• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Already being discussed in the sell out topic, but I think it warrants a new thread.

deadline.com

WarnerMedia’s Jason Kilar On New Structure, Layoffs & Future Of HBO Max, Theatrical Distribution & Linear TV

WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar shook up the top ranks at the AT&T-owned media company today, consolidating all film, TV and streaming content under Warner Bros.’ Ann Sarnoff. The sweeping restructuring includes expanded responsibilities for HBO Max’s Andy Forssell and HBO’s Casey Bloys and the exit...

Talking about global expansion and investment he said this.

"I think their ceiling is so high, and I'm very, very much a believer in news and information around the globe," he said. "And frankly, we have the best brand in the world in CNN when we look at website traffic and the power of the brand. Also, we have a very strong interactive team of about 2,000 software developers that tell interactive stories; the opportunity to go global with that is very, very big as well."

Maybe they reconsidered due to the COVID world where video games engagement thrives, doesn't sound like they want to get rid of it.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... reads more to me like a pitch to buyers. But in any case I hope they keep them

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
AKA no one is willing to meet our asking price/valuation. So we will sit tight.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that is the case. Enough with the consolidations already.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Good.

We need more publishers, not less.

WB Interactive with Harry Potter RPG, Back 4 Blood, IOI New IP, Cyberpunk publishing, Batman Gotham Nights, Lego series, Suicide Squad, NRS fighting games and Monolith new IP is going to make some good money in the upcoming 2-4 years.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe, but isn't it AT&T that is rumored to want to sell it off? Wouldn't be surprised if Warner themselves want to keep it around but I doubt they get final say.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think Disney made a mistake selling their gaming division personally. Look at their struggles today. Too much reliance on parks and movies.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Good. None of the rumored companies sounded good. Publishers should stay independent if they can.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good news if they plan to keep the gaming division, but that quote doesn't really mean they don't want to sell.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
For all that is holy, I hope that Harry Potter, Batman, or Suicide Squad are right around the corner and WB/AT&T get good enough results to reconsider

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
They determined they weren't good at it and feel comfortable licensing their IPs. That's where the real value is in anyhow.
Yeah, I remembered, and a pandemic was a pretty big white swan*, but the perfect one to affect all of Disney's key businesses.

*Not a black swan since we knew a pandemic was coming for a long time. No one prepared.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Hope they do stick with them.

I think Disney made a mistake selling their gaming division personally. Look at their struggles today. Too much reliance on parks and movies.
This makes me wonder if they are kicking themselves in the butt for not growing their game development studios, considering how much revenue gaming has taken in during the pandemic.

Specially considering some of the franchises they licensed have been mismanaged for the most part.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'm all for the path that keeps the jobs of the maximum amount of people, and this is it.

Warner Brothers Games was always a rough sell anyways since it was just a lot of developers and very little IP.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

We need more publishers, not less.

WB Interactive with Harry Potter RPG, Back 4 Blood, IOI New IP, Cyberpunk publishing, Batman Gotham Nights, Lego series, Suicide Squad, NRS fighting games and Monolith new IP is going to make some good money in the upcoming 2-4 years.
The games have always sold, but the debt keeps growing.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remembered, and a pandemic was a pretty big white swan*, but the perfect one to affect all of Disney's key businesses.

*Not a black swan since we knew a pandemic was coming for a long time. No one prepared.

Also, we tend to ignore the struggles/delays during the development cycle. It's been a minute since Rocksteady released a game.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
lxud_giphy_(1).gif

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Also, we tend to ignore the struggles/delays during the development cycle. It's been a minute since Rocksteady has released a game.
I personally think should've downsized, not completely get out of gaming. Gaming is a big growth sector overall.

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure this is referring to WB Games? Seems like the context is around CNN. Interactive stories can also mean interactive news stories in a browser. Is WB Games even under WarnerMedia?

Edit: Looks like WB Games does fall under WarnerMedia

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
There is absolutely no such indication.

He's hyping the division; it could be meaningless.. or literally COULD indicate the opposite of what you are thinking. He could be selling the brand to perspective buyers.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't get that after reading it but I'd prefer that anyway. The only buyers I'd even be okay with are MS or Sony and it wasn't likely to be them anyway.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think should've downsized, not completely get out of gaming. Gaming is a big growth sector overall.

Agreed in part but it seems to me that modern Disney prefers to acquire successful businesses if they want to enter a sector they lack expertise in. If they thought gaming was lucrative, they could acquire any third party publisher including EA and Activision.

Jul 26, 2018
I know most people will scoff at the notion, but the best case scenario for them being purchased is Activision. Activision gets a bad wrap but they've really upped their game this gen and are a no-frills "here's what people want and we're gonna give it to them" company.

CoD is huge right now.
Spyro and Crash revivals are financial and critical hits.
Sekiro was a game we'd NEVER thought would come from them.
Tony Hawk looking to return to form.

They're on a hot streak and I honestly think Netherealm, RS Monolith and WBM would thrive under them.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I know most people will scoff at the notion, but the best case scenario for them being purchased is Activision. Activision gets a bad wrap but they've really upped their game this gen and are a no-frills "here's what people want and we're gonna give it to them" company.

CoD is huge right now.
Spyro and Crash revivals are financial and critical hits.
Sekiro was a game we'd NEVER thought would come from them.
Tony Hawk looking to return to form.

They're on a hot streak and I honestly think Netherealm, RS Monolith and WBM would thrive under them.

They also laid of 800 people just as they announced record profits and their exec got massive bonuses. They may publish large-selling video games, but as a company they are gross.

WB staying put is probably the best case.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
As I mentioned in the other thread when I bumped it AT&T were also considering selling CrunchyRoll but when Kilar came in to take over WarnerMedia he said that he wanted to keep the platform as it formed part of his expansion plans. It's entirely possible that the same is true of WB Games.

I'm all for the path that keeps the jobs of the maximum amount of people, and this is it.

Warner Brothers Games was always a rough sell anyways since it was just a lot of developers and very little IP.

Yup. Any possible M&A deal starts to get overly complicated when you're potentially offering Netherrealm Studios and Rocksteady for sale at a premium but not the IPs that they are most famous for.

There is absolutely no such indication.

He's hyping the division; it could be meaningless.. or literally COULD indicate the opposite of what you are thinking. He could be selling the brand to perspective buyers.

You do understand WarnerMedia isn't just Jason Kilar and an intern working out of a PortaCabin? He's the head of the company, he wouldn't be selling anything himself and he certainly wouldn't be doing a sales pitch in an interview in Deadline where's he talking about the direction he's taking the company. AT&T hired a third party company to sell if there were any potential buyers out there, it wasn't WarnerMedia themselves.

Can I say definitively that they won't sell the WB Games division? No. But all we can go on is his own words in this interview and it seems like he has plans for the division.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Reading the quote, it doesn't sound like they aren't willing to sell..maybe just that the IP would be included.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You do understand WarnerMedia isn't just Jason Kilar and an intern working out of a PortaCabin? He's the head of the company, he wouldn't be selling anything himself and he certainly wouldn't be doing a sales pitch in an interview in Deadline where's he talking about the direction he's taking the company. AT&T hired a third party company to sell if there were any potential buyers out there, it wasn't WarnerMedia themselves.

Can I say definitively that they won't sell the WB Games division? No. But all we can go on is his own words in this interview and it seems like he has plans for the division.
You understand I wasn't being literal and suggesting he was using the magazine to literally give a sales pitch for the company, and literally use it as a literal avenue for literal sales?

And if you want to take statements so literally. Notice how he actually doesn't say he wants to take it global, or that there are plans to take it global? He says "the opportunity to go global". Now, I'm not even suggesting you should read too much into the wording.. but he actually doesn't say they have plans to do that.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope it stays the way it is. We need more competition not less, and more multiplatform games.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
When we heard the licenses aren't even guaranteed I expected as much, no one is paying that much just for the studios and maybe some of the licenses and Midway I.Ps that aren't MK. Be for the best if so.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Best case scenario is if they keep it and give it the justice it deserves.

No lost jobs with the publishing sector, and those great studios continue to deliver good games.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say that's definitive on the selling one way or the other, but staying as is would be the preferred option. No job losses and selfishly I'm not sure I'd personally like the influence three of the four supposed bidders (EA, Acti and 2K) might have on any future games.