• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not a Cuomo fan, but his response to this has been solid.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I though hand sanitizer won't do shit for the virus. It only kills bacteria.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of this "it can't hurt" situations. Though the argument could be made that it creates a false sense of security and people wash their hands less often.

This needs to come with a big "sanitizer is supplemental to hand washing. it does not replace the mechanical action of washing your hands"

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Yep. Failed society. Homelessness got worse due to Bloomberg who made a lot changes to the public and low cost housing programs for the homeless. He feared fraud and put a lot red tape in the homeless housing process.
*he said he feared fraud to play to voters who don't like poor people

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There's an estimated half a million homeless people in the entire country, but 114,000 of those are kids in NYC? 🤔
Pretty sure those stats are legit. Department of Ed student files have this info.

They can still be in the shelter system.

Oct 25, 2017
There's an estimated half a million homeless people in the entire country, but 114,000 of those are kids in NYC? 🤔

Homeless in New York Statistics 2019. Homeless Estimation by State | US Interagency Council on Homelessness

Find out homeless population statistics for the state of New York, get the data on families, veterans, chronic and youth...
New York Homelessness Statistics
As of January 2019, New York had an estimated 92,091 experiencing homelessness on any given day, as reported by Continuums of Care to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Of that Total, 15,901 were family households, 1,270 were Veterans, 2,978 were unaccompanied young adults (aged 18-24), and 7,229 were individuals experiencing chronic homelessness.
Public school data reported to the U.S. Department of Education during the 2017-2018 school year shows that an estimated 153,209 public school students experienced homelessness over the course of the year. Of that total, 5,939 students were unsheltered, 44,678 were in shelters, 3,157 were inhotels/motels, and 99,435 were doubled up.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
When I walked into work on Friday every desk had a container of wipes and a little bottle of hand sanitizer on it. It was very much not shelf friendly retail packaging and my company orders a lot of varied stuff including medical supplies, so maybe our supply partners were much easier to get it from than a typical office would have access to.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

You may be thinking of triclosan-based cleaners which do not help against viruses.

Alcohol-based sanitizers are effective against coronaviruses.

When and How to Wash Your Hands | Handwashing | CDC

Handwashing is one of the best ways to protect yourself and your family from getting sick. Learn when and how you should wash your hands to stay healthy.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
If Mayo Clinic recommends it, I'd say it's legit.
Practice everyday prevention

As you touch people, surfaces and objects throughout the day, you accumulate germs on your hands. You can infect yourself with these germs by touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

To protect yourself, wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

This is not even unusual in many wealthy counties across the US. School feeds and cares for so many kids that otherwise have nothing.

This is a few years old but I'm sure we have not made groundbreaking improvements in the past few years.
www.icphusa.org

Out of the Shadows: A State-by-State Ranking of Accountability for Homeless Students – Institute for Children, Poverty & Homelessness

A quality education can be the most important tool to helping children and families lift themselves out of a recurring pattern of housing instability. To do that, however, these children must first be identified as homeless and then receive the necessary support to ensure that homelessness does...

Last edited:

thefit

Oct 25, 2017

Yes we are. This country wanted to prove capitalism was so superior to anything else that it brainwashed generations that keep voting in an antiquated system that isn't moving with the times and the times are the worst of times that require immediate action.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Good, Wegmans is limiting how many bottles people can purchase and our local Dollar General has been out of stock for two weeks, and as soon as we get a truck in it's gone in hours.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be increased yeah but I don't see anything wrong with lower prison wages. Or at least give them market rate if they want to spend it at the prison commissary or saved up an index fund released to the person Once thier jail term are up.
"No it's fine that these people are basically slaves, they did a bad thing so they have to be dehumanized and stripped of their labor for the better people".

Things cost money in prison, a lot of these men have families that need support. What a horrible fucked up thing to think.
They are Criminals, they aren't some down on their luck high school drop outs.
Most of these people are in prison for non-violent felonies. Also they're still people, not slaves.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
"No it's fine that these people are basically slaves, they did a bad thing so they have to be dehumanized and stripped of their labor for the better people".

Things cost money in prison, a lot of these men have families that need support. What a horrible fucked up thing to think.

Most of these people are in prison for non-violent felonies. Also they're still people, not slaves.
I'm okay with it so long as it's voluntary and not something that is required by the prison. Basically it's something productive to do while you are serving time for many that would otheriwse be bored out of thier minds.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I recall reading the virus had a lipid layer that gets destroyed by soaps and sanitizer, which is why they are effective against this one. Was that false information?

It's not a lipid layer. It's a corona that protects the virus from the environment. Hand sanitizer at around 60-70% is enough to strip the corona off.

edit: Ooops sorry, yes it's a lipid corona layer.

Oct 27, 2017
They are Criminals, they aren't some down on their luck high school drop outs.

Describe a criminal to me. Pot smoker? Someone who couldn't pay a parking ticket? Have you ever committed a crime? Do you call yourself a criminal?

Slave labor is inhumane. Full stop. Even ickier when it's a for profit prison.

I'm okay with it so long as it's voluntary and not something that is required by the prison. Basically it's something productive to do while you are serving time for many that would otheriwse be bored out of thier minds.

Ahh yes, the old "leveraging humanity against those with no options for profit." Capitalisms best friend.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be increased yeah but I don't see anything wrong with lower prison wages. Or at least give them market rate if they want to spend it at the prison commissary or saved up an index fund released to the person Once thier jail term are up.

I suggest you watch the Netflix documentary '13th'.

And I'd recommend the same to anyone endorsing prison labour.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Describe a criminal to me. Pot smoker? Someone who couldn't pay a parking ticket? Have you ever committed a crime? Do you call yourself a criminal?

Slave labor is inhumane. Full stop. Even ickier when it's a for profit prison.

Ahh yes, the old "leveraging humanity against those with no options for profit." Capitalisms best friend.
Rapist, murderers, pedophiles, gang members, drug dealers, people who beat women, people who leave their kids to die in a freezing cold garage, shooters, robbers, drunk drivers that tore families apart, doctor's that over prescribed medicines.

That's a criminal to me, plus they are bottling hand sanitizer, they aren't out there carrying stones in quarry or doing real deal physical labor.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rapist, murderers, pedophiles, gang members, drug dealers, people who beat women, people who leave their kids to die in a freezing cold garage, shooters, robbers, drunk drivers that tore families apart, doctor's that over prescribed medicines.

That's a criminal to me, plus they are bottling hand sanitizer, they aren't out there carrying stones in quarry or doing real deal physical labor.

This is ignoring the issue of mass incarceration in America, with for-profit prisons (which is wildly immoral in and of itself). You're at best deluding yourself if you think the racially profiled minority people who are in prisons are all meant to be there, and for as long as they are, and that they deserve to be subjected to glorified slavery.