• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I think people here dont realize that anti cheat is basically in most multiplayer games and works the same damn way. This is a non story. Only cause it has the name "denuvo" people are getting up in arms about it for no goddamned reason. With pc and its open architecture you need some sort of way of preventing cheaters.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's already specified in the linked blog posts by Denuvo themselves that it communicates with an AWS server to compare anti cheat heuristics (communication only becomes active when you go into multiplayer itself)

That shouldn't need hosting server.
It should be connecting to a server.

I think people here dont realize that anti cheat is basically in most multiplayer games and works the same damn way. This is a non story. Only cause it has the name "denuvo" people are getting up in arms about it for no goddamned reason. With pc and its open architecture you need some sort of way of preventing cheaters.

This is single player game. Presumable those who bought it are also OK with Denvumo DRM because this launched with it.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This kernel driver anticheat stuff needs to fucking stop. Microsoft should nip this in the bud. This is such a fucking huge security problem.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, it's because of the kernel mode driver. The name Denuvo doesn't mean anything. I'd be even more irate if it was Vamguard's anti cheat or Black Desert Online's which are even more disasterous.

The DRM is shit but IMO it doesn't damage your system security, so I can tolerate it.

maybe you're ok with virii and hackers stealing your data if you think this is a non story, but it is factually a matter of concern. Some people really don't care, that's their choice. But this discussion is very important.

Plainly put, Denuvo isn't good enough at security to be trusting your personal computer to their competence.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
vvtvere27uy41.png

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This kernel driver anticheat stuff needs to fucking stop. Microsoft should nip this in the bud. This is such a fucking huge security problem.

Microsoft was working on an anti-cheat system for Windows 10, the problem according to this article was it was being developed for UWP games which developers have largely ignored developing for so Microsoft stopped working on their anti-cheat system:

www.theverge.com

The world’s biggest PC games are fighting a new surge of cheaters and hackers

Some game developers are using unique and controversial ways to combat cheating.

Microsoft was working on its own "TruePlay" anti-cheat system for Windows 10, but it was limited to the Universal Windows app Platform (UWP) that most game developers have ignored. Here's how Microsoft described its anti-cheat engine:

TruePlay provides developers with a new set of tools to combat cheating within their PC games. A game enrolled in TruePlay will run in a protected process, which mitigates a class of common attacks. Additionally, a Windows service will monitor gaming sessions for behaviors and manipulations that are common in cheating scenarios. These data will be collected, and alerts will be generated only when cheating behavior appears to be occurring. To ensure and protect customer privacy while preventing false positives, these data are only shared with developers after processing has determined cheating is likely to have occurred.

After briefly appearing in test versions of Windows 10, it has since disappeared. We asked Microsoft about its plans to prevent cheating in PC games, and the company provided the following statement:

"Due to the open nature of the PC platform, cheating in PC games is a complex and varied challenge. The PC ecosystem consists of several layers, such as hardware, the operating system, 1st and 3rd party software, services and more. With that said, we are committed to providing the best experience for players while continuing to ensure that Windows is an open ecosystem supporting a diverse hardware ecosystem, multiple methods to acquire and service games, and supporting multiple technologies and services to analyze, identify and mitigate cheating. We partner closely with industry-leading game developers, middleware, and anti-tamper/anti-cheat services to provide the most robust, end-to-end solutions."

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denuvo launched this kernel mode anti-cheat totally out of the blue on the same day as Doom Eternal's Denuvo anti-cheat update:

blog.irdeto.com

Denuvo Anti-Cheat goes LIVE! A message to DOOM Eternal fans and gamers

After three years of Irdeto’s Denuvo team working to build a multiplayer anti-cheat solution, we are excited to announce Denuvo Anti-Cheat goes LIVE today to protect the BATTLEMODE multiplayer of DOOM Eternal on PC! We are committed to being fully transparent, so here’s a list of what our...

Over the last three years, Irdeto's Denuvo team has been building a multiplayer anti-cheat solution. Two years ago, Denuvo kicked off an early access program where AAA publishers & studios were invited to contribute today's most popular multiplayer titles as anti-cheat test platforms. After countless hours and millions of gameplay sessions, we are excited to announce the launch of Denuvo Anti-Cheat.

Denuvo Anti-Cheat goes LIVE today, May 14th, 2020, to protect the BATTLEMODE multiplayer of DOOM Eternal on PC, developed by id Software and published by Bethesda Softworks.

We couldn't be more excited to take the knowledge we've gained in battling piracy and apply it to catching cheaters in the very games we play daily, with you.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, screw that noise.

I'm glad I beat the campaign before this all happened. Even with the season pass stuff, I'm not reinstalling this game. I'll replay 2016 Doom if anything, but not this one.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a video showing the problems Denuvo anti-cheat has introduced to Doom Eternal through this most recent update:

cptodin

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to refund it on steam but got the reply that due to my playtime and the 14days having passed it is not refundable...
Expected as much... but the playtime came from when it was still working, not really a good argument in my opinion

Oct 29, 2017
Not declaring this before release is really scummy.

I don't care about multiplayer but I had to let it install to be able to finish the campaign.

They should've broken off multiplayer into its own client. Forcing this stuff for single player is bad form.

Zapperino

Oct 28, 2017
My fear is that this sort of kernel-level drm is going to become the norm (again) in the AAA space. I'm curious if MS is gonna let publishers get away with it.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
But guys it only added a kernal level anti-cheat.. for a game that is prodominetly single player so now it breaks it for people who dont even wanna play multiplayer.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Denuvo launched this kernel mode anti-cheat totally out of the blue on the same day as Doom Eternal's Denuvo anti-cheat update:

blog.irdeto.com

Denuvo Anti-Cheat goes LIVE! A message to DOOM Eternal fans and gamers

After three years of Irdeto’s Denuvo team working to build a multiplayer anti-cheat solution, we are excited to announce Denuvo Anti-Cheat goes LIVE today to protect the BATTLEMODE multiplayer of DOOM Eternal on PC! We are committed to being fully transparent, so here’s a list of what our...
Why does Denuvo have a blog in where they pretend anyone likes them and is excited to know what they're doing next lmfao

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Don't know if it's been posted but the product manager of DAC has said this for an interview with techraptor.net, apparently they're looking for a way to bypass it if you play solo.

techraptor.net said:
TR: Linux gamers were previously able to play the game on Steam via Proton in singleplayer. Adding Denuvo Anti-Cheat there has blocked that - is there any way that Denuvo Anti-Cheat could allow the single-player to run on virtual machines while protecting multiplayer or removing it?

MG: We've been tracking the Proton issue immediately after launch and are committed to delivering a fix soon. This isn't a request coming to us from a publisher or anything like that - we genuinely respect such an enthusiast community and regret introducing this incompatibility on day 1.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/doom-eternals-latest-update-breaks-game

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it's been posted but the product manager of DAC has said this for an interview with techraptor.net, apparently they're looking for a way to bypass it if you play solo.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/doom-eternals-latest-update-breaks-game

This interview also reveals that Denuvo needs kernel level access because they need direct access to your CPU's security features:

TR: Why do you believe that a kernel-level Anti-Cheat solution is needed in general?

MG: Denuvo doesn't believe in kernel-level Anti-Cheat, but we recognize it offers the best balance between usability and cheat detection effectiveness. User-level anti-cheats in 2020 are the equivalent of bringing a knife to a gunfight, and rootkit anti-cheats violate gamer's expectation of usability. Existing Anti-Cheats need access to the Windows kernel for cheat detection 'tricks'. Denuvo doesn't really care about the Windows kernel and only needs kernel-level access to take advantage of modern hardware security features offered by Intel, AMD, and their chipsets.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I tried to refund it on steam but got the reply that due to my playtime and the 14days having passed it is not refundable...
Expected as much... but the playtime came from when it was still working, not really a good argument in my opinion

They won't even refund outside the period if your game is broken and won't even work. You'll get an automated message telling you the above and no way to even speak to a human being about it.

No idea why people praise this company's terrible customer service and refund policy.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
All I did was quit out and restarted the game and this happened. I was able to play launch and play the game afterwards but this is unnecessary.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Was going to buy this when I have finished some other games but I guess I just will wait until end of year sales to see if they manage to fix this.

While I understand that anticheat stuff is important for multiplayer, it should not run if I want to play single player. In fact I should be able to uninstall the anticheat stuff and just not be able to launch multiplayer in that case. Having it run with singleplayer is unacceptable.

Big Dirty

Nov 11, 2018
I've put in for a refund, only have 7-hours of play time but I bought it at the start of April for the full £50. I don't imagine it will be successful.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Valve shouldn't be let off the hook here. Why would they allow software to be sold on their platform that installs a root kit? That seems like the kind of thing that should have been against their terms of service all along. I don't know why I ever assumed the software I install from there had been verified to be safe for install given this.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Valve shouldn't be let off the hook here. Why would they allow software to be sold on their platform that installs a root kit? That seems like the kind of thing that should have been against their terms of service all along. I don't know why I ever assumed the software I install from there had been verified to be safe for install given this.

Im amazed that Microsoft themselves don't push back on it.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017

It's been about a year or more since the last valve hatewagon. Let's saddle up boys!

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's been about a year or more since the last valve hatewagon. Let's saddle up boys!

Expecting a company not to sell software that installs a root kit on your computer is a hatewagon? Yes, obviously the 600 games in my Steam library are a strong indication of Valve hating.

The corporate ballwashing on this site is ridiculous sometimes.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I wonder if Microsoft has gotten complaints from Windows users about ring-0 software.
Sure. There are buggy drivers around causing various issues from increased latencies to BSODs and other lockups. The elementary memory protection does not really help with bugs in kernel code, it's throwback to Windows 98 levels of reliability where any program can hard crash your computer. Often people do not even realize that the problem might be caused by a 3rd party kernel module if it isn't mentioned in error message and just proceed to blame Microsoft.

That being said in most cases people are running only a few 3rd party kernel drivers and most popular ones are pretty reliable nowadays. Graphics drivers used to be really problematic and broken shaders could trigger BSODs back in the day but most of the complex and error-prone processing (like graphics API implementations) have been handled in user space since Windows Vista.

Recently Apple went far as announcing deprecation of 3rd party kernel drivers altogether in upcoming versions of macOS. It's an interesting decision and actually makes a lot of sense but that's another topic.