• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Its not COVID Free its a 100 day detection free. Its clear COVID was still around.

Eilema

Jan 5, 2018
We're an island nation, surrounded by a whole lot of ocean. It would be as simple as closing our international airports and sea ports.

Sorry to anyone who wants to come "home" (doesn't seem like it's their home if they live overseas now) but you had your chance to get back to NZ, it's time to stay put wherever you are in the world.
That's the kiwi spirit mate.
So...fuck the Kiwis who happened to be on a working holiday overseas when everything went down? Screw those who had to leave for medical treatment not available in NZ? And just generally fuck anyone who left the country at any time for any reason, they're no longer considered New Zealanders in your eyes? There are still thousands stuck overseas still trying to get home for months due to the heavily limited flights in (and out).

Mate, as many have already clearly explained in this thread, it's far far from simple as you say to just close the border completely, with no exceptions, without causing chaos or taking away legals rights of Kiwis.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
They're still doing a pretty great job. This isn't a failure like some people are thinking of it.

They're much better than countries like USA, Brazil & the UK in which each of those dumbfuck leaders aren't taking it seriously.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12357371

What a fucking jackass

Donald Trump says he doesn't want the US to have a "big surge" in Covid cases like in New Zealand.

Yup. I rest my case.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Nope, they weren't mandatory till today. Good call. Also extending lockdown yo next sunday is a good call. I was hoping for this wednesday, but we're still getting between 1 and 10 cases per day from a small region. Once its closer to the low single digits for a few days I'd feel better about it.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, they weren't mandatory till today. Good call. Also extending lockdown yo next sunday is a good call. I was hoping for this wednesday, but we're still getting between 1 and 10 cases per day from a small region. Once its closer to the low single digits for a few days I'd feel better about it.

Why are the lockdown extensions so short/specific? It should follow the data. I feel that NZ has the benefit of hindsight here as they seem to be experiencing what a lot of places went through months ago. Getting out of lockdown early is what screwed over a lot of of places. And masks should be mandatory everywhere. At least in the affected region and surrounding areas.

The numbers are small, but growth will still be exponential. You're not going to stop this with mere bandaids.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Why are the lockdown extensions so short/specific? It should follow the data. I feel that NZ has the benefit of hindsight here as they seem to be experiencing what a lot of places went through months ago. Getting out of lockdown early is what screwed over a lot of of places. And masks should be mandatory everywhere. At least in the affected region and surrounding areas.

The numbers are small, but growth will still be exponential. You're not going to stop this with mere bandaids.
The reason why is because we have proper contact tracing and testing, we have almost all close contacts of the current cases self isolating, and its still just the one cluster. All the cases are in Auckland. Also, we arent coming out of lockdown completely next week, we are going from level 3 to level 2. Which is still going to be no groups of more than 10

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The reason why is because we have proper contact tracing and testing, we have almost all close contacts of the current cases self isolating, and its still just the one cluster. All the cases are in Auckland. Also, we arent coming out of lockdown completely next week, we are going from level 3 to level 2. Which is still going to be no groups of more than 10

You can do a great job contact tracing, but it will still not be effective enough. This virus is nasty. People can be asymptomatic or not show symptoms for weeks. I feel like the human race needs to be more humble towards COVID-19 and stop thinking it has outsmarted or contained it.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017

You can have gathering of up to 100 people in level 2.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Mask wearing under Level 2 was not mandatory before, however Buses are limited to a certain amount of people so that there is space between everyone. It was effectively to give time for people to go and buy masks, which many didn't have prior. Masks will be mandatory on public transport coming up.

I've seen a pretty good uptick in mask wearing on buses already and people are keeping themselves apart from each other, so mandatory masks will help more for sure.