• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
This is great, and from what I've been reading it's what most New Zealanders want anyway.

I feel that's the reasonable response from a person in a country that has a mass shooting, rather than "don't take muh gunz, muh 2nd amendment!!"

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Imagine a government that actually operates to protect and improve upon the well-being of its citizens rather than serve itself entirely at the expense of the population's health, safety and happiness.

Huh.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good question.

Could it be tied to higher standards in preventative mental health detection and treatment?

I'm not saying bad mental health is solely a direct reason for mass shootings.

But if a society is more cohesive and healthier, then maybe its an interacting factor.

I'd put my money on NZ not having a 24/7 white supremacist propaganda machine like the US has as the key factor.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Look America, that wasn't that hard was it?

It only took 1 massmurderer and they actually did something about the problem.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Weren't the guns used in the attack illegal already?

I think I read something about it but i am not sure.

Edit: Yes, the weapons were modified and illegal.

But it's certainly something.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Weren't the guns used in the attack illegal already?

I think I read something about it but i am not sure.

Edit: Yes, the weapons were modified and illegal.

But it's certainly something.

No, the guns were purchased legally by the attacker under an A-Category firearms licence.

The modifications performed on the guns were illegal.

Our law technically hasn't changed yet. There is ability within the Arms Act to reclassify certain types of firearms, and this change was made today. The change moves a few categories of firearms to define them as military-style semi-automatics which requires an E-Category firearms licence, which requires Police permission to obtain. However the government has essentially told the Police to stop issuing E-Category licences, effectively banning them while legislation is drafted and passed under urgency.

Last edited:

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
What a waste of time and money. Gun control won't work.
They should focus on implementing more thoughts and prayers, it's the only way developed countries can deal with this problematic.

Oct 27, 2017
It's also notable that this has solid support from across the political spectrum, including both the main government and opposition parties.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
A few points should be made clear after wading through Reddit comments:

- Firearm ownership in New Zealand is a privilege, not a right. No one in New Zealand "lost their freedoms" today.
- Self-defence is not considered a valid reason for firearm ownership by Police.
- 'Military-Style Semi-Automatic' is a legal term in New Zealand with a specific definition.
- This is not a 'knee-jerk' reaction. The government has been petitioned over the last 20 years to change gun laws. This is us finally coming to our senses and realising that weapons of mass murder have no place in our society.
- This is not 'authoritarian', the changes were voted into effect by our Parliament of democratically elected representatives.
- Extremism is not a mental illness.

Last edited:

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
There is a balance to be struck between public safety and legitimate use. The changes exclude two general classes of firearms which are commonly used for hunting, pest control, stock management on farms, and duck shooting:

Because when you go duck hunting, you need a semi automatic /sarcasm

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's also notable that this has solid support from across the political spectrum, including both the main government and opposition parties.
When we implemented our gun control laws in Australia a conservative government was in power and spearheaded the legislation. The conservative PM at the time was a notable gun control advocate even before Port Arthur, and is on record as saying he did not want the "American disease" to be imported here.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you guys are shocked that it's hard to do gun control when the foundation of a nation literally was built around the concept of using weapons to protect the rights of citizens.
I don't know if I could call it a foundation of a nation when it is, after all, an amendment. Though culturally, that's probably sadly the case after the fact.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
How many guns were there in NZ before this? I mean, by all accounts, it sounded easier to get a gun there, than it even is in the USA, so why haven't they been having mass shootings occurring as frequently?
Uhh... Does this sound easier than the USA:
An applicant for a firearms licence needs to be aged 16 years or older, attend an approved firearms safety course, pass theoretical and practical examinations about firearms safety and use, have adequate secure storage for firearms, complete the application form, supply suitable identification, name 2 referees and pay the prescribed application fees (which are not refundable) for the licence and any endorsements.

?

Oct 31, 2017
Legislatively how is this being accomplished so swiftly? Like does the PM just have unilateral power here? Is a vote necessary?
Parliament got together, both parties agreed and it was done. It would have been political suicide if any sitting member of parliament tried to stop the legislation going ahead in the current climate in NZ.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Great leadership from the prime minister. Really shows that it doesn't have to be that complicated.
Switzerland for instance has a shitton of guns, but i's really heavily regulated.
Yes, but it's important to elaborate on this point. Americans on the right constantly bring up Switzerland as a way to defend the second amendment (and the use of semi-automatic weapons) but their argument is usually based on misinformation.

Switzerland has a ton of guns because military service is compulsory for men*. Unless you opt for "weaponless service," you get a rifle from the military. You are generally expected to hand your firearm over to an armory once you've served. You may also safely store your firearm at home if you have a weapon's permit. As a result of gun-related crimes and suicides, the storage of ammunition at home has been banned in 2010. The overwhelming majority of gun-related deaths (187 out of 195) in 2014 were suicides, though the data doesn't specify whether or not military weapons were used in those instances.

https://www.vtg.admin.ch/de/die-sch...e-ausruestung/bewaffnung.html#ui-collapse-849
https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/armeewaffen-die-freiwillige-abgabe-funktioniert-nicht

*you may opt for community service instead if you object to the idea of military service

Last edited:

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Hope it goes really smoothly for NZ. These tragedies shouldn't happen; people should make whatever steps necessary to make sure it doesn't.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Isn't that a bit drastic?

A few more decades of thoughts and prayers surely wouldn't hurt? Gotta trust in the thoughts and the prayers!

Oct 26, 2017
The irony being you need guns in order to impose a revolution to overhaul the Bill of Rights to specifically define the scope of weapons that can be owned.

That's not irony. Irony is when you're so addicted to guns you don't even realize you can make them illegal without a violent revolution...

No you don't. You can amend the Constitution without an armed revolution if there's sufficient political will.
In other words, this.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
God work NZ.
I'm not even gonna make a pithy remark on the American situation. It's so past Onion levels of crazy it's not even worth it.
No outside pressure is going to crack that nut. It will have to come from the inside; from the younger generation.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
In less than a week since the massacre, they were able to ban assault weapons.

Sensible. Swift. Resolute.

It's nice to see a government that actually cares about protecting its citizens.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
A few points should be made clear after wading through Reddit comments:

- Firearm ownership in New Zealand is a privilege, not a right. No one in New Zealand "lost their freedoms" today.
- Self-defence is not considered a valid reason for firearm ownership by Police
- 'Military-Style Semi-Automatic' is a legal term in New Zealand with a specific definition
- This is not a 'knee-jerk' reaction. The government has been petitioned over the last 20 years to change gun laws.
- This is not 'authoritarian', the changes were voted into effect by our Parliament of democratically elected representatives
- Extremism is not a mental illness

The Reddit threads about this on the news boards make my head hurt.

Full of Americans projecting their gun-obsessed, warped views onto everyone else.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. This just shows how lame america is with this shit. I would have never expected action this fast and this comprehensive. Shoutout to New Zealand. Maybe America will have some sense one day.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Do they have any laws regarding handguns?

You cannot own a pistol for personal protection. As far as New Zealand law is concerned, the only legal civilian reason for pistol ownership is for sport shooting.

Pistol ownership requires a firearms licence with a B Endorsement. You must be part of a shooting club and transport and keep the pistol in approved safe, you may only fire it at approved ranges. There are a lot of hurdles to go through and it's arguably more difficult than owning a rifle or shotgun.

http://www.gunrack.co.nz/how-to-apply-for-a-pistol-licence-b-endorsement

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Good for NZ, but don't forget the issue of radicalization through anti-immigrant/anti-muslim right wing propaganda. I feel like thats the much more pressing issue.

W1SSY

Oct 28, 2017
New Zealand should sell those guns to Americans. I'm sure they could find people more than willing to buy them.

(I'm joking about them selling them but sadly not about Americans buying them)

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Incredible to think the USA is so allergic to obvious and sensible reforms like the ones enacted by the amazing NZ parliament because a bunch of powdered wig wearing slave owners once codified how important it was to shoot politicians if they got out of line.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
In the US you realistically need a constitutional amendment to fix the issue. And supporting that is political suicide for a large number of those required to propose it. Not to mention you would still need 3/4 of the states to ratify it.

Much more difficult even if there was the political will to do it.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
0AKo643.gif

tumblr_nts8zroJ2y1r6s7m3o3_500.gif

tumblr_nts8zroJ2y1r6s7m3o5_r1_500.gif

Exactly US Era. We lost then. Its over. Try again in 25 years.