• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
The real reason behind this decision is an attempt to drive down turnout and to give Cuomo more control over the DNC delegation.

Biden supporters don't really have any real reason to go to the polls unless they have a downballot race they want to vote for. Bernie supporters still have a lot of reason to want to participate in the process. As a result, it was looking very possible (if not likely) that New York would deliver an election where Bernie defeats Biden, but at a bare minimum you'd have leftists substantially participating in New York's DNC delegation.

The rationale for the cancellation of the election comes from the fact that they also were dropping all the suspended campaigns from the ballot. You might think that sounds reasonable, they had some rule to drop suspended campaigns from the ballot. That might sound less reasonable if you learn that the rule to drop suspended campaigns isn't some long-standing rule, it's a change that was implemented in the recent weeks by Cuomo's new budget.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No clarification is necessary. The "election" is a single race, and then polling places are issuing ballots that are a collection of the elections taking place at that time. It is entirely accurate to say that New York has cancelled their presidential primary election. The fact that there are other elections scheduled for the same day that are not cancelled doesn't mean that it's inaccurate to describe this as a cancelled election.

Got it. Based on this article, it seems like the ballot would have appeared like this:

"Democratic Presidential Nominee:

[ ] Joe Biden"

Bernie Sanders, and the other ~12 candidates, were not going to appear on the ballot as of a law passed earlier this year that removes names from a primary ballot once they've suspended their campaign in the state.

Given the public health outbreak, where ~17,000 New Yorkers have died and ~300,000 have been infected, I don't think it's unreasonable to protect poll workers and the voting public who will be circling in a bubble that only has one name on it... At least in the 33% of counties that have no other binding questions on the ballot.

I think in my ideal scenario, absentee ballots would be mailed out in every county where elections are being canceled, but I also understand the logistical and cost challenge of that, especially if it's effectively a useless ballot if there's just 1 name on it.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Plans for situations like this should have been ready or in the process as soon as Covid19 became an issue.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the problem. 1) The race is already over. 2) The Democratic party is a private entity and doesn't have to do shit. 3) It will save lives.

The only downside is Republicans pointing to this when they inevitably try to delay the general election.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
*Wisconsin voter here*

Yeah don't make people come out and risk themselves if their only election is for a presidential primary that is already over.

Nov 2, 2017
Got it. Based on this article, it seems like the ballot would have appeared like this:

"Democratic Presidential Nominee:

[ ] Joe Biden"

Bernie Sanders, and the other ~12 candidates, were not going to appear on the ballot as of a law passed earlier this year that removes names from a primary ballot once they've suspended their campaign in the state.

"This year" obsfucates that this rule is like 3 weeks old, and was basically pushed through specifically to cancel the primary in exactly this way. This decision was going to be challenged, and my guess is that the cancellation is an attempt to make this challenge more difficult via this "b-b-b-b-but the virus" safety posturing.

And, yes, before I hear any objection to "safety posturing", either the election is safe or it isn't. If it's not safe to hold elections on June 23rd, then let's delay all of them. If it's safe enough to hold the ones they're still planning on holding, then it's safe to hold all of them.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, if there is a natural disaster or whatever we still shouldn't cancel a Presidential primary or any election. We need to make sure everyone has the ability to vote safely. I'm in Wisconsin and my mail in ballot still doesn't show as counted.
My point is you're acting like they had such a long time to prepare... Bernie literally dropped out like just over 2 weeks after locksdowns started

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
If there are other elections then its absolutely wrong that they would cancel the presidential primaries as well.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
*Wisconsin voter here*

Yeah don't make people come out and risk themselves if their only election is for a presidential primary that is already over.
its almost like we didn't see this happen once. Damn people just don't give a fuck about others, its always about themselves. Don't make people come out to vote when they don't need to. And if half the counties only had a presidential primary, why have it for those counties when all the candidates suspended their campaigns and have even endorsed Joe Biden. Insanity.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If it's not safe to hold elections on June 23rd, it's not safe and none of them should proceed.

If it is safe enough to hold elections on June 23rd, then they should hold all of the elections.

There is 20 counties where the only thing to vote in is a decided primary.... that's why it and only it is being canceled... because it safely can be because it's done and finished.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
its almost like we didn't see this happen once. Damn people just don't give a fuck about others, its always about themselves. Don't make people come out to vote when they don't need to. And if half the counties only had a presidential primary, why have it for those counties when all the candidates suspended their campaigns and have even endorsed Joe Biden. Insanity.

It should be mail only ballots for everyone. There shouldn't be polling places until the threat of COVID 19 is zero. Every election including the one in November should be by mail.

Because everything should be by mail, the presidential primary for NY shouldn't need to be cancelled. I agree safety is above everything else so there shouldn't be any in-person polls.

Nov 2, 2017
If the DNC wants to handle this appropriately, then the answer to the cancellation of the democratic primary is the DNC excluding the New York delegation from the national convention. The New York Democratic Party's approved delegate apportionment plan is based on a contest that is no longer being held and it is not practicable to design a new apportionment plan on short notice without the primary. As such, they have no operable plan for apportioning delegates and the people of New York will be left without a voice at the national convention.

What they will do, even though it's very much against the rules, is instead just assign a bunch of Biden/Cuomo party insiders and send them to the convention to help wreck any meaningful process toward progressive policy in the party platform.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
My point is you're acting like they had such a long time to prepare... Bernie literally dropped out like just over 2 weeks after locksdowns started
I see where your coming from. I just think there should have been plans in place for issues that would interfere with voting before Covid19 was even a thing. I don't want to see a precedent for canceling elections for obvious reasons. Mail in ballots with extended count dates would have been a great safe option. For my Wisconsin presidential primary we still had voting for other things as well and I feel those "smaller" elections are still very important.

Bernie dropped out the day after I voted and I still would have voted for him as a write in for the primary so the DNC knows whats up. I'll be voting blue this year to get Trump out but change is needed in the DNC as well.

Nov 2, 2017
There is 20 counties where the only thing to vote in is a decided primary.... that's why it and only it is being canceled... because it safely can be because it's done and finished.

It's not a foregone conclusion. The presidential primary is used as shorthand for the nomination process for delegates to the national convention, who do a lot more than just voting on a Presidential candidate. Who those delegates are is the actual question that the presidential primary covers, and there is nothing foregone about that conclusion. This is exactly the reason why Sanders' campaign is suspended and not terminated.

Without a Presidential primary, there is no delegate selection process, which the DNC mandates has to stem from a primary or caucus, some sort of democratic instrument where people choose the delegates. The only acceptable option without a nominating contest is being fine with the prospect of New York getting no say in the Democratic Party platform because they don't get to take part.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks but I get it. This was the worst hit state. I remember hearing some voters casting ballots in the Wisconsin primary got sick. It'd be nice if there was a mail-in ballot.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I see where your coming from. I just think there should have been plans in place for issues that would interfere with voting before Covid19 was even a thing. I don't want to see a precedent for canceling elections for obvious reasons. Mail in ballots with extended count dates would have been a great safe option. For my Wisconsin presidential primary we still had voting for other things as well and I feel those "smaller" elections are still very important.

Bernie dropped out the day after I voted and I still would have voted for him as a write in for the primary so the DNC knows whats up. I'll be voting blue this year to get Trump out but change is needed in the DNC as well.

SHould have but weren't

Hopefully a lot of things are learned from this pandemic.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a foregone conclusion. The presidential primary is used as shorthand for the nomination process for delegates to the national convention, who do a lot more than just voting on a Presidential candidate. Who those delegates are is the actual question that the presidential primary covers, and there is nothing foregone about that conclusion. This is exactly the reason why Sanders' campaign is suspended and not terminated.

Without a Presidential primary, there is no delegate selection process, which the DNC mandates has to stem from a primary or caucus, some sort of democratic instrument where people choose the delegates. The only acceptable option without a nominating contest is being fine with the prospect of New York getting no say in the Democratic Party platform because they don't get to take part.

If you're literally arguing this needs to happen because Bernie m can still win nomination... I think you need to get a reality check.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"This year" obsfucates that this rule is like 3 weeks old, and was basically pushed through specifically to cancel the primary in exactly this way. This decision was going to be challenged, and my guess is that the cancellation is an attempt to make this challenge more difficult via this "b-b-b-b-but the virus" safety posturing.

And, yes, before I hear any objection to "safety posturing", either the election is safe or it isn't. If it's not safe to hold elections on June 23rd, then let's delay all of them. If it's safe enough to hold the ones they're still planning on holding, then it's safe to hold all of them.

Are you really reducing my posts in this thread as "b-b-b-b-b-b virus safety posturing," because that's childish bull shit if so.

The very idea that someone can "posture on safety" during a global pandemic is just insane. It's almost as if you knew it was a dumb fuck phrase to use so you added your "...and before I hear any objections" follow-up. Sorry, but I object. I'm going to an in-car burial for my aunt tomorrow, who died of COVID, and I object to being called a "stuttering safety posturer," especially when I haven't been unfair to any of the points you're making in this thread.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The republicans are probably loving this. I'm surprised Trump hasn't tweeted about how this is bad for Bernie and that they take people's ability to vote away.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused from this entire thing. So was it all write in for voting either Bernie or Biden prior to this?

There are multiple elections going on... they get consolidated onto one ballot, 20 counties had nothing else but the Presidential Primary to vote for.... The other elections which are still in active contest will continue, the Presidential primary which is all but officially done will not

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Yes, with this decision, both names would not be on the NY ballot. The 40 / 62 counties that have other elections scheduled to be held that day would have ballots not containing the Democratic primary.
There are multiple elections going on... they get consolidated onto one ballot, 20 counties had nothing else but the Presidential Primary to vote for.... The other elections which are still in active contest will continue, the Presidential primary which is all but officially done will not
Thank you. I don't see the point in doing so if the race is essentially over. So I'm not sure why anyone would defend this.

Every state should have converted to a purely mail-in voting process which is what progressives have called for the last 1-2 months.

Nov 2, 2017
If you're literally arguing this needs to happen because Bernie m can still win nomination... I think you need to get a reality check.

I'm arguing the contest needs to happen so that New York can select delegates for the national convention, who will, yes, vote on the candidate for President, but who also set the Democratic Party's platform in substantial ways.

If there is a substantial enough problem such that no presidential primary can be held, then New York has selected no representatives for the national convention and should be excluded unless they can devise a new, safe, democratic plan for selecting national convention delegates. Seeing as how organizing a new contest on short notice like that is basically impossible, that would mean no delegates for New York. Should that come to happen, Cuomo would be excluded from the national convention, and if that were to come to pass, I think we'd suddenly have a new plan where the primary was going to take place after all. (It's because shutting down the primary wasn't driven by safety concerns but by consolidation of political power concerns.)

EDIT: I should probably note, I have zero expectations that the DNC is actually going to do anything other than just let the Biden/Cuomo conservative wing hand-pick a state-wide delegation. If we had an actual reasonable party, one that wasn't already captured by corporate interests, the outcome where New York gets excluded should be the outcome we'd expect, but this is also the party that basically booted everyone out to try to force everyone into the Rapist War Criminal boat.

Are you really reducing my posts in this thread as "b-b-b-b-b-b virus safety posturing," because that's childish bull shit if so.

The very idea that someone can "posture on safety" during a global pandemic is just insane. It's almost as if you knew it was a dumb fuck phrase to use so you added your "...and before I hear any objections" follow-up. Sorry, but I object. I'm going to an in-car burial for my aunt tomorrow, who died of COVID, and I object to being called a "stuttering safety posturer," especially when I haven't been unfair to any of the points you're making in this thread.

I'm not reducing your posts to such, I'm saying that Cuomo and his conservative buddies are using the virus as an excuse to consolidate their own political power, and I threw out the follow-up because Dumbfuck Neoliberal Era is all over this site and I was sure someone would argue that, no, of course the selective cancellation of only the contest which influences the balance of the national party and drives turnout of leftists is due to safety reasons.

Last edited:

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
The pre
Most people only think of the presidential vote, so if they can't vote for that they won't vote for the others. Which makes the coronavirus concerns asinine, why have any primaries at all if that's the concern?
The presidential primaries in NY are separated from the congressional ones, there were supposed to happen in April. They merged them with the congressional ones for the Coronavirus.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how Bernie "did the right thing" and they're beating him and the New York left over the head with it, while still demanding our vote. I expected nothing less from this party, specifically the New York machine, but damn this is brazen.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The republicans are probably loving this. I'm surprised Trump hasn't tweeted about how this is bad for Bernie and that they take people's ability to vote away.

The Republican party was canceled for the same reason (no competition) last month. Funny enough, at the time people were moaning that Cuomo scheduled the primary in a corrupt bid to boost turnout for down-ballot races. Now that it's canceled, it's because Cuomo wanted it canceled in a corrupt bid to suppress turnout for down-ballot races

www.politico.com

New York cancels Republican presidential primary

Nobody other than the president qualified for the ballot.

State Sen. Chris Jacobs, the Republican candidate running to fill the congressional seat previously occupied by Chris Collins, said that Cuomo scheduled the votes for the same time because he's a "very political person."

"This certainly makes a Republican seat more competitive for a Democrat," Jacobs said. "There will be Democrats coming out because there will be multiple presidential Democratic candidates. But I'm very confident — we have a plan to make sure we get the word out, and we have a very energized electorate who wants to show their support, hopefully of me, but more so of President Trump."

"Since Corrupt Cuomo put his thumb on the scale by scheduling special elections the same day, we are going to be working day and night to ensure strong Republican victories in the critical seats for congress and the state legislature," state GOP Chair Nick Langworthy said in a statement. "New Yorkers will reject Democrats' radical agenda and vote to return common sense to this state."

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not wild about the situation, but it's a situation.

I'm a little more stunned that so many people are ignorant regarding primaries aren't part of the Constitution. Or that even for the big parties the candidates were once chosen in private, smoke filled rooms. That any party can choose however they want.

I was taught this in 9th grade. In a rural public school. Not in a college prep or advanced placement class, either.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not wild about the situation, but it's a situation.

I'm a little more stunned that so many people are ignorant regarding primaries aren't part of the Constitution. Or that even for the big parties the candidates were once chosen in private, smoke filled rooms. That any party can choose however they want.

I was taught this in 9th grade. In a rural public school. Not in a college prep or advanced placement class, either.

yeah and "once" in this case is not even long ago. The system was changed to add even a veneer of public democracy only in the 70s

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in another thread- just give Bernie the delegates to influence the platform. Obviously Biden and Bernie like each other enough. It's a win-win for just about everyone except for the unfortunate few who didn't get to vote for their candidate of choice in upcoming elections.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I don't understand this very well.

The Presidential primary vote is off, but there's still polling places open for other races? Why don't they just do everything by mail in? Money issue?

And what happens to the delegates for the convention? Do they just not go because the state didn't vote?