• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know how to feel about Kiryu showing up. I get what they're going for but his story is over. All the impact of him faking his death to protect his loved ones is basically lost. I wanna believe this is a flashback but Ichiban has his post-time skip design.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to that demo. I'm slooowly going through Judgment (chapter 8) and it's kind of bumming me out. It's still good in spurts, but the pacing is shot, and imo, Ryu Ga Gotoku sidequests are significantly less interesting without Kiryu (who makes everything more interesting just by virtue of being himself).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turn based Yakuza is based Yakuza
I don't know how to feel about Kiryu showing up. I get what they're going for but his story is over. All the impact of him faking his death to protect his loved ones is basically lost. I wanna believe this is a flashback but Ichiban has his post-time skip design.
Yeah not a fan, just let it rest for just 1 game even.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I think they probably felt pressured to include Kiryu since they weren't sure if Ichiban and the new gameplay style would be well-received. Hopefully it's well done and he's not a huge part of the story.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yakuza 7 and Final Fantasy VII, the two greatest RPGs of all time. Is the seven a coincidence? Can't be. Look out 2020.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means lockers and keys are back after being gone in Yakuza 6 & Judgment-
yakuza_7.png

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Thanks for the heads up on the demo, will grab it tomorrow!

I really hope
that Kiryu tease is just a small secret/bonus thing. I'm all in on getting a new protagonist and letting him rest for a long time.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested to know whether they were always planning to have Kiryu show up. Feels very much like an 'IN CASE OF EMERGENCY BREAK GLASS' kind of thing to win people back if the turn-based RPG thing went sour.

Looking forward to that demo, though. It's pretty much going to be the decider on whether I import this or not.

Kevinsky

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Aw man I rather not let Kiryu be part of the main story. He needs a rest. His ideal cameo at most should be a super ridiculously hard post game bonus boss.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oh shit
I was half-expecting Kiryu just to be the superboss of this game tbh. Him showing up in the main story seems weird considering that this looked to be a fresh start for the series, but I'm not complaining lol

May 15, 2019
I am incredibly bummed they're pulling this card this early, especially after Judgment did so well restraining itself from making references to the Yakuza games. Couldn't even make it one mainline game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I am incredibly bummed they're pulling this card this early, especially after Judgment did so well restraining itself from making references to the Yakuza games. Couldn't even make it one mainline game.
Judgement is technically not a part of the yakuza storyline, but since this is a "Yakuza'' game proper, i kinda assumed it was gonna have some relation to the previous entries

May 15, 2019
Judgement is technically not a part of the yakuza storyline, but since this is a "Yakuza'' game proper, i kinda assumed it was gonna have some relation to the previous entries
Yeah but this specifically is the thing I wanted to see them avoid. Judgment had less references than I was expecting, which is part of why this is such a bummer to me. They convinced me they had the self restraint to not do this.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Yeah but this specifically is the thing I wanted to see them avoid. Judgment had less references than I was expecting, which is part of why this is such a bummer to me. They convinced me they had the self restraint to not do this.
i dunno why youd think that

judgment was them breaking almost completely with the story and characters, thats why they gave it a completely different title

this is a yakuza

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surreal cause I was in yokohama a few days ago and was able to recognize things in the trailer lol

Jan 4, 2018
I was really hoping they'd let him rest for a couple games and bring him back as an old man later on. At least don't put him in the trailer.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
My first impressions of the demo are extremely positive (keeping in mind I was pretty happy with the change in the first place). Feels good - trash battles are a bit long, but seem much easier to avoid. The theming of enemies is hilarious.

The new area is also really lovely in terms of how open parts of it are. The sprites on the load screen are also sooooo charming.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Holding out a wan hope that that final scene is a flashback to Ichiban before his prison term and not after.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That ending is a bummer. Hopefully it's just some dream/secret boss thing because that's the one thing I didn't want them to do for this game.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Hmmm... don't know if I want to watch.. but am looking forward to hear about demo impressions.

If it who I think it is, I agree with a lot of people here and hope that it an Amon type of thing.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they've painted themselves into a corner.
Now people are going to be upset that Kiryu is in the game... but they're going to be even more upset if its presence will turn out to be just a cameo. It's a loose-loose situation I think.

Honestly as a long time Yakuza fan I'm already very burned out of the series (still have Kiwami 2 to finish, and yet to takle both FOTNS and Judgement), and this becoming a turn based JRPG put the nail on the coffin for me. This is regardless of what happen in the trailer obviously.

Aug 22, 2018
Looking forward to trying out the demo later today, I'm curious what they're going to do regarding
Kiryu, since I feel like his story arc was neatly wrapped up at the end of 6 and to bring him back after that is kinda ehhhh. Though I'm down if he becomes the new Amon like others have suggested and not a big part of the story.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
What great trailer that summarizes the whole fall and rise of Ichiban even if the redemption story has been done to death in the series. I'm sure it's putting a new angle on the theme. I'm looking forward to the English version to understand what's being said. Although

It still drives me nuts that the Jingweon mafia pretty boy leader is magically alive after being shot in the head in 6. I wonder how they're going to explain that. Unless it's all in Ichiban's head that he's still alive or lol it was a body double.

And Kiryu being back is all kinds of interesting. It's either he's a super boss, mentor figure or a fever dream that Ichiban experiences when it's really someone else.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
im hoping there will be a translated version of the trailer that will pop up soon

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think
Kiryu will be this game's Amon. I really hope he is not part of any side story/main story stuff.

Honestly they shouldn't have brought him back. Not now. They should've waited a couple of more games before doing a Kiryu cameo/side story in one of the games.
I think, going by the trailer, that you might also some more allies to your party besides the main 4.
They did confirm that a while back, yea.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I put 2.5 hours into the demo and while I know very little Japanese, here's my impressions-

So the demo has-
-Go Kart racing
-Trash pick up on a bike - gets points and trade them for goods.
-Watch a movie/don't fall asleep -mini-game
-4 sub-stories to complete
-UFO/ claws machines in the arcade (you can't play Virtua Fighter 2, Outrun or Fantasy Zone in the Demo)
-Shogi
-Mahjong (I didn't have enough money to play so I'm not sure it's active in the demo)
-Karaoke -1 song
-Vending machines
-Convenience stores
-Restaurants
-Pawn shop

I didn't find any locker keys, but around town you can pickup-
-Insects from trees.
-Coins.
-Find hidden silver cases.

Tips-
-Go to the purple dot on your map, fight and go upstairs to the office. Your 4th party member will join you once you get through the dialogue.
-There's 2 weapon vendors and an armor one, I bought Iciban a massager with most of my money and it proved to be pretty powerful.
-Eating at a restaurant can cheaply refill all your party's HP & MP even if it's one dish (2nd option down).
-Watch out for traffic as just clipping a moving car can take 100hp from you, conversely you can hit an enemy into moving traffic for high damage.
-If you want to avoid fights, slow to waking speed and hug the side of the road as you walk past them. You can get rather close without initiating a fight. Running by them will automatically start a battle.
-Press X just as you're about to get hit to defend with a "Just Guard". This can be done for successive hits as well.
-Watch out early on for the enemy in a trench coat on the North of the map as the battle automatically started and my party was wiped (not a big penalty).

The RPG trappings and little touches are great. There's a few too many enemies, but you can avoid them and I never had any chase me. There's a variety to the roving groups and trying out the attacks and specials is cool. I'm wait and see on the new city as it's a little sparse and sprawled out on initial impressions.

I can't wait to play more once the community figures out all the stuff I couldn't understand because of the language barrier.