• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
I'd love to see a clear and digestible breakdown of the self dealing, money laundering, and corruption.
I want to see names and organizations involved.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
NRA members will be furious about this and, curiously, also furious about their tax money being used for social services.

LOL, what NRA members? Other people in this thread are correct that the majority of gun owners in this country haven't been fond of the NRA for ages. I've interacted with some of these people - in the deep south no less. The word has actually gotten around that the NRA doesn't actually care about any of them, which is why they've been ditching their memberships en-masse.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
So the NY AG has been working on this since April 2019, which then got leaked to the bunker and prompted this tweet.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/27/politics/nra-new-york-investigation/index.html - April 2019 announcement of investigation (which Trump was responding to at the time)
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nra-subpoenas-dc-attorney-general_n_5d28b79fe4b02a5a5d5a3370 - July 2019 subpoenas from DC AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/us/nra-board-subpoena-letitia-james.html - August 2019 NYT article about expanding the investigation to NRA leadership
https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/201...nras-attempt-interfere-official-investigation - Oct 2019 statement from AG
https://www.law.com/newyorklawjourn...its-former-ad-agency-to-comply-with-subpoena/ -Feb 2020 article about ad agency having to comply with subpoenas

It's all been there in the background. I can try and find the announcement thread in the resetERA archives, but I'm sure the replies are filled with "nothing will come of this".

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome.

Would be really awesome if the Virginia AG also joins up with D.C and NY since the NRA is currently headquartered in Virginia.

My dad used to be a hunter growing up and told me the NRA of the 1940s/1950s was totally different from the NRA of today, the NRA was originally for advocating for gun safety and responsible gun ownership. He told me that when Wayne LaPierre and his flunkies got involved with the NRA, that's when it got turned into the current organization. My dad was a lifetime member of the NRA until he saw what LaPierre and his flunkies were doing so he immediately sent in his cancellation of his lifetime membership of the NRA.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's been apparent when the russian money dried up they were stealing everything that wasn't nailed down

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome.

Would be really awesome if the Virginia AG also joins up with D.C and NY since the NRA is currently headquartered in Virginia.

My dad used to be a hunter growing up and told me the NRA of the 1940s/1950s was totally different from the NRA of today, the NRA was originally for advocating for gun safety and responsible gun ownership. He told me that when Wayne LaPierre and his flunkies got involved with the NRA, that's when it got turned into the current organization. My dad was a lifetime member of the NRA until he saw what LaPierre and his flunkies were doing so he immediately sent in his cancellation of his lifetime membership of the NRA.

My dad was an antique gun collector and got me an NRA membership as a little kid. He despises the organization now as well.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
A visit to the wayback machine:

www.resetera.com

NRA subpoenaed by D.C. attorney general for financial documents, NRA breaking nonprofit regulation?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/dc-attorney-general-issues-subpoenas-to-nra-its-charitable-foundation/2019/07/12/835bb30e-a4bb-11e9-bd56-eac6bb02d01d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f9678bee0114 NRA keeps taking hits from left and right.

www.resetera.com

NRA shuts down production of NRATV

Nah, it was more about mishandling of funds from the top exec/s causing investigations and outrage among members who stopped donating. Wayne supposedly was spending 20k on suits and paying big bucks of the NRAs money to house female interns. People are irritated that he can't be ousted since he...

www.resetera.com

(The Guardian) ‘The NRA is in grave danger’: group's troubles are blow to Trump's 2020 bid

‘The NRA is in grave danger’: group's troubles are blow to Trump's 2020 bid https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/06/nra-trump-2020-campaign-new-york-investigation It feels like there are articles like this every week or so, but I read the articles there are some choice quotes from...

www.resetera.com

Oliver North states he is being forced out of the NRA

ahahahahaha #ETTD Learn it. Love it. Live it.

www.resetera.com

Everytown for Gun Safety Files Complaint About NRA’s Tax-Exempt Status With IRS, Calls For Federal and State Investigations into the NRA

The gun safety rights group, Everytown for Gun Safety has filed a complaint about the NRA's tax-exempt status with the IRS and is urging for state and federal investigations into the NRA...

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The NRA used to be a legitimate organization dedicated to gun safety and education. You've only seen in the last several years where there has been a curiously large amount of money, some of it from the now-sanctioned Alexander Torshin, an associate of Putin who the US sanctioned during the 2016 fallout, and from there the message changed to that of 2A and arming teachers and security guards at every school to protect from school shooters.

Senate report from last year indicating the NRA was a foreign asset for Russia ahead of 2016: https://www.npr.org/2019/09/27/7648...ussia-ahead-of-2016-new-senate-report-reveals

FEC Republicans block effort to investigate NRA ties to Russia: https://archive.thinkprogress.org/f...e-nras-financial-ties-to-russia-a916adcc7015/

The NRA initially admitted that Torshin had bought a lifetime membership. https://everytown.org/press/new-nra...al-reportedly-at-center-of-fbi-investigation/

...then said later it received another two dozen donations either from Russian nationals or addresses based in Russia: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/nra...ontributions-russian-donors/story?id=54395292

While the overall money contributed from Russian sources that is reported at this time isn't significant, the above spells out a lot of what's going on with Ms. James' charge: the NRA wasn't keeping track of jack shit, or was maliciously trying to hide it. Why? Because they were blowing donation money on themselves, for one. But for another, the idea that they were receiving money from Russia, and then donating huge amounts to Trump's campaign could open up campaign finance violations, FARA charges, all this really bad criminal shit that could land the leadership in prison.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
As a gun owner and someone that enjoys it as a hobby, I also hate the NRA but wonder what's going to fill the void after the NRA is gone. They do provide some good training and safety resources, and while I agree the organization as a whole needs to go, I hope something else replaces that quickly.

the political part of the NRA sucks though, good riddance

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NRA used to be a legitimate organization dedicated to gun safety and education. You've only seen in the last several years where there has been a curiously large amount of money, some of it from the now-sanctioned Alexander Torshin, an associate of Putin who the US sanctioned during the 2016 fallout, and from there the message changed to that of 2A and arming teachers and security guards at every school to protect from school shooters.

Senate report from last year indicating the NRA was a foreign asset for Russia ahead of 2016: https://www.npr.org/2019/09/27/7648...ussia-ahead-of-2016-new-senate-report-reveals

FEC Republicans block effort to investigate NRA ties to Russia: https://archive.thinkprogress.org/f...e-nras-financial-ties-to-russia-a916adcc7015/

The NRA initially admitted that Torshin had bought a lifetime membership. https://everytown.org/press/new-nra...al-reportedly-at-center-of-fbi-investigation/

...then said later it received another two dozen donations either from Russian nationals or addresses based in Russia: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/nra...ontributions-russian-donors/story?id=54395292

While the overall money contributed from Russian sources that is reported at this time isn't significant, the above spells out a lot of what's going on with Ms. James' charge: the NRA wasn't keeping track of jack shit, or was maliciously trying to hide it. Why? Because they were blowing donation money on themselves, for one. But for another, the idea that they were receiving money from Russia, and then donating huge amounts to Trump's campaign could open up campaign finance violations, FARA charges, all this really bad criminal shit that could land the leadership in prison.

Would be totally awesome to see LaPierre and his flunkies put in jail for this.

Since the NRA is a nonprofit, there's specific things the NRA cannot do which they have done that is against the law, I'm glad to see that New York has took the lead and is actively trying to disband the NRA.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
As a gun owner and someone that enjoys it as a hobby, I also hate the NRA but wonder what's going to fill the void after the NRA is gone. They do provide some good training and safety resources, and while I agree the organization as a whole needs to go, I hope something else replaces that quickly.
The National AR-15 Association.

Unless the training is, 'don't own fucking guns' that training is not good.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The NRA is disliked by a fair number of gun owners from what I've seen.
Possible, sure, but I mean I said NRA members, and I think a lot of NRA members like the NRA quite a bit.

LOL, what NRA members? Other people in this thread are correct that the majority of gun owners in this country haven't been fond of the NRA for ages. I've interacted with some of these people - in the deep south no less. The word has actually gotten around that the NRA doesn't actually care about any of them, which is why they've been ditching their memberships en-masse.

This is silly, too. Your anecdotes don't change that in spite of their depleting popularity they've still continued extracting hundreds of millions of dollars from their millions of members. I sadly interact with some of these dumb shits here in the south and they're still here?

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
This is in a round about way aimed at Trump too. No doubt there's links with the NRA to Trump Org.

This also explains the money drying up out of nowhere a few years ago, they likely threw everything to fight this.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see this somehow winning the election for Trump, folks. The NRA diehards were already voting for him this Fall. At best it re-motivates some of his voters that might have been somewhat disillusioned recently, and I can't see that moving the needle much. NRA was already the group most often claiming "Dems will take your guns away" anyways.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The political ramifications of this lawsuit will impact local and state Tea Partiers and Republicans running for office who rely on NRA money and clout more than it will move the needle on the Presidential election.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously overdue...

Besides public scrutiny, is there anything that keeps the organization from setting up shop in another state? I know that the Trump family is barred from being on the board of another charity chartered in NY State, for example, but I assume the state's jurisdiction ends once you leave the state.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will definitely be their election plank now, even if it doesn't play for too long. Have to hope enough suburban people have had enough of this culture war shit.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This will definitely be their election plank now, even if it doesn't play for too long. Have to hope enough suburban people have had enough of this gun culture war shit.

That would be a base play, for sure... I could see it having GOTV effects on the right, but I don't think it will swing voters... I remember seeing polling that BLM was more popular than the NRA... in Texas.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
I can't beyond noting that state AsG, federal prosecutors, etc. don't bring these sorts of actions against individuals or institutions, seeking criminal charges or enormous civil penalties or dissolution, unless the case is very strong. In essence, the idea is to bring the charges and move forward only after the case has been built to where it's a near-certainty (note near, not literal) to win. You do the vast majority of the work proving the case before charges are filed.

This isn't like a lawsuit to expand or strike down the ACA, for example, where its an inherently political issue and involves constitutional matters.

This action is a use of the state police power.
I appreciate the info, thanks.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
It would be best for the NRA to dissolve, didnt the AG basically state their debts outweighed their revenue and assets? keep the NRA alive, all it'll do is just soak up money for their bs. better perhaps to have money flow to better run 2nd Amendment orgs without the weight of the NRA's legal battles.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
This is silly, too. Your anecdotes don't change that in spite of their depleting popularity they've still continued extracting hundreds of millions of dollars from their millions of members. I sadly interact with some of these dumb shits here in the south and they're still here?

The point is is that the NRA was already dying, especially after they stopped getting money from Russia. This lawsuit will be the final nail in the coffin, now that all of its skeletons in the closet are being exposed. And as for the racist idiots who are still members of the NRA... we already all knew they were some of the most dangerous motherfuckers in the entire country. They're the folks that have ALREADY been gunning to go to war for Der Fuhrer.

People who think the NRA being sued out of existence is gonna actually change the current trajectory of the country are treating it the same way they treat the Trump administration. They're treating it like its the cause of all the shit blowing up, rather than a symptom of everything that was ALREADY wrong with America. And while we obviously can't predict how this is all gonna play out, I guarantee you things wouldn't be much different if the NRA did survive past 2020.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this somehow winning the election for Trump, folks. The NRA diehards were already voting for him this Fall. At best it re-motivates some of his voters that might have been somewhat disillusioned recently, and I can't see that moving the needle much. NRA was already the group most often claiming "Dems will take your guns away" anyways.

it won't, there are plenty of liberal and leftists gun owners and they don't like the NRA. literally everyone ive ever met that is Pro-NRA is a conservative, anyone upset by this was voting for Trump already.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with what money?

they spent exponentially less money in 2018 than they did in 2016.

That would be a base play, for sure... I could see it having GOTV effects on the right, but I don't think it will swing voters... I remember seeing polling that BLM was more popular than the NRA... in Texas.

I don't think they're even trying to bother to appeal to beyond the base, so I could see it happening even if it doesn't make political or financial sense currently.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
The NRA has been hemorrhaging money and users for years, but dont let their inevitable downfall be taken as any real victory. The money and members are just going to switch over to the other gun rights organizations and by and large those who do still arnt going to vote democrat, especially with Bidens AWB talk. Most will probably still vote trump even if they hate him if it means keeping a D out of the white house.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be pissed if I was Biden right now.

This could and should have waited until after the election. This will do absolutely nothing but spark a fire in Trump's supporters by offering what will be called hard evidence that the democrats want to take everyone's guns.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This could and should have waited until after the election. This will do absolutely nothing but spark a fire in Trump's supporters by offering what will be called hard evidence that the democrats want to take everyone's guns.

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. Why stir the pot right now?

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Biden's been doing perfectly fine with his platform on guns anyhow in pissing off gun owners. That, his embrace of Beto....i honestly wished he shut up more about guns tbh.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City

What's left of Trump's base will not be enough to easily win this election. Trump has been losing the republican suburbs from the pandamic/economic crash/police brutality protests. This isn't enough to significantly tip the needle.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Obviously overdue...

Besides public scrutiny, is there anything that keeps the organization from setting up shop in another state? I know that the Trump family is barred from being on the board of another charity chartered in NY State, for example, but I assume the state's jurisdiction ends once you leave the state.

Once the grift is exposed, the question becomes why would anyone give money to those same specific leaders to run a gun rights advocacy platform again? Why would they not fall under the same level of scrutiny from local AGs again, or the FBI? Would fancy pants East coast elitists like LaPierre really want to move from their fancy pants suburban palaces to Bumfuck USA just for the chance to continue this charade?

Once investigators in one state put you under a microscope, it doesn't take a lot of digging for the next to get probable cause.

Paul Erickson (Butina's exbf) still ended up in federal prison despite running his grift out of South Dakota.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Wow at the people saying that the AG should have waited for political purposes... F that guys. I get that it's inconvenient to a narrative or political campaign, but that's why it's a separate fucking branch of the government. It shouldn't wait.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolute clown show to have done this in fucking august 2 months before the election, no way this won't rile Trump's base and allow him to rally. Wtf is up with democrats and their self inflicted wounds.