• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
How the fuck has no one mentioned Scarr's in the lower east side
AnchoredLittleDevilfish-size_restricted.gif

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Good pizza exist in just about in every state now. NY Metro area probably still has the best because there is just so much of it that they have to stay on top of their A game. But there are all kinds of different ways to prepare it and with small ingredient changes that it's also fairly unique.

With all that said, I don't think of the Upper East Side, or Manhattan in general, as being the place to go for great pizza. As the various other posters have pointed out, there are so many places just outside Manhattan that do it better. As someone from New Jersey (of Italian heritage) I'm going to be biased towards my home state. Still I've seen a bit of America and Europe and have had great pizza all around.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I ate at Lombardi's when I was visiting NY..mainly for the historical value of the place. But the pizza was legit great. So I disagree OP

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm on a New York trip right now and I've been going to a bunch of pizza places on the upper east side (Luigi's pizza, Gotham pizza, Pizza City, Nick's pizza so far) and have tried various flavors (margherita, buffalo chicken, Sicilian, and the usual cheese/pepperoni stuff) and while it's definitely good, it's not much better than random pizza places I go to in Houston. I thought my eyes would be opened to some new pizza dimension. My expectations for pizza would transcend to a new unforseen level.

Am I missing out on certain places? Any places that would change my mind that aren't super expensive? Gonna be here till Sunday
As a Brit, I know you didn't even do any online research into the best NYC pizza places. Just by Google reviews, you didn't mention Prince St, John's of Bleecker Street, Di Fara, Scarr's, Mario's (you went to the lesser bro instead), Roberta's, and a dozen more before the ones you mentioned show up.

Git gud?

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest? Almost any place besides Geno's and Pat's. They are the "McDonalds" of cheesesteaks in Philly, based on speed more than anything. It's why they serve cheese whiz on cheesesteaks, which like 90% of Philly does not eat.

That's actually pretty amusing to hear. I mean it was a long time ago and I recall being somewhat intimidated in line even when ordering. (as if i was going to experience something similar to the soup nazi from Seinfeld)

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on a New York trip right now and I've been going to a bunch of pizza places on the upper east side (Luigi's pizza, Gotham pizza, Pizza City, Nick's pizza so far) and have tried various flavors (margherita, buffalo chicken, Sicilian, and the usual cheese/pepperoni stuff) and while it's definitely good, it's not much better than random pizza places I go to in Houston. I thought my eyes would be opened to some new pizza dimension. My expectations for pizza would transcend to a new unforseen level.

Am I missing out on certain places? Any places that would change my mind that aren't super expensive? Gonna be here till Sunday

i envy you op because here in miami i feel like there aren't that many good local pizza places... off the top of my head, mamma mia, two brothers, and pizza rustica. they are good but i really want to go to NY one day because there was this show on buzzfeed that had two guys and a camera guy do to places where the prices rate from lowest to highest and pizza was one of those episodes and it was great. so yeah, can't wait to go there one day

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Damn so you're telling me a big flat limp greasy boi that was haphazardly tossed together in 10 mins and slapped on a paper plate is overrated?

I never would've thought

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Newsflash, any top 15 metro in the US has good pizza. And honestly really anything.
Yes but outside of the Northeast, you have maybe 5 places tops with great pizza...then balanced with how many crappy places? Meanwhile I have as many in walking distance. That pizza zone posted earlier in the thread is the truth. It's hard to find bad pizza here unless you are the OP.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but outside of the Northeast, you have maybe 5 places tops with great pizza...then balanced with how many crappy places? Meanwhile I have as many in walking distance. That pizza zone posted earlier in the thread is the truth. It's hard to find bad pizza here unless you are the OP.

people wouldnt think of the twin cities as somewhere with great pizza. It's awesome. There frankly isn't anything special about pizza in the NE, sorry.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
When you get older you realize all these "best in X" claims are silly as its not like they have exclusive access to next level shit in NY. And the fact that theres only so much you can do with Sauce cheese and dough.

You can find amazing pizza in Tibet probably.

Dec 31, 2017
Nah, you're wrong, flat-out. It's great.

It's obviously not going to be similar to pizza from Napoli, but it's still great.

Having said that, I don't know why you had otherworldly expectations. In the end it is sauce, cheese, bread. Even 2 bros dollar slice can satisfy really well.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm biased because I have a great working relationship with Frank Pepes CEO. Their pizza is amazing.

It's really hard to find BAD pizza in Connecticut

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
As a cook, someone living in Europe, and born and raised in New York I gotta disagree with you. Is it authentic? No. Is it great quality(well depending on the joint? No. Is there anything in the world that can beat a slice from your local pizzeria, especially in Queens? Hell fucking no. There is nothing like a NY slice.

Nov 17, 2017
I assume that's normal for the most part. Like the first time i had Geno's/Pat's cheesesteaks in Philly, didn't come off as anything special. I feel like I've eaten superior "Philly Cheesesteaks" that weren't from Philly.

Great food is everywhere!
Geno's and Pat's are tourist traps. They are about the worst places you can go for cheesesteaks in Philly. I'm not even really a big cheesesteak fan myself but those two places are a pretty crappy representation of Philly cheesesteaks as most Philadelphians would tell you.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
In NYC, pizza is fast food, meant to be eaten on the go. It's not really something to order in a sit in restaurant, like Chicago deep dish.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
In NYC, pizza is fast food, meant to be eaten on the go. It's not really something to order in a sit in restaurant, like Chicago deep dish.
pretty much - by its very design it isn't a special meal experience. you eat it folded, quickly, from a paper plate translucent with orange grease, close to a pile of garbage on the street

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
NY pizza is a type of pizza. It's not about the location. And it's the best pizza.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
If Italian style pizza is so good, why haven't they opened more shops in America?

Personally, I'd love to try the best authentic stuff. I missed out on it during my last Italy trip.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah bro shoulda gone to Chicago if you wanted life-changing pizza.

Best thing about Pizza in Chicago is that it contains the entire pizza spectrum. You can get any kind of pizza here. Specifically for an NYC-style slice you probably aren't going to beat the actual East Coast, but that's one small ...slice ...of the pizza universe.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I also failed to find anything transcendent when last I visited NYC but I only got to try a couple places.

My ideal pizza, which I've only experienced like once since moving to the west coast, is a relatively thin but large-cut triangular slice, sopping with grease. The grease is the secret to me.

I'm not sure if that description matches the NYC slices people rave about but that's what I was hoping/looking for and didn't quite find.

One place I tried was a dollar-slice joint. 😆 Of course that wasn't great but I appreciated that it still existed.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
There are some bad hot takes in this thread. I've had some damn good pizza across the city. I hate greasy pizza though. I feel horrible after eating it. I had some damn good pizza down by Wall Street over the summer. And I like Chicago deep-dish pizza too as a native New Yorker. Astoria has a lot of great pizzerias IIRC.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Upper West Side? In your city does the most touristy spots have the best things? Either way Brooklyn typically has the top rated ones. Always use TripAdvisor which is a decent indicator of quality, and Yelp in USA as well. Typical ny slice is soggy and chewy and just about right, but it's not Uber special. And modern food culture is elevated so people can emulate things much more easily, most cities have most things, food lost that exotic factor. For neopolitan: Luzzo's, Roberta's and Saraghina. Ultra hyped Di Fara. For a regular or topped slice, any joint in a vibrant hood. Stay away from Dumbo.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
i envy you op because here in miami i feel like there aren't that many good local pizza places... off the top of my head, mamma mia, two brothers, and pizza rustica. they are good but i really want to go to NY one day because there was this show on buzzfeed that had two guys and a camera guy do to places where the prices rate from lowest to highest and pizza was one of those episodes and it was great. so yeah, can't wait to go there one day
Sir Pizza in Miami is my GOAT pizza even after living in NYC for eight years.