• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
OP, I'm right there with you. I recently left my YouTube channel after over two years. I tried going down the path of EZA, and for a while it was great, but then it lost its luster. Anxiety became very real, and I couldn't enjoy games for what they were anymore. This past E3 especially was a rush to get reactions up to get more subs.

This wasn't my full time job, but it took up a lot of time. Ultimately I'm still passionate and want to make gaming content, but I need to wait for the anxiety to subside. Once it does, content will be on my own schedule and not to grab subs or income.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Clickbait and Saved You A Click are right up there alongside "Lazy Devs" as far as phrases which show their users own ignorance. It's all to easy to be a back seat expert on these things go just because you frequent forums such as this one.
Hope things are better for you now, OP.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Working in anything related to getting peoples attention on the internet must be exhausting.

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this is 100% an ego thing, but I feel like a lot of the community here is unfairly suspicious of games journalists for no other reason than the fact that they're games journalists. Simple misspellings are often highlighted and jokes are made about editorial standards. Reviewers who don't play games at a high level, or get one detail about a publisher's history wrong are openly mocked. Opinion pieces that could have been altogether ignored are instead often posted here and the author is ridiculed for their opinion.
I was one of those guys over a decade ago. Part of the reason I got into games-writing was because I selfishly believed that I could do a much better job.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"... is fucking bullshit.

If it's a job, you'll end up hating/resenting it after a while, and it won't mean as much to you as it did before.
But that's the thing that makes me nervous.
Besides my full-time job, I'm learning application dev because it actually is a lot of fun for me and I hope to land a job in that area. Does that mean that is actually just s waste of time because I will hate it anyway?

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
But that's the thing that makes me nervous.
Besides my full-time job, I'm learning application dev because it actually is a lot of fun for me and I hope to land a job in that area. Does that mean that is actually just s waste of time because I will hate it anyway?
No way dude. Every month I have payments come out from ko-fi and patreon from various artists or streamers I support. I believe that creative people, or people working unorthodox jobs, deserve some extra push.

If you truly enjoy it, don't worry about the potential burnout, just fuckin go for it. Life is too short. If you're good at it, and it gives you energy, then it's a true strength. Leverage that and lean into it while you can.