• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Suprised they're doing the opposite of what we did here in europe which was closing all restaurants and bars while keeping schools open as long as possible.
29vu.gif

Simple as that. Opening one generates revenue, opening the other costs. An actual responsible civilization would have paid the bar/restaurant industry to stay closed for 6 months and done everything possible to keep schools open, but unfortunately we have this civilization.

Oct 27, 2017
Fwiw I see like 99% compliance but I'm not hanging out with the young people (or anyone frequently) and don't leave the neighborhood much.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Friends that still are in NYC told me that the teachers are not adapting or trying our basically paying hookie. One showed me a screenshot of a teacher walking their dog while "teaching." My new district most kids are remote, but the teachers are still on the classroom with the kids that are there.

You need to stop with this shit. It's disrespectful to the teachers who are working extremely hard dealing with the unideal circumstances they and everyone else are out in. There are "bad teachers" everywhere, just as every group has. You know very well that what you saw doesn't represent teachers in the city as a whole.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I think that if someone were to throw a cheesecake into Governor Cuomo's grimacing face a jury of their peers would not vote to convict!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
NJ reporting in!

We've been seeing a surge in cases; I'm honestly just waiting for us to go into the inevitable State of Emergency again and shut everything down just as we did in March/April.

My prediction is a Thanksgiving weekend shut; once kids come home from school and families come home we will shut down.

Scary shit man.

It's happening. Checkout you local Costco and you will notice the lack or incredibly low volume of TP and essentials.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
29vu.gif

Simple as that. Opening one generates revenue, opening the other costs. An actual responsible civilization would have paid the bar/restaurant industry to stay closed for 6 months and done everything possible to keep schools open, but unfortunately we have this civilization.
State level has a limited budget, so blame the feds, really.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Fwiw I see like 99% compliance but I'm not hanging out with the young people (or anyone frequently) and don't leave the neighborhood much.
Compliance with what? Masks? Yeah everyone wears masks but young (and not so young!) people are wearing masks... to go to indoor parties with other people.

The attitude since August has been "well I haven't caught it yet and wear masks out so I can do w/e I want now indoors".

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People vote for Cuomo because nobody else runs credibly.

If a viable candidate runs and their argument isn't "fuck Cuomo", "fuck NYC" or "fuck the establishment", they'll have a shot (if they're credibly capable of running in the Democratic Party). Until then, Cuomo is hard to beat...and frankly, people outside of NYC tolerate him because he shits on NYC as a matter of principle.
That's because Cuomo runs the NY machine politics in his favor to keep him in power. No one credible is running against him yet because it isn't their "turn". We need an credible outsider to challenge Cuomo but good luck finding one.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Which part?

The part where people aren't socially distancing, wearing masks like they should, and adhering to limited social gatherings?

Because every local outbreak I've seen ignores all of the above.

It's entirely possible to catch the virus wearing a mask and socially distancing. Blaming people for having caught it is just shifting responsibility.

I can't believe people need to be told this like 9 months into this thing.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's entirely possible to catch the virus wearing a mask and socially distancing. Blaming people for having caught it is just shifting responsibility.

I can't believe people need to be told this like 9 months into this thing.

??

I work in healthcare. It's not victim blaming to suggest that people aren't fucking listening to public health care guidelines and doing whatever they want to do.

How many contact tracers are you in contact with? Shifting responsibility... Holy shit.

I can't believe people need to be told this 9 months into this thing.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
??

I work in healthcare. It's not victim blaming to suggest that people aren't fucking listening to public health care guidelines and doing whatever they want to do.

How many contact tracers are you in contact with? Shifting responsibility... Holy shit.

It's victim blaming to say if you caught it you, individually, did something wrong! He calls it self imposed and he even analogizes it to having a weight problem because you eat cheesecake too much!

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My school in CT shut down, but only the high school in our district, and only because we had like 13 cases in the span of a week. Positivity rate has been at over 5% for a week but that had no say in it.

Dec 12, 2017
??

The point is that masks aren't fool proof. Thus you can't assume that the people who catch it weren't being careful or following guidelines.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's victim blaming to say if you caught it you, individually, did something wrong! He calls it self imposed and he even analogizes it to having a weight problem because you eat cheesecake too much!

Literally every single cluster of infections in my county, that I am aware of, began because of a large social gathering where people were not wearing masks. As a whole, my county has been doing a good job in keeping infections down, and while there may be a smattering of cases in a school where people are following mandates (I mean a case or two), almost every large scale outbreak can be traced back to a party or gathering where people were not wearing masks or distancing.

From a public health perspective, he's correct. Yes it is of course possible to become ill even if you're following the guidelines, but that also means that you are wearing a mask and thus unlikely to spread it to anyone else.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which part?

The part where people aren't socially distancing, wearing masks like they should, and adhering to limited social gatherings?

It's 100% wrong and misleading unless you somehow think that America's obesity problem exists simply because people didn't know when to stop eating. It completely ignores all the systemic problems and shifts all blame onto the individual in a situation where we know that you can still be harmed even if you yourself consistently do the right thing. Besides just being wrong, it isn't helpful coming from a public figure, it won't inspire anyone to be more cautious, it just makes you want to tell Cuomo to fuck off, and rightfully so. It's an embarrassing look at an incompetent leader

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's 100% wrong and misleading unless you somehow think that America's obesity problem exists simply because people didn't know when to stop eating. It completely ignores all the systemic problems and shifts all blame onto the individual in a situation where we know that you can still be harmed even if you yourself consistently do the right thing. Besides just being wrong, it isn't helpful coming from a public figure, it won't inspire anyone to be more cautious, it just makes you want to tell Cuomo to fuck off, and rightfully so. It's an embarrassing look at an incompetent leader

The comparison is incorrect and in poor taste, I should have been more specific in my agreement with his larger point, that as a public health crisis following the guidelines would largely prevent increases in infections.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Literally every single cluster of infections in my county, that I am aware of, began because of a large social gathering where people were not wearing masks. As a whole, my county has been doing a good job in keeping infections down, and while there may be a smattering of cases in a school where people are following mandates (I mean a case or two), almost every large scale outbreak can be traced back to a party or gathering where people were not wearing masks or distancing.

From a public health perspective, he's correct. Yes it is of course possible to become ill even if you're following the guidelines, but that also means that you are wearing a mask and thus unlikely to spread it to anyone else.

Not everybody who catches it went to a party or a gathering, even if the source of a new outbreak is a party or gathering.

This is why individualizing the blame and saying it's like getting fat is such nonsense advice!

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not everybody who catches it went to a party or a gathering, even if the source of a new outbreak is a party or gathering.

This is why individualizing the blame and saying it's like getting fat is such nonsense advice!
Im sure a lot of people are catching it at work, for example.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which part?

You're catching a lot of heat but you're not wrong. Cuomo fucked up with the cheesecake part but the rest? He's not wrong.

People are not fucking listening.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's wrong even without the cheesecake part because it's possible to catch it doing everything right, and ergo not self imposed.

#notallcovidcases

Give me a break. Just because some people got it from doing everything right doesn't mean a truckload of people aren't fucking things up massively for everyone at the moment by not giving enough shits about it.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
#notallcovidcases

Give me a break. Just because some people got it from doing everything right doesn't mean a truckload of people aren't fucking things up massively at the moment by not giving enough shits about it.

Again ignoring how contagious this virus is. It doesn't take many people acting irresponsibly to cause exponential spread amongst everyone else.

Im sure a lot of people are catching it at work, for example.

Homes too. There's a reason schools are being shut. Kids are spreading it to their families.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again ignoring how contagious this virus is. It doesn't take many people acting irresponsibly to cause exponential spread amongst everyone else.

I'm not ignoring it, one of the reasons y'all (US) are at n1 is straight up because it isn't just a few bad apples, but the entire basket is rotten and the good ones are dying because of that.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I'm not ignoring it, one of the reasons y'all (US) are at n1 is straight up because it isn't just a few bad apples, but the entire basket is rotten and the good ones are dying because of that.

America is at number one in the world because of it's woeful systemic response to the pandemic.

Sporadic or inadequate lockdowns, no adequate or continuing stimulus to keep people from working, misinformation about the virus being spread from the Federal government, awful contact tracing and testing facilities, the list goes on.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You're completely underestimating how contagious this virus is.
Look at the borough by borough numbers. It's Staten Island dragging the city's numbers up. They're at 4.3% right today (they were 4.7% yesterday). The Bronx is 3.8%. Brooklyn's at 2.6, Manhattan at 2.4, Queens at 3.3. (All according to the state's numbers via the contact tracing app) Staten Island is dragging the City's numbers way up and there's been a lot of reports of people there straight up not wearing masks. The numbers are going up because, as you say, it's crazy contagious, but it's no coincidence that the borough that hasn't been following guidelines is so much higher than the rest.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to fix the neighborhoods such that the tax bases of them would guarantee every district receive a base high quality of output for kids. I don't care what anyone thinks, you're not going to convince me that Bayside and Douglaston, Queens are getting the same amount of funding that East New York and Bushwick, Brooklyn are - even ignoring the "interesting" and

There is a unaccounted for difference in PTA activities, but NYC is a singular district with a singular tax base throughout.
Nobody wants to have kids doing remote school forever, or even at all. But nobody who feels this way seems to have an answer beyond "unions/pensions are too expensive", "government bureaucracy/regulations are bad" and "just let everything be open, let god sort things out".

You are implying a few things there. My son's district is unionized and is public. If you think about it the only political discourse in NYC about schools is entirely funding. There is zero political effort towards the actual hardwork of managing the school district. Like a incredible amount of the city/states institutions, additional funding (precovid) is the only discussion, not success.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
We should have never lifted lockdown. We eased restrictions, companies got cocky as fuck and forced people back into offices, school leadership is rotten to the fucking core and were drooling at the idea of getting everyone back into the buildings and look at where we are? Days away from another phase 1 lockdown.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
America is at number one in the world because of it's woeful systemic response to the pandemic.

Sporadic or inadequate lockdowns, no adequate or continuing stimulus to keep people from working, misinformation about the virus being spread from the Federal government, awful contact tracing and testing facilities, the list goes on.

I feel you're neglecting to mention something rather important... Like, for instance, that 40% of the country refuses to wear masks. Ever. At any time.

Why?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I feel you're neglecting to mention something rather important... Like, for instance, that 40% of the country refuses to wear masks. Ever. At any time.

Why?

Misinformation from the Federal government, one of the reasons I listed.

Mask wearing became a political issue because the GOP wanted to downplay the severity of the virus, and if everyone suddenly wore masks, that'd be a very hard to sell.

Dec 12, 2017
Look at the borough by borough numbers. It's Staten Island dragging the city's numbers up. They're at 4.3% right today (they were 4.7% yesterday). The Bronx is 3.8%. Brooklyn's at 2.6, Manhattan at 2.4, Queens at 3.3. (All according to the state's numbers via the contact tracing app) Staten Island is dragging the City's numbers way up and there's been a lot of reports of people there straight up not wearing masks. The numbers are going up because, as you say, it's crazy contagious, but it's no coincidence that the borough that hasn't been following guidelines is so much higher than the rest.
Did you forget the first wave so quickly?? Where Sapphire blue districts were getting hammered?

Dec 12, 2017
We should have never lifted lockdown. We eased restrictions, companies got cocky as fuck and forced people back into offices, school leadership is rotten to the fucking core and were drooling at the idea of getting everyone back into the buildings and look at where we are? Days away from another phase 1 lockdown.
We know that was never feasible. Citizens and small businesses get next to no help from the federal government. It's not economically viable.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Misinformation about the virus being spread from the federal government"

... And there is absolutely no responsibility here for people who willingly refuse to listen to credible figures and data in lieu of whatever they're being spoon-fed by Trump apologists and cultists?

Really?

Man, I'm not exactly a bootstraps kind of guy but at some point you have to point the finger at people who are refusing to listen to reason.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
... And there is absolutely no responsibility here for people who willingly refuse to listen to credible figures and data in lieu of whatever they're being spoon-fed by Trump apologists and cultists?

Really?

Man, I'm not exactly a bootstraps kind of guy but at some point you have to point the finger at people who are refusing to listen to reason.

No fuck those people but they spread it to people doing the right thing which is why it's so frustrating.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No fuck those people but they spread it to people doing the right thing which is why it's so frustrating.

Agreed.

I don't really believe Cuomo was referencing the people doing the right thing and getting sick anyway, but rather the assholes who have huge parties (usually kids), infect 30-40 people, and start a new cluster. I see multiple teachers across different districts who all work at schools that closed due to this story, or something just like it.

Again, it *is* possible to get Covid-19 even when following guidelines- But there wouldn't be community spread. The chain would break relatively early on if everyone were following guidelines. That just isn't the case.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
There is a unaccounted for difference in PTA activities, but NYC is a singular district with a singular tax base throughout.

You are implying a few things there. My son's district is unionized and is public. If you think about it the only political discourse in NYC about schools is entirely funding. There is zero political effort towards the actual hardwork of managing the school district. Like a incredible amount of the city/states institutions, additional funding (precovid) is the only discussion, not success.

I thought you used to live in NYC? NYC's Dept of Ed is a singular department, but there are many school districts in each borough, and the relative quality of the schools in each district are "coincidentally" roughly correlated to the demographics of the neighborhood that district serves. The tax base is singular, but the quality of the facilities and the funding each school receives also is roughly correlated to the demographics of that neighborhood. Again - and you would know this if you lived, or have ever lived here - there is no secret that the quality of schools in Forest Hills are going to be better than the quality of schools in Mott Haven. It's up to you to guess why that is.

I'm also not saying your district in your new location isn't unionized or public or anything else. I am saying, however, that it's unlikely that whereever you are, your public school system serves 1 million kids. I'm also imagining the demography of whereever you are likely facilitates a more equitable distribution of the taxes/funding of your less extended, less population-rich school system.

Finally, I'm not even saying that the schools need more or less funding. What I'm saying is that most people who criticize the system tends to talk about how much money it costs or provides disingenuous/irrelevant reasons for why it costs so much (simultaneously ignoring the sheer volume of people it must serve), but not the other issues that preclude even the legit non-"it's too expensive" problems that are worth talking about.

How can we talk about student success if there's no fair comparison between John Adams High School in Queens and Cardozo High School (also in Queens)? Explain to me why those schools are located in the same borough, but differ so wildly in services rendered/service quality for students? Both of these schools are in residential nabes with home owners primarily...but only the demographics served are different. If the tax base is similar, certainly both schools should be of similar quality (and we could just criticize the students or teachers purely for any lack of success at one of them), right?

[EDIT: I won't keep going back and forth on this topic if I'm derailing, sorry y'all!]

Last edited:

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Agreed.

I don't really believe Cuomo was referencing the people doing the right thing and getting sick anyway, but rather the assholes who have huge parties (usually kids), infect 30-40 people, and start a new cluster. I see multiple teachers across different districts who all work at schools that closed due to this story, or something just like it.

Again, it *is* possible to get Covid-19 even when following guidelines- But there wouldn't be community spread. The chain would break relatively early on if everyone were following guidelines. That just isn't the case.

Speaking from someone that works at a COVID test site, its not just that. These people who come for a test literally walk into the store to try and figure out where to go, yet there are signs posted everywhere stating you shouldn't be entering the building if you are experiencing the symptoms. It's a huge problem with the attitude people have of "it's just the flu" or "I'll be fine". It always has been, and every generation is responsible in some way for this line of thinking. Corporate America isn't helping either because we have 0 time to clean or sanitize and for some strange fucking reason we are opened later for the holiday season (literally just the front end).