• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get how she is shocked, a high risk placed like a restaurant going to be more strict.
A New York City waitress was fired from her job after she told her supervisors that she wanted to wait before she got the Covid-19 vaccine.

Bonnie Jacobson, of Brooklyn, said she was unexpectedly terminated from Red Hook Tavern on Monday, days after she expressed concern about how the vaccine affects fertility.

Jacobson said she and her husband had recently started trying to have a child, but their plans were put on hold after she lost her job in April due to the coronavirus pandemic.

After she began working at the tavern in August, she and her husband once again began planning for a child.

"I do support the vaccine. I'm not, as they say, an anti-vaxxer," Jacobson said in a phone interview on Wednesday, telling NBC News that she feels there is still a lack of research about how the vaccine affects pregnant women.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said that "the actual risks of mRNA vaccines to the pregnant person and her fetus are unknown because these vaccines have not been studied in pregnant women."

The agency said that researchers have such studies planned and that both Pfizer and Moderna are monitoring people in the clinical trials who became pregnant.

Jacobson, 34, said her manager initially understood her concerns and told her that getting vaccinated was not required.

But days later, the tavern changed course and on Feb. 12 workers received an email stating that vaccinations were mandatory.

"Please be advised that we will require that all employees receive the vaccination," the email, which Jacobson provided to NBC News, said.

This will be mandatory for all existing employees and any new hires. The exception to this policy will be if your own personal health or disability prohibits you from obtaining this vaccination. We encourage you to consult your healthcare professional to determine if getting a vaccine is right for you."

Jacobson said she emailed her job and said that she did not want to get the vaccine at this point and needed more time.

"While I fully support the vaccine and understand its importance I do believe this is a very personal choice. I really hope this choice would not affect my employment at Red Hook Tavern," she wrote to her boss. "Also once there is more research to support that it does not affect fertility I would reconsider my position."

Two days after she sent her email, she was told that she had been fired.

"It was really impersonal. I was honestly shocked," she said. "My gut reaction was to just say, 'OK. Fine, I'll get it. I need my job.' But that just didn't sit right with me. I was like, 'Actually, I don't think that's right. I don't think that's the choice I need to be making here.' "

Red Hook Tavern's owner Billy Durney acknowledged that the situation could have been handled differently.

"Once New York state allowed restaurant workers to receive the Covid-19 vaccine, we thought this was the perfect opportunity to put a plan in place to keep our team and guests safe. No one has faced these challenges before and we made a decision that we thought would best protect everyone," he said in an emailed statement.

"And, we now realize that we need to update our policy so it's clear to our team how the process works and what we can do to support them. We're making these changes immediately."

www.nbcnews.com

New York City waitress fired after not getting the Covid-19 vaccine

Bonnie Jacobson, of Brooklyn, said her manager initially understood her concerns about the vaccine's effect on pregnancy and told her vaccination wasn't required.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I get her concern, but she can't be shocked. She works face to face with clients. Of course that wasn't gonna slide.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
"While I fully support the vaccine and understand its importance I do believe this is a very personal choice.

Its not a personal choice. Its a public safety issue and you really dont understand it at all. If youre in a public facing occupation, then you get the vaccine.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I feel she has a valid concern, especially around the impact on the vaccine with fertility 🤷‍♂️, but I don't have an issue with a business requiring a vaccination to work in a public facing business like that.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly would be the mechanisms than an mRNA vaccine would affect fertility. The vaccines that are not allowed during pregnancy are live vaccines. I suppose I can understand although the vaccines safety in pregnancy will have to be proven after coming to market.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I get her concern, but she can't be shocked. She works face to face with clients. Of course that wasn't gonna slide.

I guess it seems harsh when they were allowed to work for the past year without a vaccine available. If they maintained the same safety precautions then nothing should be different.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
And all is right with the world.

Edit - Reread and see that she's pregnant. I get the hesitation but I don't know the history of vaccines well enough to comment if she is doing the right thing.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
That company is probably looking at a lawsuit.
No. The EEOC has strongly signaled that outside of what constitutes disabilities under the ADA (and perhaps religious beliefs), that an employer can require an employee to be vaccinated. And even then, the employer can go around ADA requirements in the interest of a safe workplace, which means it could be non-negotiable depending on the work.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Misogynist Rhetoric; Concern Trolling Around Pregnancy
The argument about having a baby sounds fishy, she should ask herself why being pregnant during a pandemic than being worried about the effects of a vaccine during pregnancy.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it seems harsh when they were allowed to work for the past year without a vaccine available. If they maintained the same safety precautions then nothing should be different.
I dont agree with this the vaccine was not available until recently, she going to put her and her family ay much greater risk. What happens if she gets covid or give to to someone else at the restaurant?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the path she should have taken would be to...do as the company said, consult with her doctor about whether it was appropriate for her to have the jab, and if not, provide that evidence to her place of employment. Not just email them and basically going "No" without the backing of a medical professional

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The argument about having a baby sounds fishy, she should ask herself why being pregnant during a pandemic than being worried about the effects of a vaccine during pregnancy.

what? So people who are pregnant shouldn't worry about impact of vaccines on pregnancies?

hell, the CDC even came out and said it was unknown what kind of impact the vaccine would have on pregnancies. Now I think the company is in their right to require the vaccine, but I feel she has a valid concern.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very pro-vaccine, but I'm just waiting for the research to come in on whether or not it allows Bill Gates to track you.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Have mRNA vaccines been known to be dangerous to pregnant women in the past?

Also couldn't she just wait like a month after being vaccinated to try for a kid. It seems weird to put yourself and others at risk to deadly pandemic because of this.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
And all is right with the world.

Edit - Reread and see that she's pregnant. I get the hesitation but I don't know the history of vaccines well enough to comment if she is doing the right thing.
She's not pregnant yet. She's concerned about its effects on her fertility. I have a pregnant friend and their doctor encouraged them to get a vaccination if offered. There's no evidence or indication it has an affect on fertility nor pregnancy per the CDC. COVID is much more dangerous.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I dont agree with this the vaccine was not available until recently, she going to put her and her family ay much greater risk. What happens if she gets covid or give to to someone else at the restaurant?

The vaccine is for your personal health safety, not others. You can get exposed to COVID after being vaccinated, and transmit that to someone that isn't. You'd be asymptomatic. The other person most likely not.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I guess things are different in NY? I wouldn't think she would qualify for the vaccine to begin with?

Sounds like a juicy lawsuit though.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did she even have the opportunity to get it yet? Seems a little weird to fire her over hesitancy to get it in the future rather than an active denial once the opportunity arises

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So she was a waitress during a period when indoor dining was mostly closed? So not even directly interacting with customers much? Even outdoor dining was closed and/or heavily restricted during that period here in NYC.

Not sure how she would even be eligible for the vaccine yet.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
She's not pregnant yet. She's concerned about its effects on her fertility. I have a pregnant friend and their doctor encouraged them to get a vaccination if offered. There's no evidence or indication it has an affect on fertility nor pregnancy per the CDC. COVID is much more dangerous.

Is that something that's been tested thoroughly? I'm not a anti vaxxer or anything, but it seems like it rolled out pretty quick. Wonder if there is any data on that. Gonna Google for a bit lol.

EDIT; How did I miss your link? Thank you. Gonna read up.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Good, she was fired, this is not a personal choice it is something we all have to do and we share as a community.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Well that just changes everything. Your life and the life of others is not worth your fertility.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
The vaccine is for your personal health safety, not others. You can get exposed to COVID after being vaccinated, and transmit that to someone that isn't. You'd be asymptomatic. The other person most likely not.

We actually don't know if vaccinated people can transmit or to what extent compared to people who aren't vaccinated.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Is that something that's been tested thoroughly? I'm not a anti vaxxer or anything, but it seems like it rolled out pretty quick. Wonder if there is any data on that. Gonna Google for a bit lol.
I mean no vaccine has ever been indicated to cause issues with fertility. Fertility issues are also extremely complicated and often can't even be pinpointed to a single factor. As for people who are currently pregnant, I linked the CDC link, there is limited data but most evidence indicates its safe while we know that COVID is very dangerous for people who are pregnant.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I mean no vaccine has ever been indicated to cause issues with fertility. Fertility issues are also extremely complicated and often can't even be pinpointed to a single factor. As for people who are currently pregnant, I linked the CDC link, there is limited data but most evidence indicates its safe while we know that COVID is very dangerous for people who are pregnant.

I missed that was an actual link the first time. I got it open now. Thanks for sharing that.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pregnant people are usually not included in studies. And people trying to be pregnant seems difficult to track.

Either way, the indications is that there isn't a risk and doctors advise getting the shot since pregnancy itself is apparently a complication for Covid.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
what? So people who are pregnant shouldn't worry about impact of vaccines on pregnancies?

hell, the CDC even came out and said it was unknown what kind of impact the vaccine would have on pregnancies. Now I think the company is in their right to require the vaccine, but I feel she has a valid concern.
Yeah this is a pretty understandable point.

At least the company outlined it will impact a better plan in the future to handle rollouts

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
"Jacobson said she and her husband had recently started trying to have a child, but their plans were put on hold after she lost her job in April due to the coronavirus pandemic."

They're trying to have a kid, there's been zero completed studies about the affects of mNRA vaccines on the fetus. Presuming that she's being honest about her concerns, I think the business shouldn't have fired her. Instead she should've been placed on leave without pay.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Pregnant people are usually not included in studies. And people trying to be pregnant seems difficult to track.

Either way, the indications is that there isn't a risk and doctors advise getting the shot since pregnancy itself is apparently a complication for Covid.

Now that I'm reading about it and thinking more its kind of common sense. This might be a stupid question, but if someone is pregnant and gets vaccinated would the child kind of be vaccinated too? Haven't discovered that yet.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting. They fired her simply because of an off hand comment. Not like the vaccine was available to her yet.. It would be very different if it was actually possible for her to get it.
This almost feels like an excuse to get rid of an employee.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
"Jacobson said she and her husband had recently started trying to have a child, but their plans were put on hold after she lost her job in April due to the coronavirus pandemic."

They're trying to have a kid, there's been zero completed studies about the affects of mNRA vaccines on the fetus. Presuming that she's being honest about her concerns, I think the business shouldn't have fired her. Instead she should've been placed on leave without pay.
ether way if a employee is in a public facing role (a waitress in this case) and refuse to get the vaccine they should ether be fired, or leave without pay. businesses should not be forced to pay/employ people who refuse public safety standards ( getting the vaccine in this case)

Coolverine

May 7, 2018

yeah, me and my partner are 22 weeks pregnant and she just got round one of the vaccine. i was very hesitant about the vaccine many weeks ago when she expressed she'd consider taking it, since then, we've read the information available to us and doctors only advise that her getting COVID while pregnant can be very very bad. so it seemed worth getting it now. we shall see what happens.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's the part that's confusing me. I can't imagine a 34 year old restaurant worker is high on the eligibility list. So is this all about a vaccine she can't even get yet anyway?
Lots of stuff makes very little sense in that article. I live in NYC and am very plugged in to what's going on with restaurants and vaccine eligibility.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If somebody *can't* get a vaccine for a variety of reasons, then it's messed up to lose your job over it. If you're just anti-vax in general, though, then I'm ok with employers showing people the door for refusing to respect a serious public health issue like COVID-19. I've even advocated for tying employment to one's willingness to get this vaccine. If people want to refuse it, then one of the many unemployed people in the US would happily fill their spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.