• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With digital distribution set to really take over (sorry Gamestop), I can see retail hard copies of games jumping to $69 on release day. It really makes sense for publishers to charge $49 for digital and $59 for retail in next gen, since hard media is really going the way of the cassette tape. Down the road when pipes to our houses are 10x what they are now, we will all be either streaming these games or still downloading them as an option. Anyways, wanted to start a dialogue to get peoples thoughts...

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
It's not happening. With tax that's close to 80 dollars. Ain't no one paying almost a hundred dollars for games.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That's a great way for publishers to not provide you with copies to sell.

Oct 25, 2017
It's staying 60 with DLC/micro-transactions.

Unless this industry is insane, all of you that live in the USA don't get how good you have it price wise compared to basically everywhere else.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
I doubt it would be the case, a lot of people would wait on a sale at this price. What they could do is raise DLC price or include MTX a lot more though which I hope won't happen.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
With digital distribution set to really take over (sorry Gamestop), I can see retail hard copies of games jumping to $69 on release day. It really makes sense for publishers to charge $49 for digital and $59 for retail in next gen, since hard media is really going the way of the cassette tape. Down the road when pipes to our houses are 10x what they are now, we will all be either streaming these games or still downloading them as an option. Anyways, wanted to start a dialogue to get peoples thoughts...
0_o

What world do you live in?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Gonna be hilarious when they raise the price and there are even more microtransactions

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Time will tell. We stayed at $60 this gen after the $50 -> $60 price hike. If anything I could see games going back to $50 with how quickly they lower from $60 these days.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This gen in the UK games were priced high at the generation launch, especially on Switch. At least over here I'm fully expecting new console price gauging to make a return.

I imagine over time that will settle back down though - I don't see a permanent base price hike being a thing.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Special Editions are enthusiast products though.

Sure but people do pay for them. Your post stated that no one would pay that much. Anyhow, as I already stated if anything AAA GaaS games will start to come down in price because publishers realize that they need to get as many people playing the game as humanly possible. The proposed $69 is too high of a price barrier.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Given that there's more and more DLC and microtransactions, please don't let this happen. I'm completely okay with games increasing in price if it meant there are no MTX but we all know that's not gonna happen, so please let's keep it at $60.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
No...but stupid passes & other MTX systems will likely get even more aggressive.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games have been 69.99 right through this gen at launch so I don't expect any different. Easy to split with game sharing though.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
how many people do you think will actually buy that? lol.

More than 1 would suffice to prove my point. Yes, I fully realize that I am being a pedantic asshole. FWIW, GS sold out of the RE2 CE in the US at $199. So a few thousand people seem willing.

As I said, I don't see the price going up. If anything it will go down.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, no. Too expensive, dude. Especially the way these games aren't already monetized, even if they're full retail price.

More than 1 would suffice to prove my point. Yes, I fully realize that I am being a pedantic asshole. FWIW, GS sold out of the RE2 CE in the US at $199. So a few thousand people seem willing.
What's your point here? Superfans bought an expensive collector's item? Cool.

"A few thousand people" won't sustain AAA gaming studios and publishers.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not happening. With tax that's close to 80 dollars. Ain't no one paying almost a hundred dollars for games.

Canadians already do. And it's not like I'm getting paid more than when games were $60 here. Surprisingly if the choice is "pay more or don't play a game you want to play" the answer is pay.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, no. Too expensive, dude. Especially the way these games aren't already monetized, even if they're full retail price.

What's your point here? Superfans bought an expensive collector's item? Cool.

"A few thousand people" won't sustain AAA gaming studios and publishers.

The poster who I initially responded to stated that no one is paying $69 for a game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The model now is engagement in MTX and recurring revenue streams. The higher the price of your game, the less people you have paying for those services, the less community you have for your game and the faster it dies.

So no, is the answer to your question. There's a good reason so many AAA big titles go on sale so quickly after launch.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The way things are headed, i think its more likely than AAA games go F2P than increasing in price. An extra $10 aint shit compared to some of the money they can pull in when you have someone invested in your in-game economy.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe that. I could see them pulling every trick in the book to push people towards digital.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
The way things are headed, i think its more likely than AAA games go F2P than increasing in price. An extra $10 aint shit compared to some of the money they can pull in when you have someone invested in your in-game economy.

Absolutely spot on, they already got the kids used to buying Skins and Micro transactions or go the Game Pass route. It's only the enthusiasts will buy full priced games in the future.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The model now is engagement in MTX and recurring revenue streams. The higher the price of your game, the less people you have paying for those services, the less community you have for your game and the faster it dies.

So no, is the answer to your question. There's a good reason so many AAA big titles go on sale so quickly after launch.

Nailed it.