• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Reading the article, it seems like the cop followed whatever protocol Boulder PD has. Instead of listening to the officers commands, the dude refused to put down the grabber. He's lucky he wasn't shot to death.
"The report released with the video said Smyly had no authority to detain Atkinson or probable cause to charge him with any crime and should have left once Atkinson provided his name, address and his reason for being there."

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
"The report released with the video said Smyly had no authority to detain Atkinson or probable cause to charge him with any crime and should have left once Atkinson provided his name, address and his reason for being there."

So in this situation, I wonder what the right thing is to do.

1) Keep refusing, stating your rights-- risk getting shot/tazed?
2) Keep refusing, and demand to talk to your lawyer before this continues?
3) Leave, and... can you sue the police department for this?

Starting to think that some people should start carrying those rear view cameras in their pockets every time they step outside so 1 vs 1 situations can be documented and legal action can be taken against the cops.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Smyly requested backup, indicating the subject was being uncooperative and was unwilling to put down a blunt object, and eight other officers and a supervisor responded."

Christ. 9 motherfucking additional goons showed up to apprehend a man wielding a litter picker. If I ever have the misfortune to be harangued by a cop I'll just treat it like I'm being shaken down by the mob. Kiss the ring and hopefully get out alive.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
User Banned(3 days): Thread whining and driveby post and history of infractions
Why are we keep making these threads? it happens daily in that country, not a surprised for anyone...

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article, it seems like the cop followed whatever protocol Boulder PD has. Instead of listening to the officers commands, the dude refused to put down the grabber. He's lucky he wasn't shot to death.

"The cop was just following orders" oh wait he wasn't even doing that.

Your mindset is what empowers the police to murder.

But given your history it sounds like you identify with Blue Lives.

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The guy did a good job clearly stating what was happening for the body camera in case things took a turn for the worse but it's an unbelievably sad/infuriating situation that this is what it has come to.

Yeah but maybe too much? Like I don't pretend to know how I would react in that situation and the student is clearly in the right the whole time but I feel like at some point you gotta comply or else you are putting yourself too in risk.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
how many fucking times... fuck these racist-ass cops

if only we could all badly fuck up at our jobs and get rewarded for it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Around 8:20 a.m., he saw Zayd Atkinson, 26, of Boulder outside a building. After noticing a "Private Property" sign near where the man was sitting, Smyly asked if he lived there. Atkinson, who was holding a trash grabber and bucket, said he did. When Smyly asked for his unit number, Atkinson said, "I don't think I actually have to tell you that." He provided his school ID, which read that he studied at Naropa University.

Smyly insisted on confirming he did in fact live at the building, and when Atkinson walked away and continued picking up trash around the property, he followed from a distance. He repeatedly asked Atkinson to sit down and told him that he was obstructing a police officer by walking away. Atkinson continued to respond that he lived in the building.

Yep, sounds about right. If you're black and and officer comes up to you, they've already arrested you in their minds, and there's almost no way to get out of it even if you're following the law and exercising your rights.

"Get out of this area because I believe you don't live here"

"k"

"ZOMG WHY ARE YOU LEAVING OBSTRUCTION!1111"

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Reading your comment, it seems like the gun you carry for your job has twisted whatever kind of critical thinking skills you have. Instead of comprehending how racist and authoritative it is for this man to be single out for literally no reason, you sided with your brethren in arms. He's lucky he wasn't shot to death considering how the cops were on a crusade of a power trip.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another day in America, couldn't pay me enough money to live over there

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

So you ever coming back to defend this shit post, or is it a drive by?

I think we all know the answer to that, but I wanna know more about your feelings on a trash grabber being a weapon. Should it be banned? Have background checks for it? Tell me more.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The police should change their motto from "protect and serve" to "harass and execute".

32c7e8013a5ac03e7c22a377ad276d15.jpg

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are we keep making these threads? it happens daily in that country, not a surprised for anyone...
To do all we can to make white America even a tiny little sliver uncomfortable. We have to live with this everyday of our lives. So we gonna make sure you and everyone else have to keep it front of mind.

BankaiZaraki

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Rationalizing racism
A trash grabber is still considered a weapon. It can cause great bodily harm if someone decides to swing at someone above the shoulder. The guy made himself suspicious by not providing his unit number. I would've detained him too. Y'all make it about race 9 times out of 10 with police officers and every time there is a thread about something it's aLl CoPs R BaD when they're not. Now I'm the first to admit there are a lot of bad apples scattered across the U.S who only join because they love the power. Those people should not be police officers. Also, I'll admit when a police officer messed up. But in this case, the cop acted justly in my opinion and I stand by it.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A trash grabber is still considered a weapon. It can cause great bodily harm if someone decides to swing at someone above the shoulder. The guy made himself suspicious by not providing his unit number. I would've detained him too. Y'all make it about race 9 times out of 10 with police officers and every time there is a thread about something it's aLl CoPs R BaD when they're not. Now I'm the first to admit there are a lot of bad apples scattered across the U.S who only join because they love the power. Those people should not be police officers. Also, I'll admit when a police officer messed up. But in this case, the cop acted justly in my opinion and I stand by it.

You honestly think a reasonable reaction for a trained police officer who encounters a man holding a trash grabber, who is also standing at least 15 feet away from said person, is to pull out their gun? Then call for back up and surround this singular person with 8 other officers, one of whom is holding a shotgun?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The guy made himself suspicious by not providing his unit number.
Fuck outta here with this, you don't have to give a cop your address just because they feel like harassing you.

I would've detained him too.
Congratulations on being an oppressor. Read up on the United States Constitution. Or is that not allowed behind the blue line?

Y'all make it about race 9 times out of 10 with police officers and every time there is a thread about something it's aLl CoPs R BaD when they're not.
You just admitted to wanting to detain people for exercising their right not to say shit to you. If you're an example, then yeah all cops are shit.

Now I'm the first to admit there are a lot of bad apples scattered across the U.S who only join because they love the power.
Remember, the phrase is "a few bad apples spoil the bunch, " not "a few bad apples mean there's nothing wrong so stop criticizing the apples."

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you're posting from the US then I don't know how you can extricate race from it. It's built into the fabric of the institutions, the subject matter and the systems. That's not the same as stating the cop is racist but it's impossible to remove race from the calculation or the conversation and I am not sure why you'd want to.

By all means Make a case that race played no part in the encounter but it doesn't make the background go away. And you identified yourself as a white armed security officer in another thread without being asked, so the idea that you aren't at least thinking about race as part of your job is false on its face.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's amazing how racist you are and you'll respond to me saying you're not.

Your response is emblematic of a trash person. I hope you're never in a position of power or authority because you'd be a danger to me and mines.

Edit: And yes, fuck ALL cops. All of them. Every. Single. One.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf? The police dept even said he was wrong. The officer had no reason to even bother this guy. You know if it was a white man standing on "private property" the officer would have wished him a good day.

It was all bullshit. This is literally the shoot a black man playbook.

Step 1: Find something you possibly could say is a crime but is bullshit to anger the person.

Step 2: When subject is angered over bullshit, draw weapon out of fear.

Step 3: Arrest for BS from the start as well as resisting PO orders. If subject is still angry and not allowing arrest, see step 4.

Step 4: Once the subject makes any movement towards the officer, fire away.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

What a bootlicker.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I guess you know better than the police department then that even found that his actions were not justified.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
When people ask why do some white people fear black people so much remember this study:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate....peed-pain-tolerance-and-the-magical-negro.amp

Adam Waytz of Northwestern University and Kelly Marie Hoffman and Sophie Trawalter of the University of Virginia report the results of several studies on this subject in an upcoming issue of Social Psychological and Personality Science. In one experiment, white Internet users were shown a white face and a black face and asked to decide:

1) Which person "is more likely to have superhuman skin that is thick enough that it can withstand the pain of burning hot coals?"

2) Which person "is more capable of using their supernatural powers to suppress hunger and thirst?"

3) Which person "is more capable of using supernatural powers to read a person's mind by touching the person's head?"

4) Which person "is more capable of surviving a fall from an airplane without breaking a bone through the use of supernatural powers?"

5) Which person "has supernatural quickness that makes them capable of running faster than a fighter jet?"

Blacks were selected 63.5 percent of the time, significantly more than whites. The only two items that did not differ significantly were the ones about reading minds (52 percent blacks) and falling from a plane (54 percent).

Some white people think black people are literal superhumans and wizards.

Nov 1, 2017
I used to live in Boulder years ago. I once witnessed at least four cop cars show up because some poor guy had parked his car with the rear end poking maybe six or seven inches into a "no parking" zone.

Guess what color he was.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People like this should absolutely not be allowed back on Era.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
As part of his resignation agreement, Smyly will officially end his employment with Boulder on Feb. 9, 2020 after using his accrued floating holiday leave, sick and permitted administrative leave.
8 month paid vacation

He'll just find work in Denver.

This is fucking grotesque.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this even though the cops supervisor said the encounter shouldn't have gone past him saying he lived there and explaining what he was doing.

Also, if you watch the video the cop knew he messed up at the end when there supervisor said they were about to leave and the cop kids like but,but, bu...i don't have all his information!

This should be a perm because if it were excusing homophobia or transphobia it would be. Why should racism get a second chance?

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Of course a cop would feel threatened by someone holding an item that is designed to effectively remove rotten trash from the streets. This is the one time where I buy into the whole "I feared for my life" defence.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Asshole double downed. Incredible.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
oy aussie you don't get to ask that question, mayte.

just because you're isolated on your deadly creature infested isle so you don't have to worry about things like this don't act like you don't have your part of the issue.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Miss me with all this BS you typed.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im brown and i got stared at so many places in Colorado

also cops are such cowards lmao

They're not cowards at all. The whole "I'm threatened" thing is a bullshit excuse for them to shoot someone. They're given loaded guns and told not to use them, so of course they're going to make any excuse they can to get to.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Everything that happened after the officer "saw" him is 100% wrong on the officers part. He shouldn't have asked him anything about whether the man lived there or not. If he wanted to thank him for cleaning up, or say hi, have a good day, good morning sir, that would have been ok, sure.

That member that was banned, I really hope they aren't an officer for real.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And I'm now reminded why I'm always too uncomfortable to enjoy Brooklyn 99 as a TV show. Anything glorifying American police kinda glossed over this shit every single time.

To be fair I think there was an episode were Terry was racially discriminated against but it's just kinda glossed over as it's primarily a comedy show.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
No such thing as a good cop.

This is how you turn people against you. That dude probably didn't even care about cops before this incident (this is assuming this has never happened to him before). What's baffling is how they keep getting away with it, but something tells me things are gonna change soon and they're gonna regret it.