• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Boulder officer resigns, video released of encounter with man picking up trash

Around 8:20 a.m., he saw Zayd Atkinson, 26, of Boulder outside a building. After noticing a "Private Property" sign near where the man was sitting, Smyly asked if he lived there. Atkinson, who was holding a trash grabber and bucket, said he did. When Smyly asked for his unit number, Atkinson said, "I don't think I actually have to tell you that." He provided his school ID, which read that he studied at Naropa University.

As Smyly explained that Atkinson was being detained so he could verify his address, he also asked that Atkinson put down the trash grabber.

"Sit down… You have a dangerous object in your hand," Smyly is heard saying in body camera footage.

"I have a dangerous object? I'm picking up trash," Atkinson responded.

Smyly again asked Atkinson to sit down and said he was being detained. At this point, Smyly had his Taser in his hand.

"Your hand is on your weapon and you're gonna shoot me?" Atkinson said. "That's what you're gonna do, officer? You're gonna shoot me on this property for picking up trash? That's what you're going to do, officer?"

At one point, Atkinson raised his voice and Smyly reported that "he felt threatened by the trash grabber and drew his Taser and later transitioned to his handgun. Both weapons were pointed in a downward direction in front of the officer," according to the report. Smyly would later say he drew his handgun because Atkinson was wearing a heavy coat and he didn't know if it would be effective.

"That's a gun," Atkinson said, according to the body camera footage. "I'm picking up trash. I'm picking up trash and you're holding a gun."I'm

He asked if Smyly would shoot him if he didn't put the trash grabber down.

"If you use that weapon against me then yes, that is a consideration," Smyly responded.

Boulder police jumpy af. WATCH OUT MEN HE'S BLACK GOT A TRASH GRABBER!

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
So tired of racist cops every day. People can't even live normal lives without being treated like dirt and white America won't care a bit.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't I hear about this a couple months ago?

Edit: Oh, this is the police cam footage. I almost thought those thugs struck again.

Aug 1, 2018
Got like 10 cops out there ready to go to war against a man with a trash grabber. Jesus christ.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not just cops, it's white cops and it's not just white cops, its the subset in large that seem to be easily scared. Scared of black kids, scared of black women, scared of immigrants, scared of arabs, etc.

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm just happy this man isn't dead. That's...some kinda progress right?

...sigh

Dec 24, 2017
This is my imagination the Boulder police officer's thought process:

"Hmm...I see...a black man. Okay, John you can do this. Do I radio for back up? No. It's just one guy. Wait, what is he doing? Is he stealing things that careless Boulderites might have accidentally left on the ground? No sir, that is not why I put on a gun everyday and protect the city of Boulder. NIMBY isn't just the unofficial town motto, it's our way of life. Not in my backyard today!

Ok. He's black. And young. But not young enough. But he's not old. And he's skinny. So that rules out, Buffaloes football player, Buffaloes basketball player, there are no black athletes on the ski team or the cross country team. Maybe the track team? Maybe he's a graduate assistant for one of the teams? I can't think of any other reason a black man would be in Boulder.

He must be a criminal."

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
so they charge up at this dude like they're big damn heroes, then when they're 5 feet away from him, they act like they've startled a moose.

these head-ass coppers man. what can people do.

BankaiZaraki

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading the article, it seems like the cop followed whatever protocol Boulder PD has. Instead of listening to the officers commands, the dude refused to put down the grabber. He's lucky he wasn't shot to death.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
This is my imagination the Boulder police officer's thought process:

"Hmm...I see...a black man. Okay, John you can do this. Do I radio for back up? No. It's just one guy. Wait, what is he doing? Is he stealing things that careless Boulderites might have accidentally left on the ground? No sir, that is not why I put on a gun everyday and protect the city of Boulder. NIMBY isn't just the unofficial town motto, it's our way of life. Not in my backyard today!

Ok. He's black. And young. But not young enough. But he's not old. And he's skinny. So that rules out, Buffaloes football player, Buffaloes basketball player, there are no black athletes on the ski team or the cross country team. Maybe the track team? Maybe he's a graduate assistant for one of the teams? I can't think of any other reason a black man would be in Boulder.

He must be a criminal."
You are drastically overcomplicating things.

"I'm bored. Wait, is that a black guy? Guess I'll harass him since I ain't got shit to do."

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article, it seems like the cop followed whatever protocol Boulder PD has. Instead of listening to the officers commands, the dude refused to put down the grabber. He's lucky he wasn't shot to death.
he was probably afraid to make any sudden movements. dropping a metal tool on the ground might seem aggressive to the officer and then he would shoot and taze the dude at the same damn time.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not just cops, it's white cops and it's not just white cops, its the subset in large that seem to be easily scared. Scared of black kids, scared of black women, scared of immigrants, scared of arabs, etc.
It's always funny to me that the so called superior race is soooo afraid of the people they deem inferior to them

Dec 24, 2017

My roommate and I were shooting a compound bow and a crossbow into a target we set up in the front yard of our apartment when I attended Colorado. The target was up against a backdrop of pallets and a fence.

Cops roll up. I have a bolt in the crossbow. My roommate is holding onto the bow.

They radio something. Get out of the car.

"Hey guys, you can't do that out here."

"Oh, okay."

"Before you bring it inside, can I try the crossbow?"

"Sure."

I guess we were just two non-black rascals with lethal projectile weapons having shenanigans.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't need to see the video to know what happens. This is so infuriating and depressing. Why can't cops just leave black people alone?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's definitely he lucky he wasn't shot to death for the crime of cleaning up his own yard.

Oct 27, 2017

And you don't see what is sad about that? Dude was literally picking up trash and you're saying it's his fault?

Not the cop that racially profiled him? Not the cop that escalated the situation for no reason to the point of pullling out a deadly weapon? Not the cop that uttered the pathetic cowardly bitch ass words, " I feel threatened," hundreds if not thousands of cops have used for shooting unarmed people?

Ya, but it's the dude picking up trashes fault for not getting on his knees and begging for his life to this cop.

This ain't the slave days when cops were meant to round up runaway slaves.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure the cop lost his job over this incident because he followed protocol. Sure.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The guy did a good job clearly stating what was happening for the body camera in case things took a turn for the worse but it's an unbelievably sad/infuriating situation that this is what it has come to.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Why do these cops keep putting themselves in these 'dangerous situations' where they 'fear for their lives'? If you're afraid you're going to die every time you approach a black person doing anything maybe don't be a fucking cop?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The two policies he was in violation of were, as described in the executive summary, as follows:
· Department rule 5 (Police authority and public trust): Members are entrusted to effectively, helpfully, and non-abusively use the authority and public trust vested in them.
· Department rule 8 (Conduct): Members use reasonable judgment and refrain from conduct which reflects unfavorably on the department.
Smyly resigned on May 15, before the conclusion of the disciplinary process. The findings likely would have resulted in suspension or possible termination, according to the department.
As part of his resignation agreement, Smyly will officially end his employment with Boulder on Feb. 9, 2020 after using his accrued floating holiday leave, sick and permitted administrative leave. He is not allowed to be reinstated to the Boulder Police Department.

Bounce to a different PD?

giphyu3j1c.gif

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The two policies he was in violation of were, as described in the executive summary, as follows:
· Department rule 5 (Police authority and public trust): Members are entrusted to effectively, helpfully, and non-abusively use the authority and public trust vested in them.
· Department rule 8 (Conduct): Members use reasonable judgment and refrain from conduct which reflects unfavorably on the department.
Smyly resigned on May 15, before the conclusion of the disciplinary process. The findings likely would have resulted in suspension or possible termination, according to the department.
As part of his resignation agreement, Smyly will officially end his employment with Boulder on Feb. 9, 2020 after using his accrued floating holiday leave, sick and permitted administrative leave. He is not allowed to be reinstated to the Boulder Police Department.

Bounce to a different PD?
He's getting prorated $80k yearly salary until Feb 9, 2020 to do nothing. Then he bounces.

And since he resigned before being officially disciplined or fired. His record is clean.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017

Do you have vision problems? or did you just skim the article and came up with a conclusion to fit what ever narrative your mind created? Seriously though you couldn't be more transparent even if you were a window.

Class 1 Professional Standards investigation for alleged violation of:

Department Rule 5: Police Authority and Public Trust - Members are entrusted to effectively, helpfully, and non-abusively use the authority and public trust vested in them. Members do not take any police action which they know, or reasonably should know, is not in accordance with the law, and always use their position and credentials appropriately. Members appropriately utilize city equipment, resources, and public monies.

Department Rule 8: Conduct - Members use reasonable judgment and refrain from conduct which reflects unfavorably on the department. This type of conduct includes that which: a) causes embarrassment to the department or its members, or compromises the department's reputation; b) reflects discredit upon the individual as a member of the department; or c) tends to impair the operation, effectiveness, credibility, or efficiency of the department or its members.

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a cop stopping you and asking you to prove you live on your own property/apartment for picking up trash or mowing your lawn...isn't that fucking stupid? Why is he getting commands for that?

Edit: oh wait, you stated your profession as "armed white security officer" with an emphasis on your race and your gun...instead of...you know...just.."security officer" as any other normal person would say.

It makes sense now. I guess you're just a piece of shit

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It all makes sense now...

They really need to train and, I don't know, have a big test to see who get to wield weapons and who get to become a police officer. These guys should be able to deescalate not instigate and shoot people.

Since when do cops have absolute authority over everybody else?
Picture this. Late at night, a cop gets you to open your door and accuse you of breaking into their house. (BLAM BLAM BLAM) Now you're dying and the cop calls you buddy. If only you did something to prevent this.