• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
A recent thread about Returnal lead me to look up the sales of House Marques previous titles, and I was disappointed to see that Nex Machina has only been played by 100,000 PS4 players. That's less than 0.1% of the total PS4 user base.

That means that most of you, probably haven't played it.

The game has 88 on metacritic, coming in as the 61st highest rated game on the PS4. A must play for fans of action games, and yet, most people simply haven't played it.

d76Rdx0.png

Well, now's a great time to play it, because it's on sale on PSN for £2.71 or $3.39.

EDIT: I believe the sale is now over. Back to the regular £15 price (still worth it but yeah)

I really just wanted to highlight this because I really love Housemarque's games in general, and Nex Machina in particular is such a delight. It's a just an unbelievably fine tuned arcade shooter, with some fantastic visuals and particle effects, alongside a soundtrack that slaps.

If you're intimidated by this style of arcade game, I would point out that this one is more accessible than others. There are a number of difficulty modes, and you're provided with a number of lives on each run. You can also play through individual stages, or the whole game at once in an arcade style run.

There's a lot of depth to figuring out how to get the best score on each stage, and finding all the humans and secret areas, but you can get as little or as much out of this side of the game as you want to. It's not especially punishing unless you're a perfectionist.

So I'd really recommend giving this one a go.

Last edited:

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I saw the conversation in the Returnal thread. Hadn't even heard of this but at that price I'll definitely get it.

Thanks OP!

strangemymind

Nov 7, 2017
Had a great time getting better at this game, but it's also one of those games that's just fantastic to fire up for 10 minutes and play a level when you want to just blast a bunch of stuff. So satisfying to play on quite a few levels.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Do it everyone, I've got it on PSN and Steam and it's so good. Really should go back to it

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Must have put 20 hours into perfecting the first stage alone. Couldn't recommend this one more, Resogun is great but this game is superb.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
It's in my basket... Need to make decisions as which games to get and not, but this is a sure thing even though I barely play these games (played few lvls of resogun)

Oct 24, 2019
Quick question -- do I have to beat the entire thing in one sitting?

I have the game and made it to the final boss one night, but then gave up and went to bed. When I started it the next day I had to start from scratch, I couldn't just start from the last level. Is that normal or did I do something wrong?

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone with original Williams arcade hardware, I miss the old housemarque.

That being said, they have had to evolve to survive.

Everyone should do themselves a favour and pick this up. It's pure arcade.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Arcade masterpiece. This game deserved more.

Watch the documentary 'Name of the Game' if you have the chance.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think these are the only types of games that I like trying to get platinum trophies in

kinda gives the game a goal and ending which normally it wouldn't have

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably their best game, which is a shame cuz it flopped and they decided to get out of the arcade style game experiences.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question -- do I have to beat the entire thing in one sitting?

I have the game and made it to the final boss one night, but then gave up and went to bed. When I started it the next day I had to start from scratch, I couldn't just start from the last level. Is that normal or did I do something wrong?

Yes, that's normal. A playthrough is around an hour long, and it's intended to be like classic arcade or arcade-like games that are played through in a single sitting.