• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
With all this talk of PS5 and Series X and specs and ray tracing, nobody seems to be discussing the most important thing - what size and shape are the game cases going to be?

PlayStation went from Jewel Case to DVD to Clear Blu-Ray to Blue rectangle

Xbox went from DVD to DVD to Green rectangle with the disc on the WRONG DAMN SIDE.

What's the next evolution?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Similar sizing with at least green or blue on either case respective of the branding.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
the size is probably staying the same, don't see them going away from the PS4/XB/ UHD cases.

OP
OP
Coolsambob

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Pretty much.

I always love the reveal of new game cases for next gen systems but I doubt we see much changes this time around.

That's what I'm afraid of, would be boring to have more of the same...

But different sized cases would mean Steelbooks not matching, which would be a disaster for me.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really hope Xbox puts the discs on the right side this time, not sure who thought it was a good idea to switch it.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keeping with trends, Xbox game cases will be exceptionally wide but very short, to complement the Series X tallness but lack of width.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Blu-ray cases baby, keep it SLICK BLACK

z5g1EB0.png

OP
OP
Coolsambob

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
We need uniform spines this gen I think. Like Switch games have... Except the few that don't match. Bloody Labo and Super Monkey Ball.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
im loving the black mock up cases thathas been posted xbox thread

Last edited:

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, purple would look pretty great and would really stand out from the crowd, but I doubt Sony will ditch blue at this point. I also weirdly liked the simplicity of clear PS3 cases.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'd love jewel / CD case form factor, with the plastic material used in current gen (so they don't shatter). But I expect it'll never happen.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Wasn't PS3 just like clear cases?

I was not a fan of that.

They'll definitely change the color from blue (and definitely not green or red) to distinguish them on the shelves.

I wonder if Xbox will do anything dramatic to clarify if a game case is for XSX or Xbox One? Or will it just not matter? You buy a green case, it'll work in anything called an Xbox. That seems to be what they want. It'll just come with patches that take advantage of whichever console you stuck it in.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't PS3 just like clear cases?

I was not a fan of that.

They'll definitely change the color from blue (and definitely not green or red) to distinguish them on the shelves.

I wonder if Xbox will do anything dramatic to clarify if a game case is for XSX or Xbox One? Or will it just not matter? You buy a green case, it'll work in anything called an Xbox. That seems to be what they want. It'll just come with patches that take advantage of whichever console you stuck it in.
wont be able to work on the first gen xbox ones.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I'd love jewel / CD case form factor, with the plastic material used in current gen (so they don't shatter). But I expect it'll never happen.
Exactly this. Those ps1 cases would shatter ALL. THE. TIME... but I also like their square form factor.
Also the smaller the cases are, the less plastic is needed, so it's a win-win.

As for the colour, I see black and purple are posted in this thread for PS5, and I like them both a lot, so either of those would be cool

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I just want Sony to get rid of that blue gradient. Making it black would be nice as well, blue sometimes clashes with some game artwork (Firewatch for example).

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I love the darker case designs floating around black and dark green and black and white for ps, they look awesome. Microsoft needs to go back to putting games on the correct side though and everyone needs manuals again.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like the cases to be smaller but more durable. Basically Switch cases that are large enough to hold a disc. PS4 cases are cheap and flimsy as hell. I hate them.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
A BluRay case the size of a jewel case would be cool.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it ends up being, it will be boring.

Now this is an idea I can get behind. Smaller == better.

Right? Why have all of that unused plastic if it's just holding a disc? Unless they want bigger cases for more elaborate box art, I don't see the point in having DVD/BD sized boxes anymore. Use the same style and materials for a jewel-case sized case and be done with it.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Xbox went from DVD to DVD to Green rectangle with the disc on the WRONG DAMN SIDE.

I loved what Xbox One did. I love it when a company changes things a little to be different. Find it pretty cool.

I think PS5 should stay BluRay Size but in Black

Xbox Series X should stay green but they can do black as well...

Or they both can do darker version of this gen. Darker blue and darker green. But I would love it if they both go black.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is, I hope Sony and Microsoft find a way to cut down on packaging. That's the best thing about Switch cases.

Are any of the cases that the companies currently make entirely recyclable?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Whatever they are I hope that Microsoft doesn't pull this "Include the name of the console twice," bullshit again:

resident-evil-3-616155.15.jpg

But they likely will as these sorts of cases only started appearing very recently.