• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

l44ly4m5zsw31.jpg

* New Zealand politician

Last edited:

Tokikko

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling with a false equivalence and hostility over multiple posts
Yeah, lets fight against derogatory terms and then applying them to others when we like to.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised how quickly this spread, but uh.. also.. is the rest of her argument anywhere? I'm curious to hear the rest of it in its entirety.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't even a derogatory term it is a dismissive phrase. If you are going to whine about it at least get that much right.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did I mishear her when she said "by the year 2050, I'll be 56 years old"?

?
That's what I heard too. I think that's what the guy behind her heard as well, which would explain the face he made.

Edit: man I am just bad at math. The way she said it almost felt like listening to a riddle that you're supposed to catch onto the wording.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Reminder that slurs are a problem because of the historical power differential between different groups. Boomer isn't the same as the n-word because the n-word is tied to an era, in many ways ongoing, of slavery and oppression for black people, while old people don't really have the same social inequity, or at the very least have no discrimination tied directly to the term. Boomer as a slur is a recent memetic fabrication, while the n word was used by countless hostile racists (and again, continues to be).

While I'm generally not fond of rhetoric like this, I'd suggest that equating the two is disrespectful to the black struggle

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Seems fine, she was discussing generations and someone didn't like it, it wasn't out of nowhere.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
What an insane era we live in where we are dividing groups on astrology level logic . I think we should view everyone through logic and reason and not through artificial groupes and constructions but hey maybe I'm just wrong here

OP
OP
ry-dog

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised how quickly this spread, but uh.. also.. is the rest of her argument anywhere? I'm curious to hear the rest of it in its entirety.

No idea why our parliment videos are put on Vimeo lmao, but here's the full speech

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What an insane era we live in where we are dividing groups on astrology level logic . I think we should view everyone through logic and reason and not through artificial groupes and constructions but hey maybe I'm just wrong here

Yes you are wrong, because the insult "ok boomer" does not mean "ok person born between 1946–1964." It means "ok person with backwards, intolerant views, your opinion is noted and disregarded because you are in the way"

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Ok boomer sounds like a "I'm entitled" vs "I'm entitled" competition between 2 generations rather than anything constructive. It's literally trolling behavior from millennials and gen z to counter tone deaf behavior from baby boomers.
immaturity from all sides

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I find the ok boomer stuff funny but I wonder if using it offensively/dismissively will make them rally together, dig in, and accelerate them killing the future. Or who cares they are already doing that anyway.