• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York Times editorial page editor James Bennet says that a controversial column advancing a race-based theory of "Jewish genius" was fully edited and scrutinized prior to publication.

"All our columns are fact-checked and edited," he said in a statement to POLITICO.

Bennet did not discuss specifically how references to bogus claims about Ashkenazi Jews having superior intelligence made it through the Times's editing process, which has been called into question since the publication of Bret Stephens's much-criticized column and the subsequent addition of an editor's note.
In interviews with POLITICO, Times insiders described an ad hoc system, with veteran columnists typically not having a primary editor while newer hires are often assigned one. It also can vary greatly, they say, as to how closely columnists work with research assistants on fact-checking and with copy editors prior to publication.

"As we've added columnists in recent years, we've added a new layer of editing on top of our traditional practices, to help accustom them to writing for Times Opinion," Bennet said over email. "Longtime Times columnists, who have well-established relationships with particular editors, have continued with the approach they're used to."

Andrew Rosenthal, who served as Times editorial page editor from 2007 to 2016, said that columnists traditionally didn't have editors, though often consulted with one another while writing. Indeed, long-serving columnist Gail Collins has described not having to alert an editor about what she's writing, though she acknowledged that a research assistant and copy editor play key roles before publication.
Bennet took over for Rosenthal in 2016 and his first splashy hire was Stephens, who emerged during the presidential election as a fierce critic of Donald Trump in The Wall Street Journal's right-leaning opinion section. Stephens, a self-described "climate agnostic," ignited criticism with his debut Times column questioning climate science, prompting the paper's publisher, A.G. Sulzberger, to urge frustrated readers not to cancel their subscriptions.

Both Bennet and Sulzberger stressed how the hiring of Stephens, a conservative, would facilitate debate, yet recent controversies haven't been fueled by ideological disputes. Last August, Stephens faced a backlash online for his over-the-top reaction to a critic calling him a "bedbug" on Twitter, which included a Times column that seemed to compare the mild jab to Nazi rhetoric.

The columnist blow-ups have dogged Bennet, a former top Atlantic editor who has held several prominent reporting roles at the Times, and is seen as a contender to be the paper's next executive editor.

Bennet has drawn praise for expanding the opinion stable with writers such as Jamelle Bouie, Michelle Goldberg and Farhard Manjoo, while also launching the innovative Privacy Project, which published a jarring investigation on cell phone data on Dec. 20. But the publication days later of Stephens's column again brought a flood of criticism to the Opinion department.
John M. Broder, who has spent more than two decades at the Times, and currently serves on the paper's editorial board, confirmed in an email that he's Stephens's primary editor, though he declined to discuss the bungled column. "There was a mistake in this case, which is why the column now has an editors' note," a Times spokesperson said in an email.

In the past, Stephens has noted receiving Bennet's guidance on his writing, telling The Washington Post in October that Bennet helped edit the infamous "bedbug" column. "After that whole thing erupted, James and I went out for a very friendly drinking session," Stephens said of the August incident. "His line was: 'We seem to be approaching peak Twitter insanity.'"

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It seems pretty clear they're just seeing what they can get away with. It's disturbing they went full-on eugenics, but the idea has always been pretty popular in America.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
That fact that people like Bret Stephens, Ross Douthat, and David Brooks have columns in a major publication should show everyone in the US that this country is the farthest thing from a meritocracy.

Oct 26, 2017
That fact that people like Bret Stephens, Ross Douthat, and David Brooks have columns in a major publication should show everyone in the US that this country is the farthest thing from a meritocracy.
How could you forget Bari Weiss? She loves to go on Bill Maher's show and play the victim card against the intolerant left.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some very specific parts are, but I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. There's still a ton of good reporting there. It's just often overshadowed by some shitty attempts at both-sidesism.
A lot of it is, it still has some good reporters despite that, but they're not the ones working the political side.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they wanted to hire an editor who's qualification was being an internet troll and hung out with radicalized white supremacists? Pepperidge farm remembers

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mandatory accompany to this predictable nonsense:

BOB GARFIELD That montage is a product, obviously, of sound editing. But more importantly of contextualizing, which is crucial journalism. And yet so often absent partly because it can be confused with editorializing. So if we're in search of enablers of murderous demagoguery, we can't entirely exclude the mainstream press. Which in its determination to avoid the appearance of bias let alone activism, chronically soft pedals depravity–whether with bland euphemistic language-- Or careless water carrying for big lies. The first edition of Tuesday's New York Times headline about Trump's post-El Paso post-Dayton address, Trump Urges Unity Versus Racism, was nominally accurate but unforgivably devoid of context. Like reporting on 9/11 by saying, 'sunny day in New York City.' And we get suckered by the same con again and again.
BOB GARFIELD So there's the aforementioned carelessness of the mainstream media and then there is, perhaps, something more insidious, a tolerance for racism and xenophobia laundered through punditry on electoral pragmatism. In an essay for Slate this week, Tom Scocca observed that tolerance for intolerable ideology is too often advertised as a virtue. In effect, trying to make bigotry respectable. Tom welcome back to OTM.
The Slate piece referenced

Its a great deconstruction of the way the MSM habitually launders, normalizes, and treats as a virtue the tolerance of right wing lies and extremism and the purveyors of it. Resulting in a process where every new encroachment of extremism is processed through a MSM machine that routinely softens it, avoids proper context for fear of accusations of bias, and pushes it out the other end in a way that invites false equivalencies and legitimacy to extremist ideology and action.

Last edited:

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
So what are some good newpaper publications? NYT and WaPo have been really bad lately
None of the major publications are good: they are all propaganda organs. Though not fully committed to the spread of lies, their agenda is masked, teasing out just enough truth for an illusion of legitimacy. Chomsky always says that the Wall Street Journal is probably your best bet if you want assurance that you are receiving the most objective and accurate reporting, since its main audience are the managers of the industties that drive our economy.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
So what are some good newpaper publications? NYT and WaPo have been really bad lately

I've been disappointed by almost every big publication within the past four years. I've largely just tried to adjust my own filter, sample a variety of sources, etc. The NYT and WaPo still put out some high quality pieces, as does The Guardian, Der Spiegel, The Atlantic, etc. Actually The Atlantic is the only one that to my knowledge hasn't put out anything cringe worthy lately, but I'm sure someone here knows something I don't.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like I've been saying for years: The problem at the NYT isn't the reporters, it's the people in charge. I do feel bad for the talented people who have to work under inept management. I know how it feels and it just sucks seeing drivel posted alongside something you're really proud of. Even worse is when your bosses force you to write drivel.

Oct 26, 2017
None of the major publications are good: they are all propaganda organs. Though not fully committed to the spread of lies, their agenda is masked, teasing out just enough truth for an illusion of legitimacy. Chomsky always says that the Wall Street Journal is probably your best bet if you want assurance that you are receiving the most objective and accurate reporting, since its main audience are the managers of the industties that drive our economy.
I've been disappointed by almost every big publication within the past four years. I've largely just tried to adjust my own filter, sample a variety of sources, etc. The NYT and WaPo still put out some high quality pieces, as does The Guardian, Der Spiegel, The Atlantic, etc. Actually The Atlantic is the only one that to my knowledge hasn't put out anything cringe worthy lately, but I'm sure someone here knows something I don't.
Thanks for the recommendations

Also what are the odds that both your avatars are waves