• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
The thing that boggles my mind is, these businesses are getting less money because of transaction fees. So it must really be in their best interest to give up money to not have to deal with large amounts of cash every day?

Oct 28, 2017
Use your cash to hire security?

I'm arguing that going cashless is to the absolute detriment of consumers. Pure and simple.

A business generally has far more of an ability to plan for outliers such as burglary of said cash than consumers (especially those that are struggling financially) have to go cashless.

We not supposed to use cash cause someone might steal it? Get some insurance. Hire security. Utilize best practices for storing and moving large amounts of cash. Businesses have been doing this forever and I see no reason to screw over poor folks that might not have a bank account for that reason.
You talk ask if your solutions are always feasible without risking their business. It's easy to say that when you're only issuing the risk instead of taking it on. I'm not entirely against the idea of the bill, but people really are ignoring the genuine need to not take cash in some cases. I think the bill shouldn't apply to very small businesses. It's common to allow less strict rules on smaller businesses.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They aren't doing it because they care about poor people, they are doing it because they have fears about technology and trying to justify it after the fact. Did any one of them stop and think that person making minimum wage is also losing an extra 2%-5% off the top because they are cashing their paycheck at a counter at the grocery store? They don't care that bank accounts improve financial outcomes and are foundational to any sort of finance. This was never about helping people. They'd rather treat banking as an intractable problem so they can keep their unhygienic paper currency they've always known. Secure and easy access to one's own financial assets should be treated as a human rights issue, if people are moving on that's a sign to move the bottom line on what's acceptable.

No-cash businesses effectively blocking out the poor and disenfranchised is what motivated the city council bill in the first place. It's real and goes beyond a fear of tech.

The reason a lot of people cash their paychecks instead of depositing them in a bank account is

1/ they may not have a bank account; they may not be able to open one.
2/ they live so tightly paycheck-to-paycheck, they may not be able to wait for the bank to clear their check. they may want to eat dinner that night.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No-cash businesses effectively blocking out the poor and disenfranchised is what motivated the city council bill in the first place. It's real and goes beyond a fear of tech.

The reason a lot of people cash their paychecks instead of depositing them in a bank account is

1/ they may not have a bank account; they may not be able to open one.
2/ they live so tightly paycheck-to-paycheck, they may not be able to wait for the bank to clear their check. they may want to eat dinner that night.
That people actually get paid with an actual cheque is ridiculous too, why is the whole American payment/banking system so backwards?

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
I can see the appeal of going cashless, less chance of getting robbed. Best just to have both, but if it is discrimination can we do the same for cash only? It would be nice if there was a national cashless option that didn't charge stores interest. That way it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
In the US, unless you have direct deposit or opened an account during a limited time promotion, banks charge a monthly fee.
This is 100% true. I couldn't even get most of my bosses to do direct deposit because it was "Too much work, why do payroll when I can just write a check?" or "Sorry, we lost your voided check and paperwork lmao."

so for the longest time it was "Wait three days for my check to clear after depositing it in my bank account that I pay for," or "eat the 12 dollar fee the bank charges for cashing it." Rent was due. No time to wait.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This is 100% true. I couldn't even get most of my bosses to do direct deposit because it was "Too much work, why do payroll when I can just write a check?" or "Sorry, we lost your voided check and paperwork lmao."

so for the longest time it was "Wait three days for my check to clear after depositing it in my bank account that I pay for," or "eat the 12 dollar fee the bank charges for cashing it." Rent was due. No time to wait.

This is surprising to me. My work has pressured everyone into getting direct deposit because they didn't want to write a bunch of checks every month.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

That is a bunch of bunk. I have my own business and will only pay my employees through direct deposit through ADP. It is very simple and costs me less than a buck per instance. Your boss is just plain lazy.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
This backwards-thinking sentiment of going back to cash from cashless is as baffling to a European as the US love of guns ;)

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
This is surprising to me. My work has pressured everyone into getting direct deposit because they didn't want to write a bunch of checks every month.
That is a bunch of bunk. I have my own business and will only pay my employees through direct deposit through ADP. It is very simple and costs me less than a buck per instance. Your boss is just plain lazy.
Yeah, but don't tell him he's lazy, or you get fired.

Complain, you might get fired. Ask too many questions, you might get fired.
That job is all you have. It took you months to get it after the last one fired you for getting the flu and you refused to handle peoples' food like that. You don't have any savings.
From pay cards instead of checks or direct deposit to personal checks from a payroll account, to "I'll pay you some now and the rest tomorrow," this is what it's like to actually be poor.
And don't forget, "Surprise, you're technically self-employed contractor even though I told you you weren't, make sure to pay your taxes you can't afford to pay."

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I have known people with awful credit that couldn't get a new account opened anywhere. Places going cashless would have fucked them so bad. As much as I love being cashless personally, stuff like that will need to be addressed.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, but don't tell him he's lazy, or you get fired.

Complain, you might get fired. Ask too many questions, you might get fired.
That job is all you have. It took you months to get it after the last one fired you for getting the flu and you refused to handle peoples' food like that. You don't have any savings.

Sounds like a shitty place to work. I'm not going to give you advice you probably don't want, but I personally wouldn't put up with a person like that.

From pay cards instead of checks or direct deposit to personal checks from a payroll account, to "I'll pay you some now and the rest tomorrow," this is what it's like to actually be poor.

My work does pay cards or direct deposit as your only choices. No one wants to deal with the awful pay cars, so everyone got direct deposit. Though direct deposit is very convenient anyway.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a shitty place to work. I'm not going to give you advice you probably don't want, but I personally wouldn't put up with a person like that.

My work does pay cards or direct deposit as your only choices. No one wants to deal with the awful pay cars, so everyone got direct deposit. Though direct deposit is very convenient anyway.
Oh no, I'm in a real job now that pays by check, pay card, or direct deposit, and set up my direct deposit easily enough this time, but that was a stretch of ten years where everything I did or didn't do cost money and time I didn't have.
So yeah, it does very much affect things.
Now I'm more worried about places not accepting cards, but there isn't a 20 cents + 3% fee on cash, so it's understandable.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Couldn't you also say businesses have the right not to pay the costs caused by having to deal with cash?

Don't see a big deal of it being banned though I guess. Not using cash is getting more common and I think eventually there will just be a reduction in the terminals that accept cash, which will could still make it a pain to use it. At the grocery store near me I think the majority of the self checkouts are debit/credit only, but they also have regular lines.
Any self-checkout line I've seen accepts cash too. I mean, it's technology that's been around for quite awhile with vending machines. It's not some exotic new concept for there to be even an automated cash option.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
Any self-checkout line I've seen accepts cash too. I mean, it's technology that's been around for quite awhile with vending machines. It's not some exotic new concept for there to be even an automated cash option.

Huh..I know they aren't new, but the new aspect I have been noticing is that most of them are debit/credit with only 1-2 offering cash.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
looking around at some fine print, checking accounts are usually free IF you have a direct deposit linked of a certain amount every month

aka not free for people without a steady income

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
looking around at some fine print, checking accounts are usually free IF you have a direct deposit linked of a certain amount every month

aka not free for people without a steady income
Yes plenty of national brick and mortar banks offer free checking. But only if you direct deposit, keep a certain minimum balance, go paperless for statements, etc.

There are truly free online banking options. But there are still barriers to access for online banking for a number of reasons.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get why people would rather not use cash, I barely do anymore. But to outright want it halted everywhere is weird. Less choice as a consumer is not a good thing just because you don't use that method yourself.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
It's obvious from this thread who's never been in poverty.

The reason businesses want to go cashless has nothing to do with "getting robbed." It's because handling money requires labor and the owners don't want to pay for that labor (even with automated systems, someone has to collect & restock them).

The exclusion of the poor is also intentional, especially in gentrifying neighborhoods.

This is both warranted and necessary legislation.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Cash should always be an option.

To those with the galaxy-brain response of "checking accounts are free" they also tend to require at least two forms of ID to open. For someone homeless who doesn't have immediate access to a birth certificate, Social Security Card, or any other form of ID, this isn't just as easy as walking into a Wells Fargo and asking to open an account for a debit card.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great step forward.

Now ban cash only places as well.

A large portion of them have ATMs in the restaurant with inflated transaction fees, some as high as $8. It is a total racket.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
And boy do they accept cash just suck it right up so much better than soda machines.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This is a great step forward.

Now ban cash only places as well.

A large portion of them have ATMs in the restaurant with inflated transaction fees, some as high as $8. It is a total racket.

This. There's a burger place next to my school that's actually really good, but is cash only, and they have an ATM inside that charges a crazy fee. Fuck that. I avoid the place.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This. There's a burger place next to my school that's actually really good, but is cash only, and they have an ATM inside that charges a crazy fee. Fuck that. I avoid the place.

Yeah. It really pisses me off that they cry about how much money credit card companies take from them which forces them to be cash only, then they turn around and rob their customers by jacking up the transaction fee in their ATM.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Mike Bloomberg should give every NYC resident a bank card and give them a monthly stipend. Call it Bloombux.

Start our own UBI.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Good....sometimes debit cards get Funky, hell even accounts get funky.

I had to cancel a whole bank account once and make a new one (after having them give me several new cards ) it's like my account had some weird bug in the system they couldn't fix that would always decline my cards. So I was forced to use cash for weeks. (Was able to use my card no problem online or at gas stations though) but if I tried to swipe or insert chip. Always denied. So yeah....cash will always be useful and should never be denied. Stores are ridiculous

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Good move.

Cash only is fine. As a business, if I don't want to deal with fraud, charge backs, fees or shit just not working, it's my right to avoid it. Don't like it, shop somewhere else. Personally, I wouldn't operate that way, but if people want to, so be it.

However, if I ever start a dollar slice joint or dollar grilled cheese truck, you're goddamn right I'm only accepting cash. I ain't got time for you to fumble around with you fucking NFC bullshit and credit card that won't swipe. You gimme a dollar, you get a slice or a sandwich. Don't ask for change or anything else.