• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
With the rumoured cpu's and raytracing hardware for next gen consoles.... I'm expecting the gap between high end pc and consoles to be much less than what it has ever been

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What makes you think developers won't still chose graphics over framerate? Especially later on in the generation.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
The gap will shrink if nothing on the PC side gets released before the new consoles. When Nvidia 7nm hits the gap is going to widen and drastically.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
60fps target? Really? If they must chose between 30fps + glorious visuals or 60fps + medium settings... Guess what would they do.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The gap will be much less for a year at most, and then PC will be far ahead again. Also, developers have made it clear this gen they prefer to focus on graphics than fps.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
This generation's framerate situation has been held back by trash CPUs, not fancy graphics.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I think you're still going to see a pretty dramatic difference, primarily because 2nd & 3rd gen RTX are most likely going to crush whatever specialized hardware next gen is working with. If we weren't in the middle of this weird transition to ray-tracing, I would agree.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Well I doubt the PS5/Scarlett is going to be even able to hit 60fps at 8K. So PC's will still hit 144hz and above for a long time, since their is legitimately not a single chance whatever is going into either console at this point will have the power for anything stable at 8K.

Why we're still targetting higher and higher resolutions for system which can't handle it I will never know but that's the console way.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The same developers who generally target 30fps, will ultimately do the same next gen. Same goes for those who usually target 60. Not a thing will change once everyone is familiar with the hardware.

If you want 60 across the board, you'll need a PC as usual.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Well I doubt the PS5/Scarlett is going to be even able to hit 60fps at 8K. So PC's will still hit 144hz and above for a long time, since their is legitimately not a single chance whatever is going into either console at this point will have the power for anything stable at 8K.

Why we're still targetting higher and higher resolutions for system which can't handle it I will never know but that's the console way.

They're not going to aim for 8K...

New consoles have 8K support, but that doesn't mean they're aiming to run games at that ridiculous resolution.

OP
OP
HaloForzaGuy

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017

60fps at 4k... Even one x has come close a few times. 8k is not needed imo

The advantage consoles have is that 60fps is the target due to the controller

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
After playing Destiny 2 on PC with an average framerate of 120fps+, I don't understand how anyone plays at 30fps anymore. blows my mind. Destiny 2 is a prime example of how you can make a good looking game perform smooth as butter. That shit should be industry standard.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
they're not going to target 60fps, they're gonna target 30 like they do now. they had the chance to go for 60 with the ps4 and the one and they didn't bother to do it

also if you think you're getting anything, even 30fps 8k out of the new console generation you're a fool.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
With the rumoured cpu's and raytracing hardware for next gen consoles.... I'm expecting the gap between high end pc and consoles to be much less than what it has ever been
60fps is not going to be the standard, lol. It could have been the standard at any point.

They will try to chase the most flashy tech like ray tracing. You will be playing most big budget games chasing this tech at 30fps.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
They're not going to aim for 8K...

New consoles have 8K support, but that doesn't mean they're aiming to run games at that ridiculous resolution.
Well nobody was going to aim for 4K till it was basically pushed for by mainstream consumers. Every time a resolution is mentioned people expect to play at that resolution. Regardless of their technical expertise. Most consumers who aren't deeply invested will just return whatever they own if it doesn't do what is on the box.
60fps at 4k... Even one x has come close a few times. 8k is not needed imo

The advantage consoles have is that 60fps is the target due to the controller

Yeah but coming close at 4K now is going to be basically be never hitting it at 8K.

Oct 27, 2017
60fps with raytracing? I doubt it. The new consoles are going to be obsolete before they launch at this rate. ( Not really but the jump isn't going to be as large in the graphics side as last gen) Part of the issue is the price of video cards are just way higher comparitively to last gens launch. The gap will be larger than ever your probably going to be looking at massive TF difference in PC hardware vs console.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
How many times do we have to teach you this lesson

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
60 fps? Why would they make the game better to play and generally more enjoyable when we can make the shadows and resolution slightly better.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
This has to be one of worst threads on this forum.

Firstly those fps targets are arbitrary, they make no sense. You literally just pulled them from your ass. Secondly new gen consoles used to be more powerful than even the most high end PCs available. Do you think that's going to be the case in 2020? I mean, what is the point of this thread?

Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely likely that next year's Ti card from Nvidia will be twice as powerful as either next gen console, and it doesn't at all seem likely that AMD's first gen RT solution will be better than NV's second gen solution. So no, PC will still be far and away the best place to play if you want the best hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even just visuals. They can keep the same framerate but go nuts with every element that's heavier on CPUs. That has to be a more enticing use of that power for game designers than keeping things relatively samey but pushing higher framerates.

For the end user it won't always be worth it, a lot of the simulation will barely make any difference while the 60fps would be very noticeable all the way through, but for someone putting 4 to 5 years of their lives into making the game? I have to imagine pushing things further is much more exciting.

If they can easily achieve their vision while still hitting less than 16ms with their CPU frametimes, then sure, I can see them at least offering the option of turning off graphical features to play at 60.

But I have to imagine it's far more likely that instead of working their asses off just to barely meet that 33ms target, they'll more easily get into the 25 range while doing a lot more and not having to cut anything from their initial targets, and will just lock it to 30fps and call it a day.

Which is completely fine, in my opinion. PC is where you go if you want everything at 60, consoles just won't provide that anymore.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol @ anyone thinking devs will target 60 fps for next gen. 60 fps will be reserved for racing and FPS games (as well as ports of older games), the new AAA games that want to impress with their visuals will still go for 30 fps.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They've already announced ray tracing. Both major console manufacturers have had their war on 4k so there's no going back on that either. You can't release next-gen games and not have better looking character models, physics, and textures either. You can't have smaller and less detailed worlds. You also can't sell base / entry consoles for more than $499 without it being DOA. Something has gotta give, and it's always framerate. 60 FPS will not be the median experience for next-gen console games, sorry.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just no. AAA developers will just keep pushing more graphical prowess until the fps drops all the way back to 60 or 30, as it has always been. Perhaps we'll see some rare games trying to push for a higher framerate since TVs will increasingly support it, but they'll be the exceptions, not the norm.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they say this every generation.

Moore's law is upon us. It's going to be very interesting to see the CPU you'll need in a PC to even double a 30fps PS5/XB2 game considering they're going to have 8 core / 16 thread Ryzen CPU's clocked around 3Ghz. Even more difficult with 10+ tflop GPU's and SSD's.

It's not Jaguar's anymore :P

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm telling you. That CPU power is going to be used for cloth physics, extra collision with foliage and objects, background flourish, more complex animation, Etc. Used for superficial graphic stuff.

60fps is gradually becoming more marketable, and that is the limiting factor. Genres where the audience demands 60fps get it. Audiences that don't, don't.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What makes you think developers won't still chose graphics over framerate? Especially later on in the generation.

That's what they do every single generation. The biggest performance increase (comparatively) seems to be from the SSD this time. Admittedly, that will be a huge performance increase, at least as far as having to sit forever waiting for levels to load.

The last one sure as fuck didn't, nor did the one before that.

The smallest gap in performance between PC & Console space will be seen during the new platforms launch. That's about as close as the two ever get.

The 360 was more powerful than most gaming PCs around when Oblivion launched. That was an outlier scenario, but it did happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Well nobody was going to aim for 4K till it was basically pushed for by mainstream consumers. Every time a resolution is mentioned people expect to play at that resolution. Regardless of their technical expertise. Most consumers who aren't deeply invested will just return whatever they own if it doesn't do what is on the box.

Yeah but coming close at 4K now is going to be basically be never hitting it at 8K.

8K is not a thing at all. It's not being pushed.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
It's not gonna happen. You get what you pay for, in gaming and everything else. Want to play in the best hardware possible, build your own high-end system. That simply isn't gonna change. Not even on the moment the next-gen consoles release, let alone halfway through the gen.

Also, the notion that PCs target any arbitrary number of superhigh FPS doesn't make any sense. PCs don't target any number of FPS, unlike consoles, because the hardware is extremely variable. YOU yourself can try targeting a number of FPS while building your own rig, but it is as far as you can get from an exact science given the range of uses (and games) you can put your PC to.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
60fps target? Really? If they must chose between 30fps + glorious visuals or 60fps + medium settings... Guess what would they do.
The current trend is giving us "high framerate" modes for the "Pro" consoles, and Phil Spencer said (something like) with the new XBox framerate will be a bigger focus.

I also never understood this "glorious visuals in 30fps" thing. This only goes for still images, but games are moving images - as soon as a 30fps game starts moving it looks like a not-so-glorious stuttering mess.