perceivable similarity).

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Lol wait for Horizon to come out.
Wait til we're riding on the back of a robot turtle through a mossy marsh land.
You'll cry grown adult tears OP (and so will I).

and if you actually look at that fake Deep Down trailer now, away from your rose tinted nostalgia, it's clear we have handily surpassed it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
ps5/xsx stuff looks good. some of it looks incredibly good. my favorite so far is hellblade, but that has more to do with the animation/performance.

but ps4/xb1 stuff also looks good. hell, even switch stuff looks good! games all look good! at this stage, i'm glad that sony and microsoft have decided to move away only from how pretty their games can look with microsoft expanding outward with gamepass and becoming more platform-agnostic, while sony goes in a bit harder with dedicated hardware and focusing on ssd and haptic feedback.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
This was really amazing. It was not good that there was no 4k stream option, because the compression in that 1080p reveal stream was really bad.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's improvements particularly in the more minute details that I would say are noticeable. Maybe not immediately noticeable to everyone, but noticeable, lol.

This is the first generational transition of those I was really old enough to follow and observe (PS3 onward) where it doesn't really feel like the "look" of games is changing much to me though. I feel PS4/XBO-level hardware was actually really great at turning a lot of developer's art into good-looking, real-time video games. Horizon, Project Athia, and Hellblade 2, to pick out three games, look great and I would say they're "next-gen", but they also don't really make me feel like PS4/XBO games had to make massive, immediately noticeable sacrifices at a macro level to their art in order to become playable video games.

Feb 16, 2018
what i want from the new consoles is no aliasing and no shimmering visible at normal viewing distances

the current gen of console games have a lot of the same fancy graphics effects as what we'll see next-gen, but the visual clarity just isn't there

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Something interesting to note though..

Remember the UE5 demo ? Beyond the nanite and lumen tricks, it was also 1440p reconstructed. And everyone after that was like "oh ok, i'll take that iq if it gives us graphics like that"

Now it's interesting to see devs working on PS5 games for months now, didn't really get that memo i think. They're clearly aiming at native 4k from the screens we saw. Which is a performance killer basically, when you think you need 6 to 8TF to keep same performances on a 4k PS4 game.

Now seeing some of those games have this level of clarity and detail, + different type of next gen light on top of it, in native 4k, that's super impressive knowing the PS5 GPU.

But we'll reach UE5 level when they prioritize assets over resolution.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
Did you not see the reflections on the helmets or even the reflections of other cars' mirrors? Can't see that stuff on GTS. Also look at the cockpit on the DB11 or even the dashboard shown in the very beginning of the trailer.
I know the reflections and the lighting is improved, I was only talking about the models.

The DB11 is also in GT Sport btw:

astonmartindb111656kuc.jpg

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I think we are gonna get those pixar like graphics throughout next gen. It is too early to tell based on launch games at the beginning of a new gen. Besides, Ratchet & Clank and Horizon 2 are already incredible looking.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we aways have these same topics /discussions when a new generation starts.
A lot these games look incredibly good, but as lot of them are first and second generation titles. You're going see a lot of great looking games as the generation progress.

As some already said, this gen it won't be just graphics that we'll improvements in.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Strongly disagree. I was as impressed by Ratchet and Horizon as I was by the UE5 demo, especially the former since it was actual gameplay. They also look better than the examples pics you posted.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they look underwhelming it's just......I've long since passed the point of being blown away by sheer realism focused graphics. I look at PS4 Horizon and I'm like...it already looks fucking great, I ain't complaining. Yes PS5 Horizon obviously looks better but not better to the point it makes PS4 look like dogshit.

the old fake smoke and mirror demos like Watch Dogs and Anthem with all the crazy weather effects going did impress me a lot, but then of course they ended up being fake. I want to see more crazy dynamic stuff happening on screen at once during freeform gameplay, I don't really care that this statue has a trillion triangles or whatever.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think OP's comments are fine. Some of y'all are butthurt. It's early in the gen OP and most of the stuff that launched on PS4/Xbox didn't look as good as the more impressive tech demos. While we will see diminishing returns I'm sure we'll see even better looking games in a few years as games spend longer dev cycles with the new consoles.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I think we're now at a point where essentially every single video game coming out looks good. Consider: we used to talk about specific things in games that looked good, whereas now we tend to focus in on things that look bad. Bad looking aspects of games are the exception, no longer are they the rule. I'm finding it harder and harder to be impressed with graphics when everything looks so damn good anyway. It's kind of weird.

Really hoping we get to a point soon where framerate starts mattering more than graphics, because that's the one thing that has remained consistently rough in consoles for the past while.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Driveclub looks better than GT7? Huh... lol. I can't tell if people have bad memories or they're comparing PS4 photo mode to these trailers.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to see Microsoft's first party offerings bc they tend to push for higher framerates. Sony's games look good, but I wish they'd encourage devs to try for at least 60fps.

Fingers crossed that new Forza is running at 120fps.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I think next gen graphics will eventually differentiate themselves from the current gen but so far the first party showcases have been disappointing. Just not as much wow factor as previous gens for lack of a better term. What I mean is, with games like Killzone: Shadow Fall, Infamous:Second Son, and Ryse if someone told me they were running on PS3/X360 I'd call bullshit immediately. With the games shown so far for next gen in terms of visuals (So not counting R&C's quick warping), if you told me they were running on PS4 Pro/Xbox One X, I'd say that's impressive, but I'd believe you.

Last edited:

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm actually not surprised if people find it underwhelming. It's all subjective. I'm personally blown away (especially at Demon's Souls, Horizon 2, and R&C) and super excited, but I actually totally understand if people don't have the same reaction. The stuff we've been getting these last several years on PS4 were bonkers. Even some of the comparisons people post of R&C vs PS4 or the Control RT vs. no RT are actually pretty subtle in my opinion.

People who currently find it underwhelming: I hope you get a "wow!" moment at some point this upcoming gen!

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Driveclub looks better than GT7? Huh... lol. I can't tell if people have bad memories or they're comparing PS4 photo mode to these trailers.
Right! I got so tired of people championing driveclub thru photo mode and gifs lmao. Game does not look that great during gameplay. GT falls victim to that a little also. Forza horizon graphically is king imo

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from HFW and GT7, does anyone have a game that can come close to Halo I in graphics?
wait Halo...? Halo needs to come to close to other games we've seen the past year.

That's a game that I actually have my eye on for July, because the graphics in E3 2019 weren't next gen level imo compared to what we see now.
Especially that NPCs character model.

I'm expecting/hoping for a big bump.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I watched everything in 4K and games like Ratchet, Demon's Souls and Horizon 2 are damn gorgeous. Honestly not sure what some people expected. Even smaller games like Kena are drop dead gorgeous.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The games did look more like PS4 Pro quality for me. The level of detail, loading and animations in Ratchet & Clank was next gen.

That's the only game that sticks out to me.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
It's sort of messed up that Game Engine demos look better than actual games built within them.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits looked amazing to me.
Unreal Engine demos, and other tech demos always look better than the actual games. We all should not have expected games that look as good as that Unreal 5 engine demo at Sony's show. We also won't see any games that look that good at the Xbox Series X 1st party games show in July.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
R&C, GT7 especially, Keana, Demon's Souls, and Horizon FW blew me away.

I'm ready to see more GT7 60fps, more rifting in R&C, and while the cutscenes didn't wow me in Spider-Man I want to see it's gameplay and speed. Not all games need to be flooring me, a 1 to 1 looks Into The Spider-Verse movie game wouldn't floor me, but I would love it and the style of Spider-Man was already good but it was apparently pushing the limits of PS4 and now with PS5 they are free to breath and do some crazy stuff I'm sure. I can't wait!

Oct 31, 2017
Yea I don't get that either lol. I recently went back to Driveclub on my PS4 Pro and even GT Sport shits on it when it comes to detail since it's running at a much higher res than DC that's still capped at 1080p. 😂 I think people are comparing the games we've seen now to what they imagine the older games looked like when they played them. If you actually go and do a side by side comparison between the PS5 games and the PS4 games on a decent 4K display the jump in graphics is pretty damn impressive.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon and Ratchet looked amazing, but there was no gameplay there (and I doubt the gameplay will look like that). The ones that did show game play were significantly less impressive. Honestly, they kind of looked like maxed out PC games with worse framerates, and pretty much on par with what Microsoft showed. We may have to wait till mid gen before we really see some jaw dropping stuff.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Unreal Engine demos, and other tech demos always look better than the actual games. We all should not have expected games that look as good as that Unreal 5 engine demo at Sony's show. We also won't see any games that look that good at the Xbox Series X 1st party games show in July.

I don't really agree with this. I straight up think that Horizon 2 is the best looking game I've ever seen, including the UE5 demo. It's both technically advanced and artistically rich in detail.