• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the comparisons in this review seem like a stretch, but I agree with the general argument that this movie touches on a lot of sensitive topics but has nothing really interesting to say about any of them them.

Everything that happens in Joker just serves to be surface-level critiques/observations of society: exploiting the lower class will turn into class warfare, class warfare can get ugly, blah blah blah.

The comparisons to Black Panther are useful because that movie had more relevant social commentary in that Kilmonger introduction scene than Joker had in its entire runtime.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
i definitely got Bernie Goetz vibes from that scene and the following folk-herodom. those are, uh, quite some extrapolations though. i'm not sure what this guy thinks "parody" means
Goetz feels like a maybe but even then there are a significant number of differences, for starters it wasn't a robbery in the movie. Also the subway as a setting for crime isn't particularly unique, especially when depicting 70's era NYC.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I yawned when I read the title and continued to yawn as I finished the article.

stop trying to make fetch happen

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Looks like people in this thread are just discovering who Richard Brody is.

The central park 5 thing is a ridiculous comparison, but the Bernie Goetz thing is absolutely intentional (also mimicking death wish). As dumb as some of his smaller complaints are, I actually agree with him on the larger one: the film is totally playing with fire when it comes to depictions of black women and ends with a joyless offing of a random black woman for style points.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about manufacturing outrage, that is an absolutely absurd take. Having watched the movie a few hours ago it was fairly balanced and neutral with its portrayal of society around Joker, it was his depravity and perception of personal injustice by white elites, not yobs of colour that act as a stimulus for retribution.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Elitism rears it's ugly head. I say this as a subscriber of both New Yorker and The Economist. They work well within their own established framework, but outside that, their criticisms miss the mark far more likely than they would ever admit.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Looks like people in this thread are just discovering who Richard Brody is.

The central park 5 thing is a ridiculous comparison, but the Bernie Goetz thing is absolutely intentional (also mimicking death wish). As dumb as some of his smaller complaints are, I actually agree with him on the larger one: the film is totally playing with fire when it comes to depictions of black women and ends with a joyless offing of a random black woman for style points.
The race of the psychiatrist didn't matter, just so happened to be a person of color.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Someone should really compile all these reviews. They've become a second entertainment to this movie.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's a deliberate casting choice. Black women are put at a bizarre and illegible position in this film, alternately stalked, scorned, or murdered.
So you think the crew behind this film purposely put black women in these positions? Like, there are talks and meetings of how to min/max what happens to black women? Or is it possible that the Joker basically fucks up everyone's life regardless of race, status, etc?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Then the whole group swarms him, pummels him, kicks him, and leaves him bruised and bleeding and sobbing, alone, in the filthy alley. The crime alluded to is the attack wrongly attributed to five young men mislabelled as the Central Park Five—an attack on an isolated and vulnerable white person by a group of young people of color. The scene waves away history and says, in effect, that it may not have been those five, but there was another group out there wreaking havoc; they're not figments of a demagogue's hate-filled imagination—here they are, and they're the spark of all the gory action that follows.

Wow...what a gross stretch to make an extremely bad point.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
So you think the crew behind this film purposely put black women in these positions? Like, there are talks and meetings of how to min/max what happens to black women? Or is it possible that the Joker basically fucks up everyone's life regardless of race, status, etc?

No, I think black women routinely get shafted by white people who don't think about it one way or the other and this film participates in that. I don't accept the "equal opportunity hate everybody equally" defense. Ending the movie with the murder of a black woman which signifies pretty much nothing is a choice this movie actively made.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
No, I think black women routinely get shafted by white people who don't think about it one way or the other and this film participates in that. I don't accept the "equal opportunity hate everybody equally" defense. Ending the movie with the murder of a black woman which signifies pretty much nothing is a choice this movie actively made.
Then your mind is already made up.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Then your mind is already made up.

And yours isn't?

I mean look, Richard Brody is a foppish oaf who spits out overdetermined bad takes for a living, and everyone in this thread is right to point out what a stretch he's making in places in this article, but I think we're kidding ourselves here if we think that this film's racial and sexual politics are well-thought-through.

Oct 28, 2017
We see Arthur gun down three white male Wall St pieces of shit, kill another manipulative white piece of shit co-worker and confront a business tycoon Trump stand-in white piece of crap in Thomas Wayne and put a bullet in the head of a white talk show host.

All the onscreen murders involve white people and 3/4 of them were portrayed as not great people

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
And yours isn't?

I mean look, Richard Brody is a foppish oaf who spits out overdetermined bad takes for a living, and everyone in this thread is right to point out what a stretch he's making in places in this article, but I think we're kidding ourselves here if we think that this film's racial and sexual politics are well-thought-through.
You just haven't made a convincing argument. Like, he kills the therapist who is black. Does that really mean much more than he literally kills and attempts to escape Arkham every chance he gets in the comics? All it is saying is that the institution can't help him anymore.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest controversy of this movie I think is that it uses the music of Gary Glitter who is a pedophile.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Absolutely. And you can tell they really feel the humiliation.

It is like they can't back down from their initial "incel" nonsense and now have to go ever more absurd lengths.

Isn't it happening here as well? I remember there was a lot of moral panic about the movie before it released, though so far the Era impressions I've seen seem to be pretty positive.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Um there is definitely some racial elements in the film that feel like they go examined but the central park 5? What?

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised at the hostility here. Any film that taps into the racist mythology of feral black youth assaulting people in lawless cityscapes deserves some interrogation.

Don't know how close to the mark the author is because I haven't seen the film, but this thread has way more eye-rolling than it does counter-arguments. I would be very curious to see someone explain how the Goetz incident in particular is not being deliberately alluded to. And if the film is deliberately invoking Goetz, Brody is right that it's weird and a little suspicious to reimagine it without the racial component involved.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a deliberate casting choice. Black women are put at a bizarre and illegible position in this film, alternately stalked, scorned, or murdered.
Yeah and its one of those things thats really easy to not think about either but there is a conversation that deserves to be had about the intentional choices to do the above mentioned and having it all focused on black women of color.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at the hostility here. Any film that taps into the racist mythology of feral black youth assaulting people in lawless cityscapes deserves some interrogation.

Don't know how close to the mark the author is because I haven't seen the film, but this thread has way more eye-rolling than it does counter-arguments. I would be very curious to see someone explain how the Goetz incident in particular is not being deliberately alluded to. And if the film is deliberately invoking Goetz, Brody is right that it's weird and a little suspicious to reimagine it without the racial component involved.
So because the Joker guns down 3 white men on a subway, it somehow is an allusion to Goetz because the Joker was beaten by 3 black people before? No one needs to defend or argue why Joker isn't alluding to Goetz because the argument that it is, is so dumb.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

I'd wager it's because those of us who have seen it can ascertain the amount navel gazing going on in this article.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
A reach even Dhalsim will be proud.

Still, no biggie. One man's medicine is another man's poison, so that to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.