• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly a shocker. Just see previous matches between NZ and Canada. This is normal

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Canada has a Rugby team?

Also, how the fuck do the Welsh beat the Wallabies? The Welsh are afraid of vowels for fuck's sake!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is funny how north america is the "free wins" continent in an sport

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Rugby in North America is very underdeveloped BUT this has more to do with New Zealand being above everyone else.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Lol why is this a thread? Yes, they're really fucking good. I've seen us get crushed live by their C-team before.

Now let's see New Zealand play us at ice hockey and see how that goes 😂

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Makes, sense, nobody cares about rugby here. Ice hockey, Canadian football, American football, soccer, basketball and baseball are all more popular here.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Points spread was 66 points. New Zealand did not score in the last quarter of the game

Suspicious.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Rugby in North America is very underdeveloped BUT this has more to do with New Zealand being above everyone else.
No it doesn't. England, South Africa, Australia and France all likely would have posted significant points. The gulf between North America and those powerhouses is huge.

Canada and the US are arguably two of the worst teams in the world cup. It's the equivalent of bragging about a top 5 soccer world cup team beating a team beating Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Not that funny. The only team sports the US and Canada play to a decent standard are the ones where the entire sport revolves around the US and Canada

Eh, Canada is really only good at hockey and curling (obviously other winter themed team sports like speed skating, etc as well) at the national level, and both of those sports are big in Nordic countries. Then you have basketball where besides the Americans, Europe has some really competitive national teams, and if I'm not mistaken Argentina were also decent too. Baseball is also another sport America dominates but is also played extensively elsewhere in Latin America and Asia, and those regions have fielded good teams as well. So it seems as if you're basing your whole point around American Football lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. Now let's see how New Zealand fair in Ice Hockey against Canada or some other sport where Canada actually has a national interest.

Oct 31, 2017
Is funny how north america is the "free wins" continent in an sport

It's funny how NA gets an easy ride to the world cup. We really shouldn't because we suck a lot. Should be hard like getting to the handball world cup, which of course we never make it.

Not that funny. The only team sports the US and Canada play to a decent standard are the ones where the entire sport revolves around the US and Canada

US is good at volleyball, water polo, field hockey (women's) and nobody cares about those sports, but your point still stands. It's not incorrect.

Eh, Canada is really only good at hockey and curling (obviously other winter themed team sports like speed skating, etc as well) at the national level, and both of those sports are big in Nordic countries. Then you have basketball where besides the Americans, Europe has some really competitive national teams, and if I'm not mistaken Argentina were also decent too. Baseball is also another sport America dominates but is also played extensively elsewhere in Latin America and Asia, and those regions have fielded good teams as well. So it seems as if you're basing your whole point around American Football lol.

Hockey is the national sport of Canada. And I don't consider curling a team sport. I actually don't even view it as a sport but that's neither here nor there. The poster's point is correct, but that's true for most countries though with the exception of some European countries who can field a decent team in pretty much every team sport.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, even in an sport like football where mexico and the usa are not that good, they still could sometimes pass to the next round, or at least win one game . In rugby those teams get wrecked hard, like they were a tiny country from oceania who managed to go to the football world cup because Australia decided to play in Asia

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
When I was in school in Canada, rugby was more popular. Most high schools didn't have football or baseball programs. Obviously rugby has declined in Canada and other countries have thrived. That score is embarassing, but yeah, Canadians don't really care. It's not a high priority sport in Canada.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell at putting spoilers right there in a thread title. You think everyone watches it live all over the world? The winners are not a surprise but I didn't want to know the score, ffs.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
There is a rugby world cup thread:
www.resetera.com

Rugby World Cup 2019 |OT| Japan 20th September – 2nd November

Rugby is a rugged, tough, elegant game. It may only be the national sport of Georgia, Madagascar, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga and Wales (and Fiji if you count the 7-a-side version), but it is played all over the world. Seventy-nine international teams took part in qualifying tournaments around the...

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The All Blacks are just an absolute machine. I can't think of another international sport where one country is so dominant on such a consistent basis.

Edit: The US women's footy team as well.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol why is this a thread? Yes, they're really fucking good. I've seen us get crushed live by their C-team before.

Now let's see New Zealand play us at ice hockey and see how that goes 😂
Might get one against team canada. Would get a few against any Canadian nhl team though

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Countries that don't put much athletic emphasis on specific sports as other countries that do. Surprise!

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, even in an sport like football where mexico and the usa are not that good, they still could sometimes pass to the next round, or at least win one game . In rugby those teams get wrecked hard, like they were a tiny country from oceania who managed to go to the football world cup because Australia decided to play in Asia

I may be off here, but it's easier to pull an upset in soccer than in Rugby. You can park the bus and if the superior team is having a bad day, one counter or deflection the other way and you win the game 1-0. Isn't that how Mexico beat Germany in 2018? I don't see how you can park the bus in rugby and the better team will win more often than not.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may be off here, but it's easier to pull an upset in soccer than in Rugby. You can park the bus and if the superior team is having a bad day, one counter or deflection the other way and you win the game 1-0. Isn't that how Mexico beat Germany in 2018? I don't see how you can park the bus in rugby and the better team will win more often than not.
You get the ball back after you score a try/touchdown.

So you can roll the entire game.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
The All Blacks are just an absolute machine. I can't think of another international sport where one country is so dominant on such a consistent basis.

US has basketball if their best players decide to play.

China has diving, table tennis and badminton which is no less international than rugby.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
You get the ball back after you score a try/touchdown.

So you can roll the entire game.
Possession overturns more frequently between evenly matched teams though so you can't just hog the ball/run down the clock. Teams can only steam roll to nil if they have incredible ball retention.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

The US Men's Fencing Foil team right now has a legitimate argument for being the all-around GOAT team. They don't win every tournament because sports go as they go, but they are incredibly consistent and I'd totally argue are the strongest team right now.