• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Next Gen; yay or nay?

• Yay!

Votes: 793 61.1%
  • Nay!

Votes: 301 23.2%
  • Either way!

Votes: 204 15.7%

• Total voters

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Hi Era, this is my first thread and I hope it's an interesting one to all of you!

Hearing a lot of gaming outlets talk about the next generation of consoles being upon us is so tiring. There's been lots of speculation about the next Xbox and the presumed Playstation 5, whether or not it'll have a focus on streaming, native 4K, or in Microsoft's case, whether their streaming services expand to even beyond their own console. But IMO, this generation really feels like it only got into its groove not that long ago, like early 2016, when games starting coming out in more consistent quality. With development costs already astronomically rising this generation, studio closures, etc., are new consoles from Sony and Microsoft actually a solution for anybody?

I had a convo with Penguin on Twitter a while ago, where he stated that the games industry needs to be better at promoting games already released instead of immediately jumping to the next thing (and he's 100% right), and I think we need to do the same with consoles. Any developers that frequent Era, please feel free to school me on this, but I feel like, at this point in a console's lifecycle, more streamlined development infrastructure is in place after studios have already released one or two big games for these platforms, and now studios can actually make some high caliber games more smoothly in the later years. I used to constantly criticize Nintendo for putting games out on 3DS when the Switch was so popular, but now I see why they did; they were probably stupid cheap and super easy to make.

The Switch is a separate issue because besides bringing something actually new to the gaming landscape, it solves a problem for multiple parties, but I think it'd be better to use this time to polish games/take risks. Use this time to maybe make a game like Anthem that isn't bugged to hell, take risks on new entries in fairly niche series; the financial risk is much smaller at this time for Devil May Cry 5 or something like a new Dino Crisis instead of making it when you're learning new hardware at the same time. Just take some chances on new games, and surprise your audience a little bit. I think it's okay to just exist in this space for a while.

What do you all think?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty soon yeah

PS4 and Xbox One are really starting to slow down now in terms of sales. 2019 will be down from 2018 and next year will be especially brutal

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you to a certain extent. The rising cost of development I think has hurt games a lot more than it's helped. On the other hand the hardware of the current systems are inadequate for something as simple as 1080p 60fps most of the time

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yes make it happen, options are always good and technology in and of itself just moves so fast. As long as BC becomes the gold standard across the board then no one is missing out.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
No. It'll take devs a while to get used to making games for the new systems, and launch titles tend not to be the standout titles of their generations. Plus the PS4 and XB1 have been getting really good games as of late so I'd personally like to see what else can come out for them. Also, those who want more powerful options have the option of PS4 Pro and XB1X, unlike in previous generations. Let the current gen stick around for as long as possible IMO.

Oh and it's likely that next gen games will take even longer to make, and IMO it's already gotten too long in several cases (like Rockstar only releasing 1 game for this gen unlike before when they managed to release several).

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
IF PS5 is actually BC with PS 1-3, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I skipped PS2 and 3 altogether, so I would love to experience their best games.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I'm personally itching for new consoles, but technological progress is what it is and I don't particularly have a problem with that onward march continuing.

Edit: Gonna also shout out to BC on PS5; that'd get me on board really fast.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
If someone should be asked about needing new hardware, those should be the devs, artists and designers of games. Would love to hear their opinion regarding if the consoles are blocking them from doing major changes (Not just resolution/FPS)

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This generation still feels new to me. Controller, UI, games etc. The overall gaming ecosystem doesn't feel 5 years old at all. I can wait 2 years or more for new consoles.

OP
OP
Christo750

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I agree with you to a certain extent. The rising cost of development I think has hurt games a lot more than it's helped. On the other hand the hardware of the current systems are inadequate for something as simple as 1080p 60fps most of the time
True but it also depends on the type of game you make, how your budgeting your game, etc.

And yeah 100% it's hurt games. Big budget games have never been more samey.

If someone should be asked about needing new hardware, those should be the devs, artists and designers of games. Would love to hear their opinion regarding if the consoles are blocking them from doing major changes (Not just resolution/FPS)
That's more or less my point and I'm hoping they chime in.

Dec 23, 2017
I don't think so. I loved the Wii/360/PS3 gens longevity. We got a lot of great games and developers were kind of forced to make great games. Now they just keep saying they need more specs. We have ps4 pro and Xbox one x. I just don't see the need for anything new right now but cosole makers seem to think other wise. Will keep giving my Switch all the love I can.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't NEED a new console but the idea of what a next gen Destiny will look like gets me super excited.

Oct 27, 2017
All the points you raised about industry not moving onto next thing are valid OP but yes we need new consoles

These resets every 6-7 years (but with BC tho) are good. They reset the market a bit and give it energy when consumers upgrade because they're looking for new experiences for their new devices

See how indie game sales years ago were best on Steam and really good on PS4 (not saying they aren't still good) but how Switch has taken over as the best place for indie sales. Because it is newer and the PC/PS4/Xbox One marketplace gets fatigued and crowded with games as years go by

So while we should and will have BC and not full gen resets, clear goalposts with new consoles is good for the industry. Devs are free to keep supporting older systems or mid range systems like Switch with lower costs but as with all consoles, the older they get the harder it is to get visibility on your game if you're not a mega publisher

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If it's anything like this gen, it's going to take a while for the systems to build up a worthwhile library. I'm happy just to stick to my Switch for the time being.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think in answer to some of the concerns voiced there about iterating on mature development pipelines rather than 'starting over', I think this transition should be one of the smoothest yet.

For example, it would not surprise me at all if the PS5 SDK is largely the same as the PS4 SDK.

Extra power is always welcome for reducing production barriers and making it easier to achieve a given goal for a game.

On whether customers need a new console - I think a large part of the gaming audience is neophilic - that is, on the look out for new things - and does 'need' a new generation of consoles, and there's a decent chunk of the market that will be there for it in the early stage of the next cycle. And then over time as more content settles on a next-gen baseline, the 'take it or leave it' market will come over. Same as always. But even the neophiles will need a demonstration from the platform-makers of what this new generation can do... as always it's up to the platform makers to show and sell the difference. I think there definitely is room for them to do that though.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. I loved the Wii/360/PS3 gens longevity. We got a lot of great games and developers were kind of forced to make great games. Now they just keep saying they need more specs. We have ps4 pro and Xbox one x. I just don't see the need for anything new right now but cosole makers seem to think other wise. Will keep giving my Switch all the love I can.
Devs saying they want a generation refresh so they can start making the games they always wanted to make and couldn't before is a part of every generation, even last one.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Considering the numerous yells of gaming being too expensive, I really don't see how next-gen fixes anything besides just making AAA companies spend even more money, while treating their employees even worse.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yea!

I never bought a Pro and am all but done with the Xbox ecosystem at this point, so if the PS5 is BC with at least the 4 and acts at least like a Pro when running said games, bring it on!

Seriously, it's Yea. I see this all the time. Eggcorn or not. </grammar police>

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Framerates on the PS4 have been bad since its release so yeah it'd be nice to have something more powerful. It'd also be nice if developers and publishers aimed for stable framerates more next gen.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm still intrigued by what VR can be, and I think current boxes aren't strong enough. Personally I got fantastic mileage with my OG PS4 and its still going. I wouldn't mind a console that can easily do 4K/60FPS on modern games. But as always it will come down to what games can I play that I can't currently.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Meh. I hope the next generation is more future compatible. Let me get a new revision with improved performance every year!

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Yes, though my X may hold me for another year or two.

Yeah, I'm an X1X only gamer and it will hold me over.

BUT.... the slowness of the Jaguar CPU cores and the storage interface (even with a internal SSD, yes I did that) really annoys me.
I also want to try VR on my console and Phil killed it on the X1X.

It's a painful wait until November 2020. I can't WAIT to trade in both my X1X's Day One! Jaguar, you 2013 tech that was shit even in 2013.... BEGONE!!!

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always confused by people who want to be stuck with the same generation for a decade. By the time the new consoles are out it would have been seven or eight years since this gen started (not counting the Wii U). It's time to throw this shit to the side; if it were up to me generations would be five years max.