• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In September 2020, VGM surveyed 511 respondents to ascertain their preordering success with and purchasing intent for the upcoming PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X and Series S consoles. This white paper reveals the findings of this study.

Key takeaways
  • Demand for the next generation of consoles is high, in particular for the PlayStation 5, and for the more-expensive disc-based versions of each. 44% of the gamers surveyed indicate they tried to preorder at least one of the upcoming next-gen systems. However, the current supply in preorder channels is unable to match the demand:
    • While 15% of respondents say that they have successfully preordered a next-generation console, almost twice as many (29%) say that they tried to preorder a next-gen console but were unable to do so.
    • Among respondents that successfully preordered a next-gen console, 72% preordered a disc edition of the PlayStation 5, 30% preordered an Xbox Series X, 10% preordered a PlayStation 5 digital edition, and 8% preordered an Xbox Series S.
    • Among respondents that tried to preorder a next-gen console but were unable to do so, 58% tried to preorder a disc version of the PlayStation 5, 40% tried to preorder an Xbox Series X, 21% tried to preorder a digital edition of the PlayStation 5, and 11% tried to preorder an Xbox Series S.

• The number of preorders by gamer type follows a fairly predictable pattern:
    • More than a quarter (28%) of Hardcore Gamers (a segment of respondents that self identify as either "hardcore" or "very hardcore" gamers) say that they have preordered a next-gen console, while another 42% say that they tried to preorder one but were unable to do so.
    • Meanwhile, 14% of Midcore Gamers (those that self-identify as gamers that are "in-between casual and hardcore") successfully preordered a next-gen console, while 32% of them say they tried to preorder one but were unable to do so.
    • Finally, only 6% of Casual Gamers (those that self-identify as "casual" or "very casual" gamers) say they have preordered a next-gen console, while another 13% of them say they tried to preorder one but were unable to do so.

More insights in the pdf.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
This was already locked due to being misleading and sensationalist. 511 people surveyed and 15% of which actually purchased a next gen console. Pretty much fake news 101.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a similar thread about this yesterday that got locked due to misleading information.

www.resetera.com

GameIndustry.Biz: PS5 accounts for 72% of US next-gen pre-orders News

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-08-ps5-accounts-for-72-percent-of-us-next-gen-pre-orders
Is this the source? From the clients it listed both Sony and MS. Is this not a reputable source?

www.vgm.co

Clients - VGM

Full service market research. Consumer playtesting, focus groups, online surveys, usability testing. #1 in video games. Entertainment, mobile apps, media.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Misleading? Maybe. But fake news? The company was hired to do this, you can check all the data on the PDF in the OP.

The original source says "PS4 accounts for 72% of US preorders." Someone did the math and out of people surveyed, something like 50~ of people said they preordered a PS5. 50 surveyors =/= the U.S. The fake news moniker doesn't mean something is 100% false.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I do really want to know how many Xbox Series S's are being moved. At the announcement, it sounded like a layup decision, the easiest one out there... but I keep seeing people springing for the Series X.

Maybe it's because I mostly follow enthusiast places and people, but even the few super casual gamers I know want the Series X because they're going to get one in the next few years, or have a 4K tv already.

Just feels like every anecdotal poll I've seen run on twitter and the like... the Series S gets dwarfed by the Series X. Hell, I thought I was going PS5/Series S, but I dunno what happened... I just felt like Series X made more sense in the long haul.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The original source is says "PS4 accounts for 72% of US preorders." Someone did the math and out of people surveyed, something like 50~ of people said they preordered a PS5. 50 surveyors =/= the U.S. The fake news moniker doesn't mean something is 100% false.

The fake news moniker usually means that it is actually true.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see how long this last.

I didn't really see the problem before but....🤷

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do really want to know how many Xbox Series S's are being moved
At least in germany, that thing is already dead in the water. On Amazon you can actually preorder an XSS für 10€ off already. The XSX was sold out immediatly. Tho that has nothing to say because I imagine the allocated units for the german market are rather small.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I do really want to know how many Xbox Series S's are being moved. At the announcement, it sounded like a layup decision, the easiest one out there... but I keep seeing people springing for the Series X.

Maybe it's because I mostly follow enthusiast places and people, but even the few super casual gamers I know want the Series X because they're going to get one in the next few years, or have a 4K tv already.

Just feels like every anecdotal poll I've seen run on twitter and the like... the Series S gets dwarfed by the Series X. Hell, I thought I was going PS5/Series S, but I dunno what happened... I just felt like Series X made more sense in the long haul.
The fact that it doesn't have a disk drive hurts a lot. Even here in Brazil where it is a lot cheaper than the premium machine it is not selling. With next-gen gaming price hikes, people will want the option to buy physical to resell.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The people that the Series S is aimed towards don't preorder consoles, this thing will sell really well when it's on shelf's and grandma sees it's $100 cheaper than the other options.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Please avoid single polls based on such low numbers when creating threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.