• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
www.sfgate.com

Newsom says California could reverse reopening economy if coronavirus cases surge

California could shut down part of its economy again if the state loses control of the...

Newsom warned that troubling signs have developed since the state began gradually allowing businesses to reopen last month, including a sharp increase during the past two weeks in the number of people hospitalized with coronavirus-related problems and those needing intensive care.

Although he said some increase was expected as public life resumed and that hospitals are able to handle the patient load so far, basic steps such as practicing social distancing and complying with a statewide order to wear face masks in public are crucial to keeping the pandemic in check.

"It's your individual decision that will determine our fate and future ... to mitigate the likelihood and need that we ever have to toggle back on these stay-at-home orders," Newsom said at a news conference.

He added, "We don't intend to do that. We don't want to do that. But I want to make this clear: We are prepared to do that, if we must."

"Those increased cases are not just because of increased testing," he said.

Newsom's mask order has been widely flouted in some areas since he announced it last week, and law enforcement authorities in several counties have said they will not enforce it, saying it's a minor offense and citing the potential greater danger of confrontations escalating when police get involved.

Newsom said the state is using "moral persuasion" to encourage compliance.

YgAcTtS.png

"moral persuasion" isn't going to get us anywhere. Newsom did well in the first months of the pandemic, but this reopening has been completely bungled.

madame x

May 15, 2020
i think the biggest problem with the shutdowns in america is that there was no social safety net to make them efective. i mean, better than nothing but i question how effective newsoms new shutdown would be. he would have to do a LOT (like, a LOT a LOT) to get a good portion of california on board. and were broke.

Victoria

Banned
Jul 3, 2018
User banned (permanent): Propagating irresponsible and dangerous misinformation
This is silliness. They need to just let the virus run it's course. There's no containing this virus just like there's no containing influenza or the viruses that cause the common cold. It is now endemic.

We have plenty of hospital capacity available to treat those who have strong adverse reactions to it.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This is silliness. They need to just let the virus run it's course. There's no containing this virus just like there's no containing influenza or the viruses that cause the common cold. It is now endemic.

We have plenty of hospital capacity available to treat those who have strong adverse reactions to it.

People who end up getting hospitalized have a wide range of terrible consequences. Death isn't the only outcome here.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Oh thank god we have an epidemiologist here to explain the situation.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What are you waiting for, Newsom? Reverse it now! And make sure everyone wears masks!

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Better to let people die and overrun our hospitals with cases

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, trying to save lives is "silliness."

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

This mind set is the problem

May 21, 2018

And yet there are countries that have effectively contained the virus and are safely re-opening.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You gonna volunteer and get it first?

As you say, sacrifices are gonna have to be made. Better start with you then

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Unless we magically conjured hospital beds out of nowhere, the hospital bed occupation has been pretty consistent for months, and in fact is near its all time high now

calmatters.org

California just hit all-time high number of people hospitalized with coronavirus

California's pandemic-related hospitalizations have been climbing all week and approaching record levels, CalMatters’ hospital data tracker shows.

2iS6RM7.png

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017

That's a lot of bullshit crammed into one post.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017

You're the type of person that is silent when reports of overrun hospitals and unnecessary deaths start piling up.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm torn between being glad that you are not in charge of our national virus response and being suspicious that you actually are.

Feb 1, 2018
It's pretty clear the economy >>>> human lives, so at this point all you can do is wear an N95 in public, wash your hands, avoid crowds, and hope you don't get got until the vaccine comes out late this year or early next year.

The government should be going full manhattan project/apollo program levels of effort on getting a vaccine out ASAP. This is as much of a security threat as the space race (cold war) or WW2 was, if not more.

And then on top of the yearly flu shot you'll get a covid one and things will be "normal" until the next novel virus that fucks everything up again

Jul 18, 2018
I didn't know someone from the Tulsa rally made a Era account so fast...

Hospital capacity. Let it run its course. Yea, someone didn't either bother looking up anything, just spouted out whatever dinner table argument they had with family/friends.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
6k cases yesterday... I think as long as there's ICU capacity nobody is gonna let him shutdown anything. Health officials are getting death threats from delaying reopening already...

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
I am starting to think we would be better off without the internet for 14days..

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

No country on the planet has enough hospital capacity to weather the storm that would ensue by "letting it run its course"

We wouldn't have to lock down again if people actually wore masks and were more cautious about gatherings.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

New Zealand would like to have a word with you.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
How about the federal government giving the people another stimulus check and targeting affected business like salons etc and hooking them up instead of the corps? Nahhh let's just argue amongst ourselves about masks and opening it all up. Kinda heated since local news is helping to pit Californians against each other instead of focusing on the much larger problem

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bait

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Newsom is just speedrunning til Nov in hopes of getting Trump voted out.

He and other democratic governors are in a quandry becuase by law, states cannot print money unlike the federal government, which has been hostile to helping the states.

Only voting Trump out will give us some hope.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

I know you're already getting dogpiled, but... you do realize other countries exist, right?

China, South Korea, New Zealand. There are plenty of examples of successful containment and mitigation strategies.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia

Holy shit how is this kind of thinking still persist half a goddamn year into the pandemic.

Paraphrasing this line of thinking :
-Let people suffer and die, we can't do anything (yes you fucking can)
-Hospitals are ready and available year round (newsflash, capacity is limited and any new spike/surge will fill those up in no time)

Idiots

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting them several times over isn't gonna make then answer any faster lol.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Unless we magically conjured hospital beds out of nowhere, the hospital bed occupation has been pretty consistent for months, and in fact is near its all time high now

calmatters.org

California just hit all-time high number of people hospitalized with coronavirus

California's pandemic-related hospitalizations have been climbing all week and approaching record levels, CalMatters’ hospital data tracker shows.

2iS6RM7.png

It's actually 200 over the all times high already. The hospitalizations is yet to come. CA added over 71K in June so far, 28k the last week alone. Even a 5% hospitalization rate would bring thousands of new patients.

CA and Texas 7 days rolling avg are over 4K. The only state that was higher than that was NY, and these aren't even peak numbers yet.

Last edited:

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I know you're getting piled on already, but I will try to make this constructive to help you realize why what you are proposing is not a good thing. Heck, I just need one pic:
flu_covid_comparison_1_high_res.jpg

Let's say that is completely off and the hospitalization rate is only 10% for COVID-19. 10% of 330 million (USA population) is 33 million. The USA has a TOTAL hospital capacity of 900K beds. If we were to resume business as usual with no safety precautions and lockdowns, you're looking at a massive overload for the US healthcare system that will result in MILLIONS dead. And this is assuming it's a 10% hospitalization rate instead of the quoted 19% rate. We are F***ED if we just do nothing.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Please look into the facts and why this is not like the flu.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
When cases were surging, Newsom gave the greenlight for movie theaters to resume operations.

Dude reopens Economy without following CDC guidelines, you can't take his words seriously.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I know you're already getting dogpiled, but... you do realize other countries exist, right?

China, South Korea, New Zealand. There are plenty of examples of successful containment and mitigation strategies.
But they are not always easy to copy:
  • China counts a lot more on people listening to the government. It is a completely cultural thing, Americans don't trust their government that much. Regional lockdowns in Wuhan style are also almost completely impossible in the US.
  • New Zealand is an island nation with a tiny population. It can completely close its border and keep everyone out. Even business travel. This cannot be copied onto the US, as closing its borders completely can't be done.
  • South Korea is seeing common resurgences, but it is probably the best example, although again, it is basically an island. It is only land border is permanently closed. But yeah, probably the best strategy to follow: no lockdown, social distancing, and lots of track and tracing.

Victoria

Banned
Jul 3, 2018
People who end up getting hospitalized have a wide range of terrible consequences. Death isn't the only outcome here.

How is delaying when people contract the virus by a few months worth tanking the entire economy?

Because slowing down how fast the virus spreads isn't stopping anyone from contracting it eventually. It's just delaying when they contract it for a little while.

Better to let people die and overrun our hospitals with cases

The first time we had a shutdown the hospitals almost went bankrupt because they were so empty. In my city we had hospitals laying off a big chunk of their staff because they ended up so below their capacity. In the U.S. we never came close to the hospitals reaching their capacity.

Yeah, trying to save lives is "silliness."

How many lives are you saving by pushing countless people to economic ruin greatly spiking the suicide rate, homelessness, alcholism, etc. just so you can delay the death of the people who would die from this virus by a few months? It's already been established the virus isn't going away.

You gonna volunteer and get it first?

As you say, sacrifices are gonna have to be made. Better start with you then

I have volunteered. I've been going out and participating in society instead of hiding away in a bunker. I'll catch the virus just like I've caught the various other endemic viruses at some point in my life. Because there is no avoiding a virus as contagious as this. You will catch it eventually just by leaving the house.

You're the type of person that is silent when reports of overrun hospitals and unnecessary deaths start piling up.

I'm the type of person who saw those reports out of Italy back in February and stocked up on supplies including a P100 respirator and filters in anticipation of this virus hitting the United States hard. I'd been observing the situation since January and getting ready for things to get out of hand here while everyone else was acting like everything was going to be normal and it would stay isolated to China. Based on China's reaction and Italy's capacity problems back in February I treated the virus as a something sandwich but now that we have more data available it's more of a nothingburger after all. I probably treated this virus more seriously than anyone participating in this topic.

After evaluating the data from antibody testing and what happened when we completely locked everything down in March/April I've come to the conclusion that this virus is not as serious as was first projected. The true mortality rate is below 0.3%; it's a few tenths of a percentage higher than influenza. This virus was scary at first because it was packaged as "SARS 2" with a 2-3% mortality rate but now that the antibody data has come out of Iceland, New York and other places we know the true mortality rate is a lot lower than we thought at first.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
How is delaying when people contract the virus by a few months worth tanking the entire economy?

Because slowing down how fast the virus spreads isn't stopping anyone from contracting it eventually. It's just delaying when they contract it for a little while.

The first time we had a shutdown the hospitals almost went bankrupt because they were so empty. In my city we had hospitals laying off a big chunk of their staff because they ended up so below their capacity. In the U.S. we never came close to the hospitals reaching their capacity.

How many lives are you saving by pushing countless people to economic ruin greatly spiking the suicide rate, homelessness, alcholism, etc. just so you can delay the death of the people who would die from this virus by a few months? It's already been established the virus isn't going away.

I have volunteered. I've been going out and participating in society instead of hiding away in a bunker. I'll catch the virus just like I've caught the various other endemic viruses at some point in my life. Because there is no avoiding a virus as contagious as this. You will catch it eventually just by leaving the house.

I'm the type of person who saw those reports out of Italy back in February and stocked up on supplies including a P100 respirator and filters in anticipation of this virus hitting the United States hard. I'd been observing the situation since January and getting ready for things to get out of hand here while everyone else was acting like everything was going to be normal and it would stay isolated to China. Based on China's reaction and Italy's capacity problems back in February I treated the virus as a something sandwich but now that we have more data available it's more of a nothingburger after all. I probably treated this virus more seriously than anyone participating in this topic.

After evaluating the data from antibody testing and what happened when we completely locked everything down in March/April I've come to the conclusion that this virus is not as serious as was first projected. The true mortality rate is below 0.3%; it's a few tenths of a percentage higher than influenza. This virus was scary at first because it was packaged as "SARS 2" with a 2-3% mortality rate but now that the antibody data has come out of Iceland, New York and other places we know the true mortality rate is a lot lower than we thought at first.

The point of delaying is that you want to reduce the strain on hospital occupancy. See what I posted above:

2iS6RM7.png

also, I'm sorry, but California isn't Milwaukee.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Calculating on European results of antibodies, I still come out at 1.2% as a mortality rate, not 0.3%. The selection of people you test for antibodies has to be random.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
But they are not always easy to copy:
  • China counts a lot more on people listening to the government. It is a completely cultural thing, Americans don't trust their government that much. Regional lockdowns in Wuhan style are also almost completely impossible in the US.
  • New Zealand is an island nation with a tiny population. It can completely close its border and keep everyone out. Even business travel. This cannot be copied onto the US, as closing its borders completely can't be done.
  • South Korea is seeing common resurgences, but it is probably the best example, although again, it is basically an island. It is only land border is permanently closed. But yeah, probably the best strategy to follow: no lockdown, social distancing, and lots of track and tracing.

That's fair, though even within the spectrum of countries with less-successful efforts you can see clear differences between neighbors: Canada vs. America, Germany vs. Belgium, etc. It's pretty easy to track how even modest efforts directly translate into a significantly lower mortality rate compared to the hands-in-the-air solution.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I've always said they needed to quarantine/ reopen at the end or middle of August
People are going to travel and things are already worse here

4th of July will be a big one too, lots of bbqs and shit

Just make masks mandatory everywhere and you can start the process of limiting it

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair, though even within the spectrum of countries with less-successful efforts you can see clear differences between neighbors: Canada vs. America, Germany vs. Belgium, etc. It's pretty easy to track how even modest efforts directly translate into a significantly lower mortality rate compared to the hands-in-the-air solution.
That assumes the heavier hit countries had less stringent measures: compare Belgium and Germany in terms of lockdown, rules, ... and you'll see the rules in Germany were are a lot less severe, a lot more let's keep the economy open than the ones in Belgium.