• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the way all the Breath of the Wild characters/areas looked in Smash Ultimate was really great. I don't know if it's possible to have graphics like that in an open world game like BOTW, though.
Sure it is but remember BotW is a WiiU game. If BotW was developed for the Switch it might look more like the Smash representation.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
BotW looks perfect to me.

It's exactly the hybrid of Wind Walker and Skyward Sword I wanted.

Nov 8, 2017
It's an amateur, extremely small scale production so I'm not going to shit on on this person for not being able to produce something in a fully realized, coherent art style by their lonesome as a hobby. I'm assuming there's some premade assets like the foliage but they've done a lot of work to get it to this point (there's years of videos on their channel leading up to this). In the hands of a full dev team I'm quite confident that UE4 could take a similar style (i.e. not cell shaded but still stylized) and make it look absolutely phenomenal for a Zelda game.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OrMRjK_5RRU

Dear god Nintendo. I need this in my life, so beautiful

how do you think next Zelda will look? will they keep the same artstyle or will they going with something different? what do you want from the next iteration?

since the new game will not have the Wii U old tech around, I hope they really push it to make a similar look as the video above
I knew before clicking this was another ugly CryZENx video, but you had to bait us in anyway by not embedding it.

I honestly don't understand how you think that looks good, it's like people that have never seen a UE4 game before and just like the shiny, plasticy look of the engine. This should be used as an example of how a Zelda game should definitely not look.

The next Zelda in my mind uses the RDR2 engine and has a similar budget to portray Hyrule, that's how I imagine the OoT Remake in my mind.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
There's a whole 3D remake of the game and emulators that solve the framerate issues. That blocky version looks significantly better than this sterile UE concept.
The 3DS version? Yeah that was much better than on N64, first time I played through the game, the awful N64 version gets zero love from me.

But check the other videos as well, they're older but I really like Hyrule Field, the moving grass and sunshine is nice, night and day difference from Nintendo's versions.

That said, I love BOTW, it's my #1 best game of all time. But I don't see a problem if they try wandering away from the comics style as long as they don't go for character realism ala Uncharted etc.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
tTwQAIE.png
Yeah this says it all. Art Direction is very important.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild needs its Majora's Mask.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not trying to be rude but this looks like shit and we need to just let it go

It was embarrassing enough with people's reactions toward Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, we don't have to keep doing this

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely disgusting. Lowest denominator garbage.

Might as well just reskin Witcher 3 with Zelda characters. That's what you really want; you don't actually want a Zelda game.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this thread needs now is an edit by the OP: "It's a forum game. We try and come up with bad art styles for game series we love!"

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah, I'd like to see a Zelda game with modern graphics tech but these Unreal demo things are disturbingly soulless. BotW's art style with the fidelity of something like RDR2 would be nice, but the obsession with a "realistic" Zelda that's been simmering for the last 20+ years is really weird. The fantasy game starring the elf boy probably doesn't need to be photoreal.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I could never do something like this myself, and the workmanship it took to build this all by themself is super impressive, but I just don't know how you could look at that video and think it is better than the already existing 3DS remake of OOT.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Those UE4 Zelda demos look awful and unpolished as hell, Nintendo would never release something so ugly.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I could never do something like this myself, and the workmanship it took to build this all by themself is super impressive, but I just don't know how you could look at that video and think it is better than the already existing 3DS remake of OOT.
Now I'd take an HD remaster of the 3DS OoT and MM games any day.

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's fun to dunk on somebody but OP clearly didn't mean "I want the next Zelda to look exactly like this" and more the overall style.
I mean I don't agree with it necessarily, but it's not as ridiculous as some here make it out to be

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
hVfYO4Y.png

If there was a bingo card for these things, completely overdone parallax displacement on textures would definitely be on there. Probably generated a height map from the diffuse that's way too detailed/granular and makes the dirt look like stalactites.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
BOTW is the perfect look for Zelda games going forward, the art style is spot on. I just want them to reduce the size of the world and make it more interesting, include dungeons etc.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Keep it in BOTW style. We know the switch can do it well (rather than a realistic style done poorly or overreaching), it ages better, it fits the ethereal tone of zelda and! More importantly they can not waste time making a new style/ engine / whatever and just make a new game in the BOTW shell.

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the appeal to that cheap and clean UE4 aesthetic but fortunately it looks like I'm not alone in that.

Anyway, I hope looking at that gross video isn't going to affect my YouTube recommendations.