• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe this can be a great feature console users would enjoy.
Of course with cloud servers uploading your save files could basically protect your progress in case it'll corrupt your files, other risks are the only thing that would be holding this back.

For example, as long as it doesn't brick your console, or any serious risks involved with applying the mods to the games, i think users should have options in regards to this.

PC users have enjoyed the freedom when it comes to this, i hope it'll happen for next gen as well. Hey, let's also include Switch as well.

What do you think? Should console (handheld) makers be giving the freedom to mod your games?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Ah yes, I can't wait to play Skyrim with big tiddy anime girls in 8K on my PlayStation 5.

As much as I like the idea of mods, they'd have to be far more heavily regulated on consoles, and that's going to require having a team that monitors and tests mods before the head to consoles to ensure they either A.) safe for anyone who bought the base game to consume. B.) Aren't attempts to modify the system in any way. C.) aren't going to fuck your hardware if you use them.
It's a much greater task to undertake than it is on PC, so I don't see this being likely.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft will with the next Xbox, to some degree like we saw with Fallout 4.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
They should, but they won't. Or at the very least Sony won't allow it.

If you want more mods on consoles, I'd advise you to keep an eye on Xbox instead.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to happen. They are pushing away from mods on PC, you think they are going to do it on consoles?? HA!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Mods are a every bit a security risk for closed platforms and you'll likely never get them in the same way fashion you will on PC. Thats the platform holder perspective at least, from the third party perspective, they'll compete against DLC if they arent done in a way that they can monetize like bethesda does.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Sony had to be dragged kicking and screaming to let mods come to Skyrim ps4. Switch also dosent seem to have any mod support for Skyrim either. So unless Xbox makes this standard I doubt anything ever happens with it.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I can see xbox doing it through a verified process.

I dont see sony or Nintendo doing it through

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
lmao they try their best to prevent it on PC, it never works but they try it

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I think Microsoft will with the next Xbox, to some degree like we saw with Fallout 4.

There are rumors that Microsoft is working on a modding platform for Xbox. But no way it will be as open as free modding on PC; devs will need to support this platform in their games and it will be curated.

If you want to mod, alter or improve your games without aid and permission of the developer and platform owner, an open platform like PC is the only solution.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The obstacles aren't so much technical as they are political. Console platform holders are still in an obsessed mindset of curating their walled garden storefronts.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So then mods with some form of restriction then? Surly graphics mods cant be done because that would go pass the hardware capabilities and also some mods would break copyright rules on consoles.
To some degree i suppose. But maybe something like modding your game's resolution lower for better framerate? Honestly it's just an idea. But, for example mostly for single player games you could be adding random odd things, maybe extra user created missions. ok this is stating to sound like Dreams now lol
The real questipn, OP, is: 'do you wish to have cheaters online? '.

Because I guarantee you, the mods would lead to cheaters
Yeah i agree but how about limiting to single player experiences? Like offline mode for Dark Souls if a game has online capabilities

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Then why buy cosmetic dlc microtransactions and the sorts when you can mod it for free, game pubs wouldn't want it but they can't prevent it on PC obviously

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Microsoft will probably continue to allow it. I'd say they expand on it. Cities Skylines has it on Xbox but it's a small list right now. Just asset changes.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft was reportedly looking at adding essentially the Xbox equivalent of the Steam Workshop to Xbox one

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-microsoft-exploring-bringing-mods-xbox-one

xbox-mods-2.jpg

Microsoft has been rumored to be looking more deeply into mod support for Xbox One for quite a while, thanks to job listings we wrote about in the past. Now, thanks to some internal documents, we have a better idea of how Microsoft plans to turn Xbox One into a great platform for mods and for developers who want to allow mods in their games.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Had a quick read through, looked at date when it was written, and yeah it could be possible they held it on for next gen. I'm actually excited to see what Microsoft will reveal

Yea, I'm expecting this feature to be announced at or around E3 and implemented on Xbox One by the end of the year with it being available day one for next gen.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
X1 mods are not free and open. You have to go through the big giant American corporations.

And since next gen xbox will require all games to run on xcloud as well, i doubt they will be loosening restrictions.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X1 mods are not free and open. You have to go through the big giant American corporations.

And since next gen xbox will require all games to run on xcloud as well, i doubt they will be loosening restrictions.

Considering what is available on Skyrim on the Xbox, they haven't gone too crazy. One is called immersive wenches for gods sake.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
So then mods with some form of restriction then? Surly graphics mods cant be done because that would go pass the hardware capabilities and also some mods would break copyright rules on consoles.

Pretty sure Creation Club was more outsourced DLC than your normal freely created mods. You had to pitch a project to Bethesda and if they accepted, they required meeting milestones, which they paid you for, QA etc.

Some people converted their existing works to it for console compatibility, but overall you can easily say that it misses the whole point of mods.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
You wouldn't want to know how much moderation this would equate to from a company's point of view. Unfortunately we can't have things like these because we would get too much genitalia shaped things among others.