• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That's some good news, I lost some exploration progress on Outer Wilds the other weekend because the game was closed from QR for no good reason (I hadn't even started another game after playing it, bizarre).

Hopefully pinned games will not have these inconsistencies.
could have been a patch.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I haven't had a bad experience with Quick Resume, it's such a good feature! It works great for the games I've been playing (Psychonaughts, Guardians of the Galaxy, Fenyx Rising, Witcher 3)... Fenyx Rising has a bug where saves will occasionally corrupt - something to do with connection to Ubisoft servers when reloading a Quick Resume game - but the fix is to load another Quick Resume title, restart the console, load it up and save. Very rarely happens.. and I blame Ubisoft for that, not MS.

I didn't know that patches / updates could clear a Quick Resume session though. I tend to save before leaving a game anyway, but that makes it all the more important.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Glad to see that they are still doing work with QR. It needs it.

Amazing feature the majority of the time but some of the games I have played the most have had problems with it. I lost hours of gameplay with AC Valhalla.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Thats nice but they should fix Quick Resume per say before adding stuff to it...I dont use it anymore,most games dont work.Edge of Eternity recently doesnt work,even if you go the main menu,pressing start does nothing,so I have to close it on top of restarting it...Tales of Arise was a 50/50 chance of working,Octopath as well...

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Thinking about it some more, I'd like to see them take it a step further. Let me pin as many that will fit rather than just two.
Won't happen. The amount of space available is enough for at a minimum three games in QR (though obviously more can be there), so they can only guarantee two games pinned while letting it still work. That was an explanation they gave here i think.

May 14, 2021
I've got over 100 hours into AC Odyssey. It's been in QR the entire time. 3 seconds to resume right where I was is simply the best next gen feature by far. The comments about disabling it per game are weird. Its simple, just don't use it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see them continue to support and improve QR. It's a great feature, but can be a little buggy at times.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just want quick resume to work with Mass Effect.

It literally prevents me from loading it up because sitting through two sets of menus is such a chore nowadays

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Won't happen. The amount of space available is enough for at a minimum three games in QR (though obviously more can be there), so they can only guarantee two games pinned while letting it still work. That was an explanation they gave here i think.
But if it's already got a quick resume state, then that means it fits. You'd just be pinning what is already guaranteed to fit.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
It's great to see them continue to improve QR. generally I haven't had much issues with QR unless it's a multiplayer game.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
But if it's already got a quick resume state, then that means it fits. You'd just be pinning what is already guaranteed to fit.
True, but I think because there isn't a UX/UI signaling how much space is left in the cache for QR they don't want a situation where someone pins 3 games maxing out the QR cache and then play a 4th game, and get frustrated as to why it isn't in QR, you know? Leaving a guaranteed 1 slot free makes sure QR "still works" without that UI element. And I don't really think there's an elegant way of communicating the QR cache availability and how much some game may take up at time of suspension, you know?

Jul 26, 2018
Quick resume has been more consistent for me recently, this is great.

Also the laggy guide being fixed is a godsend
Maybe I just got lucky with the games I'm playing rn, but a year after it was introducing its been working very consistently for me. It's consistently working even for live service games that need you to stay online (division 2, Warframe, R6e), which were rather hit or miss at launch, which make you sign it again when you resume but you avoid the whole hooting time.

QR is some seriously good shit and it's become second nature to me.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
True, but I think because there isn't a UX/UI signaling how much space is left in the cache for QR they don't want a situation where someone pins 3 games maxing out the QR cache and then play a 4th game, and get frustrated as to why it isn't in QR, you know? Leaving a guaranteed 1 slot free makes sure QR "still works" without that UI element. And I don't really think there's an elegant way of communicating the QR cache availability and how much some game may take up at time of suspension, you know?

I mean clearly they would have to give some sort of status of how full the Quick Resume storage cache is and make it a warning that it will limit the ability to store more. All games don't even have a Quick Resume compatibility so even playing a game isn't guaranteed to create a Quick Resume state even if there was available space. I don't see that being too big of a deal or frustrating to people as long as you stress that the cache is close to being full and that's easy to show the current state. It's not even really any different than how playing a new game can blow away older caches. At least with not limiting the pins, it gives you more control over what caches get blown away. Allowing as many pins that can currently fit is a solvable problem.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I just got lucky with the games I'm playing rn, but a year after it was introducing its been working very consistently for me. It's consistently working even for live service games that need you to stay online (division 2, Warframe, R6e), which were rather hit or miss at launch, which make you sign it again when you resume but you avoid the whole hooting time.

QR is some seriously good shit and it's become second nature to me.
Really liked it in BFV always. Only thing i needed to do was hit the RT button to go online again. Wich is pretty instant also.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Awesome.

This was definitely a community request and it's good to see it being addressed. Saying "should have been there from the start" is a bit of a cheap shot, IMO, given this is a next-gen feature only Xbox offers.

In the spirit of hoping community requests continue to matter, I add my voice to these:

They need to also allow you to disable quick resume on a per game basis, because some games do not play nice with the feature.

Now please give me an option to disable quick resume from certain games all together.

Nice, Still want the option to disable QR as well.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You do you, and hey, whatever works best for your peace of mind, but look up how it works and you'll see these fears have no reason to be. Worst scenario, you'll just have to load up your last save because the feature won't play nice with a certain game.
Thanks! I'll do it soon.

Completly understand this point of view. Would never use the feature either. Just like how I dont put consoles in Sleep mode. Everything has to be turned off properly.
Exactly like me! I didn't use rest mode on PS4 at all, and just used it a few times on XSX, because I didn't have any other choice. My download speed isn't good and I left console in that mode for about 10 hours to download games.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
First game I really used it with was halo infinite, after I resumed it I kept playing the campaign for about 6 hours and then then quit out normally etc. When I went back the next day all those 6 hours hadn't saved and I've never played the game since as it wasn't worth it for me to go through that again. If microsofts first party games have issues with it then I'm not gonna use it until it's 100% fixed which I hope it is soon as I love the feature.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Wish I could use Quick Resume. Still hearing/reading stories about corrupt saves or broken achievements. Not worth it for me at this point.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Completly understand this point of view. Would never use the feature either. Just like how I dont put consoles in Sleep mode. Everything has to be turned off properly.
Quick Resume works when your console is completely off. You can even unplug it.
Exactly like me! I didn't use rest mode on PS4 at all, and just used it a few times on XSX, because I didn't have any other choice. My download speed isn't good and I left console in that mode for about 10 hours to download games
QR works completely differently than rest mode on PS4, PS5, Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. Rest modes keep the game in RAM, which means turning the console completely off, erases what's in RAM. Quick Resume uses the SSD instead and will work, even if you unplug the Series X|S.

Last edited:

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Neat. Should be useful with some of the bigger RPGs coming soon (mainly Starfield) I use it a fair bit and It's shocking how well it works...most of the time. I have the quick resume for Evil Within 2 on there that I started replaying in October and kind of forgot about until last month. It loaded right where I was last. It also had my AC Valhalla session. BUT the Quick Resume seems to interfere with games that appear to always need a connection so that was messy for a few minutes playing before it connect back to the Ubi servers.

That seems to be the source of all the issues I have had with it. Any time the game requires a constant bloody connection to some bullshit server, even if it's single player only, then the qwick resume messes it up. I don't blame the Quick Resume for that.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
And I still haven't used Quick Resume (except once to test it) and always completely quit. Sadly I have a phobia about these things and think if I use it, my save files will be corrupted or it'll even damage the console! lol
Save files can't be corrupted by Quick Resume; when a game saves, it doesn't write the data itself or open any file handles. Instead it makes a simple data buffer in memory and hands it off to the Xbox operating system. The OS then handles the drive and cloud storage itself, entirely independent of the games actions.
Essentially the moment the game hands off this buffer, you could just immediately kill the entire game hypervisor (the OS container the game runs in) and the save data will still be 100% intact, because the game isn't controlling any of it. Quick Resume will be much the same, as it's just chucking the game's execution state to the drive and then closing the process.

As for the console, no this is impossible. Impossible like eating the sun, that is. Software cannot damage hardware*. NCIS and Bones are not even remotely accurate to how computers actually work. :P
Besides, all Quick Resume does is store the execution state to the drive. You can think of it like how save states work in emulators, except without the hardware emulation.

*Yes, you could have software configure things to overclock hardware to unsafe conditions, but that is extremely non-standard, and not something the Xbox has anyway. Also any program that is able to do that will require hardware capable of accepting the parameters, such hardware will also be designed not to accept unsafe parameters, so...

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've had a Series S about two or three weeks and quick resume has been my favorite feature so far.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Really cool feature! But I think most times games leave quick resume for me is when they're updated, which will still be true with this feature. I don't think I play enough different games for this feature to make much of a difference.

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
Can someone explain to me why I have to manually look for a system update instead of my xbox prompting me? I have auto update my games & apps checked, so I wonder why this happens? (General question. I know this update isn't out yet)

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Can someone explain to me why I have to manually look for a system update instead of my xbox prompting me? I have auto update my games & apps checked, so I wonder why this happens? (General question. I know this update isn't out yet)
This happened right around when the pandemic started. With everyone at home, servers were suddenly getting very overloaded. To help mitigate this, automatic update queues are now staggered.

This applies to everything, not just Xbox.

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
Where's the quick resume game ban list that'd be much more useful. Hate having to close out and reboot apex or smite every time I play them

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Super handy for households with more than one person using the Xbox regularly.

So many of these quality of life updates help family situations out more than people seem to realise.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
For non online focused titles it works great.

Pretty sure I had AC Odyssey in QR untouched for like 8 months and went back to it right from where I left off.

Pretty sure it got an update in that time too lol

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Where's the quick resume game ban list that'd be much more useful. Hate having to close out and reboot apex or smite every time I play them

this

What's more egregious are the first party titles

Halo Infinite: MP straight up breaks from QR and they say it will corrupt campaign data too
ESO: Yea it's an MMO I didn't expect QR to take you the game but the client can still screw up when QR takes you to the login screen.
FH5: Haven't played it in a minute but had plenty of friend convoy/general connectivity issues that we nailed down to QR's fault.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Updates rollout gradually over a period of time. Over time, an increasing subset of consoles get the update automatically, until it becomes mandatory toward the end of that period of time.

During that time, of course, anyone can manually go to system settings to force the update sooner.

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
Updates rollout gradually over a period of time. Over time, an increasing subset of consoles get the update automatically, until it becomes mandatory toward the end of that period of time.

During that time, of course, anyone can manually go to system settings to force the update sooner.
Thank you for the reply.