• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

winwood

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
useless metric...

same depth, guess which one has greater volume.

zu2bFvf.png

Exactly this. Have to take into account the efficiency of the volume when fitting these consoles into a space.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I don't really think volume is a decent metric when you can't do anything with the empty space the curves on the ps5 cause?

useless metric...

same depth, guess which one has greater volume.

zu2bFvf.png

Ok, hold up.

The volume calculated in the OP is most likely just the volume of a box that would be occupied by the system's length x width x height dimensions, which are publicly known.

The real reason they're so close in volume is simply because the Series X is wider.

Last edited:

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
I don't really care about the volume or size of the physical enclosures...

now, if someone wants to leak the sales volume... I'm all ears.
Everything available was sold. Except for the Xbox series s in Germany - that still seems to be available.

On a more serious note:
I'd like to know the maximum occupied volume of these systems and by that I mean how much space is really occupied. I'll have both systems at launch but I am a bit worried about the ps5 and my entertainment cabinet...

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think volume is a decent metric when you can't do anything with the empty space the curves on the ps5 cause? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the maths but it seems way more than that on the initial measurements including the cover ?
The big space that you claim shouldn't be counted is used for airflow so it's part of the design and should be ?
Exactly. That 5% figure doesn't mean you need 5% more space to fit it somewhere.

You might as well start measuring the internal cavities and subtracting that, too, for the value in these figures.

Last edited:

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I called it (the actually minor size difference) a while back, when some people were acting like the PS5 was twice as big and therefore the XSX was a marvel of engineering due to requiring so little space for cooling. Volume = space.
Obviously to many that doesn't matter much now that they're pretty much equal :P

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Its interesting that despite looking so different in size the actual space they occupy is closer. But it's not really useful information. What's important is how much space they need to fit into or around our TV.

Personally I think neither would fit into my entertainment unit. But both would sit ontop of it just fine without interfering with my TV that is wall mounted above it. Although i have my controller charging stands occupying that space at the moment.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So many "versus" threads. From marketing lines to console volume.
Next month is gonna be crazy.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Ir is very interesting because many keep saying XSX is a marvel of engineering because it is much smaller than ps5, when in fact are really close in volume.
Both seem to be very well thought with very different priorities when designed
This is the real takeaway.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So many "versus" threads. From marketing lines to console volume.
Next month is gonna be crazy.
Obviously the load times will be what many want to see and of course performance but you're right, everything from the UI, who has the nicer HDMI cable, and which box art looks best will be explored.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could put my series x in sideways into my entertainment center. But i bought a little pc stand to put next to my entertainment center instead so i can stand it up

Oct 31, 2017
Nice.

I preordered the Digital Edition of the PS5. I always thought it looked sexier/smaller and I also don't have use for physical discs since I went full digital years ago.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I initially ignored this thread....but then I was bored and started doing some comparing.

For starters.....they weigh the same??? Wut?

PS5 disc - 9.9 lbs
Series X - 9.8 lbs

That alone got me to start comparing more....

PS5 in inches: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/

15.35 in x 5.5 in x 10.24 in (they measured this by width x height x depth? Is this horizontal?)

Series X in inches: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x#purchase

5.9 in x 5.9 in x 11.8 in (is this length, width, height vertical?)

So....at the end of day volume doesnt help us for how we place these consoles. BUT...lol, I am shocked that the PS5 is smaller in 2 measurements.

PS5 must be horizontal, Series X vertical for this to make sense. Because its not making sense. Would you have to re-arrange the PS5 and Series X measurements to match to get a better idea?

(Maybe PS5 measured vertical is 10.24 in x 5.5 x 15.35 in?)

(And Series X horizontal is 5.9 in x 11.8 in x 5.9 in?)

tl;dr, they weigh the same.....thats amazing and kinds of lends insight to the volume discussion.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
It's comes down to only one metric that matters, how it's going to look in person and at their desks/entertainment centres. That's the only measurement that anyone is going to have any use for. The difference between boxy shape and the curves set up really interesting first impressions; the Series X was huge, and the PS5 was slim (with drive chonk). Yet almost everyone who gets the Series X in front of them says "Huh. It's smaller than I thought". Dimensions and smaller men holding holding the PS5 aside, I'm looking forward to people reacting to unrestricted access to the PS5 in person.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I initially ignored this thread....but then I was bored and started doing some comparing.

For starters.....they weigh the same??? Wut?

PS5 disc - 9.9 lbs
Series X - 9.8 lbs

That alone got me to start comparing more....

PS5 in inches: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/

15.35 in x 5.5 in x 10.24 in (they measured this by width x height x depth? Is this horizontal?)

Series X in inches: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x#purchase

5.9 in x 5.9 in x 11.8 in (is this length, width, height vertical?)

So....at the end of day volume doesnt help us for how we place these consoles. BUT...lol, I am shocked that the PS5 is smaller in 2 measurements.

PS5 must be horizontal, Series X vertical for this to make sense. Because its not making sense. Would you have to re-arrange the PS5 and Series X measurements to match to get a better idea?

(Maybe PS5 measured vertical is 10.24 in x 5.5 x 15.35 in?)

(And Series X horizontal is 5.9 in x 11.8 in x 5.9 in?)

tl;dr, they weigh the same.....thats amazing and kinds of lends insight to the volume discussion.

Where are you getting 5.5 in width for PS5?

104mm in inches is 4.1 inches.

Your other dimensions look right.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
It's fine to have this confirmed (especially when early musings from Albert Penello and others had the PS5 at 40% larger in volume), but ultimately for me only one of the two systems is actually going to fit in my entertainment unit. That said, I've made a small space for the Series X to go behind my TV, hopefully it fits there, if it doesn't I'll have to move my TV or TV unit forward a tad till it does.

How are they doing these calculations?

Official specs for the PS5 are 390mm x 104mm x 260mm =10545 cm3

XSX = 151 x 151 x 301 = 6863 cm3

This actually under-estimates the PS5 buy their own admission (excludes largest projection, excludes Base) and is still larger than the estimates I was using. So the external dimensional volume is 46% larger.

Are you sure this calculation isn't displacement? That's usually calculated in liters and is not the same thing as volume.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The other benefit to getting a PS5DE, is not needing it to be accessible. If I can't fit it in my entertainment center, I have plenty of well-ventilated space behind it, so I'll just stick it there. I don't need to access it to put discs in.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
How are they doing these calculations?

Official specs for the PS5 are 390mm x 104mm x 260mm =10545 cm3

XSX = 151 x 151 x 301 = 6863 cm3

This actually under-estimates the PS5 buy their own admission (excludes largest projection, excludes Base) and is still larger than the estimates I was using. So the external dimensional volume is 46% larger.

Are you sure this calculation isn't displacement? That's usually calculated in liters and is not the same thing as volume.
The OP looks like they're using liters, otherwise I don't know what the L stands for.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
The other benefit to getting a PS5DE, is not needing it to be accessible. If I can't fit it in my entertainment center, I have plenty of well-ventilated space behind it, so I'll just stick it there. I don't need to access it to put discs in.
You know what? Nobody is forcing you to use the disc drive in a console.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who often packs things and moves things around, volume means absolutely nothing. Everything is considered boxy and the amount of space that box takes is all that matters. I don't care if it's rounded or whatever, it's cubed dimension is all that matters.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I mean the Xbox is a box and you can calculate the volume with the overall dimensions, the ps5 is curves so the overall dimensions tell you nothing about the volume, just what the smallest box it can fit in

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I can't believe how svelt the PS5DE is. I think it's the nicest looking of them all but I need a 4K player and cant let go of physical for re-selling and buying 2nd hand discs.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I couldn't get a DE so will doing this exact thing with my disc version and just pretending it's a DE.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Both fit in a media cabinet, so who cares? One is wider, the other is taller when oriented horizontally, depth is irrelevant as it is hidden anyway. Both are hideous.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who often packs things and moves things around, volume means absolutely nothing. Everything is considered boxy and the amount of space that box takes is all that matters. I don't care if it's rounded or whatever, it's cubed dimension is all that matters.
Yeah, that's true for the actual use of the console. Yet people like numbers. and the volume metric will be used a lot, probably as soon as we get more in depth looks at the PS5 and at launch during the "holy crap it's huge" phase.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
The fact that people find the need to frame the size of the PS5 in fucking volume is something else. It's a fucking huge console, you can enjoy buying it and acknowledge its huge.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, volume is a useless measurement if you're trying to figure out if it'll fit in a cabinet. But it's handy when people start arguing over which console is engineered better based on volume, because trust me, that's happened.

And while the XSX is certainly easier to fit in most shelving on its side, it looks a lot worse horizontally, and vertically it's still tall enough to be awkward (but at least it looks good that way). On the other hand, while the PS5 looks fine on its side, it's so wide that it's going to actually make it hard to fit it next to my PS3. That full BC could have come in real handy.