• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Edit: It looks like, at least for the time being, Newsweek has taken down the article. I have zero insight as to why, but if I were to guess, perhaps they thought it may negatively affect the morale of current staff?

Mo Mozuch explains here why he's leaving his "dream job" as the senior editor of a gaming website, and his journey largely mirrored my own.

For about two years I freelanced and hustled for seven days a week, for multiple video game websites, until finally landing a staff writing gig at ComicBook.com's (then) new gaming vertical, which now operates under the same umbrella as GameSpot at CBS. Long story short, after proving I had a great eye for news, a good voice, and some talent for management, I ended up as the managing editor. I was there for two years... Until last October, when I quit. Here's Mo:

But passion is a finite resource and hard to cultivate. Eventually "doing the thing I loved" just became "doing the thing." Lately, I've found myself increasingly jaded and cynical, two of my least favorite character traits. Review codes just looked like embargo deadlines; gameplay, forums, memes and conversations nothing more than places to mine content. I have genuine admiration for my peers who can maintain their obsessive passion under these constraints, but I struggle with it. Games started to feel different to me.

I think that, too often, people imagine video game editors and writers are sitting around in modern offices playing unreleased games, sharing memes, laughing it up, and preparing itineraries for the next big trip to E3, or Tokyo Game Show, or PAX. Sometimes work does look like that, but 99% of the time, work is staring at three different monitors gauging traffic on Google Analytics, refreshing eight different tabs looking for breaking news, editing and re-editing articles, and, of course, writing more articles. Lots of articles. SO MANY ARTICLES.

At CB, I expected my staff writers (and myself) to produce at least ten articles a day, and because of ad placements, they needed to be at least 400 words. If you think that writing about video games is easy, then you go ahead and try to knock out ten 400-word articles. Then do it again tomorrow. Then again. And again. For 40 hours a week. Every single week. Then throw in an interview that you need to transcribe, condense, and form a narrative around. Make sure the formatting and editing are just right. You might need to create a few images yourself from scratch. Triple-check those embargo notes. Don't forget you have that huge review coming up.

And so when do you actually get to play games? In your "spare time." You play games when you're at home, usually. And guess what: It doesn't take long at all for that to start feeling like work. Used to, I couldn't even crack open a beer and boot up Rocket League on a Friday night without being overcome with waves of guilt and anxiety, because I may have had one or two review games I should have been playing through instead. Even when I had the good fortune of reviewing games that I was really excited about, the excitement and anticipation were often overshadowed by my struggle to balance my normal, day-to-day workload and the time required to play a game through to completion before the review embargo lifts.

And that's the most frustrating part of it all: As a game journalist, time is never on your side. If revenue is based on serving ads and getting as many clicks as possible, then your reviews HAVE to go live the second embargo lifts, or you can kiss a huge percentage of search traffic goodbye. News articles have to be breaking, and you have to write them with SEO-informed headlines, ledes, and spacing that accommodates the current ads you're running. If you're not first to that juicy new headline, you're losing out on clicks. If you're not first to re-push those Fortnite patch notes, or generate some weekly challenge guides, you're leaving money on the table.

Now it should be said that not all websites run this way, and it's likely that not all writers and editors feel this way. As a managing editor I had unique pressure and anxiety weighing me down, but all of my writers worked incredibly hard, and ours was a work ethic that normal working human beings would never be able to sustain without a tremendous amount of passion and drive behind it all. We worked all day, and then went home and worked all night on reviews, video content, guides, or pet projects. People who came to work on my team just looking for a paycheck didn't last long at all, and ultimately, once my reserve of 'passion' dried up, I had to check out.

It was all too much. I couldn't enjoy games anymore. I couldn't look forward to hot new releases. I couldn't even look forward to my niche favorites because I knew playing through them would feel like work. Paid trips to exciting gaming events started to look like overwhelming itineraries and content plans. I started to dread major conferences and even Nintendo Directs, because I knew that the mad scramble to crank out coverage would begin just moments after the stream began.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling, but here's what I want you to take away from this:

While not every writer or editor in the industry experiences this, or feels this way, every writer and editor in this industry is working really, really fucking hard. They're taking huge risks by following their passions and their dreams, and the industry they're trying to thrive in is often cut-throat at the top, and on often toxic at the reader / consumer level. Execs demand more pageviews every quarter, and efforts to make that happen are very often misinterpreted, ridiculed, and despised by readers who, for some reason, seem to think that we're just a bunch of spoiled creatives who get free video games for life, lazily spinning clickbait and bullshit for kicks.

"Clickbait" and "saved you a click" culture is absolutely soul-crushing for these writers and editors who are just trying to live their dreams, create fantastic content, and appease their bosses. So please, Era, at least here, remember that these people are all human beings, and they're making daily sacrifices to try and create entertaining content and keep you informed. They are performing a service, and yes, forgive them, they're trying to have fun and enjoy themselves as well. God forbid, they may even express an opinion you disagree with from time to time.

We can do a lot here in our communities to alleviate their burnout by being supportive, and positive, and admiring their creativity and hard work. They're human, so they'll make mistakes, but let's try to lift them up whenever we can. It's hard work.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can very strongly empathize with just about everything in that article. Making a job out of games is soul crushing, and sucks the fun out of the hobby entirely.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Great write-up. It's something I always worry about when thinking about combining a hobby/passion and work. It can quickly ruin the thing that existed as fun in your life and then you don't feel comfortable being in either spot.

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
TL;DR: Why I you don't want to become a games journalist.
If anyone aspires to break into the industry as a writer or editor, then absolutely go for it! I just want everyone to understand that playing video games typically comprises 0-5% of an actual work day. There are so many people out there who hustle just as hard as I did (or harder), and still thrive. There are vets out there who have been doing this for over a decade.

You just have to be very careful to find your own balance, and make sure expectations between you and whoever you report to are realistic. And never, ever, EVER read the comments section.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"... is fucking bullshit.

If it's a job, you'll end up hating/resenting it after a while, and it won't mean as much to you as it did before.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Ten articles a day? jeez. I guess that's why I just read about the wonders of pink grass in No Man's Sky on Kotaku.

How much money are we talking about if you don't mind me asking.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bubble will have to burst some time. But I dont visit sites that throw their annoying Ads at my face (Auto Video too good lord). I hope things will change in the future.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this very thoughtful and articulate post. It's unfortunate how much advertisement-based profits and the internet have become intimately entrenched. Yes, it's often "click-bait", but unfortunately, unless you find alternate forms of revenue (i.e. subscriptions such as GIantBomb or Athletic), it necessarily needs to be to ensure your job's existence.

Thank you once again. As you stated, you do have a good voice.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ten articles a day? jeez. I guess that's why I just read about the wonders of pink grass in No Man's Sky on Kotaku.

Can be more than ten sometimes, most sites have quotas you have to hit. If there's no news worth reporting, then you have to write something anyway.
The money is... it's actually reasonably good, to be honest.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If anyone aspires to break into the industry as a writer or editor, then absolutely go for it! I just want everyone to understand that playing video games typically comprises 0-5% of an actual work day. There are so many people out there who hustle just as hard as I did (or harder), and still thrive. There are vets out there who have been doing this for over a decade.

You just have to be very careful to find your own balance, and make sure expectations between you and whoever you report to are realistic. And never, ever, EVER read the comments section.
I'm a managing editor too and I know all too well how you feel. I'm burned with all the work: meeting deadlines, settinng up calls and interviews, managing hundreds of article a week, keeping tabs on my writers and editors, etc. What do you do now, if you don't mind me asking? Im working all sorts of crazy hours and have no time for a life. I'm looking for other prospects and would love your insights too. We can talk via PM if you're comfortable.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is why writing about games, or worse, making games sucks imo.
Enjoying a thing isn't the same as making it your job.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Great write up, thanks for taking the time to post. As someone with interests in multiple hobbies, I'm just happy to have the kind of job that affords me the time and money to enjoy them, rather than rely on them for my actual livelihood. I would caution anyone just getting out of high school or college and trying to figure out what they want to do for a living, to realize that you don't need to make your entire life revolve around something that you enjoy. In many ways, like those presented in the OP, doing so can actually be a detriment.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, this was really insightful. I could absolutely see how this could be a particular case of turning your passion into a job turning sour on you.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, and agree, but I do think there ought to be a way to acknowledge clickbait somehow that is less soul crushing to the writers, considering it is often the execs fault, as you say.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So please, Era, at least here, remember that these people are all human beings, and they're making daily sacrifices to try and create entertaining content and keep you informed. They are performing a service, and yes, forgive them, they're trying to have fun and enjoy themselves as well. God forbid, they may even express an opinion you disagree with from time to time.
This bit hit so hard. I feel when it comes to games press and the end user, there's a huge empathetic disconnect. We tend to divide, designate and represent all press content through these faceless entities and it's through this that we sometimes forget that there are real human beings putting their blood, sweat and tears into it all.

I think when it comes to outlets like Giant Bomb and Easy Allies, the fact that they've been able to build a sort of cult of personality around them means that people who engage with their content regularly actually see them as people, y'know? Just another one of the lads. Contrast this to something like Kotaku where (usually shitty people) come out with their "koTAkU bAd!!111" takes and tend to treat all the people working there as some sort of monolithic entity when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I feel this kind of thing stretches beyond games press but encompasses the whole industry. Developers with a cult of personality are able to be seen as actual humans while an environment artist working at Bioware for example will get lumped in with the thousands of "EA BAD" takes they see online despite it all being out of their control and having nothing to do with them.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read the whole OP. Wtf did any of that have to do with Breath of the Wild???
It's the title of the article the OP posted and quoted and talked about.
Judging from the title I thought Breath of the Wild made him quit his job also.
They originally played BOTW when it came out as part of their job, then two years later played it on their own free time and realized how much more they were enjoying this game they had ostensibly already played when they got to do it on their own terms; that made them realize that they didn't want games to be their job, they wanted games to be their passion, so they quit their job.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Somebody played Breath of the Wild, waxed rhapsodic about how perfect they thought it was, decided they'd rather play games while not writing guides for them 'cause they feel burned out.

Apparently I miss read the title. When I read "Breath of the wild convinced me to quit my job" (and I quit mine, too) I thought Breath of the Wild convinced both of these guys to quit.

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017

I can't really talk about that, but you can use your imagination. We had to: pay salaries, pay rent for our office and all of that overhead, pay for flights and equipment, pay for HR / benefits / payroll services, pay for software and IT, pay for licenses to use lots of software, pay for hosting.... and then make a huge effing profit on top of it all. I'm sure I'm forgetting things as well.

Thank you for this very thoughtful and articulate post. It's unfortunate how much advertisement-based profits and the internet have become intimately entrenched. Yes, it's often "click-bait", but unfortunately, unless you find alternate forms of revenue (i.e. subscriptions such as GIantBomb or Athletic), it necessarily needs to be to ensure your job's existence.

Thank you once again. As you stated, you do have a good voice.

Hey, thanks a lot for saying that. And yeah, what we usually call clickbait isn't really even clickbait. I mean technically, clickbait is more of a bait and switch. Clicking into an article that says "Fans Mourn Death of Tom Cruise" to see that the article is talking about a character Tom Cruise plays dying in a show or movie... that's clickbait. A headline that reads "PlayStation 5 Release Date Revealed," well, just because they didn't put the date in the headline doesn't make it clickbait, it just means we didn't want to give the entire article away to a readership that hardly reads past headlines anyway -- especially if we have additional information or quotes that we want people to see in the article!

Where things get fuzzy is with the "sensational" headlines. I remember when I wrote for Cheat Code Central, I would try to write really insightful opinion pieces with titles like "Characters That Make Us Think Twice About Moral Ambiguity in Gaming," and my editor at the time would always change the headlines to read something more like "Seven Shocking Video Game Psychos You Have to See to Believe." Those are the types of headlines that more frequently get called out as "clickbait" now, and I mean, I understand why. That was an extreme, fabricated example, but that really did happen quite often back then. And it still happens today. Headlines HAVE to cater to extremely short attention spans and SEO best practices, and most of the time, that ends up looking like clickbait. Bless their hearts, though, most writers really do have great, original, creative content hiding behind those headlines. Please give them a chance.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Nice arshole first post. Kudos!
I've actually literally considered if I wanted to write for games as a job in the past and it's the idea that you'll get pushed to deadlines and consume games differently that makes me think that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it the same way. I didn't put that message tactfully, but I do get the sentiment of the story. I even mis-edited it lol.

Also, I don't wanna discourage the job to anyone, that wasn't what I wanted to say with it.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US gaming press needs to embrace the paywalls for writeups, like the economic press and some french gaming websites already do. You can't carry a website entirely free anymore.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, good for you OP. I hope you'll land (if you didn't already) in a better job. One in which you'll be properly paid and a more fulfilling one (and also hope that gaming can become a hobby for you again and not a chore).

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This really feels more like capitalism + trying to do what you "love" as a job.

A lot of jobs will beat you down with deadlines and work. I manage a small business and it's the same thing as feeling guilty about not doing reviews. There's always "something" productive you could be doing. And when you mix the oppressiveness of that capitalism with trying to do what you love it's no wonder you start to hate what you love.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
They originally played BOTW when it came out as part of their job, then two years later played it on their own free time and realized how much more they were enjoying this game they had ostensibly already played when they got to do it on their own terms; that made them realize that they didn't want games to be their job, they wanted games to be their passion, so they quit their job.

I haven't gotten to the article yet but the OP doesn't say that. He talks about Rocket League alittle but doesn't mention breath of the wild.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not easy to combine things you enjoy in a job. I work in journalism and I pretty much landed one of my dream jobs writing for a local newspaper. I love researching, reporting, writing but I could never imagine writing full-time about any of my hobbies or passions. I occasionally write about cultural stuff (especially theatre) but I find nothing more dreadful than writing reviews.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Honestly this sounds less like a problem with the profession of games journalism and more an issue of corporate structure. Assuming there's no exaggeration in the OP no one should be cranking out that much content (I create content for a living).

It irks me to hear this talked about in terms of 'hustle' and 'passion' - sounds far too much like trying to lionise a burn-out guaranteed working environment rather than challenging upwards and telling executives that if they want to drive more profits they need to review headcount.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Part of the reason I bailed on journalism was that I was being forced to play games I didn't care about in order to write about them, which inevitably led to poor criticism on my part, and simultaneously made it more difficult for me to enjoy games I did care about due to proximity to work.

I love being critical and picking things apart and exposing what makes things work and not work, but the day-in-day-out hustle of Talking About Video Games For A Living was driving me insane. By the end the only thing I wanted to do was oversee other people and edit their writing instead of doing the hustle myself.

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Anyway, good for you OP. I hope you'll land (if you didn't already) in a better job. One in which you'll be properly paid and a more fulfilling one (and also hope that gaming can become a hobby for you again and not a chore).

Thank you for the well-wishes. I did land a better job! After leaving CBS I went back to freelancing and literally made my new full-time job applying for other jobs and writing cover letters. It was dreadful. I didn't find another job for six months, and every day during that six-month period I was searching and applying and emailing and waiting. I'm glad none of it worked out, though, because I did find a fantastic new job where I make even better money, and have way more free time. And I can enjoy video games now, WOO HOO!!

I'm still in the industry, but on the other side of things. I don't really want to reveal where I work because I like maintaining at least some veil of anonymity here. I've been with GAF and era for a long time now, and while I love this community most of the time, it can also be pretty dang toxic and hateful (again, we're all humans).

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The BotW part isn't covered much in the OP but for those who want a TLDR he says that it was THE game which reminded him how loving a game to play feels like and doesnt feel like he was working. He quit because he wanted to stop being forced to play games he didn't feel that way about and restrict it to games he actually loved to play like BotW. So yeah game journalism forces you to play games you dont enjoy lots of times, which sucks honestly. I would really hate that

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
It's no wonder that the quality of games journalism is so low when journalists have so little time to play the material they review and write about it. Quantity over quality.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the well-wishes. I did land a better job! After leaving CBS I went back to freelancing and literally made my new full-time job applying for other jobs and writing cover letters. It was dreadful. I didn't find another job for six months, and every day during that six-month period I was searching and applying and emailing and waiting. I'm glad none of it worked out, though, because I did find a fantastic new job where I make even better money, and have way more free time. And I can enjoy video games now, WOO HOO!!

I'm still in the industry, but on the other side of things. I don't really want to reveal where I work because I like maintaining at least some veil of anonymity here. I've been with GAF and era for a long time now, and while I love this community most of the time, it can also be pretty dang toxic and hateful (again, we're all humans).

d96.jpg

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously?
The last offer I got was about 30+ articles a month for $150... a month.
Idk, when I finally quit it, I was making a very good amount of money doing it, and I could have asked for more (I was offered more to stay on, as a matter of fact).
I guess it does depend on what outlet you are working with, too.

May 9, 2018
The economics behind more indie journalism (not just in gaming) have shifted dramatically since a decade ago. It's easier to be a YouTuber/social media personality (and get sponsorships/affiliate revenue) than writing your own blog unless you are incredibly lucky or have content that's multiple orders-of-magnitude better than average.

Stop relying on ads and switch to a subscription model.

This, for example, is not a panacea, and subscription performance is highly variable.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah game journalism forces you to play games you dont enjoy to play lots of times, which sucks honestly. I would really hate that

I bet that's the kind of problem you can turn into an opportunity. Not interested in dating sims told from the perspective of hipster badgers? Well, SOMEONE is, even if it's just the developer, or it wouldn't have been made. Trying to understand the appeal for things you don't personally appreciate is a kind of emotional reverse engineering and could, I suspect, aid with the core of a piece.

Now, sure, you'd have to do that eight million times over the course of a career, but that's writing about showbiz.