• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Didn't find a thread or any discussion about it in the community thread but please lock if it's already been posted.

www.altchar.com

Rumour: Screenshots from a new Yakuza spin-off game reportedly leak online

Yakuza spin-off title could be in development if the latest leak from 4chan is legit. The leak states that the game seems to be based on the story from Yakuza Online and features playable Ryuji Goda as well as locations from Yakuza 5 and 6.

Rumor comes from 4chan so take it with a grain of salt, but the leaker did post these two (blurry) screenshots:

A.jpg

B.jpg

Looks like these screenshots have been taken in Onomichi, if you look at this map from 6, the area I circled in yellow matches the minimap on the first screenshot:

hIVZlmv.jpg

Also looks like party members are still in, so possibly still turned based? Actually Joon Gi Han might just be following Ryuji, and bars on top are probably heat / health bars. So wait and see.

Ryuji Goda had his own story arc in the mobile game in Japan (same outfit, too) just like Kasuga did before getting his own game:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Would be unexpected but at the same time wouldn't surprise me, 0 was amazing as a prequel so they might try it again

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
We just got introduced to Kasuga Ichiban, and I want more of him. But if this is a spinoff and not a mainline game, sure why not.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Hmm. I didn't have a great affinity for Goda, but a new game starring him might change that. Looks like they have Joon Gi-Han probably also as a placeholder.

I would love for this to continue the RPG style of Yakuza games, I absolutely loved YLAD. But if this is a spin-off, I wouldn't mind this being action and another Kasuga led mainline RPG being separate

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be really easy to fake this? Model swaps in Yakuza 5/6 are pretty easy to do, and even if they had to model Ryuji from scratch as opposed to pulling model data from Yakuza Online, it doesn't seem like it'd be a huge stretch to come up with something that works well enough to make these images.

OP
OP
Dlanor A. Knox

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
We just got introduced to Kasuga Ichiban, and I want more of him. But if this is a spinoff and not a mainline game, sure why not.

Ichiban's great i'd definitely want more of him aswell, but according to the leaker this is a spin-off, not a mainline game.

Those screenshots look like PS2 games.

Leaks often look bad and these images are pretty blurry, and if it's real it's still a work in progress.

This was the first AC: Origins leaked image online:

first-leaked-screenshot-of-ass-image-291.jpg

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
FUCK YES! Hopefully it's true, I love absolutely everything I've been hearing about Y7 so far (waiting for the PS5 version myself) but a spin-off between that one and Ichiban's next game should be a nice change of pace.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is that Joon-Gi Han?

Looks like him, the Y7 version specifically.

Don't know exactly how this would fit into the timeline

Either he somehow survived his death at the end of 2 and is back hanging around with either Han (before 6) or his body double (I guess any time?), or it's a prequel in which case it makes sense that he's working alongside the Jingweon in some capacity.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Nice that the huge investment in the original Shenmue is still paying off and they're using the engine for development ;P

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The screen shots look like they are from a PSP game lol. Is this supposed to be a mobile game? Switch?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The screen shots look like they are from a PSP game lol. Is this supposed to be a mobile game? Switch?

It's in an editor mode so stuff is just disabled.

Joon-Gi Han is just a development placeholder I assume but I assume this is set in the past, considering you know Yakuza 2.

OP
OP
Dlanor A. Knox

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Wouldn't it be really easy to fake this? Model swaps in Yakuza 5/6 are pretty easy to do, and even if they had to model Ryuji from scratch as opposed to pulling model data from Yakuza Online, it doesn't seem like it'd be a huge stretch to come up with something that works well enough to make these images.

Doesn't seem that easy, especially the weather, correct me if i'm wrong but I don't remember ever seeing this weather in Onomichi, wouldn't that be hard to mod?

If it's fake, then whoever made this put some real effort into it. :p

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Hilarious that they start to bring back so many dead Characters but refuse to bring back Kaoru Sayama.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be too shocked if real I guess, bit surprised they'd go to Goda though, is there really much there that needs exploring that a new character couldn't, especially if turn based, Goda was a tank.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like him, the Y7 version specifically.

Don't know exactly how this would fit into the timeline

Either he somehow survived his death at the end of 2 and is back hanging around with either Han (before 6) or his body double (I guess any time?), or it's a prequel in which case it makes sense that he's working alongside the Jingweon in some capacity.

Yakuza 2 spoilers:
I don't see how he could have survived. They had a funeral for him and everything, so that would be a very weird retcon.

It would have to be a prequel to 2/kiwami 2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd not get too excited about this, I've discussed it elsewhere, it screams "fake" so deafeningly loud that it seems really unlikely to be real, but rather its a mix of modding and fake shots because:

For starters - the map is EXACTLY like Onomichi. If you look at the shots released, and check how new games add locations (shops etc.) to returning maps, notice how there's only 4 spots accessible in the shots, which are:
The pawn shop
Snack Bar Gaudi
A hostess club (the one that Hirose runs)
and the oyster? place.

All four are from Yakuza 6, and... should all four even be accessible in this game? The oyster place and pawn shop sure (though I'd wonder who's running the pawn store if the game is prequel like the Ryuuji game is in Online, since the owner in 6 worked a completely different job around the time that the plot takes place)

Gaudi? Maybe. Ryuuji isn't the conversive type though but its Yakuza, it recycles locations and mini games so sure.

The hostess club though? Why's there no playspot icon on it like Gaudi has? Probably because its a fake shot and they are just reusing 6's map.

Also, modders have had access to maps and models for a while. It's almost certainly just taking a point where Kiryu and Nagumo (or was it Yuta) are walking around, and modded them out for Ryuuji and Han.

Oh, and just a few more things to consider:
The RGG Online plot for Ryuuji has him visit no less than FIVE cities so far: Sotenbori, Hiroshima, Nagoya, Fukaoka and Sapporo. And Kuze shows up. So... the words "dream" and "on" spring to mind. No way is it adapting this plot line as is. Because 3/5 cities don't exist in the dragon engine and that sort of work will not happen for one game that's gonna be out either this year or next (who knows at this point). You'll probably get one extra city I'd bet.
Also consider that Hiroshima's role in the plot is completely pointless and that choosing it over literally any other location makes 0 sense for the plot unless its heavily rewritten - as the other areas have a key character Ryuuji runs into (Sapporo has him meet old man Kitakata, Nagoya has him meet and fight Shinada, Fukuoka is when Kuze and Ichiban catch up to him). Oh, and Ichiban? Can't work. Ichiban can't meet Han in this timeline either - as canonically Ichiban cannot meet him before the events of Yakuza 7 happen (don't forget the Ryuuji story is a prequel before Yakuza 2). So they'd have to rewrite that greatly to make any sense what so ever (and don't suggest Ichiban might not remember him - he remembers a random girl he met once in Yakuza 7, he'd remember Han).

So yeah. Fake.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Uh... sure why not I guess. Didn't really care about Ryuji but I guess I could go for it if they go back to brawler style gameplay.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem that easy, especially this weather, correct me if i'm wrong but I don't remember ever seeing this weather in Onomichi, wouldn't that be hard to mod?

If it's fake, then whoever made this put some real effort into it. :p

Personally I'm reserving judgment until someone actually announces something. It's not like we haven't seen high-effort fakes before and this honestly doesn't seem like it'd have to involve a lot of effort necessarily.

Especially given that all the pieces required to put this together already exist in the wild in some form; there's nothing here that looks strictly new.

Jun 13, 2020
Ryuji Goda is badass, among the antagonists of Yakuza he's definitely the most deserving of his own game. I do hope it's not turn based though, I would like for mainline entries to be turn based but for spin off games to be brawlers. It also makes more sense for this character.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A Yakuza game with Kaoru in America :O
Heck no. Enough games take place in America, lets not waste Yakuza on such a boring played out location. Especially when there are so many other countries in Asia and Europe instead (and thankfully Nagoshi agrees, he went on record recently stating he'd rather make a game set in Europe than America)