• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Including those little blurbs was a smart choice. I don't know if it'll convince anyone who doesn't already take it seriously, but many of these will stick with me.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This is a powerful visual.

I wish there were some way to say "thirty 9/11s" without someone taking that as some sort of attack on them either, as that's also a powerful way to frame this tragedy.

There should be interviews with people who lost family from all walks of life, ages and all areas of the country too.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't have the words. I'm just so angry about how everything has been handled. And I'm afraid. Afraid for the rest of us.

This is very powerful. And it won't make a single difference to the people screaming about reopening.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
It's been bizarre how we've just sort of been going through this without any sort of national mourning.

This is overdue. I'm glad the NYT did it.

If we had a competent, compassionate, capable President we would be able to process this as a nation. Instead we fend for ourselves as the President seeks to divide us for his personal gain.

Obama rose to the occasion, with the utmost compassion, after so many tragedies.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't have the words. I'm just so angry about how everything has been handled. And I'm afraid. Afraid for the rest of us.

This is very powerful. And it won't make a single difference to the people screaming about reopening.
I'm furious all the time. But even if it won't make a difference I'm glad to see a spotlight on the people we've lost.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if someone told you last year 100K+ Americans would die. 100K people that never should have died and the numbers continue to rise.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if someone told you last year 100K+ Americans would die. 100K people that never should have died and the numbers continue to rise.
There are a lot of people in this forum (including myself) who have serious egg on their faces from underestimating just how fast and wide this virus would spread.

It's horrifying, and it's horrifying how most of these deaths could have been prevented.

Oct 27, 2017
What's also sad is how many people just don't give a shit. They care more about being able to get a haircut or their nails done.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
If we had a competent, compassionate, capable President we would be able to process this as a nation. Instead we fend for ourselves as the President seeks to divide us for his personal gain.

Obama rose to the occasion, with the utmost compassion, after so many tragedies.
Emotional intelligence goes a long way.
Being compassionate now has a liberal bias. It's fucking bullshit.

Just the fact that Trump will see this as an attack says it all.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of people in this forum (including myself) who have serious egg on their faces from underestimating just how fast and wide this virus would spread.

It's horrifying, and it's horrifying how most of these deaths could have been prevented.

I don't think people should beat themselves too much for not realizing how fast and how wide this virus would spread. But seeing how the Trump administration and Republicans in Congress have responded to this should make all of our blood boil.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile people out there STILL think this was overblown, even with the measures taken. Absolute insanity.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Let's check in on what he has to say:

Well, let's cut him a break on tweeting. Let's see what he is up to:

9kn00lS.jpg

Ohh.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Have COVID-19 deaths now surpassed flu deaths in the US?

yes the 2019-2029 flu season by the CDC are 24k-62k deaths (flu season is done too) Covid-19 is already estimated at 100k and rising but once this is over we'll see that's probably underestimated based on excessive deaths being substantially up in many states even when you account for reported Covid-19 deaths.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
And nobody knows what the death toll will be a year from now.
Which is why I found it insane when the shutdown talks first started and the death toll was under 100, people were comparing it to Swine Flu, "over 12,000 people died from Swine Flu and nothing was shut down!!!!"

Idiots were comparing a few weeks of data to a full year and just a couple months late we're at 100,000 deaths with no real slowdown in sight.

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely going to be an infamous NYT front page. Powerful.

And I will never stop beating this drum until it sinks into the public conscious: A vast majority of these deaths were preventable if the Trump administration acted appropriately back when they knew this was coming in NOVEMBER of last year. They did nothing. There is blood on his hands.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
100k americans are all fucking dead and it happened in two months. i really don't think people have come to grips about how fucking sad that is. they're stats and not people with hopes/dreams/friends/family/children.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
100k americans are all fucking dead and it happened in two months. i really don't think people have come to grips about how fucking sad that is. they're stats and not people with hopes/dreams/friends/family/children.
In just a couple months and with quarantining. People are fucking nuts if they think this thing is over just because GOP politicians are demanding everything open back up.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This need to happen everyday. Post the names of the people that died.

Then do one every 10,000 and 100,000 again.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Fuck this is so horrible to witness and this all could have been prevented or at least, comparatively minimized. And of course, Trump doesn't give a shit; he went golfing again!

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Fake news am I right? Mu freedums > your snowflake "safety".

These morons have made wearing a face mask a partisan thing ffs!! I wish that they were somehow tagged so when they do get sick they get a kick in the ass reality their stupidity won them a "will not offer medical care" card.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
One of my managers who just got furlough said to be "...there was a time where a lot of people died in the past and things were not shut down like this..."

He was likely referencing the Spanish flu and for some reason doesn't understand why things had to be shut down. I don't know if he realizes that if no preventions were taken then maybe we would have millions then and then what? Would that be better in his view to start shut downs? These people man. No regards for their fellow man.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good idea, and I like that it isn't just names but some details too. Also, I was looking through and suddenly learned Adam Schlesinger died. I hadn't heard. :(

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this front page only reignited a palpable sense of rage in me...

That we've gotten to 100,000 deaths with so few communal displays of mourning is such a "masks off" moment for me. I'm not religious but, wow, the response to this really exposes the sham of religion. It's so inadequate.

That this has been mainly a political and economic story instead of being recognized as one of the great American tragedies is infuriating to me. Talks of returning to business feel so distasteful.

I think the general lack of respect for these victims in the media to date might have permanently broken my ability to take seriously any such symbolic displays.