• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Quick question -- do I have to beat the entire thing in one sitting?

I have the game and made it to the final boss one night, but then gave up and went to bed. When I started it the next day I had to start from scratch, I couldn't just start from the last level. Is that normal or did I do something wrong?

Yeah you can't just continue where you left off.

But if you beat a world you can play and practice it in single world mode. Single world mode is good for practicing a strategy for a stage, or just playing a level you like when you don't have so much time. But the main game has to be played in one-play through. It's a 'see how far you can get' kind of game.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I like Resogun a little more. Particularly because Housemarque gave more love to that one post-launch, and I think the visuals are slightly cleaner. Still, Nex Machina is right up there with it. But Resogun is something else, in my opinion. It's crazy how many modes and features that game has, like the ship editor and stuff like that.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Played it on PS4, pure excellence. I can not decide if Resogun, Alienation or this is their best imo. You can't go wrong with Housemarque is what I want to say.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Edit: Misspost. Accidentally posted in the wrong thread.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
This looks like just the kind of game that I will really like even though I'll never get past the second level. Thanks for the rec, will definitely pick it up.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fool for HM games, but this one eluded me so far Not anymore! Thanks OP, just bought it. Can't wait to dive in

edit - holy shit why did I wait to play this. This is beyond good

Last edited:

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
You just sold a copy here. I hadn't heard of this game but the trailer definitely makes the case it's worth $3 and some change.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I could either buy this or just download resogun again now that I'm a ps+ member again... hmmmmm

Well, they are different games. And if you bought Nex Machina you would have the option to play both. :)

Resoguns weird circular thing (don't know how to describe it) makes it play and feel very different to Nex Machina. Also since you're not saving humans in the same way (throwing them into escape things) the dynamic feels different here. Nex Machina is much more aggressive and intense, I would say. A rush to quickly save the humans in each stage, but Resogun is much more about planning and really cool big moments where you clear the whole screen.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
Everyone should play this. I think it's Housemarque's finest. It's so good that it makes me a little disappointed with the new direction they're taking but looking forward to seeing where that goes.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It is the best Housemarque game they ever did and anyone craving for some hardcore arcade shooting experience should play this asap.

also features one of the best true final bosses in a decade

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I could either buy this or just download resogun again now that I'm a ps+ member again... hmmmmm
It's possible that your license for Resogun is permanent. Something to do with the cross-buy or something. Get the Resogun season pass too, some really fun game modes in there. Well worth it, even though it never goes on sale.

This topic reminded me to check for Super Stardust Ultra. On sale for $4.93 for a few more hours. I had the original on PS3. Bought.

Nex Machina is awesome. Best twin stick since Robotron. I double dipped on Steam too.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Well, they are different games. And if you bought Nex Machina you would have the option to play both. :)

Resoguns weird circular thing (don't know how to describe it) makes it play and feel very different to Nex Machina. Also since you're not saving humans in the same way (throwing them into escape things) the dynamic feels different here. Nex Machina is much more aggressive and intense, I would say. A rush to quickly save the humans in each stage, but Resogun is much more about planning and really cool big moments where you clear the whole screen.
It's not weird. It's Defender. Nex Machina = Robotron, Super Stardust = Asteroids, Resogun = Defender, Matterfall = crap.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
edit - holy shit why did I wait to play this. This is beyond good

tenor.gif

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's not weird. It's Defender. Nex Machina = Robotron, Super Stardust = Asteroids, Resogun = Defender, Matterfall = crap.

I don't mean weird in the sense that it's unusual. I mean weird in the sense that I don't have a specific word to describe it. Defender-like maybe, but I imagine that's meaningful to very few.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Both Nex Machina and Resogun are brilliant games and among the top arcade games ever made. Can't really go wrong with either one (but always go with both; both is the right answer).

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
This is one of the best games of the generation. Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!

It makes me so sad that a game of this quality could flop. Some gamers have priorities and tastes that are out of wack.

TGM3

Oct 26, 2017
Getting a game of this quality for this price is basically robbery. If you're even slightly interested, pick it up.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, one of the best games ever made. This and Tetris Effect are the games of the generation for me

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, saw the thread and bought it apparently seconds before the sale ended in France. Thanks for the tip.

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that your license for Resogun is permanent. Something to do with the cross-buy or something. Get the Resogun season pass too, some really fun game modes in there. Well worth it, even though it never goes on sale.

This topic reminded me to check for Super Stardust Ultra. On sale for $4.93 for a few more hours. I had the original on PS3. Bought.

Nex Machina is awesome. Best twin stick since Robotron. I double dipped on Steam too.
I bought Nex Machina.

Turns out my PS+ account with the vast accumulated library is associated with a different account than I bought my latest sub for. The hassles moving countries between generations. Resogun will have to wait.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Phenomenal game, like virtually all of Housemarque's stuff. This is a downright steal.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Should be about 4 hours to go in the sale for anyone interested in picking it up. I might post back when there's one hour left but I might also be asleep by then :)

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Like others have said, it's literally a perfect game. I wish I could gift copies on PSN. Sometimes I feel like that would be the only way to convince certain friends.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
nex machina is an amazing game and the pinacle of Housemarque voxel neon electro shooter. Its crazy how it takes all the best idea and talent and design decision from their past games and made a new original game feeling like a perfect best of their past titles.

It plays wonderfuly, its fun, hard, clever, infinitly replayable and the skill/difficulty curve is just perfect